Navigating November!

Options
magic71755
magic71755 Posts: 3,770 Member
edited November 2023 in Social Groups
Time to revisit the reason* for this group...I know I need it!

"WELCOME! This group is for anyone aiming to eat a more plant-based, nutritarian diet. Our sources of guidance and inspiration include Joel Fuhrman (Eat to Live, End of Dieting), John A. McDougall, Neal Barnard, Caldwell Esselstyn, Rip Esselstyn (Engine2), Michael Greger, Dean Ornish, T. Colin Campbell, The Game Changers, Forks Over Knives, and more. You don't have to be 100% WFPB / vegan / vegetarian to join us. We all follow a path based on what works for us in our lives and for our bodies and personalities. Whatever plan leads you to success and better health is the best plan!"

*The description of this group, written by @Mihani ! (I think)

November has so many pitfalls...reasons to deviate left and right. However, if you stand firm in your beliefs that living healthy, active lives is your goal as the years pile on, then the decisions are already made for you.

Personally speaking, my brother-in-law's health scare (90% blockage in his carotid artery), had a huge impact on me. I am making changes to clean up my act. Reading labels a lot more carefully on those products that are not fresh, is necessary. I love the FOODUCATE app ... helps in the decision-making.

Living alone and having only myself to count on...ending up bedridden with others caring for me is an extremely scary prospect. I am set on making sure that does not happen.

November is about gratitude as well...at 75, working full time, with no real health concerns, makes me one very grateful girl. But it is work. No one can do it for you. We are in charge of our health.

Replies

• magic71755
    edited November 2023
    Options
    Aug 8: 154.6
    Sept 1: 152.4
    Oct 1: 150.2
    Nov 1: 150.0

Dentist was just long and noisy...cracking and drilling sounds! Love that it is over with. You better believe I am going to waterpik and floss daily from now on.

Made spaghetti sauce using tofu...not crazy about it. Maybe will taste better in a few days.

today
    cereal and almond milk and banana
    bean burrito
    spaghetti (two more days of Gardein ground be'f)
    not sure about dessert...maybe peanuts and raisins.

making life delicious!
  • Marilynsretired
    Marilynsretired Posts: 5,396 Member
    Options
    Start of a new month so have set a few reachable goals.
    1) Eat only nutritious foods knowing there could be weak moments but remembering my body needs only healthy nutritious food
    2) drink 2 L of water each day helping my kidneys
    3) walk each day on the treadmill

I have done that for the past week and all is well. So I will do it again for the next 7 days. Am up to 12 minutes on the treadmill and for an old lady of 75 that is pretty good since I do have mobility issues.

I had surgery on my left arm ( my prominent one ) praying that my body does not reject the fisqula like it did on the right arm. I am been blessed to have gotten 13 months now with no diaylsis and this is truly a blessing as 13 months ago they were not sure I would live till the end of the year and were sure I would be on diaylsis by December 2022 = and here I am still holding on. My number re kidney function ( last month ) were far to low (10) when a healthy kidney function is 60 but I am believing in a healing / miracle and that when I have blood work done in 2 weeks we will see a positive change - just for that number to go up to 15 - 16 would be such a blessing and I believe it can and will. Taking it day by day and doing what I need to repair my body.

As for weight I am going to work on losing 8 pounds this month - yes that is a lot but I want to reach 230 before the month ends so I will do all that I can to improve my health.

x4oaf2axatqw.jpg
  • Mihani
    Mihani Posts: 3,897 Member
    Options
    Thanks for getting things started, Nanc. Glad to hear the dentist wasn't too bad. Yay for 150! You are doing great and going to see the 140's soon I'm sure. Woohoo!

Marilyn, great job on the treadmill. Sending positive vibes your way for the kidney function improvement.

This has been a trying week all around. I'm going to bed early tonight. I have been out of sorts and everyone at the office is annoying me. Not anything particular, I think I'm just sick of all of them. LOL

Been doing well sticking to healthy foods and only planned meals/snacks.
  • bisky
    bisky Posts: 973 Member
    Options
    Is it really November? What happened to October?

