Major March Motivation thread

Options

Replies

• Antiopelle
    Antiopelle Posts: 1,184 Member
    Options
    k8richly wrote: »

Hubby bought a protein powder that doesn't dissolve well in liquid (hot or cold) so it's gross and grainy. I'm going to try using it in baking recipes (replacing a portion of the flour) and hope to use it up that way - pancakes, muffins etc. But need a new kind for drinks and so will look up Ghost brand @RobinAlex666 !

Are you using a shaker? I have a good protein powder but I really need to use a shaker and then move vigorously for about a minute. Stirring with a spoon won't do the trick.

• spl8
    spl8 Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    Weekly Check In
    59 yo, 5'7"
    SW (12/2022) 160
    Week 1 (02/27): 151.6
    Week 2 (03/06): 150.8
    Week 3 (03/13): 149.4
    Week 4 (03/20): 149.4
    GW 139 (or thereabouts)

Holding steady, which I guess is good. Only did two runs last week, and I'm still having trouble getting motivated on strength training (other than the weekly pilates class, which I like).

I've been trialing an online program called Leanness Lifestyle University after hearing an interview with the owner on a the Flipping Fifty podcast (https://lluniversity.com/), and I am really liking the approach. It's very personalized with tons of feedback.
  • CeeBeeSlim
    CeeBeeSlim Posts: 1,261 Member
    Options
    Very true, Antiopelle! Back down and then some. Almost to the “teens”! I get a lil nervous at this point. Close to reaching an ideal utopia weight, reach it, get a lil cocky, slack off, and a slow increase in weight again!

Things SHOULD be different this time. I was asked to participate in study to examine the effects of exercise on elder caregivers so I will get weighed, measured, get some baseline readings and some exercise equipment. This will hold me accountable!
  • HoneyBadger302
    HoneyBadger302 Posts: 1,973 Member
    Options
    44, F, 5' 7"
    GW: 128-135(ish - TBD)
    SW 01-2023: 157.6
    3/1/23: 152
    3/8/23: 151.6
    3/15/23: 151.0
    3/22/23: 150.6
    Tracking as expected. Hunger has been increasing a bit, but not sure if it's a last ditch effort by my body to try to hold onto some fat, or if I'm truly more hungry. Will have to monitor the scale and energy levels - energy levels during workouts in particular will be the real "tell" on which it is.
    Having a pretty good workout week - some solid progress lifting, but nearing my personal (current) max, which with my current set up honestly makes me slightly nervous as I workout alone at home, no spotter or lifter nearby to yell to come save me, and my little rack doesn't have much for safety in terms of squats due to how it's set up (you can set up a lower bar as a catch bar, but no where near as safe as a real squat rack.
    This has me questioning if I need to consider biting the bullet and going to a gym again, or if I should just save up and upgrade my equipment, hopefully being able to sell what I have to cover a portion of it...not sure which way to proceed. I hate having to get to a gym, where I live there are no decent ones close by, so it would be a drive, adding a fair bit of time to my days...
  • RobinAlex666
    RobinAlex666 Posts: 144 Member
    edited March 2023
    Options
    Height: 5'8"
    SW: 160
    End of month GW: 153.5

3/2: 155.3
    3/10: 155.7
    3/16: 155.0
    3/23: 155.4
    3/30:

I'm gonna keep trying to lose a lb or 2, but I think this is it. I've been feeling great for the past few weeks and focusing on building strength has been rewarding
  • Antiopelle
    Options
    44, F, 5' 7"
    GW: 128-135(ish - TBD)
    SW 01-2023: 157.6
    3/1/23: 152
    3/8/23: 151.6
    3/15/23: 151.0
    3/22/23: 150.6
    Tracking as expected. Hunger has been increasing a bit, but not sure if it's a last ditch effort by my body to try to hold onto some fat, or if I'm truly more hungry. Will have to monitor the scale and energy levels - energy levels during workouts in particular will be the real "tell" on which it is.
    Having a pretty good workout week - some solid progress lifting, but nearing my personal (current) max, which with my current set up honestly makes me slightly nervous as I workout alone at home, no spotter or lifter nearby to yell to come save me, and my little rack doesn't have much for safety in terms of squats due to how it's set up (you can set up a lower bar as a catch bar, but no where near as safe as a real squat rack.
    This has me questioning if I need to consider biting the bullet and going to a gym again, or if I should just save up and upgrade my equipment, hopefully being able to sell what I have to cover a portion of it...not sure which way to proceed. I hate having to get to a gym, where I live there are no decent ones close by, so it would be a drive, adding a fair bit of time to my days...

