Running accountability!

Options
I noticed there are lots of runners in this group so I figured a thread where we could report our daily running might be helpful!
I am doing the Couch to 5k program and I am on day 2 of week 2. I plan on running this evening after work and I will report as soon as I do :) My running days will be Monday, Thursday and Saturday. If you don't see me post a run on those days PLEASE hold me accountable!!!
Heather:laugh:

Replies

• Runningcircuits
    Options
    Hi Heather:

I started running with C25K three years ago (maybe 4?) and it worked great. I did in fact run a 5K at the end of it and have now run about 6 of them. I now run 3 miles about 5 days/week. It is as much mental as physical for me - I love my running time.
    No set schedule for me because my work schedule changes week to week, but I am committed to running 4-5 days per week, then doing weights and circuit training 1-2 days per week, then taking 1 day off each week.

I'll track my running here and we'll hold each other accountable. I look forward to seeing your progress with the program. Good luck!

Get a great music playlist! It makes all the difference for me!

-Jen
  • hotmamatodd
    hotmamatodd Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    Hi Ladies.
    I started running in the Spring to break through a weight-loss plateau. The scale still hasn't moved but my body surely has! Inches upon inches have been shed and I feel fantastic! As the Mom to 5 young children, I have a very tight running schedule. It is squeezed in the early morning between my husband's gym time and his leaving for work. Currently, I run 8km, 3 days per week and work hard to get a longer run in on the weekend.
    I just finished my first 10km roadrace and thought I would die! But I finished and am now looking forward to another. Would love to hear how you guys fuel before and after running, other supportive exercises you do and anything else you have to share with this newbie!
    I also have a gym membership to the YMCA that I would love to find time to use. Thinking of yoga classes and some weight training.

Good luck and keep in touch!
    Rebecca
  • hoshaugh73
    hoshaugh73 Posts: 255 Member
    Options
    I'm a runner, too! I'm currently not training for any scheduled runs, but am looking. Currently I run 2-3 times a week, usually 5-7 miles. I wouldn't mind starting a training prgram with someone? Anyone interested in a marathon distance training?
  • knitapeace
    knitapeace Posts: 1,013 Member
    Options
    Hi all! I started C25K last September and completed the course just in time for the New York winter to hit. I didn't run a step for three months, then picked up again the first of March. I'm now running about 3 miles every other day. I usually run along with the Zombies, Run! app, but I'm giving that a break and doing the 9 week "Run for Fat Loss" program on RunKeeper. I'm on week 2. For a while there I was doing strength training on most off days but I hated it. Maybe after I complete the RunKeeper program I will add some strength stuff...after all, that NY winter is coming soon and I'll be happy to have a few indoor workouts every week.

Anyone who is an outdoor runner in a cold climate, what do you do during the deepest winter months? Treadmill? Gym? Suck it up and run outside?
  • halloweenie09
    halloweenie09 Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    I am also getting into running but not necessarily following any sort of program. Right now I am focusing on completing running and walking intervals that feel natural for my body. My goal is to decrease my overall 5K time by increasing my total run time and decreasing my total walk time. Right now I am alternating running 1 minute 30 second with 2 minutes walks for a total of 35 mins. Starting Saturday I will increase to 2 min runs with 2 min walks for 35 minutes.
    Will be running my first 5K Saturday September 28th which I super excited but also a little nervous about.
  • BeckyJo19
    BeckyJo19 Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    Hi everyone! I'm currently doing C25K...just finished week 7 today. :) I honestly didn't think I'd make it this far. And I for sure never thought I'd be able to run 27 minutes straight...which is what today was. I plan to do my first 5K on the 28th.
  • hotmamatodd
    Options
    Hi knitapeace! I live in Nova Scotia, Canada. We have beautiful Fall weather but very cold, icy, snowy winters which usually begin late November until March. This will be my first winter running as I only began in the Spring. I am definitely an 'outdoor' runner, but have a nice treadmill at home that I'm thinking I'll use to do some interval training and work on my speed in the deep of winter. Our local YMCA also has a great indoor track that I might try out. But I'm still hoping to try running outside on the not-so-bad days.