Blocked carotids is very scary and a good reminder of how unhealthy diets affect our health.

Marilyn - I think when I was diagnosed with several chronic diseases (Celiacs and Menier’s) requiring me to give up certain foods I really began eating for health rather than being on a diet. This mindset has helped me lose 63 lbs this year. 37 lbs to go!

Friend in town. He wanted to go to a Texan steak house🙄. I ordered all veggie sides (steamed green beans, sautéed mushrooms and mashed potatoes no gravy) and drank water. I know the mushrooms were sautéed in butter so I shared them. Nobody really cared what I was eating. We just had a good time. We went for a long walk on the Riverwalk. Enjoying the cooler My friend is the one who lost his wife to cancer last year and is keeping Buster, my Yorkshire terrier. He is going to Nepal for 4 weeks so we are taking care of Buster! It is good to have him back but he does love Mark.
  • magic71755
    edited November 2023
    Options
    today
    black coffee
    cereal (Cascadian Farms Organic Purely Os) almond milk and banana (if I stop at the market on the way to work)
    bean burrito
    spaghetti
    made with tofu instead of Gardein ground be'f added two shredded zucchinis, a package of sliced mushrooms and the entire, onion, chopped. One jar of Rao's. Bought a two-pack months ago...this is the last jar. Will opt for a less "oily" one next time or make my own sauce.
    honey crisp apple
    peanuts and raisins

Everyone sounds like they are on plan and ready to make decisions based on health rather than "taste and want/cravings" Not always easy. Improvement is something to pay attention to and give your credit for... daily improvements are a great way to reward yourself.

living life healthy!

“The doctor of the future will give no medicine, but will instruct his patients in care of the human frame, in diet, and in the cause and prevention of disease.” – Thomas Edison

• Marilynsretired
    Options
    1cc2v2ihw064.jpg
  • Mihani
    edited November 2023
    Options
    Nanc your plan sounds delish! Y'all have me thinking about spaghetti. I'm going to try Carla's spaghetti sauce this weekend.

Bisky, I remember you talking about Buster. Sweet that you'll get to keep him again for a bit.

I need to make a quick stop for broccoli and peppers tomorrow. I don't really have to go to the office for the first weekend in a while. Everything I need to get done can be done at home. Yay! So I'll make time for some real prepping. I'm not tired of the veggie wraps and soups, etc. but still it would be nice to have something a little different this weekend.

Meeting up with friends after work tomorrow. We'll see whether I can stick to my guns and not have a cocktail. If I do it will only be one, but I'm trying to stay away from it for a while.

• magic71755
    edited November 2023
    Options
    Morning all...

Yes, making our sauce is by far the best way...but there is one on the market...(let me go look, it was recommended by HCH - high carb hannah)...brb...

Cucina Antica Pasta Sauce, Tomato Basil, 25 Ounce ... good...no oil

It's on amazon and has gone up 10 dollars since I bought it in 2022. So $32 for a three-pack.

Uh no. (I'll make Carla's next time) <3

today's plan

black coffee
    cereal but with blueberries and almond milk (cascadian farms organic Os)
    last of the spaghetti (it tasted fine with the tofu...will make it again that way for me. For company, I will use the Gardein ground be'f)
    honey crisp apple
    peanuts and raisins
    bean burrito

Love that you are not going into the office, Mihani. I will be home cleaning and doing laundry and getting as many greens and beans into me.

I have a belated birthday lunch on Monday.

Make it delicious AND healthy!

• magic71755
    edited November 2023
    Options
    CARLA'S PASTA SAUCE (IN CASE ANYONE NEEDS IT)

Here's our pasta sauce recipe. This makes a lot, but with the cans it is a little harder to make half so I'll leave that up to you to play with if you want.

