WeightNoMore Team Chat - APRIL 2024

Options
jugar
jugar Posts: 10,082 Member
edited April 28 in Social Groups
aigug01xj22z.png
Here is your Team chat room for April 2024. This is where you weigh in, post your goals and progress, discuss any issues or topics of interest, share ideas, support your teammates, receive help when you need it, and dream big. Try to post often, and help each other succeed! Bookmark this thread to make it easy to land here any time.

Fat2Fit has five great teams. The group and team leaders are as follows - contact them any time!

Our Moderators:
Liselyn - @jugar
Megan - @Megan_smartiepants1970
Ashley - @minstrelofsarcasm
Jessica - @jessicakrall8

Our Team Captains:
Downsizers - @Megan_smartiepants1970 and open
Mission Slimpossible - @Katmary71 and @trooworld
Weight No More - @minstrelofsarcasm and @melaniedscott
WaistAways - @jugar and @ashleycarole86
Shape Shifters - @jessicakrall8 and @Pupowl

Our Team Motivators:
Downsizers - @Slimmersixties & @NachDeezy
Mission Slimpossibles - open
Weight No More - @rachelrjh and @BodyTalking
WaistAways - @MaddawgMadsen
Shape Shifters - @LaurieWrobo and @Cyncia85

HOW IT ALL WORKS: The April challenge runs for four weeks, from March 31 - April 27.

Everyone weighs in weekly on their chosen day right here in the team chat. At the end of each week, the tallies are done to determine the team and individuals with the most weight lost. The best losers are announced with full fanfare every Sunday. The team competition is all in good spirits - may the most losing win, and may everyone else get to work on next week!

We also celebrate those small, steady losses. If you lose, however small an amount, you are in the green! At the end of the month, we celebrate everyone who lost at least a bit every single week. You are heading steadily towards your goal even if you aren't at the top of the weight loss leaderboard. In March we are aiming for every team to hit 50% green every week - let's do this!

To make your weigh-in easy to find for your team Captains, please put it right at the top of a message, and use this format:
Weigh In Day:
PW (Previous Weight):
CW (Current Weight):

If you miss two weigh-ins in a row without asking for a break, you will be dropped from the team, so be sure to inform your team captain if you are traveling, sick, or just need some time off. If you want a break, you can be excused for a week or two, or can be moved to the Support Team for as long as you need. You still participate in the discussions, you can weigh in if you want to, but it will not count in the weekly tally. Don't worry! You can always come back even if you get dropped.

Once you reach your goal weight, you join the Goal Zone. You continue to weigh in every week. If you have 2 weeks above your self-defined goal zone, you go back to the regular team to lose that amount before it builds up. You will have a chance to hone those maintenance skills and stick with your team.

In addition to your own team, there are weekly F2F Full Group CHALLENGES. You can do all or none - it's up to you. Participating adds a lot to your success, so we hope to see you there often! These can involve anything fitness, health, or nutrition - and they’ll get you moving, thinking, and learning about this journey. Check the Announcements section for full group challenges.

Let’s show our fellow challengers some F2F love :heart: Introduce or re-introduce yourselves right away, and let's get April rolling!

Replies

• jessicakrall8
    jessicakrall8 Posts: 5,081 Member
    Options
    The April Week 1 Group Challenge is open and ready to begin on Sunday, Mar 31st, so please join us for the Spring into Focus Challenge for a week of changing focuses which surround your health journey! Here's your link:

https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10912670/april-week-1-group-challenge-spring-into-focus-challenge#latest

Hope to see you in the chat thread!
    Jessica
  • chocohollic
    chocohollic Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    Good morning from Devon UK!
    Here I am with my first weigh in!
    Weigh In Day: Sunday
    PW (Previous Weight): 154
    CW (Current Weight):149
    I’ve had a great first week, been really motivated at the thought of an accountable weigh in, which is what motivates me!

My previous weight may not have been totally accurate as I’m not convinced the scales I was using were calibrated. I’m more certain of my weight this week! Hopefully with this being the first week, you’ll not need to take into account my previous week reading? Otherwise I feel like I’m cheating 😵‍💫.

Anyway, great to be here doing this.
    Diet and exercise always go hand in hand for me and I’m back to the gym this week for about a month - first time yesterday and really enjoyed that too!

