Running accountability!

Options

Replies

• Runningcircuits
    Options
    Did my long run yesterday. Only needed 8 miles, but my partner kept going because she needed to make up a few miles from the week. Ended up doing 13.25 in 1.58. Pinky toe was tender yesterday. I can do some elliptical on this off day to stay burning. Its Monday! Lets go!

Nice distance! I hope to get there some day. Congrats!
  • knitapeace
    knitapeace Posts: 1,013 Member
    Options
    Check in! Still slow and steady over here. I've been reading a book called "Running with the Mind of Meditation" because I want to start meditating more, and evidently this writer advocates running with no electronic input so you can get a kind of meditation on the go. Multitasking your meditation kind of sounds like it defeats the purpose, but I'm willing to give it a try lol. Anyway, he talks about how when he began running he was told it takes a year or two to build a "base." Having only been running consistently since March, and feeling a little down about the fact that I only run about a 12 minute mile on average, it cheered me up to think that I still have a ways to go before I consider my base built!

Also, I did 3x3 intervals today. 3 minutes fast followed by 3 minutes steady. Did I have to stop and walk once in a while? Yes. But when I went into RunKeeper afterward and looked at my splits, one of my fast intervals was 10:27!! A 30 minute 5K is my first big goal and that would almost get me there if I could keep it up for the entire run. So that's encouraging progress.

Also, the fall time change will be here in the US soon, and it will feel like I get to sleep in an entire hour, hurray! :)
  • HeatherZousel
    HeatherZousel Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    Got W3 D2 of C25K done this morning. Thanks in large part to this group....didn't want to report another failure to my workout buddies!
  • kbolton322
    kbolton322 Posts: 358 Member
    Options
    I did day 2 of week 2 for couch to 5k last night... I'm planning to do a 5k Nov 1st... I know its durning the program but I'm going out to do it for fun...
  • Runningcircuits
    Options
    Congrats to the c25k folks who are progressing! That is awesome - keep at it. I think I passed a point in the last month where I am officially a running addict. I am going to work on my speed now.
    Keep going and we'll enjoy a good addiction together!
  • Rastamann
    Rastamann Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    Looking good everyone and keep at it. I got my workout in today. Running bleachers. Hardest thing I do all week I think. So I'm resting until my 5k on Saturday.
  • MelonGG
    MelonGG Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    Just completed my first week of couch to 5km... I think this running habit is the perfect addiction for me.. I still love kickboxing but it's great to be outside.
  • taschulz
    taschulz Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    Been a great running week. I am doing a marathon training, and decided I needed to back up a week. It felt good to accomplish runs without having to stop, or get frustrated with super slow times. I worked on pacing myself, on one of my shorter runs, I got below 10 min mile average. Unbelievable! but super fun. I also found some new trails close to home which has been great in this nice fall weather. I started c25k last fall, and for those of you who are just starting, don't get discouraged. There were times that I repeated weeks because I judged it was better to be able to complete the run, than stop and feel like I failed. For probably a month last winter I ran 3 min walk 1.5. Then I repeated that when I went from the treadmill to running outdoors. After a short time you will be able to look back and see your accomplishments! Keep running and thanks for all your sharings, it helps keep me motivated. Good luck to everyone who is running a race this weekend.
  • knitapeace
    knitapeace Posts: 1,013 Member
    Options
    Absolutely echoing taschulz, if you stick with it you will be AMAZED when you look back and see all you've accomplished. I am...I'm trying to think of a word that captures this feeling...gobsmacked that I have come as far as I have in just one short year (after quitting for 4 months in the winter, even). I never in a million years dreamed I would be a runner. I can't wait to see what comes next.

Today was my longest run ever, 4.5 miles. Slow, yes, but I did it and I'm feeling so proud.
  • zanne54
    zanne54 Posts: 336 Member
    Options
    @HeatherZousel – great job! Keep it up!

@kcrow4102 – I’m in the same boat – my 5K is Oct 27, and I’m tight on time to get through the C25K program before then. So, on days I feel good/have time, I’ve been doubling up on segments. Ie I do the warm up, that day’s set of intervals then skip ahead to the following day, skip the warm up, do that day’s set of intervals, and complete the cooldown. I’m doing this at the lower days when it’s still easy enough for me to do it. Of course, if you don’t feel ready with your cardio or your leg strength, don’t risk injury. But it’s been working for me so far. Maybe because I started the C25K in May and dropped it in July when it got too hot/I got too busy.

@rastamann – running bleachers sounds TERRIBLE! ;) Good luck on your 5K!

@MelonGG – congrats! I’m trying to get myself addicted to running too. Great exercise, can do it at any time, anywhere.

@tashultz – awesome!

@knitapeace – wow 4.5 miles! I’m creeping up on one measly kilometer. It’s so motivating to hear another new runner making achievements – it inspires me to not give up!

So, I ran a LOT this week. That 5K on Oct 27 is fast-approaching, and I need to be mentally prepared for it. So, as I’m still in the low weeks of C25K, I’ve been trying to catch up on missed running days/get ahead of schedule but doubling, or, tripling up on the program. On Monday, I ran all of W3 back to back. It was a bit of a challenge, but I felt really good while doing it. The lots of walking made it easier.

Yesterday I ran W4D1 and W4D2 – not gonna lie; it was tough. I “endured” those 5 minute run segments, thanks to cranking my tunes, playing games with myself (get to the fire hydrant, ok, now get to that parked car, ok, now the stop sign, ok, until the song ends, ok, oh hey, the segment is over!), and just being too stubborn to stop.

I’ve caught up just enough, that if I run one segment every other day, I’ll “graduate” on the 25th. JUST in time for the race on the 27th. However, I’d like to build in a little more buffer zone should I miss a day for some reason, so I’ll likely try to do one more “double” day. Obviously, if I feel I’m going to hurt myself, I’ll stop immediately.

