2023: Envision where you want to be: Focus on health, energy, vitality!

Options

Replies

• suzyqholland
    suzyqholland Posts: 1,353 Member
    Options
    We’re back from our trip. We ended up skipping the camping because I honestly was just tired and it was supposed to rain. Best decision I’ve made in a long time. It has rained non-stop and it’s so cold. I would have been totally miserable! Asheville was great. It was a bit chilly but not bad. We walked a lot, browsing shops, going to art galleries and local breweries. We did our foraging tour one morning where we drove into a remote commune type place in the mountains. They live as much off the land as they can. We collected all kinds of greens and a couple mushrooms. The guides cooked us up a small treat from the stuff we collected. It was really cool.

I decided to go to the doctor when we got back. I have been having some dizziness and nausea and I’m just so tired all the time. I had blood drawn for extensive lab work. The doctor thinks it may be sinus/allergies driven. I have some fluid in my inner ear. She has me taking an antihistamine daily. Also, she put me on magnesium and this natural oral spray that includes melatonin and valerian to help me sleep. I go back in two weeks to go over my lab work.

That video makes it took so easy, Vail. I think I’d tear something in my shoulder doing that. I’m just trying to get back to walking so I think pull ups will have to wait. Lol.
  • Vailara
    Vailara Posts: 2,453 Member
    Options
    Good thing you didn't camp! It would have been a nightmare in the rain. The foraging sounds really good. Although I get a bit worried about mushrooms. It sounds like a highlight of the trip. I used to live kind of communally for a while back in the 80s. I don't think I could do it now. I like my own space too much! But it would be fun to visit somewhere like that.

Good luck with the lab work. It would be good to know what exactly is going on. It's not normal to feel like that all the time, and must be so frustrating! I hope the remedies help.

Yes, I've worried I'll tear something with those exercises! But all the other exercises seem to hurt my joints and those don't so much! I'm still working my way back to normal fitness levels at the moment.

It's not long until you meet your grandson! I hope everything's going OK on that front and that you feel a bit better before he arrives. I'm sure you will have your work cut out!
  • Snooozie
    Snooozie Posts: 3,446 Member
    Options
    Yikes Suzy I agree thank goodness you passed on the camping - and it sounds like it turned out to be a great trip so its a win! I'm glad your doc is doing a full workup on your bloodwork... years ago i had something called.. labryinthitis? i was literally eating dinner and stood up to take my plate into the kitchen and i got so dizzy and nauseous.. it was like being drunk without the alchohol.. i thought it was maybe vertigo but apparently it was an infection or fluid in the "middle" ear.. very weird..there were no meds for it she just suggested gravol which didnt help cause when i laid down it was even worse (kinda like the "spins" when you are drunk and try to lay down.. im hoping im not the only one who suffered the whole drunk thing in my youth btw lol

so i'm hoping in a way maybe its the fact that you have fluid in your inner ear that is maybe causing the "vertigo like" symptoms you are having with the dizzy and nauseau.. but that sucks no matter what is causing it for sure... so crossing my fingers they figure it out! I take a magnesium supplement called "Natural Calm" .. it comes in gummies now so i have those lol.. my doc suggested those cause i was having awful calf and leg cramps and have to admit they are rare these days.. I really hope you feel better soon but kudos to you my friend for going to the doc to get it checked out! Please keep us posted

I had to laugh at the video too.. because i'm like REALLY??? omg.. seriously Vail i don't think you realize how impressive it is that you can do what you do! I'm still "practising" getting up off the floor without having to use a chair or stool to brace myself... it helps that i have to get down on it to do my back stretches and im getting better at being able to get up even without using my hands.. i still sometimes do but working on it... i def need tho to get back to daily walking cause i still get tired way too quickly and i KNOW i have to start doing some kind of strength training even if its just squats for my legs to start...

• Vailara
    Options
    Wondering if there is any news on the grandson front yet, Suzy? I'm imagining you on tenterhooks waiting! I hope everything is going well, and it's all going to fit around your doctor's appointment! Is the anti-histamine helping at all?

