Setting your goal weight

Options
mightybunky
mightybunky Posts: 90 Member
One for the not-that-heavy girls - how do you pick a goal weight within the healthy BMI range? I was fit and healthy at a BMI of 21. Now I'm 25 pounds heavier, BMI over 24, and it is obvious this is not a healthy weight *for me*, I have a double chin and my stomach wobbles when I run. But is it sensible or realistic to aim for where I was a decade or more ago? How do others set their goals?

Replies

• Corina1143
    Corina1143 Posts: 2,921 Member
    Options
    I wish I knew. I weighed 160 in early adulthood. I was happy with that weight. Felt good. Looked better at 150 but didn't feel as good.
    Now 2" shorter, lots of years older. Should I aim for 160--where I was happy before? Or maybe 10 pounds less, since I'm 2" shorter. The calculators suggest 140 is my ideal weight. I can't imagine that.
    This morning I weighed 172. I'm pretty sure that at 160 I'll still have lots of room for improvement.
    First goal. To really "fit" in a size 10.
  • Kitri2020
    Kitri2020 Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    Yeah i also have a hard time figuring out what my goal weight should be. I think different weights can look different on certain body types or goals. Like i dont want to just be “skinny” i want to keep my built legs too so thinking about how muscle weight fits into your goal weight adds some complexity. Its also hard to know if your diet or some other factor is making you retain water weight. Theres so many things. For me, im trying to get to my prepregnancy weight and then after that i will be focusing on the look of my muscles rather than weight loss.
  • mightybunky
    Options
    Thank you both for replying! @Corina1143 what calculator do you use? I guess it is all ultimately about finding what works for you rather than be hung up on a number: I'll be able to see when I lose the wobbly bits, know when my clothes fit better, but I also feel I need a number to shoot for somehow.
  • Corina1143
    Corina1143 Posts: 2,921 Member
    Options
    Calculator.net has one.
  • mightybunky
    Options
    Corina1143 wrote: »
    Calculator.net has one.

Thank you! That suggests 67.5-70.5kg for me, so around 150lb, which is definitely where I'd like to be, so I'll stick with that for now. Good luck with your weight loss and fitting into that size 10, and @Kitri2020 hope you enjoy finding those muscles, it's so much easier to work out when you're carrying fewer pounds isn't it!