Running accountability!

Options

Replies

• HeatherZousel
    HeatherZousel Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    Wow @redredy9 Seriously? 19 miles? That is awesome...one day I will get there, but not too soon :) I start pushing to increase too fast and I will end up injuring myself (again).
    Everyone is doing so great getting their runs in. This group has really helped me to stay on track. I got my W4 D1 done yesterday (sort of) I went out to do the run. I even had it playing on my phone, but then I ignored the cues mostly and jogged the whole way plus some...I did use the cues some cause on the running intervals I increased my speed and on the walking portions I did a slower jog. I think for W4 D2 I will do the walking intervals so I can try to keep a faster pace during the jogging intervals. My goal is a 10 minute mile on the running intervals (maybe a little under 10).
    What helped this week is my kids introduced me to Spotify. I downloaded a whole bunch of military running cadences. Took me back to being a drill instructor at the prison bootcamp and really helped me to keep a steady pace with good breathing.
    Have a good day all!
  • zanne54
    zanne54 Posts: 336 Member
    Options
    Despite being up until 1 am after hockey last night, I still dragged my butt out of bed at 6:30 am. Completed W5D2 and was quite surprised to feel like I could have easily kept running! The next segment is the scary 20 min run without stopping. I know it's gonna suck, but I also know I can do it. And as Heather said - the tunes really do help!

And I figured out my pace today - I'M SLOW! 7:18 per km or 11:45 per mile. Good, in a way, to know that it will take me around 40 minutes to run a 5K. Bad, in a way, that it will take me 40 minutes...the C25K only takes you up to 30 minutes of running. Seriously, I'm a complete beginner, and you (general) expect me to run under 10 min per mile? Ya, good luck with that!
  • redredy9
    redredy9 Posts: 706 Member
    Options
    Good work everyone! Keep it up.

@HeatherZousel; definately plan on increasing distance slowly to avoid injury. It took me a few years of running consistently to build a base before gradually starting to increase my distance.

Tonight I run with my training group which is always challenging but fun. We are planning about 4-5 miles of hill work. :love:
  • knitapeace
    knitapeace Posts: 1,013 Member
    Options
    Today's Runkeeper program called for me to run 50 minutes. This didn't include the 5 minute warmup or cooldown, so I ended being on the road for 60 minutes, 50 of those I was running. That's the most I've ever done. My final distance including warmup and cooldown was 4.75 miles. Again, the most I've ever done. I feel amazing and powerful.

What I'm learning is that without a training program I was going out 3-4 times a week and running for 30 minutes (or thereabout) with the Zombies Run app. I was making no real effort to improve time or distance, just getting out there and flailing around the neighborhood in the dark. And I think that was good for me then, since I had never run before and had only been doing so seriously since March. However now I'm seeing improvement, and I want to see more. So I think having a plan is the way to go. Gives me something to look forward to after the Run for Fat Loss training is complete!
  • HeatherZousel
    HeatherZousel Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    My husband uses Runkeeper and really likes it. I think after I finish the C25K program I may just do it again only use it as an interval trainer to increase my speed. I know I can do long slow distance but I never really challenged myself to increase pace (it is so uncomfortable!) Nice Job on your longest run ever!!!
  • Runningcircuits
    Options
    @knitapeace - I think I am ready to challenge myself to something new, so thank you for the recommendation. I will try the app!

I started 30DS a few days ago, so I am running a little less so I can squeeze it all in every day. Short runs are still runs and I'm really glad my arms don't have to come to the party because Jillian is slowly destroying them. My coffee cup feels heavy!

2.5 miles today after 30DS.
  • redredy9
    Options
    4.1 easy miles today. It was a freaky 80 degrees here today and i was tempted to skip the run and go up to the roof with some wine but when I got home I had new running shoes waiting for me. It was a sign! Glad I ran.
  • taschulz
    taschulz Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    A pretty good week of running....I left the house this morning in the rain, and almost turned around, but decided to try it. Ten minutes in it stopped raining and was an awesome run (minus running from a couple of dogs lol but that gave me the adrenaline I needed at mile 3 to finish 4 miles haha) One of my miles was under the 9 min. mark, a new record for me!! I think tomorrow I will have to work out on the treadmill, the forecast says we are supposed to get 6-12 inches of snow and we live close to the mountains so it will be closer to 12. I will do a HIT workout, which I love, and it hopefully helps decrease my times. I do 20 sec as fast as I can, (around 7.5) then hop onto the rails for 10 sec. (My treadmill is super simple otherwise I would slow the pace to about 4 for 10 sec) It is super fun! I love running outside and am really not ready to move indoors, but I am also lucky that I have a treadmill and elliptical at home. Hopefully I will get outside on Saturday for a longer run. Have a great week everyone! Keep on movin'!!!
  • redredy9
    Options
    Had amazing run tonight.

