Your present circumstances don't determine where you can go; they merely determine where you start!

Options
Snooozie
Snooozie Posts: 3,444 Member
A new year is ours - and it's the perfect time to reflect on all the wonderful possibilities that lie ahead for us in 2024! Happy New Year Suzy & Vail <3 and let's make this OUR year of self care - whatever that means to each of us, we deserve to take care of ourselves to the absolute best we can!! :)

Replies

• Vailara
    Vailara Posts: 2,452 Member
    Options
    Happy New Year! I hope it's a good one for all of us! You are so right, Snoozie. Let's really enjoy this one!
  • Snooozie
    Options
    I'm copying Suzy's post from our announcement page over here to the 2024 thread:

suzyqholland Posts:
    12:06AM

Happy New Year y’all! Let’s own this year! Let’s make it the year that we achieve our health goals! Thanks for hanging in there and keeping this group going.
  • Snooozie
    Options
    So this is our new discussion thread for 2024 here....
  • Vailara
    Options
    Oh I did post here. Thank you, Snooozie, for guiding us to the right place!

Well, it appears I didn't start yesterday, so am starting from today, really trying to get back on track. I can feel some of my old thinking coming back, which is what has caused my struggle in the first place. These kind of thoughts:

"It's only a few pounds (the December gain). Maybe I'm meant to be at this weight" (but then I'll think that for the next few pounds and so on.

"I only hit that low weight because of illness" And that's true, I lost a lot of weight with covid and maybe did need to put a little bit back on. And it messed up my eating as I'd lost my appetite and was trying to make myself eat more to get better. But that was months ago and I now weigh more than I did before covid

"People are saying I've lost too much weight and that I'm thin" People are saying that but it's not true. The sad fact is that weight loss now I'm older isn't very flattering, and I do look bonier and more haggard while still carrying plenty of body fat. Such is the curse of living long enough and managing to lose enough weight. On the BMI scale, I'm closer to overweight than underweight, whatever people say.

"This size up of clothes is a bit more comfortable and so I'll just wear that" The problems I have caused myself in the past by thinking that the answer to weight gain is to wear bigger clothes! I should be wearing how clothes fit as a guide to when to take action.

It's actually difficult because I am still in a healthy weight range so maybe would be fine to be where I am, but I have noticed a creep up, and I'm noticing the weight on my joints when I exercise. I still have not got back to the fitness level I was before covid, sadly, and even a little bit of extra weight doesn't help.

I can see some noticeable fat round my middle which wasn't there earlier in the year, and that might mean some internal fat too even if I'm a healthy BMI. And I'm stuck with this osteoarthritis pain and the only thing I can do to help is losing weight, healthy lifestyle, healthy eating, etc.

So that's where I am, at risk of becoming complacent and letting the weight creep up as it did before. And it's not inevitable at all! I have control over it! Just need to start from now.
  • Snooozie
    Options
    Vail a few of the things you mentioned struck home with me - i'll get to those in a minute..

I've been giving a lot of thought to what my "plan" is for my self care this year... its still a work in progress, but i am REALLY focusing on ACTUAL self care, and changing my mindset on a few things..

My first and foremost priority for my self care this year is to get stronger... i will need to actually set up a plan on how to do that now.. i can't just say it without determining how i will accomplish that so that's the next step for that priority..

My next area of self care is going to be completely banishing ANY thoughts of that "all or nothing" in regards to my eating habits.. you know what i mean.. i think oh i had a nice healthy breakfast.. then later i have 2 cookies and i think ok well might as well forget it for today now as i just blew it..and then i just use that as an excuse to go whole hog on junk for the rest of the day.. that ends now as i've been using it to self sabotage for far too long and i've come to realize how ludicrous that habit has actually been for me.

From now on, I'm just going to simplify things - focus on each day, one at a time,simply aiming to eat more veggies and small amounts of protein at every meal. There will be occasional days when I eat out, there will be occasional days when i do have a cookie, but i KNOW that by making those the exceptions instead of a "daily habit" (i.e., i often have a cup of tea and cookie a few hours after dinner... do i actually want the cookie? most times no, i do not.. its just a habit..) SO, by removing the stigma and guilt in my head of the "i blew it" mentality i wont have to berate myself anymore.. i am so done with that! ITS ALL about taking care of myself this year, not beating myself up because i won't have to anymore..

so to start this year, those are the 2 areas of self care i am going to focus on .. I have more but right now for the next 2 months, those are the priorities for me.