Just my 2 cents: if you hate driving far to go to a gym, you probably won't keep up with it. I know I wouldn't. I think I would invest a bit more in your home gym then.
    You are doing great btw! :smile:
  • HoneyBadger302
    Options
    Antiopelle wrote: »
    Just my 2 cents: if you hate driving far to go to a gym, you probably won't keep up with it. I know I wouldn't. I think I would invest a bit more in your home gym then.

Thanks, and ya, the more I think about it, the more I think I'll just need to bite the bullet. It's not a "tomorrow" urgent thing, but $3K would set me up where I could be set for many years to come. I've had ZERO regrets getting my little rack that I have right now (it's a weird one, some type of half rack design that I got used off FB, but has served me well to now). It's a chunk, but when you consider any lifting gym is around $150/month around here, it would more than pay for itself in less than 2 years (not even counting the time or gas involved).
  • mandycat_florida
    mandycat_florida Posts: 60 Member
    Options

Thanks, and ya, the more I think about it, the more I think I'll just need to bite the bullet. It's not a "tomorrow" urgent thing, but $3K would set me up where I could be set for many years to come. I've had ZERO regrets getting my little rack that I have right now (it's a weird one, some type of half rack design that I got used off FB, but has served me well to now). It's a chunk, but when you consider any lifting gym is around $150/month around here, it would more than pay for itself in less than 2 years (not even counting the time or gas involved).

The only gym I've ever used faithfully and consistently was located mid-way between work and home. Avoiding it meant going out of my way. To be sure, it didn't hurt that for reasons I've since forgotten the majority of the members were hunky guys, many of whom insisted on walking me to my car after dark since it was in a sketchy part of town. (Full disclosure: I was several centuries younger and significantly cuter than now.)
  • Antiopelle
    Options

The only gym I've ever used faithfully and consistently was located mid-way between work and home. Avoiding it meant going out of my way. To be sure, it didn't hurt that for reasons I've since forgotten the majority of the members were hunky guys, many of whom insisted on walking me to my car after dark since it was in a sketchy part of town. (Full disclosure: I was several centuries younger and significantly cuter than now.)

:smiley:
  • Antiopelle
    Options
    Monday morning, a new week and new opportunities.
    Last week was terrible weather wise. Loads and loads of rain and again colder temps, which means no diving and certainly no biking. Yesterday hubbie participated in his first marathon of the year and I went supporting in the pouring rain. It was good for my stepcount :neutral: He did arrive just shy of two minutes of his target, so he was still pretty chuffed.

y1j5l5xoy2mc.png

And here are my stats for this week (wait for it, wait for it ... :wink: )

* I got 80k steps in thanks to the marathon support yesterday. The rest of the week was no walking weather unfortunately. I'm 30k above my yearly target, which will be needed as end of April we will go for a week on a boat in Egypt for some diving. There is no way I'll achieve 11k steps a day on a boat ! :lol:
    * continue to read Becks flashcards: check
    * 2 fitness sessions: check
    * 1 PT session every 2 weeks: this was my week off
    * Lose a bit: from 74 (163 lbs) to 72,5 (160 lbs) : And suddenly, just like that, the weight dropped ! I'm now at 72,7. It means that my goal of this month is within grasp. I've upped my cals a little bit as I will slowly go into maintenance the coming weeks (I can hardly believe I'm writing this !! :smiley: )
    * Diving and bicycle rides according to weather: no diving, no cycling - no sir, not during apocalyptic rainfall.

You all have a good workweek ladies !! Let us know how you are all doing (it's been a bit quiet for some :wink: )

• spl8
    spl8 Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    Weekly Check In
    59 yo, 5'7"
    SW (12/2022) 160
    02/27: 151.6
    03/06: 150.8
    03/13: 149.4
    03/20: 149.4
    03/27: 148.8
    GW 139 (or thereabouts)

Did a decent amount of strength training this week. Felt good, but I'm sore. Weather has not been conducive to running.
  • SherryRueter
    SherryRueter Posts: 2,853 Member
    edited March 2023
    Options
    @spl8 Nice job getting in some workouts.
    @Antiopelle sorry to hear about all of the rain. That gets old Quickly! I've been away on a ship all of last week. It was so good for the mind. somehow I came back 1# lighter (I am SO thankful it wasn't the 5# higher that I suspected). When is egypt? Do you do this often?

interesting convo ... so many valid points! Investing more per month in the home gym vs the big box gym. I also have zero regrets on my at home equipment. i still have a gym membership that I probably should cancel or pause for the next few months.

