Daily Check In Thread -- 10k+ version

Options

Replies

• mbaker566
    mbaker566 Posts: 11,233 Member
    Options
    outer ankle was super stiff this morning and inner calf was super tight this morning. I think I'll teach a runners yoga class tonight. and work the calf with a ball at work. one day at a time. I'm hoping to run tomorrow morning. It's supposed to be beautiful and it's only 44 min of running. lol, i said "only"
  • Just_Ceci
    Just_Ceci Posts: 5,926 Member
    edited September 2015
    Options
    Thunderstorms forced me into the gym yesterday. I rode the stationary bike 45 minutes then ran a mile (9:27).

Cooler weather this week will mean back to outside running! YAY!

ETA: I had my first session as a Girls on the Run coach yesterday- 14 very energetic grade 3-5 girls. It will be fun!
  • samra338
    samra338 Posts: 2,622 Member
    Options
    Started my 10k improver program today. First run was an easy 30 mins run with a 5 minutes warmup and 5 minutes cool down. I covered 2.8 miles. No issues while running, but my PF has been severe today.
  • PaytraB
    PaytraB Posts: 2,360 Member
    Options
    "taeliesyn wrote: »
    You've run yourself into a plateau.

That hit home.....like a lightbulb turning on. Thank you! I am thinking about this carefully now.

Today I ran my usual 5K at my usual pace (40:00; a steady 8:00 Kilometer). Then I ran 8 1-minute sprints with 1-1.5 minute walks between. Each minute was between 0.16 and 0.19K in distance for a total of 1.36K in 8 minutes. I felt good afterwards. Each minute, I found myself glancing at my watch at about the 45-50 second mark, then pushing for that last few seconds.

I'm very much enjoying my staycation. Thank you! It's great to be at home, enjoying whatever I'm doing that day. Today, I'm making meatballs for freezing. Love the made-ahead meal helpers.
  • ftrobbie
    ftrobbie Posts: 1,017 Member
    edited September 2015
    Options
    @taeliesyn it does not surprise me that you have had a poor run, the amount of running you have done recently makes me feel tired just looking at it. Your Strava feed looks as though it was a temporary blip

@Just_Ceci nice work in the improvement in the 10k time especially given the conditions you report.

Missed Tuesdays run , but cycled in to work today, had an extremely long day in work so went the long way home. Hadn't realised how early night sets in, so did the last 20 mins in the dark, although I was lit up like a Christmas tree
  • mbaker566
    Options
    still resting my ankle/calf. I'm hoping to give the next day a try tomorrow. too much sitting around
  • DianaLovesCoffee
    DianaLovesCoffee Posts: 398 Member
    Options
    @PaytraB I found that if I go for a run my pace is always the same 13 min miles. I recently tried using music with a steady beats per minute. My pace improved to 11 minute miles right away. You may only need to use this for a few runs to get into a new pace. Good luck!
  • LLduds
    LLduds Posts: 258 Member
    Options
    Hi everyone! I'm still plugging away on my HM trainer. I'm in San Diego this week for a conference, and I'm very much enjoying having my morning runs along the marina. My pace is pretty consistently staying in the 10 min/mile range; I wonder if I'll be able to sustain that throughout the entire HM (current runs are 4-6 miles). We shall see, I guess. Have a wonderful rest of the week :)
  • taeliesyn
    taeliesyn Posts: 1,116 Member
    Options
    PaytraB wrote: »
    "taeliesyn wrote: »
    You've run yourself into a plateau.

That hit home.....like a lightbulb turning on. Thank you! I am thinking about this carefully now.

Today I ran my usual 5K at my usual pace (40:00; a steady 8:00 Kilometer). Then I ran 8 1-minute sprints with 1-1.5 minute walks between. Each minute was between 0.16 and 0.19K in distance for a total of 1.36K in 8 minutes. I felt good afterwards. Each minute, I found myself glancing at my watch at about the 45-50 second mark, then pushing for that last few seconds.

I'm very much enjoying my staycation. Thank you! It's great to be at home, enjoying whatever I'm doing that day. Today, I'm making meatballs for freezing. Love the made-ahead meal helpers.

Whoo! I was going to suggest something like that. If you can get that 1 day a week run out past your 10k limit each week it will help too. Time obviously allowing.
    Another thing to try is the classic fartlek, Run along easy, then pick a spot and sprint to it. Come back to a slow jog for a while, pick another spot and repeat. Change how easy/hard you do each part.

If you're looking to sneak a little extra distance in, you could probably cut your cooldown down to 5 or 10 minutes if it's been an easy run.
  • mbaker566
    Options
    getting back into the swing of things. Ankle and calf not a 100 percent but felt ok doing 20 min run. Tomorrow is looking good for a long run again.
  • taeliesyn
    taeliesyn Posts: 1,116 Member
    Options
    Glad your ankle and calf is on the mend moyer :)
  • PaytraB
    PaytraB Posts: 2,360 Member
    Options
    Moyer, glad that your ankle & calf are healing well.

Tried a few hill repeats this morning. It went better than I thought it would. For convenience, I opted to go "distance" rather than "time" for today only, so that I wouldn't need to concentrate on my watch but just watching the road.
    I ran up the hill from a bus stop to a cul-de-sac entrance three times. First time 2:20, then 1:50, then 1:40. I may not have been fully warmed up for the first run (ran about 2 minutes before coming to the hill) or I started at a cautious pace (not sure which). Next time, I will run uphill for 2 minutes each time for at least three repeats (will try for 4) and see if I can go the same distance or longer each time.
    After the three repeats, I continued running up the hill to the top and completed my run. I was feeling it by the end. Total run, with repeats: 5.5K in 44:10
  • maggiekat7
    maggiekat7 Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    just popping in long enough to say, getting four children ready for the first week for school is harder than any run i've done to date! happily, i was able to sneak 2 interval runs in. i have a love/hate relationship with these sessions. i love the feeling of pushing myself to run faster - but hate that it's such hard work! and then there is that whole "slow down" issue i have.

i have an easy run and a long run on my agenda for this weekend. would have loved to space these two out, but with the end of summer, daylight hours are making it difficult to run outside.
  • mbaker566
    Options
    W13d2 done. And I got it done with going at 5.2 mph. And I got my hrm. I feel good. There was a chill in the air this morning. Made me more excited to run. Brr. Did a few sprints after too

I've come to the conclusion this ankle stuff is more about my Achilles being tight and pulling everything it of whack. I've got some stretches to do
  • maggiekat7
    maggiekat7 Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    nice 10k today. first half was under 6 min/km - second half was just over 6 min/km. tried a different twist on my regular route and it had a few hilly sections. heart rate was definitely well over usual as a result and i'm feeling tired now. looking forward to an easy 6k tomorrow.
  • fit4life_73
    fit4life_73 Posts: 435 Member
    edited September 2015
    Options
    Hi All
  • fit4life_73
    edited September 2015
    Options
    Hi All Hi All
  • fit4life_73