Vail - as to the "thoughts" running thru your head ... you know both suzy and i can relate to a couple of them!! especially the ones about what got us in our current conditions - whether it was illness or complacency or disease or because of (or in spite of!) what other people say to us.. or self sabotage or whatever... none of it has anything to do with where we can GO this year... it truly just does determine where we are starting NOW.. so bye bye to all those thoughts - they did their job, they identified why we are where we are now.. but now they have no place in our thoughts anymore... we can leave em behind now at our new starting point to taking care of ourselves this year!

• Vailara
    Options
    Getting stronger is a great priority! What sort of plan are you thinking of?

I get you on the all or nothing mindset. Why do we do that? I have been thinking about that myself and I thnk that if I mess up it feels like an opportunity to eat even more and I don't want to miss that opportunity ... you are right about the starting from now. I know that of course! But need a reminder. A day's 24 hours doesn't have to run midnight to midnight, so if I eat chocolate at half past six, I can count it as the previous (messed up) day and start my new day from that time.

Another thing that has worked for me before is postponing. If I really want that chocolate I tell myself I can have it. But in an hour, or a day or some other time, if I still really want it that much. I have been going for instant gratification a lot!

Your mindset changes sound great! That's the thing, I think we have to think about it and why we are making those decisions, because it's so automatic and instinctive.

I know we are not looking to the past too much, but I am going to pay some attention to things that have worked for me in the past. For instance, eating lots of veg and buying stuff that is very simple and easy to prepare. And I am going to continue to pay for and use my exercise programme as it's the most consistent I've ever been with exercise.
  • Snooozie
    Options
    I’m using my phone for the moment, so I have to keep it brief but yes, I agree. There was also benefit to looking back at what has worked for us! Winter has started here, and I find I am craving hearty carby things. But I’m also making sure I remind myself how much I love veggies. Tonight I had cooked spinach and carrots and a little bit of broccoli along with the small boneless pork chop. And it was totally satisfying, so I’m glad I picked it instead of making up something like a mac & cheese! I’m also going to try a few times a week to have my main meal at lunch and then just soup at dinner I have a few frozen and ready to go - I haven’t figured out the strength training yet vail but I absolutely know I need to put something in place to make that happen. I can’t just wing it. I’m truly thinking about simply getting a personal trainer because I have two full gyms down in my condo, one with weights, one with tread mills, etc. so I don’t think it would make sense for me to buy a gym membership when I can use the gym for free. I might be better off hiring a personal trainer but that’s something I have to look into as well. I can’t wait much longer though I have to get cracking on it.
  • Vailara
    edited January 15
    Options
    That is great that you have a gym in your condo! Two gyms! That would be wonderful to be able to go the gym without having to leave the building! Are there any classes, or is it just free use of the equipment? Yes, I can see it would help to have a programme. But maybe just try it out a couple of times to "warm up". Five minutes on a rowing machine, for instance. I would definitely use a rowing machine if there was one in the building: I feel you get quite a lot of bang for your buck as it's mixing up cardio and strength and is a whole body exercise. If I was you I would go and have a look around and just do that one thing for now. Depending of course, on whether you can (I haven't tried rowing since my hip problem got worse, so don't know if it's possible now).

