Daily Check In Thread -- 10k+ version

Options

Replies

• Just_Ceci
    Just_Ceci Posts: 5,926 Member
    Options
    Ran c25k w2d1 with coworker at her pace yesterday. She rocked it! It was fun. I should have kept running, but I opted for shoulder PT instead.
  • Aine8046
    Aine8046 Posts: 2,122 Member
    Options
    Just_Ceci wrote: »
    @Aine8046 You are doing an awesome job.
    Thanks!
    Week 3 day 1 is done! Fast and easy! Love runs like this :)

• KRPolo
    KRPolo Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    Ran 4 miles on Monday, 4.25 yesterday, and rode 7 miles on the bike this am. Need to fit in a long run this weekend sometime, but third weekend in a row that I work both days, so it may be at odd hours. Have about 75 miles on my new shoes and having shin pain in my right leg- not sure why, but I may go back to the running store to get an opinion. Do you folks usually alternate different shoes while you are training?

Keep up the good runs everybody! Hopefully warm weather is on the way finally here on the east coast!
  • Just_Ceci
    Options
    I did 2 short runs yesterday with 2 different coworkers for a total of just under 5 miles including walking intervals. I needed that.
  • Just_Ceci
    Options
    KRPolo wrote: »
    Ran 4 miles on Monday, 4.25 yesterday, and rode 7 miles on the bike this am. Need to fit in a long run this weekend sometime, but third weekend in a row that I work both days, so it may be at odd hours. Have about 75 miles on my new shoes and having shin pain in my right leg- not sure why, but I may go back to the running store to get an opinion. Do you folks usually alternate different shoes while you are training?

Keep up the good runs everybody! Hopefully warm weather is on the way finally here on the east coast!

I do. At one point I ended up with 2 new pair of running shoes around the same time, so I alternated them and have kept alternating in a new pair with the old pair whenever I buy a new pair. Also, there are certain routes I won't wear new shoes on for various reasons.
  • MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    Options
    Do you folks usually alternate different shoes while you are training?

I use different shoes for different things, although also keep track of mileage so I have shoes of different ages on the go. At the moment I have:

Retired pair of Hurricane 15 with 500 miles that I use for resistance training or rowing
    Hurricane 15 with about 420 miles that I'm not really using much at the moment. They'd be for 5k only.
    Hurricane 15 with 350 miles or so that I'm using for my long runs
    Hurricane 16 with 60 miles I'm about to start slotting in for the longs, although as upthread I'm not all that cofortable with them

They're all an 8mm drop motion control road shoe with cushioning

Road Claw 275 with about 40 miles that I'm using for my short midweeks

Thats a 6mm neutral shoe with minimal cushioning

Excursion with about 200 miles that I use for winter trail running.

They have a goretex lining and an 8mm drop, as with most trail shoes they're neutral

Xodus 4 with about 250 miles on them that I use for summer trail and races

4mm drop, neutral with a reasonably stiff shank, some cushioning and rockplate

Race Ultra 270 with about 50 miles on them that I'm using for trail sessions at the moment

3mm drop, neutral with a very flexible sole giving me good ground feel but minimal cushioning
  • Aine8046
    Options
    W3D2 done! Nice weather and easy run! :)
  • Aine8046
    edited April 2016
    Options
    Week 3 Day 3 is done - had a great 4 mi run tonight! Ready for Week 4 :)
    ts5a3f3c7wdv.jpg
    run.jpg 233.7K
  • xLyric
    xLyric Posts: 840 Member
    Options
    Hello! Just finished C25K a week ago, spent the past week transitioning outside instead of the treadmill I was using, and now I'm here to continue on. Used a 1% incline in the gym, and that seems to have done its job, because I can pretty comfortably run 30 minutes outside now and I didn't really need to adjust like some others. I'm super slow (15ish min mile) but I'll get there. I couldn't stand the humidity in the gym anymore, so I moved outside (though I still avoid the sun).

Ran 30 minutes on Friday just to make sure I could, but it was a super hilly area, and while it was surprisingly fine while I ran, today my thighs are super sore. I'll be glad to get back to my normal area. It's raining now, though, with no sign of ending, so I'll have to wait to start my first run until tomorrow. Hopefully they'll feel better by then. Just wanted to say hi!

Also, I've been reading the past few pages just to sort of see who frequents the thread, and I was wondering what everyone is doing? It seems like some are doing the B210K program (I'm using ZenLabs) while others are doing something more varied. It would be really cool to hear about what you're doing and how far you are! I feel like a kid coming in here with my 30 minutes with the marathoners here, haha. :lol:
  • Just_Ceci
    Options
    @xLyric I was in the middle of a 16 week half marathon plan when I had shoulder surgery. Two months later, I'm doing what I can, running a few times a week and longing for my bicycle. One of my coworkers recently decided to start running again and I'm doing Couch to 5k with her at her pace also.
  • Aine8046
    Options
    xLyric wrote: »
    Hello! Just finished C25K a week ago, spent the past week transitioning outside instead of the treadmill I was using, and now I'm here to continue on. Used a 1% incline in the gym, and that seems to have done its job, because I can pretty comfortably run 30 minutes outside now and I didn't really need to adjust like some others. I'm super slow (15ish min mile) but I'll get there. I couldn't stand the humidity in the gym anymore, so I moved outside (though I still avoid the sun).