Hopefully see some more weigh ins on here soon - good luck everyone! 👍😊
  • CassieGetsFit2013
    CassieGetsFit2013 Posts: 573 Member
    Options
    PW (Previous Weight): 230.6
    CW (Current Weight): 234.0

Ugh! Idk if this is accurate or how it could be...I know I didn't use the diary at all, so that is a big no no, I need to get back to using it!! And this makes me want to give up! I was really hoping I would see another 2, not a higher 3! 😭 Happy Easter guys.
  • minstrelofsarcasm
    minstrelofsarcasm Posts: 2,234 Member
    Options
    n1bx52w74edw.png
    vwiei0f63plj.png
    9q518hwsaezk.png

Team Results
    By Percentage
    1b8hj0ahwpsk.png

By Pounds
    fh7xzmqw2ug7.png

Individual Results
    By Percentage
    3falc921ipdl.png

By Pounds
    abhjk4mkxbgb.png
    zt1dlwnb8myu.png

Team Winners
    xausket6sefn.png

Percentage of Members in the Green!
    i7fkljrxdp63.png
  • minstrelofsarcasm
    Options
    n1bx52w74edw.png
    2rk7h76bdsag.png
    k7cedeoum9kz.png
    (100 lbs, holy cow!)

ydjvcr7b37by.png

Team Results
    By Percentage
    641i09qublad.png

By Pounds
    4423g2rg9onj.png

Individual Results
    By Percentage
    xbdsrard9un1.png

By Pounds
    73bo2su7p7en.png
    6htj024i72em.png

Team Winners
    okmdb2r000ep.png

Percentage of Members in the Green!
    8856do4ia4ge.png
    • Congrats to Downsizers for having the highest percentage of members in the green this month!
    • Congrats to Downsizers and Weight No More for having at least half of their members in the green on average throughout the month!
    • Congrats to Downsizers and WaistAways for having over 60% of their members in the green for at least one week!
    • Congrats to Shape Shifters for being the only team to finish the month stronger than they started!
  • minstrelofsarcasm
    Options
    Hey WeightNoMores! Welcome to ... April! I'm excited to see where the month will take us!

Anyway, I'm Ashley, I'll be one of your two co-captains here to guide you through the month (and even longer, if you'll stick around with us).

While most of this information has been copied and pasted, I have updated some of my information to be more current and accurate. And if there are any questions, any at all, please do not hesitate to ask. I'm more than willing to talk about my struggles, my digestive tract, my sleep schedule, how there are very few healthy date foods and I don't want to look like that person around my boyfriend, how lifting heavy saves me from potentially beating up my coworkers, stress baking, stress eating... you get the idea.

There's a lot of content here, and it's spoilered, so it doesn't make a long post even longer. You get to pick and choose what you read.
    ~ THE BASICS ~
    Name: Ashley
    Pronouns: she/her
    Occupation: Chemical Engineer and Certified Personal Trainer (since November 2023!)
    Height: 5'7"
    Highest Weight: 234lbs
    Current Weight: 183lbs
    Lowest Weight: 6lb 10oz (August 28th, 1995)
    Lowest Non-Infant Weight: 155lbs (although there were some heavy ED vibes, so I wouldn't romanticize that time of my life too much)
    Medical Diagnosis: Multiple Sclerosis
    ~ MY HEALTH STORY ~
    I grew up in a Clean Plates Club™ household, with the idea that food could stuff down any emotion and mask any discomfort. This led to being bullied as a child, expecting people to be mean to me in middle and high school (and then being mean to people first so they didn't have the chance), having an identity crisis in college, and being scared (ahem) poopless after a doctor told me I was on the edge of being pre-diabetic.

I used this fear to catapult me into fitness, starting with indoor cycling classes. I expanded into trying out OrangeTheory, Barry's Bootcamp, F45, and numerous smaller boutique fitness studios. Eventually, I landed on a nice gym that offers group fitness but also allows you to use their equipment for your own personal use. That, combined with having a personal training session once a week, and dropping into group fitness studios from time to time, has led me to have a balanced fitness routine.

In the middle of me getting my (ahem) stuff together, November 2019, I had my first major Multiple Sclerosis relapse and could not feel half of my body. At the time, I had no diagnosis and did not know what was going on outside of the sensation of pins and needles on my left side. After playing a rousing game of Musical Neurologists™, I found a doctor who did not believe my condition to be severe anxiety. He ordered an MRI and a spinal tap, and I was on my way. 14 vials of blood, 2 MRIs, and one spinal tap later, I had a diagnosis. My symptoms are mostly manageable, and my active lifestyle along with reasonably healthy eating has allowed me to continue on with my life without much interruption. My next MRI is in a week, and I hope it shows no further deterioration, as there is currently no cure for MS.

And now? Now I'm focused on building muscle, maintaining my cardiovascular health, and holding back the icky side effects of the autoimmune disorder. Losing weight would be fantastic, but it's not my focus anymore. I've also become a certified personal trainer, with the intent to make fitness more accessible for those with chronic illness. Oh boy, do I have some new fun facts bouncing around in my brain.