I am gradually getting my strength back after being unwell. I think I'm almost there now after a couple of weeks, and back to doing those chin-up hangs. I'm trying to keep off the weight I lost after no appetite when unwell, and also to lose a bit more, which I think I'm slowly managing. So frustrating at how few calories I need! My daughter-in-law is also dieting. She is not overweight but feels she has put on a little and wants to nip it in the bud - I wish I'd been as sensible as her at that age! She is tiny, much shorter even than me, so is on very low calories. I feel so sorry for her! I have complained about how difficult it is to lose weight when you're older but actually quite difficult to lose when you're young too, what with working hard and hormone fluctuations and everything. Let's face it, if it was easy for the young, we'd have done it then, lol!

I don't know how aware you are of Eurovision but we have that coming next week in the UK this year and I am so excited! I couldn't get tickets unfortunately, so will just be watching on TV. My favourite is the German entry this year, and I did manage to get tickets to see them live at another date and so looking forward to it! Ages since I've been to a live music event. For some reason, I have a feeling you have a German connection, Suzy? Or did you visit there at some point? I'm not sure why I'm associating you with Germany! This year, it's also quite exciting as people can vote from all over the world instead of just the Eurovision countries, I think in the semi-finals as well. I think there's a little event called a Coronation going on here this week as well, but I'm more excited about Eurovision!

• suzyqholland
    Options
    I lived in England (Lakenheath) when I was 12 to 16. We loved the Eurovision Song Contest! The first year we were there Abba won with “Waterloo” and Brotherhood of Man won once, too with “Save your kisses for me.” Loooooong time ago! Lol.

Grandson is (so far) waiting for his scheduled appearance on the 12th. My daughter’s last day teaching is tomorrow. She’s taking all of next week off because she’s just miserably tired and her hormones are making her so emotional. She doesn’t want to deal with high school students in that state and I don’t blame her.

My mom turned 90 this week. We’re driving down Saturday to take her to dinner. I really never thought she would see 90. She’s been in poor health for twenty years at least.

My lab work came back. My cholesterol numbers were a tiny bit better. My thyroid is functioning normally. Yay! Unfortunately my A1C is still too high. I’m officially pre-diabetic. I’m meeting with my doctor on Monday. She knows I want to avoid medication so we’re going to come up with a plan. One I’m going to HAVE to stick to. How are you doing without the meds, Snoozie? You give me hope that if I do end up on medication that I could improve enough to stop taking them eventually. I just want to avoid it as long as I can so I have to get my numbers down.

Vail, you’re so right…if it was easy to lose weight when we were younger then we would have done it then. It’s difficult no matter the age.
  • suzyqholland
    Options
    Vail, I’m not sure why you connect me with Germany. We lived in the Netherlands for a couple years (2000-2002). We have been to Germany a few times though.
  • Vailara
    Options
    Maybe I had it in my head that you had visited Germany! I have visited to but back in 1983, I was going to say before the Eurovisioin delegation were born, but I think actually one of them is a little bit older. That's great that you remember Eurovision, and Abba and Brotherhood of Man! I think it's bigger than ever now, as some of the artists have been going viral on tik-tok and all that sort of thing, and big excitement in the UK as our entries haven't been that great for years and we finally came second (and are hosting it for Ukraine who came first but can't host for obvious reasons). It's a really good year, I think with some great entries.

Happy Birthday to your mom! I don't blame your daughter either for taking time off. I remember years ago, people used to stop work long before their due date! (I didn't but I did have to change jobs as was doing heavy lifting). It must be so tiring, with a toddler and the inevitable discomfort and lack of sleep on top of everything.

Good news on the cholesterol, but what a shame about your A1C: how frustrating! I hope you can get something sorted out with a plan. I'm so impressed with Snoozie's results and hopefully she has some tips! I think the diet I'm signed up to is meant to be good for insulin resistance, basically Mediterraneany, lowish carb, eating at deficit, etc. I know you've done all that before! More difficult when you're cooking for more than one too! At the moment I've got a lot of salad veg in because that's easy, plus some less easy veg, some steampacks of veg in the freezer for when I can't be bothered, lots of berries, and some higher protein foods: cooked chicken, cottage cheese, eggs, hummus, greek yoghurt, etc., so it's easy for me to prepare a quick meal before I start snacking on something else, lol! And cauliflower rice, konjac noodles, and cheating with some ready made soup, etc.
  • suzyqholland
    Options
    My doctor mentioned the Mediterranean diet when I went in last time. It seems like I had just completely given up and thrown all my good sense away for the last few years. I absolutely know that I can’t eat like a twenty year old at my age. I also absolutely know that I have to do some intentional exercise every day. I just haven’t been doing it. I dont have the luxury of continuing this “fat dumb and happy” approach to my life any longer. It has caught up with me. I bought some frozen cauliflower fried rice to try. My husband hates cauliflower but he may have to just suck it up and eat it. Lol. I think it’s delish. I have to start cooking what I’m supposed to eat and if he doesn’t want it then he can have cereal or go to a drive through. I think last year’s topic was to make ourselves a priority so I guess I’m a slow learner. Haha!