Literally ran into running group for Nike store and joined them in their run. Got lots of good info will be doing a planned run with them soon. Then I met a nice runner that led me directly to the East river park. then best of all once i got over the Brooklyn bridge I ran into a free GZA concert and met a cute guy! :love: :heart: :glasses:

BEST RUN EVER!! 8.2 miles.
  • taschulz
    taschulz Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    I found an interesting article that some of you may enjoy. I am not an experienced runner, so many of you probably know all of this...but it gives some great tips on variety and increased calorie burns.

http://beta.active.com/running/Articles/How-to-Burn-More-Calories-on-Your-Run?page=1
  • zanne54
    Options
    Wow, everybody is posting such amazing runs! I almost feel like a poser here, reporting in about my measly C25K progress. Maybe one day I can run that long...but for now, a short 5K is a long enough distance for me!

Despite another late game where I didn't get to bed until after 1 am, I got up at 6:30 am again for the very scary W5D3. 20 minutes without stopping. Eek! But I managed to do it, and I estimate it was about a 2.8K run. So I'm getting there - slowly but surely!
  • redredy9
    Options
    Wow, everybody is posting such amazing runs! I almost feel like a poser here, reporting in about my measly C25K progress. Maybe one day I can run that long...but for now, a short 5K is a long enough distance for me!

Don't feel like a poser. No matter how far or how fast we run, we are all runners! I was once a newbie runner too and started building distance slowly. You are already much better than I am at getting up to run on little sleep!

Congrats on 20 minutes non-stop! :drinker:
  • Sweet_Pandora
    Sweet_Pandora Posts: 459 Member
    Options
    5km lunch hour run form me today!

Karen
  • Runningcircuits
    Options
    Had amazing run tonight.

Literally ran into running group for Nike store and joined them in their run. Got lots of good info will be doing a planned run with them soon. Then I met a nice runner that led me directly to the East river park. then best of all once i got over the Brooklyn bridge I ran into a free GZA concert and met a cute guy! :love: :heart: :glasses:

BEST RUN EVER!! 8.2 miles.

Congrats on the awesome run! My favorite part was you meeting a cute man!
  • Sweet_Pandora
    Sweet_Pandora Posts: 459 Member
    Options
    10 km run today enjoying the colourful leaves of fall.

Karen
  • zanne54
    Options
    Stupidhead that I am, I messed up my alarm this morning and slept in. I may do it tonight instead, but am unsure if that would be wise to run at 6 pm and then play hockey at 10.
  • knitapeace
    knitapeace Posts: 1,013 Member
    Options
    I RAN FIVE MILES TODAY!!! CAN I MAKE THE FONT ANY BIGGER??? CAN I MAKE IT RED??? I RAN FIVE MILES TODAY!!!!

Okay, done screaming. But I wanted to come on and share with everyone that I ran five miles today. Oh and also, I ran five miles today. I may be more excited over this than is warranted. But I hear you can act a little weird after you've run five miles for the first time ever.

I ran five miles today.

Squee!!
  • redredy9
    Options
    I RAN FIVE MILES TODAY!!! CAN I MAKE THE FONT ANY BIGGER??? CAN I MAKE IT RED??? I RAN FIVE MILES TODAY!!!!

Okay, done screaming. But I wanted to come on and share with everyone that I ran five miles today. Oh and also, I ran five miles today. I may be more excited over this than is warranted. But I hear you can act a little weird after you've run five miles for the first time ever.

I ran five miles today.

Squee!!

:flowerforyou: :drinker: :bigsmile: :love: :flowerforyou: CONGRATS!! :flowerforyou: :love: :happy: :drinker: :flowerforyou:
  • Runningcircuits
    Options

I ran five miles today.

Squee!!

I'm freaking out for you!! Congratulations!! That is a major accomplishment and I hope you are really proud of yourself because you absolutely earned the heck out of it!
  • redredy9
    Options
    I thought about flaking out on running tonight earlier today but now that its time to go home I am actually feeling pretty excited about running. I am going to change, leash up my dog and hit the park!