Super Strong Squatters - September check in and chat

Options

Replies

• SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    lwood me too...ick...but I workout at home atm so I don't have to wait...

Workout A today

Squats 5@90 (had a spotter just in case)
    Bench Press 5@75 (spotter last 2 sets)
    Pendlay Row 5@75 (Last set, last 2 reps I was grunting)

edited for spelling...
  • hananah89
    hananah89 Posts: 692 Member
    Options
    all this talk of warm ups lol.. thought that was what the warm up sets were for! (ok, I just hate cardio THAT much, and don't like the thought of losing an empty rack while I'm warming up!) :)

I have mostly quit doing cardio warm ups for that same reason! Don't like getting there when the gym opens and just letting the free racks get taken up! But I did do a cardio warm up today because my knee has been bothering me (I think from running) so I didn't want to make it worse.

Was going to do a deload last week but instead didn't get to lift at all because travelling for work has started back up again and that means too many early early mornings...

Forgot where I was a week ago so just did the squat, ohp, and deadlift workout
    Squats I easily picked right back up from where I had been: 5x5 at 125lbs.
    OHP I only did 5x5 at 45 (the bar) because I remember deloading last time I did ohp...Also couldn't find the 2.5lb plates until I was done.
    Deadlift only managed 1x3 at 115 (lower than where I was pre break week). I attribute this fail to getting up at 5am this morning for work...

great lifting ladies! I sure did miss the burn and walking into the free weights like I could out lift any of the guys there :)
  • PitBullMom_Liz
    PitBullMom_Liz Posts: 339 Member
    Options
    I'M BACK!!! Lifted tonight for the first time in nearly three weeks. I did some major deloading just to be safe. Squats 70lbs, OHP 55lbs, Deadlift 115lbs. Was hard, but not hard enough to discourage me from getting back on track. Felt good. :-)
  • chubby_checkers
    chubby_checkers Posts: 2,353 Member
    Options
    Workout A this evening.

Squats: 175lbs 3x5--- Wanted to put my excess calories from the weekend to good use. Had a little bit of trouble with the last set because I didn't set myself up properly and then my foot tried to cramp at the end.
    Bench: 105lbs 3x5--- I might try to bump this to 107.5lbs for my last A workout, but 105 is really heavy.
    Rows: 110 3x5 --- No trouble with these.
  • Fittreelol
    Fittreelol Posts: 2,535 Member
    Options
    Oh pinto! How I like to mash you with bacon fat, garlic, cumin, and some other things. Anywho, some people (some people being me and some random internet friends) find ourselves SUPER weak when working out in the morning. So it might not just be your 2 month break (I'm sure it didn't help though). Mornings are evil and only made tolerable by the presence of coffee.

I am continuing on my exciting adventures in madcow land. I had an awesome session with 137x5 squats, 120x5 bench, and 85x5 row. I also did assisted dips 3x8, and toe planks 3x30 sec. Then I had a quest bar and some g2 and headed to the Y for 40 minutes on the arc trainer and 15 glorious minutes in the sauna. mmmmmmmmm.
  • lwoodroff
    lwoodroff Posts: 1,431 Member
    Options

Workout A today

edited for spelling...

Stephanie, out of curiousity, how does your spotter help with squats? There is some helpful discussion of this in Starting Strength (basically if you can't have 2 spotters, make sure the spotter spots the BAR not you, and is there to help support the bar up WITH you if you start going back down again.. not the prison-rape-style spot that you see the bros doing!) :)
  • roxylola
    roxylola Posts: 540 Member
    Options
    Tree, you are about 7lbs away from being able to bench press me fully clothed and shod! Also I love fried mashed pinto beans, with chilli and a big dollop of sour cream too, and nachos there needs to be nachos!

Chubby Checkers, likewise your weights there blow my mind.

Pitbull mom, if you can ohp 55lb I don't think it will be long before you are back to where you want to be with the weights.

Lydia, I too despise cardio but I know I should do it. Part of my goal here is to increase stamina so...
    On that note I cycled to work today, 6 miles, 30 minutes, no stops. Quite pleased with that (it's up and down hills too), and I am loving how sore I am today from my lifting yesterday :D
  • lwoodroff
    Options
    yes, I know I 'should' too.. *grumps*
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options

Workout A today

edited for spelling...

Stephanie, out of curiousity, how does your spotter help with squats? There is some helpful discussion of this in Starting Strength (basically if you can't have 2 spotters, make sure the spotter spots the BAR not you, and is there to help support the bar up WITH you if you start going back down again.. not the prison-rape-style spot that you see the bros doing!) :)

Well since I workout at home right now my husband was in the room (could have gotten the man child but he was downstairs). He didn't actually spot me this time but I will keep that in mind when he/they do need to.

I will definately take a look at the post as well.

Thanks
  • roxylola
    roxylola Posts: 540 Member
    Options
    Yeah, on the basis that you are using your husband then the whole prison thing could be fun :tongue:
  • pintobean
    pintobean Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    Oh pinto! How I like to mash you with bacon fat, garlic, cumin, and some other things. Anywho, some people (some people being me and some random internet friends) find ourselves SUPER weak when working out in the morning. So it might not just be your 2 month break (I'm sure it didn't help though). Mornings are evil and only made tolerable by the presence of coffee.

I am continuing on my exciting adventures in madcow land. I had an awesome session with 137x5 squats, 120x5 bench, and 85x5 row. I also did assisted dips 3x8, and toe planks 3x30 sec. Then I had a quest bar and some g2 and headed to the Y for 40 minutes on the arc trainer and 15 glorious minutes in the sauna. mmmmmmmmm.

