Super Strong Squatters - September check in and chat

Options

Replies

• Fittreelol
    Fittreelol Posts: 2,535 Member
    Options
    My gym has a GIANT power cage so not really sure how to relate ><

Today I had Deadlift madcow day! Did front squats 95 2x5, OHP 83x5, Deads 248x5, Assisted chins 3x6, and my sad curls at 15 3x6. Then I went to the Y and did 30 minutes on the arc trainer. Wooo. My old cardio gym didn't have arc trainers and my new insurance kicked in which has a discounted gym program. So excited to have the arc back. I love that thing!
  • chubby_checkers
    chubby_checkers Posts: 2,353 Member
    Options
    HI!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Finally got my hiney back in the gym. I need to get in the habit of going in the evenings since I have a schedule change coming up soon.

Workout A

Squats: 170lbs 3x5---My gym friends showed up halfway through my second set and told me to stop being such a girl and add some weight to the bar (they were teasing).
    Bench: 105lbs 3x5--- I have a feeling I may be doing something wrong or I'm lopsided or my right side is weaker. No problems getting the left side up, but the right was a struggle. I find that I kind of tilt to the right if I'm not careful.
    Rows: 110 3x4---Almost, not quite got the last reps. I'm going to feel this tomorrow!
  • norrishbex
    norrishbex Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    Hi all!

I have been stalking the group for some time now, and I figured it was time to show my face in here. I've only just started up again after falling off the wagon for the umpteenth time. I seem to lose interest in exercising after about 2 weeks or so, but I am determined to stick with it. I've worked out a plan where I set myself little goals and will reward myself for reaching those goals with presents. My first one is a pair of Innov8 shoes that I have been ogling for ages :)

Today was my 5th session, so workout A.

Squats: 30kg 5x5
    Bench: 25kg 5x5
    Barbell Row: 35kg 5x5

I think I will stick at the same weight with the rows for another session, my form is good but I felt like I was at that point where form would be compromised if I go up right at this point. I made the mistake of adding too much weight too quickly before and ended up hurting myself so I won't do that again.
  • YoBecca
    YoBecca Posts: 167
    Options
    WO B tonight:
    Squat - 5x5 @ 90 lbs (again) - but I am *feeling* my crazy bodyweight squat workout from yesterday, and this was tough
    OHP - 1x4 @ 55, 1x5 @ 50, and 4x5 @ 45 lbs. BUT, I did them standing again for the first time after converting to seated OHP with the cranky back issues
    DL - 1x5 @ 95 lbs.

This will be my last lift this week. I'm trianing for a 1/2 marathon in November, and I've figured out that I need more rest days between lifting and doing a long run. So, as I have to run 10 miles on Sunday, there's no way I can lift Friday or Saturday. I may be scaling back to lifting only 2 days/week on all my long-run weeks. Otherwise, my glutes and hamstrings *HATE* me a few miles in.
  • roxylola
    roxylola Posts: 540 Member
    Options
    Nothing wrong with any of those figures Becca.

Norrishbex - you riding there? And you are about where I am too in the program, I have been going for about 4 weeks now so not much head start on you. And having similar problems regards increasing weights, at a point where I know my form will suffer with much more

Chubby Checker, those are weights I do not even dream about!

I will be brave and shuffle down the bench a little further on Monday. I worry about missing when I rerack lol!

And today I had my cardio and core day. I did not do as much as I planned, partly due to being a little tired and also due to getting bored. If I am doing something like that I need to have really clear plans not just going and doing a bit here and there. I did
    20 minutes elliptical,
    2 minutes of russian twists with an 8kg weight,
    10 assisted pullups at 23kg,
    50 crunches,
    25 pike leg raises,
    10 per leg bulgarian squats with 12kg
    and 10 minutes on the recumbent bike,
    40 minutes instead of the hour I planned but I got the dogs out for a good hour too and moved some furniture!
  • 3foldchord
    3foldchord Posts: 2,918 Member
    Options
    I am still not up to where I was before last months bronchitis... Because I had a small germ-relapse. Sigh.
    Tomorrow is another lifting day. I'll do my best and see how it goes!
  • kirabob
    kirabob Posts: 481 Member
    Options
    Fitree- the stealth lifter. Did you all see how she buried that deadlifts 248x5 in there. 248 pounds. 5 reps. Tree wins badass of the week award!
  • chubby_checkers
    chubby_checkers Posts: 2,353 Member
    Options
    Fitree- the stealth lifter. Did you all see how she buried that deadlifts 248x5 in there. 248 pounds. 5 reps. Tree wins badass of the week award!

I missed that! Sneaky Tree! That's amazing!!
  • roxylola
    Options
    Also missed it, that is outstanding!
  • YoBecca
    YoBecca Posts: 167
    Options
    Holy smokes, sister!

Roxy - nice non-lifting workout!
  • Fittreelol
    Options
    Do not underestimate the sneakiness! :glasses: Thanks ladies.