1 pepper
    1 onion
    8 oz mushrooms
    - sauté in water

4 tsp garlic powder, onion powder, oregano
    1 tsp salt or to taste
    1/2 tsp pepper
    - add spices to veggies in pan

3 15 oz cans diced tomatoes
    1 15 oz can tomato sauce
    1 can tomato paste (6oz?)
    - mix it all together and simmer 15 or 20 minutes

(I will add two shredded zucchinis)
  • bisky
    Options
    :) Carla - That looks like a delicious recipe. Is it 4 tsp each of garlic & onion powder and oregano?

Trying to get motivated to swim now temperatures are down. I know the pool will be cold.

Cold weather makes me want to drink hot tea all day. yyvak0zq3ljp.jpeg
    f7dx53scuwg0.jpeg

Buster has fitted back in..As if he never left. It will be hard to give him up.

Making black bean soup today. Brooks had face lazer yesterday for precancerous lesions. He looks like Freddie Krueger.

Down a few more lbs. this week. 36 more to go until goal weight. Then the hard work of keeping it off. 😬
  • Marilynsretired
    Options
    osa62jdczk6s.jpg
  • Carla_wfpb
    Carla_wfpb Posts: 1,335 Member
    Options
    I'm glad that you can be out of the office this weekend, Mihani!

Enjoy your time with Buster, Donna. Yes, 4 tsp of each of those spices. Sorry, I was being lazy. Joe is the one that usually does the pasta sauce and so he was listing everything off quickly for me.

Marilyn, it sounds like you have a good plan. Every bit helps! Good job keeping up with the treadmill.

Nance, thanks for re-posting the recipe. I should put my go-to recipes in the recipe section.

The spaghetti sauce is good. The baked tofu chunks do go a long way to add to it imo, like a meatball substitute. And don't forget walnut parm on top! yum!

Joe and I are going to try a local plant based meal provider. It is from a place called Plantage and they make 3 different entrees each week. We are going to sign up for 12 meals (3 different dishes x 4 portions) and see what we think. We'll only have to figure out 1 dinner a week and I'm hoping we can avoid the food waste from over shopping and then under preparing.

I've totally *kitten* the bed as far as walking. No good reason, I need to get back at it. I purchased some new clothes in my current size that I really like. No point wearing clothes that are too tight or ugly things that make me feel worse. I'm going to stick to my food and exercise through the holiday season.
  • Marilynsretired
    Options
    h40u7zrqm8iz.jpg
  • Mihani
    edited November 2023
    Options
    Staying the course usual veggie wraps, salads, smoothies, oats.

Wow, poor Brooks, Bisky! That's a lot of lasering.

Yay for new clothes, Carla. I need to do that.

Thanks for sharing the sauce recipe again, Nanc.
  • magic71755
    edited November 2023
    Options
    0l2ah0c1cy0d.jpeg
    d9ee3c8tqxjj.jpeg
    Soooooooooooooo exciting, @Mihani ...darn, I so need a smiley for you! I wish you good luck with the new home. It's a fab idea!

It's great that Brooks had the laser done, @bisky ...good thoughts coming your way! The doggos look so cute.

@Carla_wfpb, I would be interested in hearing the verdict on your meal delivery. My niece got me Factor for my birthday. The only thing is, there are only two vegan options. She thought there were more but, those were vegetarian. I will wait til she is here for Thanksgiving to do the ordering. There were some things I did not understand.

My brother-in-law has made a great recovery. He was out of the hospital on MONDAY...three days after surgery for 90%blockage of the carotid artery. He is willing to try new stuff ...my sister, not so much...not even "not so much"...pretty much NOT AT ALL. Very defensive and stubborn.

Still no nutpods. yay me

black coffee
    cereal and almond milk and blueberries
    buddha bowl: greens, carrots, red bell pepper, cuke, edamame, jasmine rice, cilantro, seaweed snacks, dressing from the latest by Cheap Lazy Vegan: peanut butter, seasoned rice vinegar, maple syrup, garlic powder, ginger powder, water. (pictures above ;) )
    spaghetti so yum
    honey crisp apple.

making life deeeeeelicious and healthy!

