Have you tried GLP1 medications and found it didn't work for you? We'd like to hear about your experiences, what you tried, why it didn't work and how you're doing now. Click here to tell us your story

October Opportunity - holiday prep

Replies

• k8richly
    k8richly Posts: 268 Member
    5'3" 49yrs

Oct 2 - 130.5lbs
    Oct 8 - 130 lbs
    Oct 19 - I forgot to weigh in and now the batteries are dead on my scale. Sigh.

Hello all, I love that there's so much news to catch up on! @Antiopelle, OMG enjoy Greece! Your husband sounds like a pretty healthy, inspiring individual. You all have inspiring stories with all the gardening, strength sessions, marathon walking (wow!), kimchi, yoga and... mixing ice cream and chips.... What?? And what a fluffy beautiful dog! I'm sorry to hear about the poison ivy though!

I was away for 4 days with my 14 yr old daughter at her ice hockey tournament. They didn't win but boy did they have fun running around the hotel! It was a blast cheering them on, and as conditioning coach I kept them all focused on their fitness, nutrition and stretching properly to avoid injuries. Well, as focused as you can get teenagers.

I got in a couple of strength sessions - checking out the gym and its toys is always my favourite part of hotels! Plus going for runs in strange cities is so fun. Like you ladies, I like to think I am leading these young players by example too, showing them they can be fit and play sports for life if they train and eat right. I find it very inspiring being surrounded by these young elite athletes. Maybe they think I'm a boring dumpy old Mom but hopefully not. 😆
  • zenobia9777
    zenobia9777 Posts: 277 Member
    edited October 2022
    @HoneyBadger302 thanks for posting the photos. Looks lovely and the dog is beautiful. I'm glad you got a break. Self care!

@CeeBeeSlim don't stress over the sleep study. There are so many studies (!). I have been doing better with mine since I implemented the nap. Sometimes I take a Benadryl.

,@SparkSpringtime69 good news about the poison ivy. I think yoga in the morning is really nice.

One of my friends told me that a morning walk has unique benefits. I never thought about the time of day making an impact. He thinks that if you go longer than 15 to 30 minutes, you end up getting more tired, but I like my morning exercises.

Here is a link to a site that talks about why morning walks are good -- especially if you're starting off feeling bad - it helps to just get out the door for a few minutes.

https://www.irt.org.au/the-good-life/9-health-benefits-of-a-morning-walk/

Today I went to yoga and it was not my best work, but, I went!

Yesterday I walked the dogs in the afternoon and that worked out really well because it was so nice and cool.

I hope everyone has a wonderful day.
  • SparkSpringtime69
    SparkSpringtime69 Posts: 1,090 Member
    @CeeBeeSlim thanks for the link, there are a lot of recipes on there that I'd like to try out! I love Asian food. Sorry about the craving :#
    @k8richly you're setting a great example for your daughter and her team! So glad to hear you had a great time at the tournament.
    @zenobia9777 I checked out the link, it's an interesting article. I was especially interested in the part that said it could improve sleep, I could use better sleep. I get anywhere from 6-8 hours, but wake up frequently during that time. Thanks for posting it.
    I joined a Holiday Weight Loss Challenge at my gym and this first week we're supposed to get a 1-mile walk in on top of any other exercise. I did yesterday's mile after dinner, but maybe I'll rotate between night and morning to see what kind of differences I see.
  • CeeBeeSlim
    CeeBeeSlim Posts: 1,321 Member
    @SparkSpringtime69 Glad you find the site useful. And as I type my niece is cooking up some summer rolls - mine with ribeye steak - hers with pork. Can’t wait!

Thanks for sharing that study @zenobia9777. I completely agree. Second to hubby I miss my morning walks when I’m home. I took nature for granted as a NY’er but to hear birds, the wind, notice the tree leaves, colors etc is a great start to the day. Makes the unpredictability of the caregiving easier to take!

k8richly - “mom” yes. “Boring, dumpy and old” far from it! Esp if you’re checking out the gyms while in a hotel! I’m pricing their room service for an 8 oz burger, fries, apple pie and ice cream!!😀
  • zenobia9777
    zenobia9777 Posts: 277 Member
    edited October 2022
    @k8richly so wonderful to hear about kids doing positive activities. You must be proud and you definitely are a cool mom. Congrats on being down half a pound. It is progress!

@SparkSpringtime69 please let me know how it goes with the walk. I'm glad it was useful.

@CeeBeeSlim hang in there with the caregiving. I had a lot of family members to help, but I wish I had gone to a separate support group or even private therapy. It was just grueling.

