Downsizers Team Chat - JANUARY 2024

Options
jugar
jugar Posts: 10,102 Member
edited February 4 in Social Groups
9mff8anouh0c.png
Here is your Team chat room for January 2024. Happy New Year! This is where you weigh in, post your goals and progress, discuss any issues or topics of interest, share ideas, support your teammates, receive help when you need it, and dream big. Try to post often, and help each other succeed! Bookmark this thread to make it easy to land here any time.

Fat2Fit has five great teams. The group and team leaders are as follows:

Our Moderators:
Liselyn - @jugar
Megan - @Megan_smartiepants1970
Ashley - @minstrelofsarcasm
Jessica - @jessicakrall8

Our Team Captains:
Downsizers - @lindamtuck2018 and @Megan_smartiepants1970
Mission Slimpossible - @Katmary71 and @trooworld
Weight No More - @minstrelofsarcasm and @melaniedscott
WaistAways - @jugar and @ashleycarole86
Shape Shifters - @jessicakrall8 and @Pupowl

Our Team Motivators:
Downsizers - @Slimmersixties & @NachDeezy
Mission Slimpossibles - open
Weight No More - @rachelrjh
WaistAways - @MaddawgMadsen
Shape Shifters - @Sbus12 and @Cyncia85

HOW IT ALL WORKS: The January challenge runs for 5 weeks, from December 31 - February 3. F2F months always start on a Sunday and end on a Saturday, so adjust your calendars!

Everyone weighs in weekly on their chosen day right here in the team chat. At the end of each week, the tallies are done to determine the team and individuals with the most weight lost. The best losers are announced with full fanfare every Sunday. The team competition is all in good spirits - may the most losing win, and may everyone else get to work on next week!

We also celebrate those small, steady losses. If you lose, however small an amount, you are in the green! At the end of the month, we celebrate everyone who lost at least a bit every single week. You are heading steadily towards your goal even if you aren't at the top of the weight loss leaderboard.

To make your weigh-in easy to find for your team Captains, please put it right at the top of a message, and use this format:
Weigh In Day:
PW (Previous Weight):
CW (Current Weight):

If you miss two weigh-ins in a row without asking for a break, you will be dropped from the team, so be sure to inform your team captain if you are traveling, sick, or just need some time off. If you want a break, you can be excused for a week or two, or can be moved to the Support Team for as long as you need. You still participate in the discussions, you can weigh in if you want to, but it will not count in the weekly tally. Don't worry! You can always come back even if you get dropped.

Once you reach your goal weight, you join the Goal Zone. You continue to weigh in every week. If you have 2 weeks above your self-defined goal zone, you go back to the regular team to lose that amount before it builds up. You will have a chance to hone those maintenance skills and stick with your team.

In addition to your own team, there are weekly F2F Full Group CHALLENGES. You can do all or none - it's up to you. Participating adds a lot to your success, so we hope to see you there often! These can involve anything fitness, health, or nutrition - and they’ll get you moving, thinking, and learning about this journey. Check the Announcements section for full group challenges.

Let’s show our fellow challengers some F2F love! Introduce yourselves right away, and let the first month of 2024 begin!!

Replies

• RoblinB
    RoblinB Posts: 216 Member
    Options
    Hi everyone! I have been a MFP member since 2018, but really just lurked the message boards off and on until this past July when I hit my highest weight of 200 lbs. I was very afraid of this new territory and knew I had to do something different. Not one to do social media in any way, it was a substantial step for me to actually post anything on this website, never mind ask for inclusion in the Fat2Fit group. Given my long-standing eating habits (bingeing-type behaviours, sneaking food, emotional eating, etc.), I had this sense that accountability was really the missing piece for me, but not in the way that my family would try to offer if I asked it of them. So I jumped in with this bunch of strangers and promised myself that I would be honest with them. I was also pretty sure that I could prevent a substantial amount of damage if I actually asked for accountability specifically before heading into vulnerable eating situations. And you strangers have indeed been a gift to me! Thank you for letting me lean on you in this way.

I guess this post was supposed to be an introduction, so more generally... married mom of two nearly grown college kids still circling the nest, supporting both elderly mom and my husband with chronic disease concerns, work full time for a university, love music.

Just to end the year, my top NSVs (in addition to some of the things mentioned above):
    • Pulling out my winter jacket this fall and zipping it up with no problem.
    • Finding jeans in the back of my closet that now work (and some are now too big!)
    • Looking in a full length mirror (I used to never do this!)
    • Being surprised at how my face is changing on Zoom meetings (in the past, work has given me many uncomfortable opportunities to assess this!)
    • Carrying 20+ pounds of groceries and being reminded that I have lost substantially more
    • Feeling hopeful about more changes that have long felt out of reach.

So here's to more NSV's for all of us in the year to come, because I think, even though we keep track of pounds and inches and steps, this effort is really about contributing to the rebuilding (or maybe building for the first time) of a life that we want to live.

