Form check videos

Options

Replies

• silken555
    silken555 Posts: 477 Member
    Options
    I have a LOTTTTTT of reading/watching to do...:)
  • symba1130
    symba1130 Posts: 248 Member
    Options
    This is week 8 of SL for me and I finally decided to do a video so I can have form checked. Just squats this time around.

http://youtu.be/BQmKBgdTjM0
  • girlie100
    girlie100 Posts: 646 Member
    Options
    symba those are looking nice and comfortable, not much to say but be aware of the hips coming up too quick. Not a problem at the moment but might be as you get heavier. Nice lift :drinker:
  • symba1130
    symba1130 Posts: 248 Member
    Options
    symba those are looking nice and comfortable, not much to say but be aware of the hips coming up too quick. Not a problem at the moment but might be as you get heavier. Nice lift :drinker:

Thank You for checking it out and the feedback. I completed 85lbs today and I found myself leaning forward so I think I will stick at this weight for a few sessions before progressing.
  • anupriyasin157
    anupriyasin157 Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    May i please request all of you to provide feedback on my squat form. TIA
  • krokador
    krokador Posts: 1,794 Member
    Options
    I'm going to copy the feedback I gave earlier today just in case you might've missed it, and hopefully it's helpful to anyone here:

It's a hard angle to judge with but it looks like you're not hitting parallel, especially on the later reps. Your stance is relatively wide, is it because it's more comfortable to you? If you've never played around with stance width, I'd bring my feet in a little closer to see what kind of difference that makes. I think you might also be letting the bar take you forward a bit, and away from your mid-foot, which might be the reason why you're not hitting depth. Try to sit back more. Maybe do box squats with a little less weight and get a feel for it?
  • Fittreelol
    Fittreelol Posts: 2,535 Member
    Options
    You are definitely not hitting parallel, and your left ankle is rolling in which makes me think your knee must be caving as well. Agree with Krok that it looks like the bar path is coming forward but hard to tell from this angle.
  • anupriyasin157
    Options
    krokador wrote: »
    I'm going to copy the feedback I gave earlier today just in case you might've missed it, and hopefully it's helpful to anyone here:

It's a hard angle to judge with but it looks like you're not hitting parallel, especially on the later reps. Your stance is relatively wide, is it because it's more comfortable to you? If you've never played around with stance width, I'd bring my feet in a little closer to see what kind of difference that makes. I think you might also be letting the bar take you forward a bit, and away from your mid-foot, which might be the reason why you're not hitting depth. Try to sit back more. Maybe do box squats with a little less weight and get a feel for it?

Thanks Krok, I had missed your feedback earlier. I think its very clear I am not hitting parallel. Will try to reduce the stance width and see what happens. Midfoot is something I need to focus on. Guess I will now start with the empty bar and start adding weight and stop at the weights where I am not hitting parallel. Again, a stupid question- how do I know while doing the squats if I have hit parallel, without making the video and doing retrospective analysis.
  • anupriyasin157
    Options
    Fittreelol wrote: »
    You are definitely not hitting parallel, and your left ankle is rolling in which makes me think your knee must be caving as well. Agree with Krok that it looks like the bar path is coming forward but hard to tell from this angle.

will keep this in mind for the next time. thank you
  • canadianlbs
    canadianlbs Posts: 5,199 Member
    Options
    Again, a stupid question- how do I know while doing the squats if I have hit parallel, without making the video and doing retrospective analysis.

it's not a stupid question - it is hard to tell. what's useful to me personally is to practice that part of it with just my own weight and a mirror. i get sideways on to the mirror, go down according to 'feelz', and then i look to see if my 'feel' was accurate and i really am below parallel or not. another thing to try without the bar is to use any kind of box or low platform that will definitely put you below, and just practice squatting down onto it.

and as far as what the feel is . . . for me, i think squatting the way you are here would feel very quad-heavy. i use my quads and adductors to brace outwards on the way down and basically i guess to control my descent and protect my knees. when i get to/below parallel, there's a definite feeling of . . . almost relief, although the descent part is not difficult and it's not like i just let the quads off the hook. but it is like this sort of hammock of hamstrings and other stuff comes into play and gives my quads a big hand. it feels kind of like sitting down into something that's supporting me actually; it might sound really weird but i sometimes feel like i'm being held in the palm of a huge hand while i'm down there. but i could just be odd.

i'm not very good at spotting form subtleties, but i have one thing to say for what it might be worth. at the very start of your set i really noticed the nice big breath that you took and the way it brought your chest up to begin the first rep. and then it seemed like you spent that coming up on the first rep, and kind of lost that nice tight back and the strong elbow position a bit - it sort of looked like you were using a bit of rounding from your upper back to help you get out of the hole, if that makes sense. i liked how you locked out so strongly with your glutes, but if you look you'll see your back upper back doesn't finish the rep in the same position that it started in. then i noticed that you didn't take a new breath and re-set your upper back into that nice position you had for the first one, before you did the rest of your reps.

so you might want to try that: remembering to start every rep with the really big, intentional breath. if you need to hang out up there at the top and puff for a few short breaths before you're ready for another big one, that's okay. i find it's really worthwhile to do it, and once you get in the habit it puts a really nice kind of rhythm into the process of doing the set. like having a tv jingle stuck in your head, almost ;-)
  • anupriyasin157
    Options
    Again, a stupid question- how do I know while doing the squats if I have hit parallel, without making the video and doing retrospective analysis.

it's not a stupid question - it is hard to tell. what's useful to me personally is to practice that part of it with just my own weight and a mirror. i get sideways on to the mirror, go down according to 'feelz', and then i look to see if my 'feel' was accurate and i really am below parallel or not. another thing to try without the bar is to use any kind of box or low platform that will definitely put you below, and just practice squatting down onto it.