My siblings and I couldn't seem to get on the same page about things. My mother and I had never really gotten along well. It was a true test. But she got the best of care.

I may be signing off for the next week and a half as I get ready for vacation and nurse my sprained big toe. Yes, I missed a step coming down the stairs last night and I'm just lucky I probably didn't break it. I'm so annoyed because I was actually trying to be careful.

I'm sure it will be fine but I'm not going to take any chances and there will be lots of activity on our daily excursions. Plus I can do yoga on the ship or run along the deck. This is the biggest splurge of our lives!!!

Have a great weekend and I'll see you in November. Hope somebody starts in November challenge. We are going to need it!
  • GoRun2
    GoRun2 Posts: 448 Member
    Hello, I'd like to come join you. I'd like to lose the last 10 lbs by Christmas. I have 7.6 lbs to go. I'm a walker and average about 4 - 5 miles a day with a 8 mile walk about once a week.

I had a bad fall while hiking and messed up my shoulder so I'm working with a physical therapist. No handweights for the time being.
  • SherryRueter
    SherryRueter Posts: 3,129 Member
    I could use the motivation of a group like this - just to stay on track.
    TBH if I could get to 103 I would be thrilled but, I know that 105 is basically the same thing.

5'1" 51yrs

Oct 20 - 105.0

Thought provoking question: What's your why?
  • CeeBeeSlim
    @zenobia9777 Thank you. I’m hanging in there. I joined a support group but most if not all of the participants were spouses of dementia patients. If nothing else, it helped me see things from my father’s perspective.

Enjoy Greece! We will miss you!

Welcome @GoRun2 Sorry to hear about your fall. Same goal here or thereabouts - last 10-15. With less than 8 to go I’m sure you can do it! Your activity is in check! How’s your nutrition - I struggle - but have been great with limiting the processed food the last few days. I already feel better.

Welcome @SherryRueter. I’d be thrilled to reach 113 but I know a range makes more sense to me. Maybe 113 - 119. My why - I want to be the best me - strong, fit, confident - at peak physical and mental health. Over a decade of eldercare has left me a bit spent, but loving my new strength training program. Just a lil more lower belly pudge to go! 💪💪

Great group here! Hope you both stick around.
  • SparkSpringtime69
    edited October 2022
    Hi @GoRun2 and @SherryRueter, welcome to the group! I've been here a few months now and have found it to be a fun and supportive group. GoRun, I"d love to get up to an 8 mile walk once a week, I'm only at about 3 miles tops right now. Sherry, my why is to keep a strong, healthy body into my later years in order to avoid many diseases and injuries (I'm in my early 60s).
    @zenobia9777, I think I'm going to do the 1 mile walks at night for the rest of this week (challenge week is Wed to Tues) and then switch to morning starting next Wednesday. I think that'd be a better "experiment" than switching every day. I hope you have a great time in Greece.
  • k8richly
    k8richly Posts: 268 Member
    5'3" 49yrs

Oct 2 - 130.5lbs
    Oct 8 - 130 lbs
    Oct 19 - I forgot to weigh in and now the batteries are dead on my scale. Sigh.
    Oct 22 - new scale - 130.5 ? Will weigh again in the morning. Nekkid. LOL

@CeeBeeSlim there's no way you aren't taking advantage of hotel gyms - you are one fit committed mama! I have elder care dragging me down too, but from afar. I may need a quick flight across country soon (like I did back in May). I don't know what's better, having it consume your days when they are close or consume your mind when you are far. Frankly, I think it's better to have distance which probably makes me a bad person. Ugh.

Welcome @SherryRueter and @GoRun2 ! You've come to the right place. Lots of inspiration here!

Here's some inspiration for our birthdays:
    https://www.shape.com/celebrities/celebrity-workouts/jennifer-garner-full-body-workout?utm_source=emailshare&utm_medium=social&utm_campaign=mobilesharebutton2
  • SherryRueter
    I hope to be here a while.

Maybe I should focus on a range more as well. Food for thought there💛

Thanks for all of your whys. Mine is mainly because I feel happier with myself (???) I feel better mentally when I know I’m not eating 💩 . And I feel more energy then too.

@k8richly it sounds like your children or family members live a plane ride away. My hubby and 2 grown children live heee in Tennessee. The remainder of the family is in Northwest iowa … 13hrs away.

Present plan for nutrition is clean eating for 21 days ….. day 1 Monday
  • Antiopelle
    Antiopelle Posts: 1,184 Member
    edited October 2022
    @HoneyBadger302 : great pics from your trip, what a superlovely dog !! Moving is one of the biggest stresses in life, keep that in mind and be kind to yourself.

