Chris experimenting with CBL & Cube

Options
chrisdavey
chrisdavey Posts: 9,834 Member
So my actual cut will technically start tomorrow but I thought I should include this post. BTW I was dexa'd at 85kg at 10.9% 3 weeks ago and will get another one at the end of the cut. Not exactly sure when that will be (probably longer than 8 weeks I'd say)

Friday, weighed in at 79.95kg and comfortably under the 82.5kg mark. Then came the feasting, see below. 7000ish cals that day.

Saturday:
Squats: warming up in a rack with no safety bars and no spotter and it got to me mentally I think and I had a wobble with 180 on my back, luckily a guy saw me and came to the rescue! Very unnerving as my opener was going to be 190. Changed that to 180. I had Bec (world record holder in female 100kg class) wrapping and she is bloody awesome. 180 was easy as, next up 195, also easy and third I got 205 and it was also not that hard. There was 3 people in the 82.5kg class but it was mainly between me and my friend Liam. Liam made 200kg and then stumbled on 207.5kg so I was 5kg in front at this stage.

Bench: 95kg opener was a little bit difficult for some reason. 100kg just couldn't be locked out, had no umph? Liam made 115kg in the bench so was up by 15kg.

Deadlift: hips felt pretty good and warm ups for bloody awesome. Speed DL'ed 220kg on last warmup like it was 120. Opened on 230kg and it was pretty easy. Next up 240kg and the *kitten* just wouldn't budge off the floor. (If I break the floor I typically make it). Liam made is 225kg and I needed my third attempt to tie in total and get the win on gloss but it was not to be. I put in all my effort but my setup wasn't as tight as normal it seems and upon looking at a photo of me my stance looked slightly narrower than normal. Don't know how this could happen as I line up with the rings every time?

So I came 2nd in the 82.5kg class with a total of 530kg which is 5kg down on Nats. I was very happy with the squat PB and think I still have more in me.

In hindsight, I think that I may have peaked 3 weeks early for this comp as I was pulling and pressing better then. I don't think the weight cut took it out of me much but next time I will be much closer to 82.5kg. I only lost more as I was in the sauna with Kee.

Plan from here is: 2 weeks rest and just do whatever, but nothing too crazy. Lots of yoga I think. I will also be experimenting with CBL and running CUBE program so the prep phase for CBL starts tomorrow. Thinking I'll run cube with a deload week every 4th week and will be testing maxes again on NYE. I don't think I'll do any more PL comps this year. My goals for this year were 200kg squat, 110kg bench, 250kg DL and 550kg total. All seem obtainable except the bench. On that note, I got even more technique tips yesterday but it seems like I'm chasing my tail. I am going to book in for a technique session with Scott at PTC. I know the theory behind a good bench setup but I need someone else to check to see what I am doing wrong. I am positive it's not just a strength issue.

pre weigh in
20130906_084925.jpg

Post comp went for a massive banquet at the Turkish restaurant near there with PTC people. Scott the smart *kitten* got me called up on stage with the belly dancer. I had to copy her moves but I think I showed her a thing or 2 haha Great fun!

Sunday:
chill out day, went to beach for swim and played frisbee and then had a bbq at my sister's place. Good day!

EATS

turkey sub and raspberry cookie
20130906_100833.jpg

gyoza
20130906_130351.jpg

chicken teriyaki udon
20130906_130534.jpg

choc top at the movies (you have to!)
20130906_135057.jpg

nutella pastries
20130906_160221.jpg

creamed rice with banana, strawberrys, twirl, B&J clusterfluff & nutella
20130906_203644.jpg

nutella fairy bread
20130906_165207.jpg

Replies

• Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options
    IN...although why I am 'in' with that food above me, lawdy only knows!
  • Sarauk2sf
    Options
    Oh, and nutella fetish much? :tongue:
  • astrovivi
    astrovivi Posts: 183 Member
    Options
    IN ... and nutella fairy bread

100% WIN.
  • chrisdavey
    Options
    Oh, and nutella fetish much? :tongue:

hehe. I don't get it often so when I do I make sure I consume in large quantities.

BTW focus for the next 3 months is really going to be on chest hypertrophy and bench press technique. I KNOW that my chest is letting me down massively but I also know my technique is not quite right for my levers. An average bench press in 82.5kg class is about 120kg and if I can bring up my weak area and still make consistent progress on the Sq and DL I'll be looking at a 600kg total relatively easily.