ZERO regrets getting my little rack that I have right now (it's a weird one, some type of half rack design that I got used off FB, but has served me well to now). It's a chunk, but when you consider any lifting gym is around $150/month around here, it would more than pay for itself in less than 2 years (not even counting the time or gas involved).

workout: Day 1 P90X : Chest and back Still to do is the Ab/core segment or 15mins core work. I have also started a plan with a certified coach with the plan of getting my *kitten* back in gear on nutrition. While my vacay was successful at not gaining weight, I don't want to stay where I am at. So, today and tomorrow are detox days (very high veggie days). I haven't really studied the other days...taking it in slow, bite sized pieces.

Waves to everyone else..... CBSLIM etc. Hiiiii....
  • mandycat_florida
    Options
    It's been a while since I read any of Dr. Judith Beck's books. An earlier reference to "Beck flash cards" prompted me to take another look at her books. I downloaded the Kindle version of "The Complete Beck Diet for Life" because several reviews mentioned its usefulness as a maintenance tool. It's packed full of good ideas but to my mind not organized in its most useful format. The meat of the matter is a series of "cards" that Dr. Beck wants us to record on index cards as we bumble across them in our reading. Sorry, Doctor, but the chances of me transcribing 59 cards are just about zero.

I finally tracked them down at quizlet.com, in a printable flash card format . It was still a bit cumbersome getting all 59 of them printed and assembled, but worth it I think. The quizlet cards are in no discernable order so I sorted them out into categories that made sense to me and put them in a small binder. I'm trying to make reading all or some of them part of my already action packed morning routine.
  • SherryRueter
    SherryRueter Posts: 2,853 Member
    Options
    @mandycat_florida wonderful idea!
  • HoneyBadger302
    Options
    Happy Monday Ladies!
    My weekend was overall good - long, and busy, but good. Saturday was my horse lesson, then stopped to grab a couple things from a tack store in the region, then headed up to the mountains to work on my race bike. Sunday got a little done at home then we headed up to the mountains to ride since the weather up there was looking good, but pretty awful down by us (which ended up canceling the horsey field trip). I had a good ride as far as my riding went: bike was great, roads were great, weather was great. My issue was that I left with a group, but once again, the guys all took off riding like jerks - I had no problem keeping up in the technical areas or twisties, but they'd go romping on it significantly speeding in all the straights and even through fairly rural-residential areas - something I'm simply not willing to do. Not only is it completely unsafe, it's also rude to the local residents, and it's a great way to get a massive ticket if you really need another reason to be reasonable. So I ended up completely separated from the group - just went where I thought they might be going (they weren't going that way) and ended up on my own. Which would have been fine if that had been my plan. I enjoy solo rides, but NOT when things were planned around a group.
    Anyways, just trying to figure out how I want to handle it going forward - I'd just go do my own ride, or with a very select couple other riders, but my boyfriend "wants" to ride with me, but all the guys want to ride with him (he's the local old fast dude who's been riding up there for 20 years), so even if I say I'm going to go do my own thing, he says he wants to ride with me, and then all the guys do what he ends up doing, and I'm right back to square one. I also feel a little bad for always wanting to go off on my own and him not getting to ride with the groups like he enjoys...but it ends up ruining my day, so, ya....guess I just gotta figure it out...
  • Cora0477
    Cora0477 Posts: 326 Member
    edited March 2023
    Options
    Hi, Ladies.

I’m late to the March game but did not want to wait just so I could start on a 1st of a month.

Warning: way too long…

This has been a difficult several months for me. We moved this summer, but we were supposed to move to one state and it got changed to a different state at the 11th hour. Super stressful trying to figure out schools and a place to live. (We also sent our oldest off to college for the first time during that move. That was hard too.)

We moved in to a rental in August, but then moved into another one at the end of January. Right before Christmas though, we got hit in an intersection and our car was totaled. We all managed to walk away without serious injury, but didn’t get the car thing sorted out until just a couple weeks ago. It was very stressful too.
    And then my mother died at the end of February. It was unexpected and was harder than I expected.

With all the moving and being down a car, I had not been going to the gym and had barely any fitness. I had been using alcohol to deal with the anxiety and emotions too. I was eating fairly healthy and wasn’t binge eating, but I was not watching my calories and reached the point that I was running out of clothes that fit.

I have finally gotten a plan made to get back on track.
    1. I’ve decided to go dry for a bit. (Going on two weeks now.)
    2. I’ve gotten back into a running and strength training routine. (On week 4 of my running program and week 2 of strength)
    3.Today was the first day back at food logging. I didn’t really have any trouble staying under my calorie limit, but I did have trouble hitting my macros. Protein, fiber and iron being the three I watch.