So….veg, lean meat, veg, fish, veg, fruit. That’s got to be my new mantra.

I’ll have to look up the entries for the Eurovision and give them a listen.
  • Snooozie
    Options
    I could have sworn i did a reply but i can't find it now... grrrr

Suzy have u heard back from the doc about the dizzy and nauseau? Happy birthday to your mom.. im glad your cholesterol improved and your thyroid is ok! I understand being bummed about the A1C believe me... i was on meds for 10 years .. i'm still on ONE med, but she took away the other 4 i was also on for the diaetes . (plus the thyroid gone) so dropping 5 pills a day had me dancing on the ceiling. I'm not going to lie tho.. i went off track shortly thereafter - insane really you woudl think the high from that would have lasted longer than a few weeks.. but it was almost like after a bit in my head i thot i'm ok i can eat crap now... DUMB DUMB DUMB. i am pretty much back on track now, but it was scary how fast my brain turned from "keep it up" to go hog wild :(

That said, I mainly try to stick with a protein and veg for most meals.. but I test my sugar now and then after i eat certain things to see how they react. I had a kids burger and a small fry one day and it skyrocketed... then i made a toasted western sandwich one morning for breakfast with peppers, onions, egg on 2 slices of toast... and it was just fine... so i am kinda learning as i go what works for me and what doesnt. I still eat potatoes and pretty much every kind of veg or starch, i had a small bowl of spagetti with meat sauce a few days ago...and i was fine. Of course i didn't have the huge bowl i usually do lol... but having a carb with one of the "blockers" (protein from the meat sauce) can help slow down the rush. Anyway... i just basically started trying to eat more vegetables and fruit and for me that means i am using frozen most of the time because im lazy.. i cant handle all the prep so i can toss some chicken in the oven and maybe a potato cut up and drizzled with olive oil to roast along side it, then nuke a mix of frozen veg. Baby steps - change one meal or one side kinda thing at a time.. oh and my doc also recommended mediterranean diet to follow.. i tried... joined a FB group to learn all about it... but i couldnt follow it fully just too much weird stuff for me

Vail im still astounded by how much progress you have made as you recover from your illness.. i really need to get my butt in gear with moving more...

I had to google Eurovision i honestly hadnt ever heard of it which is weird because i see it is a HUGE event! holy cow... wikipedia gave me the overall view of what it is then i visited a few sites.. no wonder you're excited!!

i think that's all i have for now.. i prolly forgot some stuff but its almost midnight and im wiped lol..

• Vailara
    Options
    Yes, Eurovision is massive! The person singing France's song this year is from Canada. She's very good, definitely one of my top five this year (out of 37). I think the most famous Canadian who has competed is Celine Dion (I'm assuming she's famous across the pond too!) who competed for Switzerland (singing in French) years ago. I love it: it's such a mix of music from different countries and different genres, and really entertaining and sometimes moving. It will be on Saturday, I think early daytime for you over there, if it's being broadcast there. Here's some snippets from the songs this year

https://youtu.be/-LC9LgRDtRU

Another little victory for me this morning! I'm down to my lowest ever weight on MFP (apart from one weight which weighed wrong, which I should delete)! I'm hoping I can keep going, although getting a little tired of not eating much, ha ha! I have to admit it is quite aging losing the weight, but our theme this year is more about health than aesthetics and I'm quite enjoying the feeling of being lighter.
  • Snooozie
    Options
    Vail HUGE congrats... omg thats fantastic!!! Congratulations woo to the hoo!!!!!

and yes your right.. with that big loss i had from being sick.. i now have that big weight loss skin wrinkles everywhere.. from my stomach to arms to my neck... and i hate it.. but like you said im getting over it cause it aint about aesthetics at this stage...