@k8richly: you truly lead by example and I don't think for a second the puppies see you as a dumpy old mom ! :smiley:

@zenobia9777: ow, so sorry to hear you've hurt your toe, I hope it will heal quickly. And do enjoy your trip !! And no worries, we will start a November thread here to welcome you back !

@gorun2 & @SherryRueter : welcome to the club ! My why: they are actually whysss:
    1. to get as fit as I can to enjoy life even when a bit older. I have several examples in my life of ladies in their 60's and even 70's who still do everything I do today (diving, pumping iron, long bike hikes) That's how I want to age as well.
    2. Loose some weight to get back into my drysuit and some very beautiful clothes I own.
    3. Be as fit as I can to do the scubadiving as safely as possible.

I had a bleh week last week. On Monday our tomcat got in a big fight with a cat twice his size and he needed emergency surgery. Ow boy, the stress! Then on Tuesday I had to have a tiny minor surgery that I have had a few times in the past, only this time it went south very quickly, resulting in me having loads of pain like I never experienced in my life and my body reacting with a sudden drop of blood pressure. Seriously not ok ! The doctor wanted to call an ambulance as I was so bad, but I decided against it as I was slowly getting a bit better. Wednesday I still felt off and then our Max (the cat) needed to go back to the vet as he had complications as well. Thursday I saw my lifelong friend who urged me to call another doctor to having this whole situation checked out. I have an appointment Friday with my gp to check my bloodwork, although I feel completely ok by now, maybe just a little tired.
    Hubby was so worried that he tried to console and support me with icecream. So kind of him, but definitely not ideal... Anyhow. Today I'm back on track, PT and gym session are booked for tonight and I'll still go a bit easy to start with.

• GoRun2
    GoRun2 Posts: 448 Member
    Hello ladies,

I'm busy reading up to get to know all of you.

My Whys:
    - I have clothes in the closet that I would like to get back into.
    - I want a smaller tummy
    - My dive suit was tight the last time I dove in the Bahamas. I had to have hubby help me zip it up. Going to Belize next June for more diving. @Antiopelle, where do you dive?

@Antiopelle _ Greece, wow. We are going in 2024. Can't wait to go.

On the weight side of things, I've been bouncing around with 3 pounds for 2 months. Finally broke out of that and lost a pound! I confess, it was due to eating too many calories. I do have a nutricious diet. I seldom eat processed food or things with added sugar. I might have something with added sugar every month or two.

Today I'm going for a long walk with friends. I live in the forest in a high risk fire area. we are inspecting the trees on our evacuation route. When we find trees that are dying and leaning over the road, we have to arm twist someone to take them down. It's fun to walk with a group of friends and feel like we are getting other things done at the same time.

• SherryRueter
    edited October 2022
    workout: Shoulders (45min) Hiit(20min)

Great workout sesh

Steps:

cal:356

meals planned for today. Since I workout at home hubby has the workout room from 5a-6a and I used that time to do my meal preps.
  • CeeBeeSlim
    @k8richly You’re right. I do check out the gyms in hotels but I look forward to the burger more!😛. Sigh. It’s interesting how you put the eldercare duties. I’m not sure what’s worse - I think it’s “easier” for me to be with my parents only because I find I’m overly anxious with I’m not. One missed call can send me in a tailspin as opposed to just thinking “um, they’re busy”. My days are consumed. but I feel like im more in control. Lordy - neurotic anyone?

Thanks for the link! I can’t believe she’s 50!

@Antiopelle How scary! I’m glad you’re feeling better and will see a doc on Friday. If I knew you better, I’d be sending you a “next time call that ambulance, girl” ‘meme! Hope your cat is on the mend.

@GoRun2 I am getting much better limiting the processed food and feel so much better. Strange. I
    miss taking walks outside - hard to do here in this small town - no sidewalks. Congrats on your weight loss - a loss is a loss!

@SherryRueter how many days a week do you strength train? I was scheduled to do a deload week this week but don’t feel I need it.

I am pleasantly surprised. With the cooler weather I had to dig out an old pair of jeans and they fit practically the same as they did last year at close to 10 -15 pounds heavier on the scale. If I’m honest, maybe a bit better as I’m more filled out. Not that scrawny skinny fat look, but I will confess I like the scale number when I was thinner. Go figure - no pun intended.

And what’s with the trips to Greece! The closest I’ll get is the bacon grease my dad keeps in the fridge! But I’m not jealous. Ok…I am. 😁
  • SherryRueter
    @Antiopelle Hope your cat is recovering well. (I'm lost for the right word structure)

@goRun2 and @CeeBeeSlim Gosh I did so well last Sun - Wed with ZERO processed food then BAM.... Thur/fri/sat/ Sun was a s.h.i.t. show. Trying to regain ground . I logged my food for tomorrow and wrote it out in my notebook so I can meal prep it tomorrow. Lord willing I will follow the plan, as I didn't today.