I have finally been able to sleep without sleep meds, but even with full night sleep, I’ve been so completely exhausted every single day. I know a lot of that is probably due to grief, and just the sheer amount of things on my plate, but I really want to feel better already. I’m hoping all the healthy steps I’m taking will pay off soon because I’m tired of feeling like crap.

I am 45, 5’4” and about 137. My goal is a strong 125ish. I would prefer a loss of 1lb a week, but I’ll be happy with anything a half a pound and up. I’ve been through this before and don’t stress about fluctuations as long as I’ve been following the plan.

If you’ve made it this far, bless you. I know it was a lot. I really just wanted to get it all out so it can help me stay focused. Looking forward to the journey with you all. And I promise I’m not always this verbose. :)
  • Kiwi2mfp
    Kiwi2mfp Posts: 166 Member
    Options
    Cora0477 wrote: »
    Hi, Ladies.

I’m late to the March game but did not want to wait just so I could start on a 1st of a month.

Warning: way too long…

This has been a difficult several months for me. We moved this summer, but we were supposed to move to one state and it got changed to a different state at the 11th hour. Super stressful trying to figure out schools and a place to live. (We also sent our oldest off to college for the first time during that move. That was hard too.)

We moved in to a rental in August, but then moved into another one at the end of January. Right before Christmas though, we got hit in an intersection and our car was totaled. We all managed to walk away without serious injury, but didn’t get the car thing sorted out until just a couple weeks ago. It was very stressful too.
    And then my mother died at the end of February. It was unexpected and was harder than I expected.

With all the moving and being down a car, I had not been going to the gym and had barely any fitness. I had been using alcohol to deal with the anxiety and emotions too. I was eating fairly healthy and wasn’t binge eating, but I was not watching my calories and reached the point that I was running out of clothes that fit.

I have finally gotten a plan made to get back on track.
    1. I’ve decided to go dry for a bit. (Going on two weeks now.)
    2. I’ve gotten back into a running and strength training routine. (On week 4 of my running program and week 2 of strength)
    3.Today was the first day back at food logging. I didn’t really have any trouble staying under my calorie limit, but I did have trouble hitting my macros. Protein, fiber and iron being the three I watch.

I have finally been able to sleep without sleep meds, but even with full night sleep, I’ve been so completely exhausted every single day. I know a lot of that is probably due to grief, and just the sheer amount of things on my plate, but I really want to feel better already. I’m hoping all the healthy steps I’m taking will pay off soon because I’m tired of feeling like crap.

I am 45, 5’4” and about 137. My goal is a strong 125ish. I would prefer a loss of 1lb a week, but I’ll be happy with anything a half a pound and up. I’ve been through this before and don’t stress about fluctuations as long as I’ve been following the plan.

If you’ve made it this far, bless you. I know it was a lot. I really just wanted to get it all out so it can help me stay focused. Looking forward to the journey with you all. And I promise I’m not always this verbose. :)

I am so sorry you are going through so much and for your loss. It is very hard to want to have goals when stressed and/grieving. The fact that you are bouncing back even a little already is amazing. I had to give up drinking completely in January 2021. I was leaning on it for stress management and realized one day that if I kept up that pace I'd be an alcoholic very very quickly. I haven't had a drink in over two years now. It's hard to learn new stress management skills (drinking seems so much easier but it's not really) but it is so much healthier for you when you do. The first major stress event that I encountered after giving up drinking I had to call the VA crises line to calm me down (just panick attacks nothing more serious). They told me some breathing techniques and grounding exercises to help me recover normal breathing. Anyway, I do wish you success in all your goals. I read your whole comment and don't mind at all being an ear to vent to. I do hope life takes it easier on you very very soon.
  • mandycat_florida
    Options
    Cora0477: I thought I'd had a rough year. It was a month at the spa compared to your own travails. Hearty congratulations for getting back on track. Your decision to go dry at least for a while was a wise one. That old saying was wrong. The road to H3!! isn't paved with good intentions; it's paved with martini glasses. Don't ask me how I know.
  • CeeBeeSlim
    CeeBeeSlim Posts: 1,261 Member
    Options
    Welcome @Cora0477 and @Kiwi2mfp! I think you will find this a very supportive group. Kudos to you for getting back on track.

Been away for a bit. Travel with parents for their doc appts. Last one this Friday and then back on the road to take them home this weekend. Still doing well on the no meat, no processed sweets, and 10k minimum per day. But why lie, can’t wait til Lent is over! 🤣