WaistAways Team Chat - JANUARY 2023

Options

Replies

• adrimango
    adrimango Posts: 129 Member
    Options
    A short walk on the treadmill on this rainy and chilly Sunday. Everything is logged for the day so I'm off to a good start to the week!
  • jugar
    jugar Posts: 10,139 Member
    Options
    That was some whirlwind of a day! Glad it's done. I did not get the kind of exercise I like, but tomorrow is empty and will have plenty of room for snowshoeing and other goodies.

As usual, I have left the Sunday people without friendly reminders! So here we are, our final week of January already. Let's go Sunday and Monday people! Thanks @YinxFed and @adrimango for getting us started.

@ells_bellz
    @CarolAnnM2
    @MoonlitMuse
    @kto0194 & @Meals12 -- it's your last chance to stay with the team! Check in, weigh in and let us know how things are going if you want to stick with us. :smiley:
    @cleaneater80

Thanks!
  • micki48
    micki48 Posts: 2,268 Member
    Options
    I need to get my act together and log everything again. I’ve had a sloppy log the last few days. Took a short walk with hubby yesterday. Today was rainy but I took a botanical water color class with a dear friend. We had a blast!!

Supervised Juliet making a blueberry cake this afternoon. She was so proud and it was so good. Oops, did I admit I ate cake?! 😂

Back to work tomorrow. It will be a challenging week with the kids because there’s a lot of rain in the forecast.

Have a great week everyone.
  • micki48
    micki48 Posts: 2,268 Member
    Options
    Steps

Sunday 10225
    Monday 5025
    Tuesday 7195
    Wednesday 4065
    Thursday 7241
    Friday 7960
    Saturday 7868
  • KellyBgetsfit
    KellyBgetsfit Posts: 1,713 Member
    Options
    Steps
    Sun 8173
    Mon 9,992
    30 min strength
    Tues 11,342
    30 min baree
    Wed 10,219
    Thurs 12,984
    30 min pilates fusion
    Fri 14,696
    Sat 6,610

Very low step week, for me. I blame the cold weather. This week is going to be worse so I need to get it together!!!
  • adrimango
    Options
    @KellyBgetsfit and @Gidgitgoescrazy

We are all counting down to trips or events it looks like! I've got 10 weeks until my trip so right between you both. How are you maintaining motivation?

• PlaneMonkey
    PlaneMonkey Posts: 568 Member
    Options
    I need a weekend to recover from my weekend! Who else feels that way?!?!

I played in a women's senior recreational hockey tournament this weekend and it ended up being 4 games with a break in between the first two where hubby and I decided to go for a 3 hour ATV ride through the mountains. I ended up wearing a helmet for almost 9 hours over the weekend. The skin on my forehead is not thanking me! Neither are my muscles, or my endless thirst! The scale was up 4 lbs today. How is that even possible?!?! I feel like I sweat out enough to drown in.

I will be rejoining the regular team after this week and I've already started the bad habits in my head of "my diet doesn't start til next week". Bad Courtney!!! Keep it together. Don't make the finish line FURTHER away with bad habits this week.

Ohh, and hubby wants to jump onto my weight-loss bandwagon again. I feel like a broken record sometimes. He's not willing to track his own food, he just wants to "eat whatever I eat". It never works! he has IBS and very specific food preferences and he gets bored with eating the same thing repeatedly, which I find SO EASY to log and track properly. Consistency is key for me. He turns me into his food police. I will always be the bad guy when I tell him he can't have the snacks or treats or wine he wants. He thinks a week of salads will make him drop 20lbs. This is a marathon, not a sprint. It has to be a mental shift and full lifestyle change for it to work long term. We sabotage each other, not support each other when it comes to weight loss and food. I only have enough will power for myself, not for both of us. When he craves sweets, and I say "go ahead, but I'm not going to have any", he pouts because he knows he shouldn't. And eventually this makes me give in and overindulge alongside him. This has been a recurring theme during my time with this team. He's an adult, if he wants positive change in his life, it's his responsibility to follow through. I am a supportive spouse, not his handler!

There. This time I will stand firm.

I want to lose 20lbs by the end of the summer. It's a realistic goal if I prioritize it. Hold me to this!!! Keep yelling your voices in my head when I start to get lazy with measuring portion sizes. Water will help me to tame the Hangry Beast that lives inside me at 4pm every day. Pretzels and popcorn and cookies are a "sometimes food". Not a daily staple.

