Daily Check In Thread -- 10k+ version

Options

Replies

• alpine1994
    alpine1994 Posts: 1,915 Member
    Options
    I got an email from Runners World on Monday with a link for a recovery yoga routine, I was looking to do some extra stretching and have done this the last 3 days. I am amazed how much better I feel! I don't know if it is the routine or just the fact that I am stretching more, but here is the link if anyone wants to try it:
    http://www.runnersworld.com/recovery-yoga-for-runners?cm_mmc=NL-TrainingExtra-_-1679170-_-04292014-_-Recovery-Yoga-for-Runners

I saw that and saved the email! I will definitely have to give it a try. I did pilates on Wednesday after I ran 4 miles on Tuesday night (my longest run so far!) to try to reduce the soreness in my legs and hips and I didn't realize that pilates isn't really a stretching-out kinda workout. It made me twice as sore! Oh well, now I know.

So I had my 4 mile run on Tuesday night which was great. I was supposed to do that on Sunday but I overheated (it was noon in the low 90s and hot sun) and wasn't feeling well from a little too much drinking on Saturday. :( Stupid. Tonight I'm doing an easy 3 miles, ballet class tomorrow, and then Sunday morning (before it gets too hot) I'm going to do a long run and see how it goes. Will try for at least 4 miles again, maybe 4.5 or 5 if I'm feeling good. My first 10K is 24 days away!! Yikes!
  • PaytraB
    PaytraB Posts: 2,360 Member
    Options
    Petra, you are definitely getting faster!

Thanks, Romy!

Missed my run yesterday. I had to work overtime and it was too late when I got home (and I was too beat). Hopefully, I'll be able to get out for a run today after work. The sun is shining and it would be a great day for it. Fingers crossed.
  • PaytraB
    PaytraB Posts: 2,360 Member
    Options
    Arrgh! I signed up for a 10K in August and realised today that there's only 3 months left until race day. Been slack with longer distances lately, I do a 5K every Saturday (Parkrun - free, timed 5K every Saturday held around the world) and the past few weeks I've only been running that plus a short course (4.2k) around my neighbourhood once or twice a week. Longest run I've done so far was 9.4K around a month ago (hour and a half was my time). My 5K times have been coming down, although I'm still horribly slow.

Seriously need to start doing the app I downloaded (10K runner). Any pointers? Tips? I don't really care about my times, I just want to complete it and be injury free!

Sounds like you'll be ready. Just get started on the app. I'm (loosely) following the 10K Runner app, too. I find it really helps me build my stamina and I can run longer than I have been able to in the past. It'll get you ready for your race.
    You can do this.
  • tedsmama
    tedsmama Posts: 178 Member
    Options
    The weather is finally AMAZING here in Alaska and it is making my outside running much more enjoyable! Practice 5K yesterday outside in preparation for my first 5K race Sunday and finished with a 31:05 (PR) so hopefully Sunday will go well!

Hope everyone has a great weekend and hope the sun is shining on your runs, wherever you may be!!
  • Froody2
    Froody2 Posts: 338 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the advice and encouragement, everyone. I'll check back occasionally to keep you all updated :smile:
  • taeliesyn
    taeliesyn Posts: 1,116 Member
    Options
    10 broken kms of mud hills & obstacles. I did Stampede in Perth today and had a blast. Didn't quite run all 10km, but I wouldn't have fallen too short. Went there without a team and joined up with a fellow volunteer and her friends. Good company and had a blast. Definitely glad I bought my Innov-8 Trailrocs, they kicked *kitten* on the course for me, no slips or anything except on surfaces where anything would have slipped!
  • bttrthanevr
    bttrthanevr Posts: 615 Member
    Options
    Almost two weeks ago, my left knee started hurting when I run. I didn't run much last week, figured I would rest it. I was a bit sore on Monday's run, so on my lunch break on Wednesday I went into the running store where I got my shoes. The guy had me try on a couple of different pairs and came back to the same model I was wearing as the best fit for me. I did bring my shoes in (they only had 28 miles on them) and he asked me if I really wear them laced up that loose. I told him I've had to do that or the top of my feet get numb about a mile into my run. He had me run in my shoes and said I was most likely having issues with my IT band because my feet are moving around in the shoes too much. He took a look at my feet and said the bone on the top of my foot is higher that most folks and said it's probably getting numb from rubbing across that. He put an adhesive cushion on the tongue of my shoe and had me lace them where I skip the 2nd and 3rd holes from the top.