The plan for this month is to find somewhere to take my personal training certification. My original lead did not pan out, for a myriad of reasons, so I am back to the drawing board.
    ~ FUN NUMBERS ~
    Number of Spin Classes Attended: 1180
    Deadlift Personal Best: 180 lbs
    Squat Personal Best: 160 lbs
    Fastest Mile Run: 6m 11s
    Percent Body Fat: 27%
    Times "Started Over": Too High to Count
    ~ THINGS TO KNOW ~
    • I am a moderator for F2F, so if something doesn't look right, you can let me know and I'll take care of it.
    • As a chemical engineer and certified personal trainer, I am VERY familiar with a lot of the chemicals we put into our bodies, and numbers are my friends. I also do research for a living. You want facts? I'm your girl. I am always (ALWAYS) happy to explain the science behind something.
    • I used to have a blog on MFP before they removed the blog feature. I didn't save everything I ever wrote, but you can find some of it here: LINK
    • I am an open book. You want to know about life with MS? Just ask. You want to know when my last bowel movement was? Just ask. You want my maple donut cookie recipe? Just ask. There is not a single topic I am unwilling to chat about - all it takes is asking the right questions.
    ~ CURRENT STRUGGLES ~
    My weight has been slowly increasing over the past year. And even though I know there's been quite a bit of muscle growth, and plenty of sources of water retention, it's getting to me.

In an attempt to quell my anxieties, I ordered a new scale.

I know what you're thinking. Obsessing over my weight even more will not help.

But that's not why I ordered a new scale. This new scale has a couple built in features I'm excited to try out, tracking a dozen more metrics than a standard scale, including BMI, body fat percentages, muscle mass, etc. I am hoping (HOPING) that these new numbers will help me re-center myself and trust that this slow process is working for me, that my plan to build muscle to increase my basal metabolic rate (BMR) while losing fat from a slight caloric deficit has been benefitting me.

Because sure, my BMI claims I'm overweight. It's been decades since I haven't been overweight. But I know I'm more muscular than I've ever been at 180lbs, and I've been here several times before. And I know I can do far more than I ever could previously.

So, it's going to be okay. But my brain needs a few more numbers, just a little more data, before it believes that.

UPDATE - OCTOBER: The new scale was incredibly helpful. Here's what I posted soon after testing it out:
    ~ New NSV!!! ~

I mentioned in my long rambling post about myself that I ordered a new scale to better track the numbers in a way that matters, and oh boy was that a smart idea. I have the results of the InBody scan I did way back in May last year, when I was actively participating in a challenge at my gym at the time, F45. And while there are some things to be wary of when comparing two different methods of obtaining these numbers, I am still ridiculously proud of how far I've come.

Let's take a look...

May 9th, 2022

Weight - 177.1 lbs
    BMI - 27.7 kg/m2
    Skeletal Muscle Mass - 74.3 lbs

September 8th, 2023

Weight - 179.4 lbs
    BMI - 28.2 kg/m2
    Skeletal Muscle Mass - 88.2 lbs

But what does this mean?

So here's the thing. My weight went up. For a lot of people, this is a huge no-no. And because my weight went up, so did my BMI, because BMI is based solely on weight and height, not levels of health. I wrote a blog post back in the days when MFP still had the blog feature (I was smart and made a copy of this blog, so if you want to read it, you can click here).

But let me draw your attention to what I'm actually proud of: Skeletal Muscle Mass. According to what my special scale told me this morning, I've gained almost 14 whole pounds of muscle over the past 16 months. And if I gained 14 pounds of muscle, but only 2 pounds of weight, that also means I've lost approximately 12 pounds of fat, give or take a pound or two to account for hydration levels and how much heavier my hair may have gotten.

All of this is to say that the number on the scale isn't the whole picture. I can already see a couple issues I have with the measurements my new scale has taken, because there's way too many variables that could affect the values they're giving me, but it's a lovely way to compare my values one day to my values on another, and that's a better picture than a standard weight-only scale could ever provide.

UPDATE - November: I still have a couple issues with the numbers I've been seeing, but the slight shifts from day to day have aligned reasonably well with my eating/exercise habits, so I can't complain too much.

UPDATE - December: I've been out of control with my eating recently, but I think I've discovered several of my triggers to overeat, and I have a plan to regain control. It's just a matter of doing the damn thing.

UPDATE - February: My weight has mostly stabilized, so now I'm focusing on the little details and paying attention to their impact on my weight, essentially treating my body like a science experiment. Stay tuned.
  • daria0919
    daria0919 Posts: 668 Member
    Options
    gjord11mwca5.jpeg
    zr4inv0hw4qi.jpeg
  • Littlefrenchplum
    Littlefrenchplum Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Congrats to the March group!

Is it cool if I change my weigh in day to a Sunday from a Friday?