You have reminded me that I usually make soup in the winter. My freezer and fridge are a bit full at the moment, so probably not this weekend. I also have a few things to use up. I've bought a couple of these packets of readycooked flavoured lentils and grains and going to try those. They are expensive for what they are but might be good for a quick meal after work. I love that you enjoyed your pork and veg so much! Sometimes the simple meals are the best!
  • Snooozie
    Options
    I have to admit having a soup in the freezer to pull out on a cold winter night when i'm lazy is a godsend.. and i always forget how GOOD it tastes til im eating it lol.. weirdly tho .. i do heat it up on the stove rather than the micro.. i dont know why it just tastes better to me i think..

that's a good idea actually Vail.. i haven't been down there since before the pandemic so i dont even know what machines are in there anymore... last time i looked thru the window there was a cardio room with 2 treadmills.. and a bicycle i think? or there may have been a rowing machine too.. the other room is free weights and one of those universal thingies.. once upon a time i knew how to use them with the proper technique which is the MOST important thing i know.. if you are doing them wrong there is no benefit.. that's why i was thinking of getting a trainer for just a few sessions even to walk me thru what to do... but maybe i will go down and look and if i try, i can probably remember what i'm supposed to be doing on them..

i actually started using my little free weights i have at home a few days ago... i have a little set of only 3/5/8 lb ones.. i know the idea is to use heavier weights to fatigue quicker.. but right now im just starting with the 3lb one as im completely out of shape.. and its so cold here right now.. -17C and going down to -24C overnight that i can't walk outdoors.. but my sugars are still high, so i am walking the hallways after dinner for 20 min.. my doc suggested even a 20 min walk after eating can help .. today i mixed it up and started a few floors below... did a few laps up and down then took the stairs up to the next level.. repeat til 20 min had passed.. i DID manage to get to pickleball finally last week for one day... and i swear.. its the exercise thats the most important key to keeping the blood sugars down cause they were fine that night even without the walk.. my eating is pretty good but i havent exercised at all so i REALLY need to get back to pb 2-3 times a week and walking ANYWHERE.. indoor if i have to...

BUT.. had a wrench thrown in things yesterday when i discovered my condo had flooded.. well half of it.. the entire dining room and adjacent sunroom.. i would have had no idea if i hadnt walked into the dining room from the kitchen... im rarely in there but for whatever reason i went to get something.. stepped onto the carpet and sunk into water up to my ankles.. the carpet looked exactly the same color as usual until i stepped on it so i had no idea... but omg.... couldnt find the source of the water and then realized had spread into the sunroom as well... long story a little short.. laundry room next door is on the other side of my living room wall... and i guess they had a leak pretty much have been going all night due to the lake in my dining room.. i have wall to wall carpet in the entire unit and its very thick carpeting so it just kept soaking it up and soaking it up.. when they came in shortly after me calling the concierge and ripped up the carpet.. there was literally a lake under it.. so they had to suck all the water out then cut out the drywall all along that wall in both the dining room and sun room... and have set up 4 huge dryer humidifiers for 72 hrs .. needless to say i had to drag all i could into the living room while they were working so my place looks like an episode of the hoarders lol ... anyway... it is what it is.. it will get sorted eventually just a big pain in the butt.. but i have several friends with BIG probs going on ... and compared to what they are dealing with... mine is a nothing.. so big picture.. ya its a total pain.. .but its property damage and will be fixed one way or another.. so not going to stress out about it.. or not much anyway ..

on the plus side... i did use some muscles the past 24 hrs dragging everything around lol.. but i threw a frozen lasagna in last nite as i was NOT cooking in all this mess.. so i had that for dinner last nite.. and for breakfast, lunch and dinner again tonite ... not the best eating by far but i'll get back on track tomorrow.

and i didnt get my soup made either cause of the flood..... grrrrr LOL

• suzyqholland
    suzyqholland Posts: 1,352 Member
    Options
    Sorry I've been MIA for the past two weeks! It's been a bit hectic here between out of town guests, sick grandkids and volunteer duties. I've also been planning our trip to the UK so that's been a lot of computer work and my eyes are tired of looking at this screen. lol

Well, apparently my husband and I have joined a gym. He went to check it out last week and decided to sign us up since there was a special going on. It's actually less than we were paying for the YMCA a couple years ago. I'm planning to go on Tuesday for my first time. I'm like you, Snoozie; I think I know what to do but it would be so nice to have a trainer (who actually knows what they're doing) set up a routine for me. Since we're paying for the gym membership, I'm not going to spring for a trainer. I'm hoping to find some type of routine with instructions on the internet. I want a strength training routine. I'm hoping they have the stair climber that resembles an escalator. I used that type before and it really helped with building my stamina. You have actual stairs you can climb, which is great! Anyway....I keep thinking about the 80/20 rule. My biggest obstacle is getting my eating under control. I can't seem to make myself do it for any length of time.