"Oh pinto! How I like to mash you with bacon fat, garlic, cumin, and some other things" :laugh:

I think it was a combination of things. Prior to this I have always worked out in the evening (after work). We recently moved so mornings will be better if I need any time for myself. So, I just have to suck it up. Coffee and BCAA helped me get through :drinker: . It was good.

Today, however, I am HURTING. DOMS :grumble: I am walking or waddling rather today.
    Looking forward to Deadlift tomorrow

What is Toe planks?
  • randomtai
    randomtai Posts: 9,003 Member
    Options
    BLEH on cardio... :laugh:
  • Fittreelol
    Fittreelol Posts: 2,535 Member
    Options
    Well I used to have a sad core that could only do planks on my knees/elbows Now I can do them on toes/elbows! Yay!
  • YoBecca
    YoBecca Posts: 167
    Options
    My plan to come home, have a big bowl of turkey chili from the crock pot and catch up on this threat has been FOILED b/c the stupid crock pot timer didn't work (or the stupid hubs didn't set it right) and so NO CHILI and I'm hangry but now I have to COOK and that SUCKS. End rant, but now I gotta go pick up my kiddo and cook dinner. Ugh.
  • AABru
    AABru Posts: 610 Member
    Options
    Workout A today...kept my squat low to work on form. Ankle flexibility kind of sucks, so I can't get a good deep squat without my knees going over my toe.
    Bench 5x95x5
    Rows 5x55x5
    squat 5x115x5

My rows could have been heavier too, but I was working on form as well--really concentrating on squeezing my shoulders together as I lift. Next time I will jump up 10 pounds.
  • norrishbex
    norrishbex Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    My plan to come home, have a big bowl of turkey chili from the crock pot and catch up on this threat has been FOILED b/c the stupid crock pot timer didn't work (or the stupid hubs didn't set it right) and so NO CHILI and I'm hangry but now I have to COOK and that SUCKS. End rant, but now I gotta go pick up my kiddo and cook dinner. Ugh.

That just sucks. Its not just not having food ready for you, but it's the disappointment when you discover your awesome dinner isn't actually cooked like you had been thinking about all day and looking forwards to... Can you tell I have had slow cooker problems in the past? I feel your pain!

Workout A for me. I didn't want to workout, I spent all day on the couch being all sad and stuff, but I eventually managed to convince myself to get off my backside and go do my workout. After it was done I was glad that I did.

Squat: 5x5 35kg
    Bench: 5x5 27.5kg
    Row: 5x5 37.5kg
  • pintobean
    pintobean Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    I'm having some major DOMS. Foam rolled this morning. Last night tried to do it on rumble roller and I was groaning so loudly. My quads are hurting. These are days when I wish I could pee while standing without any aids :frown:

Workout today -
    Warm up = mobility work & dynamic stuff

Squats = 5x50x5
    OHP = 5x45x5
    Deadlift = 1x90x5
    Push up = 2x8
    Ab Roller = 2x8

YoBecca, sorry about your dinner mess. I totally understand. I hope it all turned out ok in the end. Let's hope for a better today :)

Fittree, I know the feeling!! Yay indeed :)
  • randomtai
    randomtai Posts: 9,003 Member
    Options
    Fun times today... How is everyone doing?
    65lbs Bench
    75lbs Rows
    120lbs Shrugs
    125lbs Deadlifts
    105lbs Squats
    75lbs Machine Crunches
    30 regular crunches
    30 Leg hip raises

Almost fell on the last rep in the last set of squats... would have been funny and painful. :laugh:
  • 3foldchord
    3foldchord Posts: 2,918 Member
    Options
    My squats are better than last time, by a tiny bit. Still not where they were before my sinusy thing in August, but getting better..

HOWEVER!

Bench preses did NOT go as well as squats. I did my warm up and was dong my 5x5 but was seeing spots after my 3rd set. (And I was only at 60#, was hoping to break 65 today)

This was very upsetting.

Should I finish this set A on Friday, my next lifting day (redo bench presses and get to rows)

OR should I just do session B (squats, OHP, DeadLifts)
  • lwoodroff
    Options
    my rant from my page in case we aren't friends (and if not, WHY not?!)

ok, so... I've deloaded right back to 30kg on squats to try to sort out, and I wanted a different angle to take a video from. Nothing to prop my shoe on (with my phone inside!) and the weights area was for once relatively empty at that moment, and nobody I recognised. One guy was resting between sets, so I went up and asked very nicely if he'd mind videoing me as I was struggling with my form. He did the biggest 2-year-old huffy face, and SAID ok but everything about him said 'hell no'. I said 'sorry is that a problem' and he basically (mostly through gorilla-like grunts) indicated that he needed to keep his focus between sets. I backed right off and said I wouldn't dream of interrupting him... he was doing bicep curls with 75kg and a whole lotta English, and something similar with dumb bells. Have I completely breached gym etiquette?! anyway I finished my workout and came home, couldn't face anything more. Doesn't help I got wound up at work too (and I am the calmest person ever!).. . grrr.

so that was 30kg squats 3x5, 37.5kg bench (should have been 40 but that wasn't happening sadly) 3x5, and 45kg pendlay rows (back with the women's oly bar) 3x5 - these felt good actually.

squats I tried a wider toe-out stance and really focused on pushing my knees out, but my back is still tending to good-morning, possibly worse as this was only 30kg. Not sure if this is because my focus was on my knees more, or if I'm just sh1t at squats... If anyone wants me I'll be having a little cry in the corner!