I think I had the second worst bench press out of all the males at the comp yesterday. It is my hoodoo lift.
  • SideSteel
    SideSteel Posts: 11,068 Member
    Options
    In.
  • chrisdavey
    Options
    glad to have you on board SS :smile:

BW 87.1kg (carb'd up

Ran my first early morning bootcamp this morning. Good fun and all went well. I did end up joining in on a few things like KB swings and pushups and stuff. Good way to wake up.

Then did an am chest session
    Capture.JPG
    First time putting any weight on bb incline bench and shoulders didn't mind it at all. Happy with dips too, YAY! Do not like db pullovers.

last 3 exercises on there were part of HIIT with Kee in the arvo. 1min work, 30 secs rest. 3 rounds of heavy bag, ab wheel rollouts, close grip bench, hammer curls and kb swings.

then had a day time snooze :)

Bit of cleaning up around the house and then back to my gym where I did some HIIT type stuff with Kee.

Realised doing the HIIT stuff that I did just under 120 swings of 32kg in 3mins. The 32kg 6min challenge I did a while back I only got 143, I think I may have to try it again sometime. Clearly stronger but the challenge will be going for 6mins!

Also, despite my plans of zero strength training for 2 weeks (who was I kidding) I've changed that to nothing that aggravates hips so no squats or sumo deads. Also, Kee wanted to go in Tuff Nutz DL comp on Sunday so I figured since she is going in that I will as well just for fun. Will pull conventional so have no idea really. Opening on 215.

EATS

pork ribs, pumpkin and mushrooms with chilli beans
    20130908_193038.jpg

veg omelette
    20130909_093809.jpg

slow cooked beef cheeks (Farkin delicious!)
    20130909_194506.jpg

Cals 2147
    208P/101C/100F
  • chrisdavey
    Options
    10/9/13
    BW 86.2kg

Official start of CBL experiment. Not doing prep phase for 10 days as I'm 99.99% sure I'm as insulin sensitive as I'm going to be. Not exactly a CKD noob.

Calipers
    chest 5mm
    abs 14mm
    thigh 6mm

Measurements
    Chest 100.3cm
    waist 82.5cm
    Hips 101cm (big *kitten* :p)
    bicep L33.5/38 R31.5/36
    forearm 30.5
    thigh L59.8 R61
    Calves L38 R40
    Neck 39.5

BF% per US marines 14.08% (probably a bit high but good measure of progress)

Pics

front relax
    20130910_071122.jpg

side
    20130910_071128.jpg

back relax
    20130910_071134.jpg

front DB
    20130910_071143.jpg

rear DB
    20130910_071152.jpg

Cube method to start when I've been given the ok from doctor re hip. Will only be pulling sumo on max days and only wrapping squats on max days.
  • SideSteel
    Options
    FFS your shoulders look massive.
  • chrisdavey
    Options
    FFS your shoulders look massive.

Thanks mate :smile: And still have a very average SOHP. Oh well, keep training hard!
  • Sarauk2sf
    Options
    Phew....you shaved :tongue:
  • Sarauk2sf
    Options
    Why different left/right on hammer curls out of interest?

Oh...and big *kitten*? Come at me bro!
  • chrisdavey
    Options
    My *kitten* is bigger than my chest!

I have strength imbalances because of right shoulder injury. So I could do 12 on left but only 8 on right. So I add an extra set on the right to make sure that the right gets at least the same stimulus.

Yeah beard of strength didn't work at last comp haha
  • Sarauk2sf
    Options
    My *kitten* is bigger than my chest!

So is mine!
    I have strength imbalances because of right shoulder injury. So I could do 12 on left but only 8 on right. So I add an extra set on the right to make sure that the right gets at least the same stimulus.

Yeah beard of strength didn't work at last comp haha

Thanks - makes sense.
  • chrisdavey
    Options
    I'm working on increasing the chest and I don't really care about booty size haha. Except for buying boardies and jeans.

11 September 2013
    BW 85.3kg

Capture.JPG

Took a bootcamp class this morning and ended up doing a bit of it. Some jogging, burpees, squats, KB's & rows basically. Upper body session split in 2. PB on incline and feeling good. Dips felt funny today so didn't do them. Cable X over is money for chest activation! First time trying the 3 board and taking a bit of getting used to. Second session today took it out of me so just up to 95% (or maybe 100%?) for a couple. Actually started to get some decent leg drive by the last one.

Was going to do more back work but left trap seemed to be a bit tight after the snatch grip deads.