Later that evening I did a 5 mile run, and had to take several walking breaks as my knee was sore. By the time I was done, I was left to limp the 1/2 mile back to the car. The top of the back of my thigh just below my butt was hurting, the outside of my hip hurt and my glutes were sore as well. All on the left side. I did my normal stretching after my run and when I got home I used the foam roller. I expected a lot of pain rolling out my IT band and there was none, no knots. I soaked in an epsom salt bath and went to bed.

Yesterday I went into the doctor as I was still limping. He turned, bent and prodded my leg and said he couldn't see anything right off, sent me for 3 xrays of my knee to ensure that there was no structural damage. (Not sure why there would be just from running, it's not like I fell.) I'm supposed to get a call back today after the xrays are read to give me next steps. Today it's still sore, but at least I'm not limping anymore. So far I'm doing the standard R.I.C.E. treatment.

I'm signed up to do the Cinco de Miler (5m) on Sunday and that's no longer going to happen. We'll have to see how standing on it all day affects it. Both today and tomorrow I'm volunteering for the Wisconsin Marathon. Today is packet pickup and tomorrow for the race itself. I do have a knee brace I'll be wearing all day. I'm rather frustrated and hope this doesn't take too long to heal.

Aw, Rindy...that really sucks. I hope you can recover quickly. Have you considered a form evaluation? Maybe your form is doing you in? Also, weight training...to strengthen your quads and hips to give better support to your knees? How about your arch support? (I'm guessing the guy that fitted you for your shoes already addressed this, but...)

Here's a link for diagnosing the cause http://www.coolrunning.com/engine/2/2_5/194.shtml http://saveyourself.ca/articles/diagnose-runners-knee.php this one has a check list
  • bttrthanevr
    bttrthanevr Posts: 615 Member
    Options
    Welcome to all the new people!!! How cool to have some new voices yearning to run longer distances. ;-)

I ran my first ever half marathon in 2:20:37!!! Way better than my projected 2:30. I finished strong and feeling good!!!! My husband drove me and saw me off at the 7:15AM start. Then he went back home to wait and bring back the kids (we live 5 minutes from the start/finish line. I had to text while running in mile 11 to tell my family to get to the finish line, because I was doing so much better than I thought I would!!! My daughter didn't even get to finish her breakfast! LOL! I popped off a selfie at 8.1 miles. In the last mile I was already thinking about and planning for my next half LOL! Ryan Gosling was waiting for a photo op at the finish. He's so supportive of women running.

ad23f8bf-11b0-4656-bf69-f9f3fb8ad9b2_zps7b778d0a.jpg

194cac2b-3e72-4fa5-8f29-ea17f54d5304_zps120b7814.png

I earned a Sombrero and a moustache mug, enjoyed a nice free massage!!!, and of course bananas and chocolate milk. I had a bracelet for a free beer tent too, but I'm more of a chocolate milk person at 9:30 in the morning. :-)
    My running group gals all did fantastic! So happy!!! I came home showered, walked the dog with my family and then headed for Mexican and ate all the free chips I wanted! Now I'm going to cook myself a steak. All in all a good day!

photo-7_zps3545bdda.jpg
  • aliciadalicia
    aliciadalicia Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    I had to catch up. I had the flu (aka 3 day plague). Viruses seem to hit me worse now that I've moved from the USA to Europe.

I'm so sorry to hear your news, Rindy. :( I hope it heals up and you can walk and run free of pain!

