Daily Check In Thread -- 10k+ version

Options

Replies

• taeliesyn
    taeliesyn Posts: 1,116 Member
    Options
    @NancyN795 I had a hill where I used to live, that had a horrible kick up at the end of it, felt like trying to run up a skateboard quarter pipe! As much as I hated that hill, it helped me learn to adjust my pacing as I would vary my pace to have my walk break kick in at the really nasty part of the hill LOL.
    Glad you're plugging away with the hills. I already miss mine!
  • sbl1881
    sbl1881 Posts: 213 Member
    Options
    I've managed to avoid the "big hill" on the C25k program, but that's going to change tomorrow. I've graduated the C25k program and am moving up to the bridge to 10k (yay for me!). I need a new route for the increase in distance and the 1/4 mile hill that I've been actively avoiding will finally come in to play. It's about a mile away from my house, so I'll hit the up hill portion at the end of my runs. Every time. This might hurt a little, but I can either stop at 3.1 miles or suck it up and run up a big hill. lol Wish me luck!
  • NancyN795
    NancyN795 Posts: 1,134 Member
    Options
    I started RunDouble's 5K to 10K program today.

W1D1 done. I'm doing the timed version for now. I ran a total of 3.3 miles. Which suited me just fine. The only problem was that I underestimated how much farther I should run after the "you are halfway" announcement before I turned around and ended up having to double back when I got to the end in order to finish the run. My excuse is that the road is really steep when I get to halfway! Next time I'll push myself to got a bit farther before turning around.

The distance version of the program would have had me running 4.4 miles with a 1/2 mile stretch that averages a nearly 8% grade right in the middle. I didn't think I could make that kind of a jump from the 5K distance (which only took me part way up that awful grade). Which is why I'm starting with the timed version. Once I can run up that hill, I may switch to the distance version.
  • taeliesyn
    Options
    Good work @NancyN795, and trust me that wont be the last time you double back to make distance or time with your running! Sounds like it's going well for you :)

Hope all went well with your run & hill @sbl1881!!

25k trail run on Sunday, it ended up being a lot of start and stop as I fell into the position of 'group leader' for the slower 25k group, which I didn't mind as 25k is around my limit currently and I'm once again breaking all distance building and balancing rules... but I'll bring it back in line eventually. Great run as the group trail runs always are.
    Going to attempt some speed work tonight before my social run... starting to settle back in to my old my routine WHOOO!
  • rusgolden
    rusgolden Posts: 1,337 Member
    Options
    Started the Zen Labs 10K trainer today, picking up on week 9 as I just completed the 5K on Sunday. My pace the first half was pretty good, but the last half was much tougher as I was really feeling the fatigue and in need of some water. Ended up going 5 miles with the walking and running together.

I have a couple of questions for experienced runners... 1) should I look into a Camelbak hydration backpack to run with, and if so, do you have recommendations? 2) I'm in need of new shoes and will likely get identical ones to what I am using now, but didn't know if I should walk in the new ones for a couple of weeks to break them in before running or start right out with running in new ones?
  • Just_Ceci
    Just_Ceci Posts: 5,926 Member
    Options
    Non-displaced stress fracture. :neutral:
  • rusgolden
    Options
    Just_Ceci wrote: »
    Non-displaced stress fracture. :neutral:

Bummer! How long are you out of commission?
  • taeliesyn
    Options
    @rusgolden The hydration side of things is personal, climate and fitness dependant. I can quite comfortably do up to 10miles without anything almost year round, and if I keep it at an easy pace, could do a HM without hydration on a cool day.
    For 'shorter' runs, instead of the hassle of a hydration pack, look into a 'fuel belt' (that's a brand name, but will let you get the idea) you can carry 2-4 small bottles of water/hydration on a belt, and even have room for gels/keys/phone in some cases.

On the shoes, if they're the same make and model, just strap them on and out the door. Actually even if they were a completely different make and model, still just head straight out the door, just plan a shorter run. It's actually NOT good to walk in running shoes any more than you have to.

@Just_Ceci bugger! At least it's non displaced.... I'm trying to find an upside for you! :)
  • Just_Ceci
    Just_Ceci Posts: 5,926 Member
    Options
    Doctor didn't give me a timeline, only that when it stops hurting, it is healed. Oddly, running hurts more than cycling. I'm not doing either though for a while.
  • NancyN795
    Options
    W1D2 Timed done. My distance this time was a little less - 3.26 miles. However, today my run was 1) after we'd taken our 5 mile walk; 2) after breakfast; and 3) 4 hours later in the day than on Monday, so it was warmer out, although not blazing hot.

