Daily Check In Thread -- 10k+ version

Options

Replies

• taeliesyn
    taeliesyn Posts: 1,116 Member
    Options
    Great running everyone! Sounds like things are going well, even as we head into the silly (slack) season!

I had my trail run(race) on the weekend, and am still both over the moon with my result and totally stunned by it.
    Earlier this year, this race had actually been intended to be my first Ultra, I was going to go run it with friends, have fun and become an ultra runner. Well we all know that plans change, and this definitely wasn't my first ultra now. Still for a while I had been planning to race it, and then I got the silly idea of doing WA's only 100miler, which meant I needed a 100k finish to qualify and the first chance at that is coming up soon. So the racing idea went out the window and I began telling everyone it was going to be used as a training run. I don't think many believed me. I set a soft target of sub 6hrs, I had a great day target of sub 5:30, and thought if I was lucky and if I put myself deep into the hurt locker for the last 10k, I might, only might be able to go sub 5:15. I have admited I thought a sub 5 was possible, if I were to actually race, but that wasn't the plan.

I'm not going to do the fall race recap thing. I have totally blown myself away, by running a 4:50 for the race. I stuck to my goal of using it as a training run, never even opened the hurt locker and only struggled a little for the last few km's. That's a finish time that I honestly thought I would hurt, work and suffer for. Backed up yesterday with a nice 15+km, at very easy pace for the most of it, and legs are feeling great. I sit and stand, I do stairs... Based on the way i'm feeling I nailed the training pace!
  • Just_Ceci
    Just_Ceci Posts: 5,926 Member
    Options
    @taeliesyn WOW!
  • Just_Ceci
    Options
    I started week 3 of my half plan yesterday, running 4 miles in 39:46. Flat route, no issues, increasing pace splits, felt good!
  • mbaker566
    mbaker566 Posts: 11,233 Member
    Options
    @taeliesyn pretty amazing
    @Just_Ceci wow. i wish i had that. my 5k isn't even there. I know, i know, give it time. :wink:
    maybe santa can bring me some speed
  • ftrobbie
    ftrobbie Posts: 1,017 Member
    Options
    @Just_Ceci your HM plan seems to be going well, are you finding the brick sessions getting easier or do they just still suck?
    @moyer566 13.2 miles or kms, good work either way but if you are doing HMs in training you will nail your run in February. You may need to to put a speed session in every week to build upon the aerobic base you are building up. Easy miles to strengthen the CV system and a speed session each week to make you faster. Good luck
    @taeliesyn saw the Strava session and was seriously impressed. Nice going mate, the distances you have been doing in training have clearly had a beneficial effect. Looking forward to the long distance adventures of Taeliesyn.

Haven't found the motivation to cycle in the dark wind and rain. Too cold, too hard and too dangerous to be enjoyable. Have got back to early morning hour long runs, although the first mile or so still suck. Good to get miles in the legs. Ultra plan starts in the new year.

Have a great Christmas everyone.
  • Just_Ceci
    Options
    ftrobbie wrote: »
    @Just_Ceci your HM plan seems to be going well, are you finding the brick sessions getting easier or do they just still suck?
    Somewhat easier, I guess. Sunday's was good because I was with a girl who is slower than me, so I wasn't really pushing it on the ride or the run. The previous time, I ran first, then rode, so that was good!

• mbaker566
    Options
    @ftrobbie 13.2 miles...that's my saturday mornings when i can get it in.
    I've been working on build ups but considering fartleks or intervals on one of my 10ks
  • Just_Ceci
    Options
    @moyer566 fartleks, intervals, hill repeats all will help with pace.
  • ftrobbie
    Options
    Just_Ceci wrote: »
    @moyer566 fartleks, intervals, hill repeats all will help with pace.

QFT
  • ftrobbie
    Options
    moyer566 wrote: »
    I've been working on build ups but considering fartleks or intervals on one of my 10ks

Cracking stuff, you'll do well in February

• mbaker566
    edited December 2015
    Options
    if i'm doing 2 10ks usually tuesdays and thursdays-now build ups- and a long run of 10 or 13 miles on saturday, is it ok to add a 5k on monday or weds focusing on adding three hills and/or speedy stuff? or should i try to add it to my 10ks?
  • taeliesyn
    taeliesyn Posts: 1,116 Member
    Options
    if i'm doing 2 10ks usually tuesdays and thursdays-now build ups- and a long run of 10 or 13 miles on saturday, is it ok to add a 5k on monday or weds focusing on adding three hills and/or speedy stuff? or should i try to add it to my 10ks?