and as far as what the feel is . . . for me, i think squatting the way you are here would feel very quad-heavy. i use my quads and adductors to brace outwards on the way down and basically i guess to control my descent and protect my knees. when i get to/below parallel, there's a definite feeling of . . . almost relief, although the descent part is not difficult and it's not like i just let the quads off the hook. but it is like this sort of hammock of hamstrings and other stuff comes into play and gives my quads a big hand. it feels kind of like sitting down into something that's supporting me actually; it might sound really weird but i sometimes feel like i'm being held in the palm of a huge hand while i'm down there. but i could just be odd.

i'm not very good at spotting form subtleties, but i have one thing to say for what it might be worth. at the very start of your set i really noticed the nice big breath that you took and the way it brought your chest up to begin the first rep. and then it seemed like you spent that coming up on the first rep, and kind of lost that nice tight back and the strong elbow position a bit - it sort of looked like you were using a bit of rounding from your upper back to help you get out of the hole, if that makes sense. i liked how you locked out so strongly with your glutes, but if you look you'll see your back upper back doesn't finish the rep in the same position that it started in. then i noticed that you didn't take a new breath and re-set your upper back into that nice position you had for the first one, before you did the rest of your reps.

so you might want to try that: remembering to start every rep with the really big, intentional breath. if you need to hang out up there at the top and puff for a few short breaths before you're ready for another big one, that's okay. i find it's really worthwhile to do it, and once you get in the habit it puts a really nice kind of rhythm into the process of doing the set. like having a tv jingle stuck in your head, almost ;-)

Thank you. This is very helpful!
  • krokador
    Options

Thanks Krok, I had missed your feedback earlier. I think its very clear I am not hitting parallel. Will try to reduce the stance width and see what happens. Midfoot is something I need to focus on. Guess I will now start with the empty bar and start adding weight and stop at the weights where I am not hitting parallel. Again, a stupid question- how do I know while doing the squats if I have hit parallel, without making the video and doing retrospective analysis.

As canadianlbs said, a box/bench/something to sit back on would be a big help here. There are 2 types of box squats - the ones where you actually sit on the box, and the one where you just touch your butt, but don't allow yourself to rest. I think in your case the latter might be better as you really need to focus on staying upright, and sitting back and letting "go" of your tightness even if just for one second might not help at all. Plus, from a seated position, it's a lot easier to try to use forward momentum to get back up, so that would also possibly alter your bar path.
  • anupriyasin157
    edited February 2015
    Options

As canadianlbs said, a box/bench/something to sit back on would be a big help here. There are 2 types of box squats - the ones where you actually sit on the box, and the one where you just touch your butt, but don't allow yourself to rest. I think in your case the latter might be better as you really need to focus on staying upright, and sitting back and letting "go" of your tightness even if just for one second might not help at all. Plus, from a seated position, it's a lot easier to try to use forward momentum to get back up, so that would also possibly alter your bar path.

Got that. I will try the bench today. Am also thinking of a deload. By the way, I am also confused if I should reduce the width of my stance. I did a quick test to check the perfect stance depending on my flexibility and realized a stance slightly wider than shoulders is something I could be more comfortable in. Does that sound correct?
  • krokador
    Options

Got that. I will try the bench today. Am also thinking of a deload. By the way, I am also confused if I should reduce the width of my stance. I did a quick test to check the perfect stance depending on my flexibility and realized a stance slightly wider than shoulders is something I could be more comfortable in. Does that sound correct?

Try it out and see how it goes! My stance is basically shoulder width now, and I started out with a fairly wide stance, too. Everyone is different!
  • Robbnva
    Robbnva Posts: 590 Member
    Options
    Sorry for posting here, but I was told its OK for guys to post occasionally and I posted elsewhere and didn't get feedback. I jut need a form check on my squats. Thanks (I already realize one issue I think but I'll wait for responses)
  • Robbnva
    Robbnva Posts: 590 Member
    Options
    Nvm, got advice elsewhere
  • debrag12
    debrag12 Posts: 1,071 Member
    Options
    who does all the filing for you?
  • storm15918
    storm15918 Posts: 88 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    Hi everyone. I was hoping I could get some advice on my squats. I didn't realize how awful my form was until I watched it today and I don't know how to fix it. I know I need to though or I'm going to get hurt. My chest collapses so far forward and I can't seem to keep it up no matter how hard I try. The video is my last set after a lot of attempts to fix it. I don't think I was engaging my abs enough before, but I'm focusing on it in this video and it doesn't seem to help much. I'm at a loss at this point. Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

Also sorry for the less than great video. My living room is kind of small for this sort of thing unfortunately.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=XQ5o2r7Wnb4
  • Brianna716
    Brianna716 Posts: 303 Member
    edited August 2015
    Options
    Any advice here? I'm brand new to squatting and would love any feedback!
    <embed width="600" height="361" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowFullscreen="true" allowNetworking="all" wmode="transparent" src="http://static.photobucket.com/player.swf&quot; flashvars="file=http%3A%2F%2Fvid178.photobucket.com%2Falbums%2Fw268%2Fbriheartzu%2Fget%2520fit%2F3A97E913-12BA-4058-9693-AA7DE6254ECF_zpstxpikeei.mp4&title=">

So I can't figure out how to post videos from Photobucket... try this http://vid178.photobucket.com/albums/w268/briheartzu/get fit/3A97E913-12BA-4058-9693-AA7DE6254ECF_zpstxpikeei.mp4