its' also funny you mention about not eating much.. i'm trying to cut back because i have gained some weight and i realize im back to eating "bigger" meals again.. so i've been going back to when i first started at MFP.. i.e., having 1/2 a sandwich for lunch and maybe hte other half around 3pm .. that sort of thing.. smaller dinner rather than filling the plate even tho its mostly veg.. blah blah.. i realized i was rarely feeling that "hungry" feeling anymore so the past few weeks i've def been eating less and its kinda neat and a little weird to feel actual hunger now and then... altho i know one of my biggest probs is i wait til i feel hungry then i PIG OUT .. if there's nothing healthy avail right then and there i will eat the house with ketchup on top... so i try to keep apples and oranges and cheese and crackers on hand all the time to try to avoid that.. thank god the frozen veg cook in 3 min tho lol

oh i am so going to watch that video right now!! Funny i saw something a while back somewhere on this Danish singer who won i think something like the equiv of American Idol but in the Netherlands maybe? Anyway she sang "One moment in Time" which is one my absolutely favs.. i've watched that video a few times cause she was just so darned good... so i have my tea in hand and about to enjoy the clip you posted!!
  • Snooozie
    Options
    Oh that was fun watching Vail - thanks!! I have to admit the Croatia group reminded me of the old Village People LOL.. but i quite enjoyed I think it was the United Kingdom Group and I think one of the Latvian? Can't remember now lol. but thanks!
  • suzyqholland
    Options
    Vail, that’s fantastic!! I’m so happy for you. Your hard work is paying off! You both are such an inspiration to me to not give up.

We went out for my mom’s birthday dinner last night and I ordered grilled fish and veggies. I was so proud of myself for getting something healthy. Then my sister ordered the pecan pie bread pudding for the table for dessert. Ugh. I did indulge but just a little bit. Baby steps.

Some of those video clips were pretty bizarre! Lol. I liked quite a few of the songs though. It should be a good competition!
  • Snooozie
    Options
    Suzy i don't know if you saw my earlier post asking about the dizzy and nauseau - any relief as yet?
    AWESOME on your dinner choice and absolutely fab on choosing only a little of the dessert.. big win for sure!
  • suzyqholland
    Options
    I still feel a bit of dizziness but not the nausea. I was just thinking that I need to increase my water intake to see if that helps. Also, since I am prediabetic now, if I eat the wrong things (like sugar and/or carbs) can that make me a bit dizzy? I’m going to cut out the sugar, bread and pasta this week plus increase my water and see if that helps.
  • Snooozie
    Options
    I have to say i've never experienced dizziness in relation to my diabetes.. whether my sugar was high or low.. but that's just me.. the nauseu i had turned out to be because of my meds ... fingers crossed your hydration and cutting out the simple carbs makes a difference!

• suzyqholland
    Options
    I met with my doctor today (she’s actually a nurse practitioner) and I was really pleased with the visit. She totally listened to me and understands that I don’t want to go on prescription medication. She recommended some supplements, diet changes and a gradual increase of exercise so that I don’t get injured or give up. She also recommended that I meet with their nutritionist. She wants to see me back in three months…IF I make these changes. She said it’s not necessary to run all the labs again if I don’t change my lifestyle. Which is so true. She also doesn’t think the dizziness is from blood sugar fluctuations. She thinks it’s more likely from allergies and recommends that I add Flonase and see if that helps. Overall, it was a good visit and I feel like I have some concrete ideas of how to get on the right path.
  • Snooozie
    Options
    Suzy how awesome!! I'm SO glad you were so comfortable with your doc and her recommendations.. I can totally relate to her comment about no point in running all the labs again if nothing changes.. I think i told you when I was first diagnosed 10 yrs ago, my doc sent me a diabetes class along with the changes etc.. and basically said if you don't take the class and start making changes no need to come back; my job isn't to provide you with medications so you can continue the same lifestyle.. needless to say, it was about 3 months later that i joined MFP lol..

im super happy you had such a good visit and that you are happy with the ideas she suggested!! yay!!
  • Vailara
    Options
    That's interesting about the allergies maybe causing the dizziness. I didn't know they could do that! I hope you update us on what works. It seems to be so difficult to get to the bottom of things. It sounds like sensible recommendations about not going overboard with the exercise to start with, etc. and dietary advice. Maybe it will be easier to be motivated with having the three month appointment as well! If you don't make the changes you'll have to tell her and not have the tests, and you don't want to do that!
  • Snooozie
    Options
    LOL.. I ran across this on facebook this morning... i've always talked about eating "crap" but who knew there was an acronym describing exactly what crap is!! ha

7qcdoihu778m.png