Everyone else seems to be doing great. Ha, getting the 3 extra miles in to make 100 while having a fever. I hope you are ok and feeling better. I only did some planks while I was sick and felt like that was going to kill me. Lol

I did yoga (felt amazing) and ab+back exercise program (Denise Austin). My body feels so nicely stretched and warmed up. I want to run but hitting the pool first thing tomorrow morning. Hopefully a run too. (Running is taking a backseat since I realized my strapless bridesmaid dress are going to show off my flabby arms but completely hide my toned legs! Not fair :P) Happy running, cross training, stretching, healing!
  • aliciadalicia
    aliciadalicia Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    @bttrthanevr Great photos. Sounds like a great time. That's the life! Lol and oh that ever supportive Ryan Gosling!
  • likitisplit
    likitisplit Posts: 9,420 Member
    Options
    Welcome to all the new people!!! How cool to have some new voices yearning to run longer distances. ;-)

I ran my first ever half marathon in 2:20:37!!! Way better than my projected 2:30. I finished strong and feeling good!!!! My husband drove me and saw me off at the 7:15AM start. Then he went back home to wait and bring back the kids (we live 5 minutes from the start/finish line. I had to text while running in mile 11 to tell my family to get to the finish line, because I was doing so much better than I thought I would!!! My daughter didn't even get to finish her breakfast! LOL! I popped off a selfie at 8.1 miles. In the last mile I was already thinking about and planning for my next half LOL! Ryan Gosling was waiting for a photo op at the finish. He's so supportive of women running.

ad23f8bf-11b0-4656-bf69-f9f3fb8ad9b2_zps7b778d0a.jpg

194cac2b-3e72-4fa5-8f29-ea17f54d5304_zps120b7814.png

I earned a Sombrero and a moustache mug, enjoyed a nice free massage!!!, and of course bananas and chocolate milk. I had a bracelet for a free beer tent too, but I'm more of a chocolate milk person at 9:30 in the morning. :-)
    My running group gals all did fantastic! So happy!!! I came home showered, walked the dog with my family and then headed for Mexican and ate all the free chips I wanted! Now I'm going to cook myself a steak. All in all a good day!

photo-7_zps3545bdda.jpg

I hate to focus on appearance over performance -damn good time- but you look so fit and beautiful in these photos, it makes me tear up.
  • likitisplit
    Options
    10 broken kms of mud hills & obstacles. I did Stampede in Perth today and had a blast. Didn't quite run all 10km, but I wouldn't have fallen too short. Went there without a team and joined up with a fellow volunteer and her friends. Good company and had a blast. Definitely glad I bought my Innov-8 Trailrocs, they kicked *kitten* on the course for me, no slips or anything except on surfaces where anything would have slipped!

:)
  • likitisplit
    Options
    Back from my cruise. If you ever want to try a 5k marathon, try running in the Bahamas at 9am. It was a slog, but it was a great start to the day and my kids and I loved the mouse ear medal.
  • likitisplit
    Options
    Nice intervals there John!!

Last night was a hard 6 miles at 9:35 pace. It was humid and I'm fighting a cold so it didn't feel that great. And my legs were sore from Monday's gym workout. I tested a prototype Saucony shoe that did not feel good at all. Good thing I only ran two miles in those before coming back to change shoes. I had the current Guide 7 on one foot and a prototype on the other. The Guide 7 felt great but the other really hurt.

I felt strange after the run and checked my temperature when I got home. I was at 101° no wonder I didn't feel well! So I took a shot of Nyquil and crashed in bed. I must have sweat gallons - woke up several times totally soaked.

I'm still going to do my 3-mile easy run today. For the month I am at 97.8 miles and I have never hit 100 in a month.