Ran 30 minutes on Friday just to make sure I could, but it was a super hilly area, and while it was surprisingly fine while I ran, today my thighs are super sore. I'll be glad to get back to my normal area. It's raining now, though, with no sign of ending, so I'll have to wait to start my first run until tomorrow. Hopefully they'll feel better by then. Just wanted to say hi!

Also, I've been reading the past few pages just to sort of see who frequents the thread, and I was wondering what everyone is doing? It seems like some are doing the B210K program (I'm using ZenLabs) while others are doing something more varied. It would be really cool to hear about what you're doing and how far you are! I feel like a kid coming in here with my 30 minutes with the marathoners here, haha. :lol:

Welcome! I finished c25k few weeks ago and train for a 10k now. It looks like a lot of people are doing bridge to 10k from ZenLab here. I have a 10 week plan based on one of the Hal Higdon plans.
    qxas91enxiom.png
    10k.png 59.5K
  • mbaker566
    mbaker566 Posts: 11,233 Member
    Options
    so lazy and then i had my bachelorette party this weekend. hoping i get a run in tonight or tomorrow or both. i need to fall in love with running again.
  • MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    edited April 2016
    Options
    So marathon week four didn't go according to plan. I was planned to be in London all week but had to rush home unexpectedly on Wednesday evening, and worked at home on Thursday all day. What that meant was no run on Wednesday evening, and no opportunity to pick up the slack on Thursday or Frday. I ended up doing Wednesdays session on Saturday and blobbing up Saturday and Sunday into one long run on Sunday instead.

After the long on Sunday I used my 2Xu compression sleeves for most of the day. Not sure if it's a placebo or not, the reporting is mixed, but my legs aren't feeling as beaten up as they usueally do after my longs. It may just be improved conditioning.
    • Eight km easy on Tuesday on tarmac in my Road Claws. Eastbound on South Bank was pretty heavily occupied by tourists, so not the best session in the world. Probably won't be using that route again for the rest of the year.
    • Ten km easy on Saturday largely offroad in my Excursions. I wasn't really in the mood for it but got the miles in and ended up with a smile on my face by the end.
    • A combined long easy paced session totalling 25km on Sunday in my Hurricane 15s. A mixed trail run but enough road that the Race Ultra wouldn't have been the best idea. A bit muddy in places. A good long session pretty much on schedule at 3 hours. I rehearsed my gel strategy, with gels at 5km intervals, which seemed to work ok, and went through 500ml of fluid on the run.

I have my 18 miler this weekend so will rehearse my honey stinger chew strategy and see how that feels. I've previouskly found that a fourth gel can sit heavily in my stomach, and chews seem to work better, but it couldn't hurt to experiment again.

So things are going reasonably well at the moment, and reasonably happy with progress.

I've also entered a 12 hour race in August, on a 7km trail route, so need to start thinking about my strategy for that.
  • taeliesyn
    taeliesyn Posts: 1,116 Member
    Options
    Howdy @xLyric
    At one point or another, most of us were doing some version of a B210K program. This thread became the general check in and update on training :)

Unfortunately I'm still kinda broken, so I'm not sure what I'm doing with my running.
  • Just_Ceci
    Options
    10 miles on the stationary bike yesterday to try to loosen up sore muscles from Sunday's 8 mile hike. It didn't work! :s DOMS, the struggle is real!
  • Aine8046
    Options
    Week 4 Day 1 is done. Pretty slow :(
    Felt tired and did not like the new route - hilly and not good looking... Well, I had a whole week of great runs last week :)
  • KRPolo
    KRPolo Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    I can't believe Broad Street 10 miler is next Sunday! I'm doing a 5k this weekend which is to benefit a scholarship fund in memory of one of our students who was killed in action in Afghanistan, so this week, I've been running the course. It's very hilly, so hoping it helps my breathing and endurance for the long run next week. Shooting for a long run on Sunday and then a light week next week leading up to Sunday.
  • juliet3455
    juliet3455 Posts: 3,015 Member
    Options
    Have about 75 miles on my new shoes and having shin pain in my right leg- not sure why, but I may go back to the running store to get an opinion. Do you folks usually alternate different shoes while you are training?

Like @MeanderingMammal I have slowly acquired multiple pairs of shoes and have different Mileages on each.
    A common principle is to add new shoes into rotation on your Short Run days to see how they feel.
    Transition the good ones into your Long Run shoes.
    Shoes that are getting lots of miles on them or causing discomfort on Long Runs transition them back down to short runs.
    Eventually they get shifted out of Running rotation into walking, gym or yard shoes. Ultimately they all end up in the bin.

I have 2 pairs of Saucony guides, 1 nearing end of life, 1 with 350 km and starting to fade.
    4 pairs of Mizuno Waves ( 2 still in the box ) and 2 in rotation and my favorite Long run Race shoes at the moment.
  • Aine8046
    Options
    Week4 Day 2 is done! Nice and easy 3.5 mi run! :)
    6lnfuofo1fmw.jpg
  • Aine8046
    Options
    Have about 75 miles on my new shoes and having shin pain in my right leg- not sure why, but I may go back to the running store to get an opinion. Do you folks usually alternate different shoes while you are training?
    I like minimalist shoes - Kinvaras and Mizuno Wave.