Logging is key. Exercise is a bonus. water is essential.

Stay strong!

• Gidgitgoescrzy
    Gidgitgoescrzy Posts: 202 Member
    Options
    adrimango wrote: »
    @KellyBgetsfit and @Gidgitgoescrazy

We are all counting down to trips or events it looks like! I've got 10 weeks until my trip so right between you both. How are you maintaining motivation?

I am looking at bathing suits, although it's not helping as much as I thought it would... I keep thinking, ehhh my hubby loves me as I am, and I really do look just fine, it doesn't matter...

So my typical motivation of vanity is not working very well, as my self-acceptance seems to have won the battle. ... It's a good thing in one way, not so good the other way, LOL.....
  • MoonlitMuse
    MoonlitMuse Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    Happy new week all!

PW: 145.6
    CW: 145.6

Last week I start making it a point to fit in at least 20-25 mins of asana daily (in addition to my lifting) and 40-45 on the weekends. The Habit tracker made me realize just how rough weekends are for me. @PlaneMonkey , my hubs sounds very similar to yours. He wants me to dictate what he should eat since "I'm the food person", but then doesn't actually want to do that since he has the palette of a child (and then subsequently blames me when I get him the snacks he pesters me into buying). He also hates working out (which is ironic since he's a former Marine). That makes weekends tough and I realized that I wasn't eating, drinking, or moving like I want. I made it a point to drink my 2L and get some intentional movement in (I told him that with my EDS, daily flow helps keep the chronic pain at bay so he doesn't argue too much). Getting enough protein in is still tough since I'm more snacky on the weekends and not structured like I am throughout the week. It's funny - so many people so it's too hard to eat well and move during the work week, but it's the opposite for me!

I'm thinking about knocking my kcals down just a smidge more since the 1800-2000 seems a bit much for recomping at this point even though I'm trying to balance it with what I need for strength gain. Let's see if I can keep it in the 1600-1700 range for the next few weeks and see what happens.
  • cleaneater80
    cleaneater80 Posts: 435 Member
    Options
    Weigh in Day: MONDAY
    PW: 165.8
    CW: 166.2

@PlaneMonkey - wow you deserve a day off to recover from the weekend.

@micki48 Hope you have a great week

@ashleycarole86 - you should be proud you didn't just throw in the towel, it's so easy to do. Nice work getting things back together on the weekend

I had a great weekend. I'm now up to my nose in a post grad class on social policy. I have a presentation I have been working on that I really want to nail. Can't complain about the weather in Alberta it's been nice so no excuse getting out to walk the dog.
  • adrimango
    Options
    @Gidgitgoescrazy So far I have put up a sticky next to my computer monitor that has 10 in giant letters. :) The trip seems far away but with 11 lbs to my goal I need focus.

If vanity isn't working, what is your motivation to reach your Spring Break goal?
  • lauren_989
    lauren_989 Posts: 521 Member
    Options
    Sunday: 10,894 + 60 min cardio dance class
    Monday: 2,727 + 30 min weight resistance
    Tuesday: 7,602 + 30 min jog @ 4.5mph
    Wednesday: 6,039
    Thursday: 6,873 + 30 min jog @4.5mph
    Friday: 3,982
    Saturday: 2,619

I slightly, maybe more than slightly, fell off the bandwagon this past weekend 😫

I ate well today, but still didn't reach my step goal. Slowly getting back to plan...
  • bobagurl2017
    bobagurl2017 Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    STEPS:

SUN- 15955
    MON- 9467
    TUES- 12999
    WEDS- 6399
    THURS- 12925
    FRI- 10605
    SAT- 10485
  • ashleycarole86
    ashleycarole86 Posts: 6,155 Member
    Options
    Evening friends!
    Had a lunch date cancel on me unexpectedly, so Brad and I met up for our usual walk, although we included a stop for lunch along the way since I didn't bring anything. I made a fairly good choice, and it was definitely lighter than it would have been otherwise I'm sure.
    Tonight was pasta... trying to use up items from the pantry before we head out for our trip.
    The night was a bit short on steps plus the dog needed her walk so we got out and made sure we hit our 10K.
    Also an alcohol free day. The new Health Canada recommendations on alcohol have me feeling all sorts of new guilt.. pssshh!!
  • jugar
    jugar Posts: 10,139 Member
    edited January 2023
    Options
    I'm yawning my head off, so won't be here long! I should have come here earlier for sure! Usually I'm full of energy in the evening, but not today, I guess.