So sorry to hear about your flood! What a pain. I hope it gets all dried out soon. Will you have to replace the carpet?

Thinking of a plan for the year....we're going to get back into our hiking routine so I need to start working on stamina as well as strength. I hate the idea of hiking with all this extra weight. It will not be good for my knees, that's for sure. So, I'm going to concentrate on portion control, cut out lunch (just have something small, like a piece of fruit or something), eat dinner early (by 5:00 preferably), do some type of exercise for at least 30 minutes a day (it could be stretching, walking, dancing, the gym). I just can't seem to make myself log my food anymore. I'll slowly try to get back to that....why is it such a pain in the butt? Ugh. It really does help when I do it but I've gotten out of the habit now.

We have a three day hike the beginning of April. We hike five miles into a lodge where they have rustic accommodations and meals. We'll stay two nights. The second day we're planning a strenuous hike that I think is about 10 miles round trip. Then we hike back out the next day. We have made our reservations for Hadrian's Wall in mid-May. It's a five night, four day hike with a total of 30 miles. It shouldn't be that bad if we're in shape. So I've got definite dates to work towards here.
  • Snooozie
    Options
    Suzy i did laugh when i saw "apparently my husband & I joined a gym' haha.. once you get going a bit.. i used to watch some of the others and if they looked like they knew what they were doing, i waited til they finished and just asked if they could help me with one thing - make sure my posture was correct for the move... and they would show me the correct way to do whatever and usually a tip or 2... never had anyone say no go away lol... so that might work for you down the road! fingers crossed they have the stairclimber you want!

I am THRILLED for your trip to the UK and for the hiking!! wowsaaaaaaaaa - and what a great motivator to get your stamina going, knowing what awesome times you will be having!! that's great.. seriously happy for you (and a teeny weeny bit jealous too lol )

Vail - i had to think of you - i peeked in the door window of the gym.. well tried to.. but they now have it papered over so you cant see in lol!! I MANAGED to see a little bit at the side so i know the free weights are there haha..

of course the flood here threw a wrench into things.. honest to god what a nightmare. But at least now the big dryers are gone as of today.. the constant roaring in my small condo was getting to me.. today the insurance adjustor came and took pics and measurements.. now i have to wait for insurance company to decide if they will try to steam clean the 2 rooms and replace the underpad etc.. or... according to him.. move me out for a week, they will pack up absolutely everything and move it out.. install the carpeting throught the entire condo not just what was damaged (i have wall to wall carpeting right now) and then bring all my stuff back... i don't even wanna think about that - and to be honest.. i would cringe at how much my premium would prolly jump if i did that claim!! but it will be a week or two before i find out which is fine.. i'll just leave everything where it is for now stuffed into the living room and bedroom .. but after 5 days of dealing with nothing but this and every muscle in my body screaming... there's nothing i can do now so i'm going to a lunch with our retiree group tomorrow and just forget about it.. and there WILL be wine!! haha

so as far as the eating thing.. so as you both know i am trying desperately to get my blood sugars back down to where they were when i got off the meds... they are still running too high, but not as high as they were.. but still.. not good enuf. so i have been experimenting with different things.. i have come to realize that its the smaller meals that are helping... i had gotten back into the habit (after i got sick and lost all the weight) of my dinner plate getting bigger and bigger portions.. instead of one chicken strip, i would have 2.. and instead of one potato.. 2... and then a lot of broccoli which i would use to "justify" the extra chicken and potato.. but no matter the food, its the portion size that sent my sugar high.. way too much food at one time.. so i had exactly the same meal a few nights later.. only i had ONE strip, one potato and a lot of broccolli.. and my numbers were great.. i've tried that with a few other meals.. only difference is the portion size and i'm def seeing a pattern of when i have a huge size meal .. it spikes ...