I was slower on the uphill portion today, but I didn't turn around until I reached the same point as Monday. As a result, I only had to double back a little bit at the end. The disadvantage of running less than 2 hours after our walk showed in a couple of ways. One was that I really had to use some willpower to keep at it, especially on the uphill portion and during the last run interval. The other was that when I slowed to a walk before the last run interval, my legs felt a lot like jelly. Usually they wait until I get to the cool down walk to feel like that.
  • MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    Options
    So I'm nearly at the end of my marathon plan, just finished the final taper run. There have been various upheavals in the last few weeks so not as consistent as I'd have liked, but I've got lots of miles in the bank and I'm feeling pretty comfortable.

The race is about 28 miles, exact distances are challenging in Dorset, and has 1000m of elevation, so it's going to be pretty ugly.

• juliet3455
    juliet3455 Posts: 3,015 Member
    edited June 2016
    Options
    taeliesyn wrote: »
    Good work @NancyN795, and trust me that wont be the last time you double back to make distance or time with your running! Sounds like it's going well for you :)

NancyN795 Just wait - you will be doing a run and realize you are at 2.8km and you circle your Block 100m out and 100m back to get the nice round 3.0km. B)

@rusgolden I agree with every thing @taeliesyn said.
    Hydration is personal, climate and fitness dependant. I can quite comfortably do up to 10 Km without anything almost year round, at an easy pace. On a HM race I only need one glass of water on a cool day. At Organized Races check the Race Map for how many Hydration Stations there are. You may not need to carry any Hydration.
    I am not a fan of Hydration Back Packs due to the Heat retention, Chaffing hazard and increased weight, prefer the 'fuel belts' small and simple at the Hips. If you have any running club friends ask to borrow theirs as a "Test".

Good Shoes never need a break in. I always plan a shorter run for new shoes in case they have a structural/model fault. Nothing like having on a new pair of shoes and being 10km out and they start to bite the foot. My new shoes usually get a easy 5km, 2km speed session + 2km easy and then a 10km. If they pass all three tests they go into my general rotation. If not I take them back and explain the problem to my shoe store.

@Just_Ceci Felling your pain and frustration :( . Nursing a torn Calf muscle right now. My last test run lasted 58 seconds before I dropped back to a walk. :'(
  • NancyN795
    Options
    juliet3455 wrote: »
    NancyN795 Just wait - you will be doing a run and realize you are at 2.8km and you circle your Block 100m out and 100m back to get the nice round 3.0km.

The closest thing we have to a "block" where I live is a 6 mile loop! And, I don't care to do it because it involves 2 miles on a busy road with minimal shoulders (we walked it once, and that was enough). I also have a rule that I won't run on our driveway - it's too rough and steep in one spot and I don't want to discover there's a rattlesnake sunning itself on it when I'm running (did that once, don't want to do it again). So, my running route is strictly "out and back" on our nice, quiet (but steep in places) road.

I hate hearing about the injuries that some people are having! I hope your calf muscle and @Just_Ceci's shin splint clear up quickly. I've had my knees give me pretty bad pain in the past - before I started running - and that is my biggest worry about running. My mother has had both knees replaced and my sister needs to have both knees replaced. I don't want that to happen to me.
  • NancyN795
    Options
    W1D3 Timed done. I was faster today - probably because I hadn't gone for a 5 mile walk up the hill first. I went further up the hill this time after it said I was halfway, but I ended up doubling back even further at the end of the run. Total distance (excluding warm up and cool down) 3.39 miles for a pace of 12:58.
  • rusgolden
    Options
    NancyN795 wrote: »
    W1D3 Timed done. I was faster today - probably because I hadn't gone for a 5 mile walk up the hill first. I went further up the hill this time after it said I was halfway, but I ended up doubling back even further at the end of the run. Total distance (excluding warm up and cool down) 3.39 miles for a pace of 12:58.

Great job! Looks like we're on the same schedule... just finished the same. My pace has gotten worse since I started on Tuesday, but I think today it was mainly due to having walked 3+ miles beforehand and also ran later than I had been so was quite a bit warmer.
  • NancyN795
    Options
    Did W2D1 timed. I got to the top of the hill before turning around! I still find it hard to believe that I can actually run like this. It just amazes me. Not only that I can do it, but I don't hate it and I feel good afterwards. I'm not wiped out for the rest of the day.