Also, used the pro calipers at work

Chest 4.8mm
    Abs 12mm
    Thigh 5mm

EATS

vanilla/maple cauliflower bread with PB
    20130910_200118.jpg

mexican baked chicken and veggies
    20130911_125350.jpg

Cals 2710
    283P/105C/123F
  • chrisdavey
    Options
    13 September 2013
    BW 84.1kg

Capture.JPG
    Mainly upper body sesh with some core stuff. First time, I've used a 45deg leg press too. Didn't like incline db, going back to bb.

Also, helped out a guy testing his maxes on the big 3 at work. Finally someone without ****arounditis :p

Then a big night as Kee was having a girls night for all her fit girl friends. I was the shirtless waiter haha. But then ended up having a few, dancing up a storm til early hours. Good fun :) Jelly shots made with SF jelly has to be a first :p

EATS

japanese chicken curry
    20130914_122442.jpg

shredded chicken mexican salsa
    20130912_125920.jpg

roo roast, pumpkin and peanut oil baked asparagus
    20130912_203212.jpg

Cals lots
  • chrisdavey
    Options
    Ok, after lots of thinking I have decided against running cube program. It appears that it is designed more for geared lifters with a lot of variety in the lifts (like Westside). I then had the options of 5/3/1, sheiko or linear progression PTC style. After lots of thinking, I found sheiko 39 that has higher %'s and appears to be more targetted at bench (squats and deads appear very similar to 37). I will use my wrapped squat max but squat without wraps. Will add an extra day to do additional chest, upper back hypertrophy work.
    Also, going in a novice deadlift comp tomorrow. Pulling conventional just for fun :)
  • chrisdavey
    Options
    I won the novice deadlift comp today. PB for conventional of 235kg with average form IMO. Missed 245kg on 4th attempt as shoulders too far forward.

Kee won the female class with 130kg at 66kg also.

nacho%2520libre%2520DL.jpg

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VjTQnjD-Zjg and http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8wmQLUqp6QI
  • Sarauk2sf
    Options
    Well done...and lol at the costume
  • SideSteel
    Options
    I won the novice deadlift comp today. PB for conventional of 235kg with average form IMO. Missed 245kg on 4th attempt as shoulders too far forward.

Kee won the female class with 130kg at 66kg also.

nacho%2520libre%2520DL.jpg

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VjTQnjD-Zjg and http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8wmQLUqp6QI

You compete with conventional AND sumo??

EDIT : ALSO ID EAT THE FK OUT OF THAT CURRY OMG HNNNNGGGGGG
  • chrisdavey
    Options
    Thanks Sara :)

First time competing conventional in over a year! I've never pulled more than 220 conventional before. After this comp though, I think they are back on par again which is good. Main reason is I don't think my hips can handle the volume of sumo only training as well as squatting so back to conventional for training at least and I will see how I go as I near the end of this program if I switch to sumo or not. Apparently, Ed Coan trained conventional all the time and just switched for comps.

BTW I was a tad hungover when I ate that curry. Seriously bought me back to life :laugh:

16/9/13
    BW 84.9kg

Capture.JPG
    First day of new program. It is a modified diggit program from PTC linear progression style which I've adjusted a few accessory movements for my goals and I "may" have an optional bb day for my chest hypertrophy. Squats were all high bar and beltless to make it harder but still not that hard. First time squatting properly in ages and felt great. Bench is harder for me even at light weight as I struggle to keep tightness for that many reps. On Mr Miyagi's advice I will be incorporating the 3 board press weekly. RDL's at 120 is pretty damn challenging for a starting weight.

Targets for the program are set at 220 squat, 107.5kg bench and 255 deadlift. I realise I am still at a 240max DL currently but basically put the lack of no increase in 1rm last cycle down to the hip mobility rather than any programming. Plan is to do it all conventional in training to give the hips a break and I'll just see how I feel when the weights get heavy again.

Also, officially started my Carb Backloading experiment today but I'm not too good at keeping the protein a bit lower. Rough target macros are 200/350-400/70 on training days and 250/50/100 on non training days.

I think we are going to have to include some more sugars to reach these carb numbers! I was very proud as Kee was able to eat just as much as me! that is 200g of raw pasta there. Bowl as big as my head.
    20130916_204443.jpg

EATS

burger from local shop
    20130915_145851.jpg

mint lamb chops, broccoli and peanut oil baked asparagus
    20130916_124456.jpg

roo spag bol with wine bottle for size ref
    20130916_204123.jpg

Cals 3020
    286P/249C/89F