I like the pre-vacation planning - I'm sure others might join in even if they are not going on a trip! .5 - 1 pound a week solidarity :smiley:

No Tuesday weigh-ins coming up, so it is a great time for everyone to have a perfect day and get ready for the rest of the week. Plan, track, and feel amazing at the end of the day!

I found this article reassuring and reasonable - give it a read!
    "Weight-loss diets boil down to one thing, and it’s not science jargon"
    https://www.washingtonpost.com/food/2023/01/23/weight-loss-diets-fasting-keto/
  • DD265
    DD265 Posts: 651 Member
    Options
    I hope everybody is having a good week so far.

I have been to see my PT this morning and it was a really good session. I've been doing those wrist exercises @jugar and I do think they're helping, so thanks for the link. We're working on the snatch, which is basically ground to overhead squat in one fluid movement. Fluid is not something I do well, for sure! We did some actual snatches too, building up to the 20kg bar (the 12.5kg is too narrow for the grip I need). Had a false start and I thought the bar was going backwards through the window, but I recovered it somehow with a lot of complaining from my shoulders!. Rather than let it become a thing, I tried a few more and the last one was really good. We're aiming for perfection, of course, but 7.5/10 is great for an early attempt. ;)

The potatoes I grew last year are starting to sprout, so last night I chipped and blanched a load then froze them. Tonight I might freeze a batch as wedges. I think we have rice more than anything else, so it's time to find some new recipes for side dishes. Potatoes with every meal for the foreseeable it is :D

I did make a couple of new recipes at the weekend; spicy croutons plus a curried butternut and apple soup. The latter sounds like a weird combination, but we had some leftover butternut squash and I didn't have to buy anything special for it. The croutons are pretty spicy, so I think I might tone them down next time, but they're tasty. I think they'd be good in a salad when the weather warms up, as well as soup.
    2jb2daca8fch.png

Spicy Croutons

Prep: 0:10
    Cook: 0:15
    Makes: 120g

2 thick slices white bread
    2 tablespoons unsalted butter
    1 teaspoon paprika
    1⁄2 teaspoon Kosher salt (I skipped the salt, rarely add it during cooking!)
    1⁄4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
    1⁄4 teaspoon ground cumin

Preheat the oven to 220°C. Cut the bread into 1⁄2-inch cubes and place in a large bowl.

Melt the butter and pour it over the bread cubes. In a small bowl, stir together the paprika, salt, cayenne, and cumin. Sprinkle the spices over the bread cubes and toss to combine.

Spread the bread on a baking sheet lined with aluminium foil and bake
    until crisp, about 10 minutes. Let cool and use right away.

1xz9ob1ukevz.png

Curried Butternut Squash & Apple Soup

Prep: 0:20
    Cook: 0:45
    Serves: 6

1 tbsp sunflower oil
    2 medium onions, chopped
    1kg butternut squash, peeled, desceded and cut into 3cm chunks
    2 tbsp medium curry powder
    2 garlic cloves, crushed
    4 eating apples (about 500g), peeled, cored and thickly sliced
    1 litre chicken stock, made with 1 stock cube
    1 bay leaf
    200ml apple juice (preferably pressed/cloudy)
    flaked sea salt
    freshly ground black pepper

Heat the oil in a large non-stick saucepan, add the onions and cover the pan with a lid. Cook for 5 minutes over a medium-low heat, stirring occasionally. Add the squash, cover the pan again and cook for another 5 minutes until the squash is beginning to soften and brown lightly, stirring once or twice.

Add the curry powder, garlic and apples and cook for 1 minute more, stirring constantly. Pour in the stock, add the bay leaf and bring to the boil. Reduce the heat to a simmer and cook for about 30 minutes or until the squash is very soft, stirring occasionally.

Remove the pan from the heat. Season the soup with salt and pepper and carefully blitz with a stick blender until smooth, or leave it to cool for a while, then blend in a food processor. If you like a extra smooth soup, pass it through a fine sieve into a clean pan, using the base of a ladle to press the vegetables through the sieve.

Stir the apple juice into the soup, adding a little extra if needed to get the consistency you like, then adjust the seasoning to taste. Reheat gently just before serving, stirring constantly.
This discussion has been closed.