of course one of my big probs is that i don't eat .. and by the time i realize i am STARVING, i pile up the plate and scarf it down so fast i dont even when i've passed the "satiated" point.. i just stuff it all in..

so today i actually managed to have some shreddies and apple cinn cheerios for breakfast, and a 1/2 turkey and tomato sandwich for lunch... a few cashews mid afternoon and then a bowl of a beef and veggie soup i made with a few crackers. The adjuster guy tho didnt get here til almost 6 and was here an hour, so of course by the time he left i put WAY too much of the soup in a bowl and scarfed it all down... yeesh... but at least it was chock full of veggies and a little beef..

i am still doing the laps down the hallways and down the stairs to the next one in the building after dinner too .. itsgoing to -20C tonite so no chance in hell i am walking outside lol.. then i came home and did some of the weights.. just bicep and tricep curls but at least i did some... that's all i got in me tonite i guess everything from the past 5 days finallly caught up with me and im suddenly exhausted... but i was glad i forced myself to go after dinner when i really did not want to.. but i just kept saying to myself...do you want to stay off the meds?? then get your behind up woman...

i have to test 2 hrs after eating and with eating so late.. its' almost 9pm here now.. i want my tea dammit lol... but still have 10 min left to wait.. ha...

• Snooozie
    Options
    tmjkh27orybw.png
  • Snooozie
    Options
    Suzy.. there's a webcast (or whatever you call it) that i have been following for a while.. today in a freaky coincidence they have some weight training moves for beginners.. BUT.. also a section "for those who prefer to go to a gym for strength/resistance training:
    f you’d rather go to gym to do resistance training, here are a few helpful resources that explain what to do and how to get started, including a "weight training for beginners at the gym"

I'll be checking out THAT one as well but in case of any interest.. these are the 3 that are for the gym people:

How to Start a Resistance Training Routine
    Guide to Strength Training (With 33 Exercises)
    Weight Training for Beginners in the Gym

here's the link if you're interested; the gym ones are at the bottom so u have to scroll down..

https://myweightwhattoknow.com/blog/healthy-lifestyle/strength-training-an-essential-part-of-weight-management/?fbclid=IwAR15aI8j343ncZHHg1ceVLNMn0F54OcaEiHSb20F9i2R3N5n7cFNxWvCWnM
  • suzyqholland
    Options
    Thanks Snoozie, I’ll check it out. I was supposed to go to the gym yesterday and/or today but it’s so freakin cold that we didn’t even leave the house! There’s been unusually cold weather in the south. It’s supposed to warm up considerably next week. This southern girl doesn’t do freezing weather!!!
  • Vailara
    Options
    How's the gym going, Suzy? It has been really cold here too, but getting warmer for the last couple of days (although there are gales and floods now! Thankfully I'm not affected apart from my fence blowing down.

I hope you're managing to get things sorted with the insurance, Snoozie. Actually moving everything out and carpeting seems like quite a good option. It could be like a little holiday! It would be nice to be out of the way when all the work is going on and come back to a clean home with new carpet!

Well done on the weights! And the eating. I am with you on how the portions just creep up without you noticing. It doesn't sound like you were having a huge amount even at the bigger portions! But I suppose it's the effect on your blood sugar that's important.

• suzyqholland
    Options
    I’m embarrassed to admit that I haven’t been to the gym yet. I can’t seem to make myself go. I have meetings for my Woman’s Club but I’ve had plenty of opportunity to go to the gym and I just don’t do it. I tell myself that I’m going to go tomorrow but then I don’t. Part of the issue is that I’ve been somewhat sick ever since October. It’s just been this constant congestion and some days are better than others. I’ve got a doctor appointment this afternoon but I’m not optimistic that they can help. I’ve talked to a lot of people who have the same thing.

Anyway…I’m going to force myself to set up a routine that includes the gym starting next week. That’s the plan and I’ve GOT to stick with it.

How’s the carpet situation, Snoozie? Having that type of chaos makes it hard to stick to a cooking and exercise routine but I’m sure you can do it. Hopefully it’s all sorted out now.

Vail, have you gotten your strength back? I seem to remember you having some lingering energy issues after Covid?