Lol. I'd do 2.3 and call it a day. You aren't building fitness with a fever.
  • likitisplit
    Options
    5k in 29:14

*envious*
  • likitisplit
    Options
    I got an email from Runners World on Monday with a link for a recovery yoga routine, I was looking to do some extra stretching and have done this the last 3 days. I am amazed how much better I feel! I don't know if it is the routine or just the fact that I am stretching more, but here is the link if anyone wants to try it:
    http://www.runnersworld.com/recovery-yoga-for-runners?cm_mmc=NL-TrainingExtra-_-1679170-_-04292014-_-Recovery-Yoga-for-Runners

I do most of those poses in yogilates. Which is why I commit to going every Monday. It really does make a difference.
  • likitisplit
    Options
    Arrgh! I signed up for a 10K in August and realised today that there's only 3 months left until race day. Been slack with longer distances lately, I do a 5K every Saturday (Parkrun - free, timed 5K every Saturday held around the world) and the past few weeks I've only been running that plus a short course (4.2k) around my neighbourhood once or twice a week. Longest run I've done so far was 9.4K around a month ago (hour and a half was my time). My 5K times have been coming down, although I'm still horribly slow.

Seriously need to start doing the app I downloaded (10K runner). Any pointers? Tips? I don't really care about my times, I just want to complete it and be injury free!

12 weeks is more than ample time to build up. Get a plan and work it. You'll be fine.
  • likitisplit
    Options
    Almost two weeks ago, my left knee started hurting when I run. I didn't run much last week, figured I would rest it. I was a bit sore on Monday's run, so on my lunch break on Wednesday I went into the running store where I got my shoes. The guy had me try on a couple of different pairs and came back to the same model I was wearing as the best fit for me. I did bring my shoes in (they only had 28 miles on them) and he asked me if I really wear them laced up that loose. I told him I've had to do that or the top of my feet get numb about a mile into my run. He had me run in my shoes and said I was most likely having issues with my IT band because my feet are moving around in the shoes too much. He took a look at my feet and said the bone on the top of my foot is higher that most folks and said it's probably getting numb from rubbing across that. He put an adhesive cushion on the tongue of my shoe and had me lace them where I skip the 2nd and 3rd holes from the top.

Later that evening I did a 5 mile run, and had to take several walking breaks as my knee was sore. By the time I was done, I was left to limp the 1/2 mile back to the car. The top of the back of my thigh just below my butt was hurting, the outside of my hip hurt and my glutes were sore as well. All on the left side. I did my normal stretching after my run and when I got home I used the foam roller. I expected a lot of pain rolling out my IT band and there was none, no knots. I soaked in an epsom salt bath and went to bed.

Yesterday I went into the doctor as I was still limping. He turned, bent and prodded my leg and said he couldn't see anything right off, sent me for 3 xrays of my knee to ensure that there was no structural damage. (Not sure why there would be just from running, it's not like I fell.) I'm supposed to get a call back today after the xrays are read to give me next steps. Today it's still sore, but at least I'm not limping anymore. So far I'm doing the standard R.I.C.E. treatment.

I'm signed up to do the Cinco de Miler (5m) on Sunday and that's no longer going to happen. We'll have to see how standing on it all day affects it. Both today and tomorrow I'm volunteering for the Wisconsin Marathon. Today is packet pickup and tomorrow for the race itself. I do have a knee brace I'll be wearing all day. I'm rather frustrated and hope this doesn't take too long to heal.

Man that sucks. For me, knee issues always start in my hips. I've been having it twinges since building the playhouse because of the way I use my body and the fact that I habitually allow my right hip to drop and don't flex my left hip. Last year it was a strength issue. This year it's just sloppiness (for me). One thing I noticed is that exercises that require me to engage my core (push-ups, pull ups, even bridges) actually give me a lot of relief.
  • romyhorse
    romyhorse Posts: 694 Member
    Options
    The weather is finally AMAZING here in Alaska and it is making my outside running much more enjoyable! Practice 5K yesterday outside in preparation for my first 5K race Sunday and finished with a 31:05 (PR) so hopefully Sunday will go well!

Hope everyone has a great weekend and hope the sun is shining on your runs, wherever you may be!!

Good luck with your 5k today!
  • romyhorse
    romyhorse Posts: 694 Member
    Options
    Sounds like you had an amazing time, well done!