3fold be careful! I tried to lift through a minor cold when I first started and failed. Then I got sick again a few months later and tried on that last couple days when I was "almost better" and relapsed. I cannot imagine trying with bronchitis! You'll get back up there soon enough.
  • AABru
    AABru Posts: 610 Member
    Options
    So I have been lurking...and I coming out now...:blushing:
    Today I did OHP 55x5, deadlift 135x5 and squat 115x5. I dropped my weights a bit this workout because I had been scaffolding and this was my first workout at working weight for all 5 sets. I feel pretty good. Squat could go up and so can OHP...deadlift is just about right. Last set was pretty difficult.:drinker:
  • 3foldchord
    Options
    Do not underestimate the sneakiness! :glasses: Thanks ladies.

3fold be careful! I tried to lift through a minor cold when I first started and failed. Then I got sick again a few months later and tried on that last couple days when I was "almost better" and relapsed. I cannot imagine trying with bronchitis! You'll get back up there soon enough.
    I seemed to be over the bronchitis when I first started back, but after a week came down with a nasty cold again. It's finally over and I started back lifting on Tuesday. I plan of my next session to be tomorrow. Just gonna go light and easy to see what I can do.
    Thanks.
  • norrishbex
    norrishbex Posts: 35 Member
    Options

Norrishbex - you riding there? And you are about where I am too in the program, I have been going for about 4 weeks now so not much head start on you. And having similar problems regards increasing weights, at a point where I know my form will suffer with much more

It is me riding there. My riding is why I do the lifting, I am a much better rider when I am stronger, especially when I am jumping. It's also why I am being possibly over cautious with increasing my weights. The last time I lifted to much weight with poor form I ended up injuring myself and I couldn't ride for over a month. So slow and steady for me, no pushing too far too fast and fingers crossed I won't be sidelined with another injury again.
  • roxylola
    Options
    Nice little horse you have there. I know what you mean about the lifting, nobody thinks about how taxing riding is, the effect of all this on your core will have an immense affect on how you ride. (was a riding instructor for 6 years) And indeed if you injure yourself you are stuffed.

Aabru love your profile pic. Did you do 5x5 deadlifts? I can imagine that would feel heavy! And the other numbers are pretty good too.
    So workout B today. I didn't squat, I did double on the bike so 20 mins and still no rack. I could have used a smiths but I would have had to move someone else's bench, and weights to do it - not impressed with the sweaty boys who don't clean up after themselves! And I don't know how my weights would fit with using a smith.
    OHP 6*5 at 20kg 45lb hoping to creep that up next time...
    deadlift, I did a warm up set at 30kg and then 5 at 60 kg 132lb, had to use an over under grip and had to keep an eye on my back for rounding when I swapped my hands round but otherwise all good. And that is just over bodyweight for me now. Anything else is a bonus.

I find with these once I am going I am fine, it's just the first inch or two that is the hardest.
  • kirabob
    kirabob Posts: 481 Member
    Options
    Yep, Roxy - It's breaking gravity that always gets me, too. But great work!

Nice jumping, there! (Former steeplechaser back in the day).

Bench day:
    1x3@85
    1x3@100
    1x6@110
    Assisted chins and dips, 5x15 with 70 pounds of my bodyweight

Then 30 minutes of steady state on the Arc trainer. I am getting nervous about squatting tomorrow - last week was really tough, so I'm trying to conserve some energy for tomorrow's session. Have a good weekend, all!
  • 3foldchord
    Options
    Yay! Did my second set of lifts "post illness"
    I didn't go up, obviously, and my DL and OHP are low, but I was been over a month (and 2 bouts of respiratory yucky stuff) since I did those.
    My squats are below my PRE-sick weight (75#), but not by much, I did 65# today and last Tuesday)

Then I DEVOURED a Veg. black Bean Burrito Deluxe from Skyline Chili!

And am still HUNGRY!
  • lwoodroff
    lwoodroff Posts: 1,431 Member
    Options
    Found the perfect camera stabiliser at the gym, stuck it in my trainer on the hand rail. Just trying to fix squat depth (too low ironically), then seeing how far forward my shin comes. Not sure if cos of height or my accordioning...

Exhibits a b and c, you see I moved the safety bars progressively higher and simply succeeded at bottoming out rather than improving squat depth, also note shin and knee failure. Sigh.
    VIDEO0119_0000053521.jpg
    VIDEO0120_0000064296.jpg
    VIDEO0121_0000040031.jpg

so that was 3x5 at 45kg though not counting as complete. 443 at 40kg bench, which scares me and I'm so chuffed about, and 45 pendlay with the oly bar as the ladies bar wasn't to be seen, made it much harder I think because of the length and smaller plates. Then my set x 3 of assisted pull ups. First set at 30kg yay!, kettlebell swings, this time with 16kg, and hyperextensions. Failed miserably to do a single press up, but did take time to stretch!
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    Yah it's Friday and a lifting day...odd I like the thought of those two together...

Today was a B day

Squat was 5 @ 85lbs
    OHP was 5@ 50lbs (wow form makes a big difference with these)
    Deadlift 1@ 90lbs

Definately feeling it in my hamstrings today and my back/shoulders...calves are showing some great definition.

Still walking a bit on my off days...

Am I the only one that wants to lift everyday? Right now anyway...that might change later as I progress...
  • Fittreelol
    Options
    I am exhausted!

I did squats 137x3, bench 120x3, rows 85x3, dips 3x8, tricep push downs with rope and fat gripz. YAWNNN

Lydia tits up! I can say that in here right? I stole it from auddii. :laugh: Also your knees are caving.