Good luck!
    Rebecca
  • Sunshinedreamr
    Options
    I love this thread! I started running (thanks to C25K) two years ago. During the spring, summer, and fall, I do really well and keep up with running 3 miles 3 times a week. My problem always comes when winter hits. It gets really cold here around Thanksgiving time, and I am noticing a yearly trend in myself, which is that I completely stop running in the winter time all together. I've promised myself that this year, I won't do that. I plan to run at the gym during the winter months (because I don't know if I could handle running outdoors in the cold air!) and I am sticking to it. :) Good luck to all of you on your runs -- especially to those of you doing C25K now. You'll have good runs and you'll have not-so-good runs, but if you stick to the program, you'll be so glad you did. Before I did C25K, I never ran at all. The thought of me running was laughable. Now, I can confidently say I'm a runner. I have run more 5K races than I can count, and I just ran my first 10K race last month. I love it. :)
    Jessica
  • hotmamatodd
    Options
    I love this thread! I started running (thanks to C25K) two years ago. During the spring, summer, and fall, I do really well and keep up with running 3 miles 3 times a week. My problem always comes when winter hits. It gets really cold here around Thanksgiving time, and I am noticing a yearly trend in myself, which is that I completely stop running in the winter time all together. I've promised myself that this year, I won't do that. I plan to run at the gym during the winter months (because I don't know if I could handle running outdoors in the cold air!) and I am sticking to it. :) Good luck to all of you on your runs -- especially to those of you doing C25K now. You'll have good runs and you'll have not-so-good runs, but if you stick to the program, you'll be so glad you did. Before I did C25K, I never ran at all. The thought of me running was laughable. Now, I can confidently say I'm a runner. I have run more 5K races than I can count, and I just ran my first 10K race last month. I love it. :)
    Jessica
  • hotmamatodd
    Options
    Good for you Jessica (Sunshinedream)! I just ran my first 10K race last weekend! It was rough as it was my first "race"...although I wasn't racing as much as praying for the finish line! I really wish I had run a 5K race as my first as it would have given me some experience on a shorter route. In any case, it is extremely rewarding and re-fires the engine to do more. We have a great running community here in NS and there are races all year long. Can't wait for the next!
    My husband says I'm a "real runner" now because I have a blackened toenail. Many people I talk to have lost a lot of toenails from running. Has this happened to any of you?

Jessica
    [/quote]
  • mommamia9211
    Options
    So glad you started this thread. I am also doing couch 2 5k and just now finished week 3 day 1. I am absolutely loving everything about this program. I started just a few weeks ago a complete non runner. I now look forward to evey day that I can finish a run. That truly is motivational for me. Although it may not help me to lose all the weight I would like, it is making me feel really good about myself. I can not wait to prove that I can be a runner and do a 5k!

I don't have set running days as I work 3 varied days a week and run on the days I am off, but I would love to check in after each run. Lets hold one another accountable!
  • zanne54
    zanne54 Posts: 336 Member
    Options
    I want to be a runner! I just restarted C25K last night; I had made it up to W7D2 in July, but then got too busy with other pursuits to be able to get up at 6 am and run before the humidity got to be too much.

I would *like* to run a 5K on Oct 27. If I can make sure I complete the program every other day between now & then, I can time my W8D3 with the actual run! No room for error, or procrastination! Registration deadline is Oct 24, so I'll see where I am in the program closer to the date.

If anybody's local & wants to run this, shoot me a PM: http://events.mec.ca/event/3937/mec-toronto-race-seven-5k-10k-15k-oct27
  • Runningcircuits
    Options
    Gorgeous day for a run! I got 4 miles in this morning and loved that it was finally not "sauna in hell" humid.

-Jen
  • HeatherZousel
    HeatherZousel Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    When I did my half-marathon I lost four toenails to training. They turned black then fell off. Not the most attractive look :) but I wore it with pride!
  • HeatherZousel
    HeatherZousel Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    So, yesterday I didn't get my run in. My daughter really struggles with her feet and we went to get her new shoes. Took an hour of trying on different running shoes but I think we found some. I am going to try to get in my run this evening after work. It will be a tight squeeze since I bowl tonight on a league :) dorky but fun
  • KemaVA
    KemaVA Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    I am doing an 8k in November. Training starts on the 21st. I've been traing to run a mile without feeling like I'm dying for the last few weeks. :-)

thighs-clapping_zps2bc3a7ca.png
  • Runningcircuits
    Options
    I am doing an 8k in November. Training starts on the 21st. I've been traing to run a mile without feeling like I'm dying for the last few weeks. :-)

thighs-clapping_zps2bc3a7ca.png

Made me laugh! Keep at it - I never, ever thought I could run run 1 mile non-stop. Up to 4 without a problem now.
  • mira2602
    mira2602 Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    I used to hate running, but kind of pushed yself into it and even thou I only jogg (cant' call it running yet), I started to loving it.

I can jogg for about 10-15 min, trying to make it up to an 30min. I would love to do some fun or muddy races sometines next year.
  • jessicaerin13
    Options
    I'll be starting the C25K today actually! I have a fun run 5k the end of October that I would like to do under 40 minutes.
  • Sunshinedreamr
    Options
    I'll be starting the C25K today actually! I have a fun run 5k the end of October that I would like to do under 40 minutes.

Good luck! You're gonna have a blast!

As for myself, I had every intention of running today, but woke up sick -- sore throat and head congestion. Ugh. Do you guys run while sick or wait till you're better?

Jessica