PW (Previous Weight): 195.9
    CW (Current Weight):193.5

Currently at the parent in laws for Easter but will be straight back on it come Tuesday. I’m not telling this side of the family I’m trying to lose weight so saying no to all the food offerings is hard without all the questions!
  • minstrelofsarcasm
    Options
    Is it cool if I change my weigh in day to a Sunday from a Friday?

@Littlefrenchplum - Not a problem, I'll change that for you!
  • minstrelofsarcasm
    Options
    My previous weight may not have been totally accurate as I’m not convinced the scales I was using were calibrated. I’m more certain of my weight this week! Hopefully with this being the first week, you’ll not need to take into account my previous week reading? Otherwise I feel like I’m cheating 😵‍💫.

@chocoholic - The previous week reading is your starting weight for the month, so it does still count. Do you want me to adjust the number to something else, since you don't trust the scale? Or would you rather just stick with this as it is? Weight fluctuates, so a large whoosh isn't entirely unreasonable.

Ugh! Idk if this is accurate or how it could be...I know I didn't use the diary at all, so that is a big no no, I need to get back to using it!! And this makes me want to give up! I was really hoping I would see another 2, not a higher 3! 😭 Happy Easter guys.

@CassieGetsFit2013 - It's likely that a lot of the weight you gained is water, either from stress or salt or sugar or a bunch of other possibilities. Don't let the slight gain push you into giving up! You've lost this weight before, and you can do it again, just need to take it one decision at a time. What is something you're going to change to make this week a better one?
  • sydditt
    sydditt Posts: 502 Member
    Options
    vmi4l43ubov8.jpeg
  • chocohollic
    chocohollic Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    @minstrelofsarcasm could you adjust my previous weight to say 152. - that way my loss this week would be 3. I think that’s far more reasonable with knowing what happens when I normally start. Thank you!
  • BodyTalking
    BodyTalking Posts: 1,921 Member
    Options
    Welcome @chocoholic 👋🙂
  • BodyTalking
    edited April 1
    Options
    I've been a bit quite over the past couple of weeks - time flies and, whoosh, it's April!!

I'm Mairi, aka Body talking. I live in Prague, Czech Republic, but come from Glasgow, Scotland. I'm married without children. I teach ESL (English as a second language), have a working background in design, craft and retail. When I can, I like to go to a coastal destination in winter and, beach permitting, collect sea glass.

Weight wise, I seem to be stuck around the 80 kilo mark but believe I can head downwards again 🤞

I'm working on increasing my daily steps, adding more exercise routines to tone the flab and build strength, improving my eating habits and increasing nutrition while doing so, drinking plenty of water and calming my mind and body for an overall better me.

▫️🦉▫️🦥▫️🐖▫️

I'm a night owl and a bit of a sloth, with piggish tendencies, but imagine I can become more of morning lark and an elegant flamingo, with peacockish tendencies.

▫️🐦▫️🦩▫️🦚▫️
  • mightybunky
    mightybunky Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    Weigh In Day: Monday 1 April
    PW: 160.6
    CW: 160.1

WEIGHT LOST: 0.5 lb

Starting to stall a bit. Using the bank holiday to meal plan and prep to hopefully start the new month strong.
  • BodyTalking
    edited April 1
    Options
    Since it's April, I thought I'd see how many steps I had done so far.

Jan-Mar total: 622,286
    (last year 705,912)

I have 83,626 fewer steps than last year. In order to 'Do Better in 2024', I'll need to step-it-up!

That cough in January really set me back.

My average step count for April 2023 was 7302 per day, so I aim to do more than that. 10,090 per day would see me level up with last year....but I know that will be a big ask....let's see.
  • minstrelofsarcasm
    Options
    @minstrelofsarcasm could you adjust my previous weight to say 152. - that way my loss this week would be 3. I think that’s far more reasonable with knowing what happens when I normally start. Thank you!

@chocoholic - You got it, that sounds more reasonable to me too. And it'll still be good momentum for you, just more realistic.

Official Weight No More Business:

Melanie needed a bit more time off than originally thought, so I'm going to be posting the Step Results from two weeks ago later today, and will be covering the Step Results post for last week on Thursday (probably).

I am still weighting (ha) for weigh-ins this week from the following:

Also! I'd love to get a status report on the folks from our support team, if you've got the bandwidth to provide one:
  • Marcy2890
    Marcy2890 Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    Am I able to skip this week? My scale broke and I'm hoping to get a new one this week.
  • minstrelofsarcasm
    Options
    Marcy2890 wrote: »
    Am I able to skip this week? My scale broke and I'm hoping to get a new one this week.

@Marcy2890 - Not a problem, what happened to your scale??? You didn't take a baseball bat to it, right?
  • andja87
    andja87 Posts: 143 Member
    Options
    tro7arjn1a97.jpeg
This discussion has been closed.