Much joy to you all in 2024! :)
  • jessicakrall8
    jessicakrall8 Posts: 5,105 Member
    Options
    The January Week 1 Group Challenge is open and ready to begin on Sunday, Dec. 31st and will run until Saturday, Jan. 6th. Please join us for the New Year New You Challenge! Here's your link:

https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10906030/january-week-1-group-challenge-new-year-new-you-challenge#latest

Hope to see you in the chat thread...great opportunity to set and begin working on new goals!
    Jessica :blush:
  • rainyrae
    rainyrae Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    OMG! Just got another very good reason to lose this weight and get healthy! Our middle son and DIL just stopped by to give us a bottle of wine that had a quote on it…. “Pairs nicely with becoming a grandparent”!! They have been trying for a year and a half! This will be our fourth! I am so excited and I want to tell everyone but they haven’t told everyone in the family yet so I have to keep it a secret for now. So even though y’all don’t know anyone I do…… Shhhh😂
  • Megan_smartiepants1970
    Megan_smartiepants1970 Posts: 39,468 Member
    Options
    rainyrae wrote: »
    OMG! Just got another very good reason to lose this weight and get healthy! Our middle son and DIL just stopped by to give us a bottle of wine that had a quote on it…. “Pairs nicely with becoming a grandparent”!! They have been trying for a year and a half! This will be our fourth! I am so excited and I want to tell everyone but they haven’t told everyone in the family yet so I have to keep it a secret for now. So even though y’all don’t know anyone I do…… Shhhh😂

That is awesome ...Congrats :)
  • iLive2Walk
    iLive2Walk Posts: 3,222 Member
    edited December 2023
    Options
    Since March I have been writing a montly reflection - this month - reflected on the year. Thought I would share as my introduction.

2023 Reflection

What a year it has been. In January my husband went back to work on a temporary assignment for six months. It was the first time in my life that I was alone most of the day. I thought it was the perfect time for me to focus on me for a change and vowed to lose weight, get healthy, give up some bad habits, and exercise. I started walking every day and found a tracker to record my yearly miles. I started with a goal of 1,960 miles in 2023. My weight loss goal was to get out of the obese category – which would mean about 60 pounds. When Greg’s assignment was over, I was worried that I would fall back into the old routine – but happily he not only supported my quest to get healthy, he joined me every day for my AM walk (weather permitting)!

Since moving to East Hampton 20 years ago, I have had this thought about walking the entirety of the Airline trail from East Hampton to Willimantic. I also thought this was the perfect opportunity for me to accomplish that. I started the trek on January 23. I posted my intention on Facebook to keep me accountable and blogged about my daily adventures. I completed the 62-mile journey on February 22, averaging a little over 2.5 miles per day and lost 14 pounds in the process. I thought, “what now”?

I found My Fitness Pal and started tracking my daily calories. This wasn’t motivating enough, so found the challenges forum on the site and thought let’s give it a try. I was addicted. I joined many challenges on the site – too many. I have my favorites – two that are competition based, The Biggest Loser Challenge and the Hogwarts Challenge. They make losing weight and exercising fun. I liked them so much that I became a co-captain of the BLC challenge. I chose this one because Hogwarts is too creative for my mathematical brain to be a leader - LOL. I also am fond of a couple others (Fat to Fit and the 5% challenges) which are a lot less intense. The last two tend to overlap with my favorites, so aren’t too hard to manage. I am also in a support group, for friendship and encouragement. I know it seems like a lot – but I love it, it keeps me motivated, and most importantly they are working for me!

In October I met my 60-pound loss goal, and I added a new goal, another 28 pounds to get in the ideal range. I have lost 64 pounds so far, another 24 to go to meet my goal. I met my 1,960 miles in 2023 goal in October, upped the goal to 2,023 and met that in November. I ended the year with a little over 2,500 miles.

What are my plans for 2024?
    • Starting the year with a 10K walk in January 1
    • I will reach my goal weight – hoping by my birthday in August; then the maintenance period – which I’m thinking will be just as hard, if not harder.
    • I am continuing with my groups on My Fitness Pal.
    • I am also feeling very nostalgic and decided to do the Airline Trail again – this time Greg is joining me. Can’t wait – he is a little under the weather at the moment – will start when he is healthy.
    • I signed up for the 2,024 miles in 2024. I was going to change to intentional walking only, but the 2,023 routine worked for me so I’m going to do the same for 2024.
    • I am going to focus a little more on nutrition this year, not just calories-in, calories-out. I think in the beginning of the year I will just monitor it – see how close I am to getting my recommended macronutrients goals, then adjust as I become more familiar with it.
    • Try to get at least 6 glasses of water in.
    • Strength train 3 days/week, flex 1 day.
    • Read a little more.
    • Have some fun.
  • iLive2Walk
    Options
    @rainyrae Welcome to the group - and congratulations, my lips are sealed 🤐
  • lindamtuck2018
    lindamtuck2018 Posts: 9,510 Member
    Options
    @iLive2Walk
    I love your monthly and yearly reflection. I was kind of thinking on doing something I saw on facebook. Each week you write something good that happened. Then at the end of the year you can read all of them.
    6y3nnx0ffehr.jpeg
  • lindamtuck2018
    edited December 2023
    Options
    I think the fact our January challenge starts on New Years Eve gives us time to look at what has worked the last year and that we can continue doing in 2024. We can also reflect on what didn’t work and what we can change to make 2024 a success. Please share with the team.
  • rainyrae
    rainyrae Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    Good Morning!