I think we all just need a nice warm beach to relax on for about a week!
  • Snooozie
    Options
    I'm in the for the beach Suzy.... sign me up!!

Am still living in chaos;.. no word from contractors on when they will repair the walls and paint and the insurance company sent the adjustor over a week ago and still no word on what my options are for the flooring.. i built my own "wall" between me and the neighbour as they had to cut out the drywall between us and remove the insulation... so there is only a thin 1/4" of the drywall on their side between us .. so i stacked boxes and old pillows and a suitcase and a big box my microwave came in up against that wall and then laid blankets all along it .. its just kinda creepy as the sound now carries of course but its just knowing there is only a thin little piece of drywall between us that makes me hinky..

i manged to find places in the living room to put all the stuff i had to remove from the china cabinet and armoire and hutch and bookcases and desk blah blah blah.. but i can't move the big stuff like that even now that its empty... they aren't in the way for the wall repairs but will have to be moved out whatever happens with the flooring... so ... i am in a holding pattern.. it's funny looking tho.. another bookcase at the end of my living room now holds all the china and everything else is piled onto end tables little nesting tables that sort of thing.. i have a case of wine in the bedroom cause i ran out of room anywhere else.... at least it will be handy if i decide to have a drink at 2am some night hahaha.

i can relate on the gym suzy... these crazy cold temps are keeping me from even doing my walks, but there is no reason i couldnt go down and use the treadmill, but do i? no.. should I? yes.

still doing events for my retiree group... they want another trivia/social afternoon so i booked the room at the community centre but now i have to get cracking on 60 trivia questions and six fun categories... i don't know what i was thinking LOL... oh well..

Suzy.. i hope you get an answer from the doc.. maybe a sinus infection if it just wont go away?? fingers crossed for you

Vail have you got any more trips coming up after your last awesome adventure..
  • suzyqholland
    Options
    Oh Snoozie! That sounds awful. I’m so sorry you’re going through this right now. Didn’t you have something similar a few years ago? But, hey…wine in the bedroom for a 2:00 am “sleep aid” sounds right up my alley. lol.

Speaking of trivia, I sent out an invitation to the whole Woman’s Club for dinner and trivia at a local restaurant. Out of 48 women only 12 showed up but we had a great time! We also learned that trivia is not our fortè! We’ll probably do it again though.

The doctor gave me a steroid shot in the bum and a steroid pack of pills along with a decongestant nasal spray. If it’s not cleared up in a week then I may go to an ENT (ear, nose and throat) doctor. I really hope it clears up. She also recommended an air purifier for my bedroom and to keep it dusted and vacuumed, just in case it’s allergy driven.
  • suzyqholland
    Options
    How’s everything going? What are you two up to? We’ve all been very quiet so far this year.

I made myself go to a yoga class at the gym. I’ve got a training session scheduled for Friday. I’m going to try and go another day this week and work on the elliptical and stair climber.

I read an article about trying to eat until you’re about 80% full. I’ve been doing that lately…just stopping eating before I’m full. It’s been helping with portion control. When they took all my baseline measurements at the gym they said that my muscle mass was really good and a bit higher than expected for my age/weight. I think Vail has mentioned this before but they said they don’t like to use bmi because it’s not a very accurate representation. Anyway…taking baby steps but I need to increase that pretty quickly.

I hope you’re both doing well!
  • Vailara
    Options
    That's really good news about your muscle mass! Well done on getting to the yoga class, and going again on Friday. That sounds like more than baby steps! And organising the trivia event too! You are both so good at the social stuff ... I really need to do more of that.

That's an interesting idea about stopping eating when your 80% full. I remember reading something like that years ago and I'd forgotten it.

My eating has been bad recently. I've been in the office a lot and I just can't seem to resist food when I'm there, and it's usually really bad food (chocolate, cake, etc.). I think I need to go back to basics, to when I lost weight a year ago. I had small, simple, easy, healthy meals and then didn't eat outside of mealtimes.

I've been kind of busy, kind of worried about my dad, and some other things. However, I have some exciting news: I'm expecting a grandchild! So I need to keep fit and healthy so that I can help out. I'm hoping that adds to my motivation!