If you're adding in another day, for speed work, add it in as an easy run first, then turn it into speed a few weeks later. Adding distance & speedwork at the same time is asking for issues.
    You should be ok to add 5k on Monday with your hills, but take it easy for the first few weeks, and then start working the hills :) Otherwise, add the speed work to your Tuesday session.
  • mbaker566
    Options
    Sounds good. Ty
  • MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    edited December 2015
    Options

Given your mileage you'll get more from adding another 10mpw to your training before adding speedwork.

You could also look at your distance balance as your long is disproportionate in comparison to your total weekly mileage. Your long should be no more than 30% of total, at the moment it's > 50%.
  • mbaker566
    Options

Given your mileage you'll get more from adding another 10mpw to your training before adding speedwork.

You could also look at your distance balance as your long is disproportionate in comparison to your total weekly mileage. Your long should be no more than 30% of total, at the moment it's > 50%.

While that is likely ideal, I am unable to accommodate those miles. I have to wake up at 4 a.m. to run my six and a half. And I refuse to get up before that. Maybe as I get faster my mileage will be more proportionate. I don't have time to run in the afternoon or evening either. I slowly run in the morning
  • MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    Options

While that is likely ideal, I am unable to accommodate those miles. I have to wake up at 4 a.m. to run my six and a half. And I refuse to get up before that. Maybe as I get faster my mileage will be more proportionate. I don't have time to run in the afternoon or evening either. I slowly run in the morning

So you've got to balance your available time, your aspirations, and your appetite for injury.

As you've got an 8k race then there is no real value in a 21.1k run, particularly as you're needing to increase your pace somewhat. If you do a 12k as your long run you've got capacity to increase your pace on that run, which supports your objectives,

What I'd suggest is that if you've got capacity to add another run per week then go for something like; 10, 10, 10, 12. That's similar mileage to your current weekly, but all of those miles should be at a similar pace, rather than over half of them being at slow speed. That should allow you to improve your pace at short distances, which will then help as you move onto longer distances.
  • Just_Ceci
    Options
    I ran yesterday, same route as Monday, but with a very strong wind. It was tough! Finished the 4 miles in 40:09. Thanks to freakishly warm weather and my decision to avoid shopping today, I got in a 15 mile bike ride today!
  • ftrobbie
    Options
    Merry Christmas everyone

6 mile ride to a parkrun, 5 km parkrun, 10 mile ride back. What a start to Christmas. Despite thanking all the marshalls at the event today, I still don't feel as though it was enough. So I thank them here as well, giving up part of their Christmas morning to allow 275 of us to run. Hip, hip horray for parkrun volunteers everywhere. Without the volunteers parkrun does not happen.

Hope you all have a great day and the big fat fella rewards you regardless of whether you have been bad or good.

Have fun
  • Just_Ceci
    Options
    I ran 10k today (1:03:13) had to try out my new gps watch that Santa brought me! It seemed to work fine during the run, but now I have to figure out how to get the data onto my computer!

Merry Christmas!
  • ftrobbie
    Options
    Watches are so much better than apps on phones. Watches tend to have their own little loading programs either linked to a cable or ANT+ dongle. Youtube is great for sorting out your problems, hope you get it to work too soon. Nice run by the way.

Got a 2nd parkrun done this weekend, arrived late so started at the back of a 250+ field, took 22 secs to cross the start line, spent the first 10 mins going through the field, on the mud, through some deep puddles getting both muddy and wet. Wind like a few weeks ago on the back straight was atrocious, I intended to ride there but a 45 min ride into the wind really put me off. So despite it potentially being a better run than yesterdays, I ended up expending too much energy running through the mud off the running path to make a difference, followed by running into that wind. Legs and shoes were absolutely filthy. Hoping to get either a long run or ride done tomorrow. Have fun