In other news, doing the C25K has improved my cardio immensely, and strengthened my legs and those improvements have crossed over in to my hockey, which is AWESOME! Especially because I play on a men’s team. I can’t wait for my ladies’ season to start – I’m going to dominate! :D
  • redredy9
    redredy9 Posts: 706 Member
    Options
    Hi Everybody!

Good work on all your runs!

I am feeling spectacularly unmotivated. I am in training for my 3rd marathon and just feel like I've lost the spark. I am hoping to get it back. My training this cycle has been woefully subpar.

I think I am feeling a combination of bored (its my 3rd marathon in less than 365 days so my 3rd round of marathon training in less than a year), frustrated and overwhelmed. My IRL running buddies are all super gung ho and doint amazing but instead of using that as encouragement - I feel like I am acting like a stubborn kid and refusing to play if I can't win. :embarassed:

My long runs are going OK. Not great but I am getting through them and staying on pace. I've had 2 terrible long runs (2nd 10 & first 16) and skipped 1 long run (2nd 16) due to injury. Its mid-week that I've been bonking. I do speed work consistently but have only been doing 1-2 other runs a week. :sad:

I have just about 5 weeks left until race day and am praying that will be enough time to turn it around. This weekend I am scheduled to do my first 20 of this cycle but I am coming of a minor injury so I am going to go for 15 and then assess how I feel. Today is a rest day but I've only done one 4 mile run in the past two weeks.

Sorry to be such a Debbie Downer. Hopefully I be reporting back with a much improved attitude tomorrow after my run
  • Saragirl2
    Saragirl2 Posts: 630 Member
    Options
    Just finished wk 1 and it wasn't so bad. Day 3 was fun (pant, pant). I like having the trainer to listen to for the cues. I haven't picked a 5k event yet but I'm sure I will. Are there any REAL early morning runners out there? Just curious to know how you get out so early.
  • Saragirl2
    Saragirl2 Posts: 630 Member
    Options
    That's awesome that you did 4.5 miles - way to go!
  • Runningcircuits
    Options
    @zanne54 - it sounds like you have such a great attitude and are kicking some serious butt! Keep at it and you will do great in that 5k. I used to play those run to the next tree" games with myself, too. They work!

To all the new c25k people: you will also love how much being in a pack of people can keep you going. The adrenaline of standing around at the start line waiting for the starter's pistol to go off will carry you really far.

@redredy9 - I have never run as far as you, not even close. I think it is spectacular that you are in marathon training at all. I wish I had some magic words to help your motivation. Maybe a new playlist? Maybe a runner's treat, like some new shoes or those day-glo socks all the kids are wearing now?! :)

Ok, the "all the kids are wearing now" comment is making me feel very old. Seriously, though - I don't get the neon or black socks pulled way up to mid-calf. But I was a young girl in the 80s and I'm sure my crimped hair made my mom say WTF, too.
  • redredy9
    Options
    19 miles today! Man alive am I sore! My training plan called for 20 this weekend but as I just came off a foot injury and missed last weeks 16 miler. I am super happy I was able to do 19! I am on couch rest for the rest of the afternoon!!

New after run treat: organic chocolate milk from farmers market at the end of my run, 1 scoop double chocolate whey protein and a few ice cubes all blended up in the blender. YUM!

@sloB: Great advice! I ordered some new Asics gel-nimbus and a few long sleeve running tops! Thanks for the great advice. I feel much better after this long run.

Hope everyone is having great runs this weekend too! It's gorgeous here in NYC!

ETA: why does Asics always make it wide width versions in the lamest color combination available for that particular model. I like the super bright funky colors not the conservative ones. Oh well. My wide foot requires function over fashion.
  • Rastamann
    Rastamann Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    Its saturday and everyone looks like they're putting up good numbers. I ran a PR today in a 5k at 21:56. Its exactly 1 min faster than my last PR. Super happy.
  • KemaVA
    KemaVA Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    I am training for an 8k. Today was week 2 and we did 2 miles. My Cardio trainer app shows that I ran at a 5mph pace. I am pleased with that pace as it included traffic. I ran 1.6miles on Thursday at a 5.5mph pace in a park. I had a partner much faster than me. I think this really helped my pace.
  • zanne54
    zanne54 Posts: 336 Member
    Options
    Wow, great to see everyone having such good runs! Keep it up!

I was way too hungover yesterday to do my planned run, so I went biking with my husband instead. A year ago, I would have sat in the backyard and drank beer to get over it; now, I go sweat it out!

So, today I did another double of C25K - W4D3 and W5D1. Not too sure how many more doubles I can do as the program is getting more and more difficult with longer and longer runs. Will keep on working at it though.

And surprise - my ladies hockey starts tomorrow night! I'm looking forward to the skate, but am disappointed they put me on a new team. I hope I like the girls. And if I don't? Well, you can't get a penalty for taking out your own teammate. :D
  • redredy9
    Options
    4 mile recovery run today. It really helped shake out my aches and soreness from yesterdays 19.

I was tempted to stay in and "forget" i was supposed to run but my coach reposted something another runner wrote about finding inspiration for going on their recovery run and I had to get out and log my miles too!

Now I am fighting urge not to have a glass of wine.
  • Runningcircuits
    Options
    Everyone is kicking butt out there! I've had some gorgeous runs in the past week that to the awesome fall colors. This season is far too short. I still don't know if I am a winter runner - I will find out far too soon.

@redredy9 - way to go on the long run! You seem ready for the race. I love that your recovery run is my daily run - lol. Finally, I do ot fight the urge for wine. If I have the calories to spare, I have the wine. Perhaps that's wrong...