• Mihani
    Options
    Thanks, Nanc, but I actually deleted that. We decided against it. But life got really exciting there for 24 hours or so. LOL

I'm heading out to a baby shower. Just a few people brunch. Not one of those parties where you play silly games. I hate those and usually avoid them.

Then a stop at the grocery and home to get some work and cooking done. I am not going to the office. It will be there tomorrow.
  • bisky
    Options
    This group is the best. So positive!

Nanc - I love that picture! The bowl of goodness looks delicious. Very inspiring💕
    My 81 yo sister has 50% blocked coronary arteries. She has always been a big red meat and chicken eater 🤢and carb eater but thin. She seemed so frail this last visit.

Carla- can’t wait to hear how Plantage works for you. I have decided to take advantage of chopped vegetables at Trader Joe’s for soup mixes such as mirepoix and butternut squash. I wish I wasn’t so lazy about food prep but I am. I want to spend more time walking and brushing my dogs, making cards and organizing. I also want to eat healthy and not let food go to waste.

Mihani - How did the drinks after work go? Glad you are skipping the office. Yay for an extra hour of sleeping in.

Went with my friend Karla to an estate sale and a thrift store yesterday. Did not find much at estate sale except really cute jeans size 12! I am a size 14 but goal to lose 35 more lbs. At J Jill they had these cute purple velvet pants that were too expensive. At the thrift store my friend Karla found for me Ralph Lauren velvet purple pants! I found for her Dansko leather clogs that looked like they have never been worn. Score. We had lunch at a place I have been wanting to try out called Sweetgreen. Salad bar chain. I had chopped kale, roasted mushrooms, sweet potatoes, onions, black and red beans, wild rice, red peppers and walnuts. It was so good. I brought more than half home and made veggie breakfast scramble for Brooks and I. I also found a German lead crystal wine glass for my niece at thrift store. She collects these. $6.00. $40-50 on Etsy & EBay.

Black bean soup was delicious.
  • bisky
    Options
    ea0d15etxyjc.jpeg
    Glass for my niece.
  • Marilynsretired
    Options
    783fsd0s2idp.jpg
  • magic71755
    Options
    Gooooooooooood Morning Everyone...having a cuppa black, black, black coffee...I am pretty okay with it now.

Bisk! There is nothing wrong with using the prepped veggies from Trader Joe's...you do what works for you...and this works. Saves money since u are not wasting precious time that u use for things you love doing. Win! Win! I use some prepped foods...the greens in the bags to make salads....much better if you use them up before they get all gooey! I stopped buying too many...two at the most is all I buy at one time...time saver and I love the organic herb salad mixture.

Fun times at the thrift store...great finds!

Well, it was a few hours of OH MY Goodness! Mihani! Now back to reality. I will say that after my experience with the stupid patio people, I now use my patio (of course it is not summer at 110 degrees)...I Little Green Machine'd the cushions and got a blower to keep it clean. Also, some citronella candles and yellow lights to keep the bugs away. My point is that I appreciate it so much more now than before when I thought I was going to enclose it. Love and appreciate what you have is where my thought process has gone.

Oh, and I am working hard to pay off the house and then buy out my car lease by July 1, 2027...that will be a super 4th in this home. Just for reference, I was living in a board and care, then a low-income one-room occupancy place from 2002 - 2006. Life got horrible and I spiraled into a depression and dug myself out of it. I was in CA at the time. The only saving grace was Ernestine (may she rest in peace)...I adopted her in 2003. She saved my life. 2/14/03 - 11/23/17

Back to today..

black coffee
    cereal, almond milk, strawberries
    birthday lunch...vietnamese ban mi
    dinner...some easy, salad
    dessert: apple

making life deeeeeeeeeee licous!