I’m proud of my accomplished weight loss this year though I know there’s definitely room for improvement. What worked for my was trading my dinner plate for a salad plate and therefore reducing my portion sizes. I also stopped beating myself up for one bad day or even two bad days and just got back on track. I walked more and I passed on desserts every Friday night at our weekly family dinner. What didn’t work or better yet, what needs work is that I need to stop snacking in the evenings, and stop telling myself I’m too tired to go to the gym. I also need to stop having candy in the house. I LOVE CANDY! And I don’t discriminate, chocolate and sour candies alike, I love them all. They are leaving the house today! Here’s to a happy, healthy new year!!
  • RoblinB
    RoblinB Posts: 216 Member
    Options
    @Megan_smartiepants1970
    Dec 24 5887
    Dec 25 5251
    Dec 26 9085
    Dec 27 8044
    Dec 28 7818
    Dec 29 7540
    Dec 30 7351
    As ever, thank you! :)
  • lindamtuck2018
    Options
    Steps:4,753
    Rings: ❌
    Walk:❌
    Swim:

Not sure how I got my steps yesterday but it’s a bonus that I did. We are doing nothing for New Years Eve. My husband will pick up Chinese food. We plan on binge watching Better Call Saul. More than likely we will fall asleep before midnight.

What worked and didn’t work:

This year I had some big wins and big misses. I reached goal so that was huge. I also have made great progress on increasing my steps. I am doing more mini walks. My binge eating is pretty well under control which is a result of dealing with the urges to binge better. I continue to check in daily with the group which I know is a big part of my success. I need to continue doing all these things in 2024. My biggest miss without a doubt is my exercise record. I lost my motivation for a better part of the year. I tried so many different approaches to getting myself back to swimming 4 to 5 times per week. I have scheduled swimming, going different at different times(early, mid morning, lunchtime), trying to go with a friend and more. Losing weight is only half the battle for me. I need to improve my cardio and strengthen my muscles. Strength exercises in the pool and lengths with make a difference. Part of the problem is my bouts with low moods and my back/leg issues but the pool will help with both these things. To make this work, I need to push myself to go. I am starting with a low goal of going twice a week. Once I am consistently reaching this goal I will up it to three times a week an so on. I will work with the doctor on preventing the low mood periods which will also help getting me back in the pool. While I have improved my walking, I have not really looked at further ways to push this process. It’s time to look at some of the walking challenges some of my teammates are doing.

There is a quote I have read which goes something like: food is the most overused anti anxiety medication and exercise is the most under rated antidepressant. I can really relate to this.

I am eager to read what has worked for others as I maybe able to apply them to improve my weight loss/maintaining story.

Have a great New Year’s Eve!

• iLive2Walk
    edited December 2023
    Options
    @iLive2Walk
    I love your monthly and yearly reflection. I was kind of thinking on doing something I saw on facebook. Each week you write something good that happened. Then at the end of the year you can read all of them.
    6y3nnx0ffehr.jpeg

I love this idea - going to start that this week! Hope you don't mind that I share!💖
  • Megan_smartiepants1970
    Options
    I think the fact our January challenge starts on New Years Eve gives us time to look at what has worked the last year and that we can continue doing in 2024. We can also reflect on what didn’t work and what we can change to make 2024 a success. Please share with the team.

What didn't work for me was not being able to do much ...still in a soft cast and crutches .. I will be back in a hard cast down the road .. but I have made the decision to get off the pity party train ... I will be using my home gym for 30 minutes ...I will be finding a chair exercise on youtube for 30 minutes ...I will be going back on Keto starting tomorrow ...I will be meal prepping with my daughter's help ..I still will not be weighing in ...
  • minstrelofsarcasm
    minstrelofsarcasm Posts: 2,247 Member
    Options
    n1bx52w74edw.png

yajedszsnixq.png
    en644szlgdd4.png

Team Results
    By Percentage
    75hdj7cuvlkv.png

By Pounds
    qq7aqyzgd31x.png

Individual Results
    By Percentage
    q0tog03hth7b.png

By Pounds
    jsvsnfom9qhe.png
    49wt9m97tq0n.png

Team Winners
    r3hasa628187.png
  • Megan_smartiepants1970
    Options
    Congrats @abeks, @FindingSamMon and @prodigal6766 for being out top 3 weight loss losers for our wonderful team :)
This discussion has been closed.