Ceebeeslim - I am doing Day1: Chest/Tri Day 2: Shoulders Day 3: Legs Day 4: kickboxing Day5: Back and Biceps Day 6: Yoga/Elliptical and repeat. Sometimes Day 7 is a total body. I also walk alot.... 15,000 + most days. I deload every now and then as I feel I need it, so I completely get your "Was scheduled". Totally 100% me. Most days I workout for 60mins (45 of that is weights generally getting in 15mins or so of cardio either as a warm up or a finisher).

The Jeans ! 100% get that. When I was at 101, my jeans fit but the waist was so BIG that I had to always pull it up or, use an elastic band to keep it up. Now the jeans fit and I don't need to do that. I would guess I look healthier too....but I really LOVED the flatter tummy of the super lean look I had. I totally LIKE lower scale numbers.... And....I think perhaps I'm the only one who would be able to realize if I'm a little lower one month versus a little higher. The jeans fit about the same regardless.... as long as I stay with in my range.

Work was so slow today.... bible study tonight. One of my bible study's last year was to use little 1 minute prayer pockets and pray everytime you get distracted from your actual job (like I am now...typing at work).

I should drop by the grocery store and pick up some chicken and cheerios so I have them for tomorrows food plan.
  • SherryRueter
    edited October 2022
    Workout: Leg Day (50min); Abs (10min);
    Oct. 25 - LiiftMore Week 5 Leg day and 10min 4 weeks 4 everybody Week 1 legs.
    Food Planned = Yes.

Good morning! Workout done. Food planned and tracked and 100% prepared (just reheat and eat). I just need to tune into my brain and see Where does my brain offer FOOD for the solution, when its NOT a food related problem. (like yesterday, it offered food as the solution to EVERYTHING!.)

okay, gotta get to work.
  • CeeBeeSlim
    Thanks for the chuckle @SherryRueter. I read your post above as a meal of “chicken and Cheerios” and thought - “what in the tarnation?!?!” LOL

Great workout program!

I feel a lil too old to be so tethered to what the scale says, but it is what it is.

Had to miss yesterday’s ST session to take mom to doc appt so did it today and will finish the week with sessions tomorrow and Friday. Hope the back to back sessions won’t be too hard.

A week til the end of the month! Buckle up time!!💪💪💪🗓
  • SherryRueter
    edited October 2022
    @ceebeeSlim - yeah, those 2 "chicken and cheerios" are not the exact meal! I laughed when I read your comment as well!! Good luck on the ST sessions. Tomorrow I will do back and biceps.

The chicken I picked up was a canned chicken breast (split into 2 servings) and that will go on top of my salad:
    1c Greens
    1/2c Black Beans
    4oz Chicken Breast
    10 pistachios
    1-2T Lite Ranch with Balsamic mixed in and 1 packet Equal sweetener (blue packets).
    1 cup of Grapes
    1/2 cup of baby carrots

The Cheerios (honey nut, because they had the same amount of calories ...like ?? how is that possible??? its not...its cleaver marketting ... (I digress).
    Cheerios are for my protein shake:
    Bunch of ice
    8oz unsw. almond milk
    1T cocoa (makes it taste chocolaty at least)
    2pkt Equal (off sets that cocoa)
    1 cup frozen cauliflower.
    .>> Blend >>
    Top with some Honey nut cheerios.
    Oct. 25 - LiiftMore Week 5 Leg day and 10min 4 weeks 4 everybody Week 1 legs.
    . Food Planned = Yes.
    . Plan followed:
    . AM....... PM...... EVENING....
    . 10....... 10...... TBD
  • SparkSpringtime69
    edited October 2022
    @Antiopelle boy, you had a rough week last week! Glad to hear you're feeling better now, I hope your kitty is doing better too.
    @GoRun2 sounds like a fun walk, and you get something else accomplished while working on your health.
    @SherryRueter wow, a 45 minute shoulder workout! My arms would fall off, LOL.
    @CeeBeeSlim hope your back-to-back sessions workout for you. Bacon 'Greece' :D

I was wondering how much protein you all get in a standard day (for those of you who track macros).
    I joined a weight loss challenge at my gym and the nutritionist wants me to get more protein, but I'm usually at the USDA recommended amount so I'm not sure how to react to this. I know they're shooting for a high protein/low carb diet, so maybe that's why.