Anyway, my distance today was 3.89 miles for a pace of 13:07 (4.57 mph). I did drop to a walk about 30 seconds before the end of the 2nd run interval - this was at the steepest part of the hill, where the grade is somewhere around 15%. (If I'd realized I had so little time left, maybe I could have toughed it out.) I felt really good towards the end of the 3rd run interval, like I could run forever, but by the time I got near the end of the 4th (last) run interval, I was really ready to stop. I think I'll complete week 2 of the timed version and then start over using the distance version (which would tack on almost another 1/2 mile onto what I did today).
  • MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    Options
    So after a couple of days to recover, some thoughts on my first marathon.

I raced the Giants Head Marathon on Saturday, a hilly trail race with about 1000metres of elevation over about 28 miles of mixed terrain. Nine hills, covered in a range of deep grass, rough gravel, flint and rocks.

I camped on site, driving down on Friday evening and back on Sunday after a short, 4km, race as a bit of fun.

There were maybe 8-10 doing their first marathon, and about 350 starters. Only three DNFs. Right at the beginning the RD asked about those of us doing our first marathons, which led to a fair amount of comment about not reading the course description, although someone else observed that I was clearly a trail runner... We also had someone doing her 100th, and a fair few rapidly approaching that point.

My plan was to stop at every aid station, and to keep a close eye on my pace throughout. So the latter point was all about identifying runners in the same pace range, and sticking with them.

I managed to maintain a steady average of 6:30/km for about the first 21 miles, walking the steeper climbs and running the flats and descents, I then struggled a bit, pretty much as expected. The next mile was the worst, really feeling down and with a bit of hamstring pain. At that point I reached the final big aid station, known as the Lovestation. So I stopped for a few minutes, and replenished with some cider, flat coke, flapjack and cake, before starting on the move again. I think the rest did me some good, as I managed to pick up the pace again, although not as fast as before. That lasted about 2 more miles before I was hit by another steep uphill that I really didn't recover from. We also had some quite cold rain, which didn't really help the motivation.

While the uphills were very hard work, the descents were as bad. Many were very steep, so fast but quite jarring.

So with three miles left to go I was walking fast, and picking up the pace on occasion. At this point I was very fortunate that others were in a similar situation and we ended up chatting, and moving one another along.

At the final aid station, at about 25 miles, there was a brief stop, and then from there it was another three miles pretty much straight downhill.

The finish line was a big relief, but it was an excellent race. Very much a huge challenge for the first one, so lots of lessons to reflect on moving forward.

Putting the experience in perspective, the fastest runner as 3:57, and the only sub 4:00. I landed in the middle of the pack with a 6:08:03, which was initially a bit disappointing. Given the race, it was a solid result, with the final runners coming in beyond 8 hours.

On Sunday morning we had a small race, raising a bit of money for the local church fund. A short, sharp uphill, a challenge at the top and then get given our medals; a proper cowbell. Followed by a run down the descent with the cowbells ringing away.

It's worth higlighting that the medal is the Cerne Abbas Giant, that we ran past on the route, and part of it spins round... :)

7olhrvcw3io4.jpg

• NancyN795
    Options
    Did W2D2 timed. I was slower today, but didn't prematurely drop to a walk, either. Distance today was 3.79 miles for a pace of 13:27. I also did a much better job of estimating where to turn around. I finished about where I began, without doubling back.
  • rusgolden
    Options
    Did W2D2 timed. I was slower today, but didn't prematurely drop to a walk, either. Distance today was 3.79 miles for a pace of 13:27. I also did a much better job of estimating where to turn around. I finished about where I began, without doubling back.

Great job! I did this one yesterday and doing D3 tomorrow (weather permitting). For your distance, does that include the warm-up and cool-down as well or just the 3 segments of run 15, walk 1? Just curious because I've been not starting my GPS/MapMyFitness app until the run begins and stopping when I finish the last run so I get a better gauge of my pace.
  • NancyN795
    Options
    rusgolden wrote: »

Great job! I did this one yesterday and doing D3 tomorrow (weather permitting). For your distance, does that include the warm-up and cool-down as well or just the 3 segments of run 15, walk 1? Just curious because I've been not starting my GPS/MapMyFitness app until the run begins and stopping when I finish the last run so I get a better gauge of my pace.

I'm using RunDouble, so the program is slightly different, I think. Week 2 has me doing 4 runs of 12 minutes with 1 minute walks in between. The distance and pace I posted is excluding the warm up and cool down. One thing I like about RunDouble is that it's "all-in-one" - it maps the run, records my heart rate, pace, etc. without needing other apps. Then, I can look at it later online. Here's a link to my last run, so you can see the online info it gives: http://www.rundouble.com/run/5865930299015168/dhUWtYrk0w

I do record the run in MMF as well, so I can track the mileage on my shoes, but I can do that by importing the .gpx file from RunDouble, so I don't have to start up two apps.