Check in

Options

Replies

• 10manda86
    10manda86 Posts: 229 Member
    Options
    I can sympathise with the 'that time of the month' binge... happens to me all the time! I have found 2 things that help. The first is going to the gym, after working hard all I can focus on is putting healthy fuel into my body! The second hint, a personal trainer told me once, and it works, that if you feel 'hungry' in the afternoons, it isn't eating time and you have nothing else to do then go have a sleep. 20/30 mins to refuel, your body seeks high calorie foods for a quick energy fix, a sleep does the same thing but makes you feel better for longer. I do this on the weekends as my secret weapon. If I'm still peckish when I wake it is usually time for my afternoon snack, there is a lot of time between lunch and the afternoon snack some days!
  • MickeyBoo
    MickeyBoo Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    I hate hormonal binges too! Its the one time that I just feel awful no matter what I do.

Big Positive from yesterdays bad mood, I had worked the wine and icecream into my day, but got to 9pm and realised that I hadn't even thought about it and didn't want it, so took it out of my day. Big step in the right direction for me, I usually wake up Saturday and just want food food and more food, but I feel really good today and don't feel like raiding the cupboards.
  • karriechambers
    karriechambers Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    This is my first day in the group and so far so good, about 3 hours to go until bedtime but these are the most tempting 3 hours for me, hoping that by saying it to others I can stick to my guns and make it through. Though when it's close to "that time of the month" these next few hours are very difficult!
  • Nix_Way
    Nix_Way Posts: 201 Member
    Options
    YAAAAAAAAYYYYY!! Its 11:30 at night and I'm proud to say I made it thru the day and evening with out giving in!! It was touch and go for a few hours, but I'm practicing for November. Its only about a week away!

I'm glad to know I'm not the only one who gets the Time Of Month binges!! Its insane!!! Stupid hormones!! GRRRR!! :mad:
  • VanillaBeanSeed
    VanillaBeanSeed Posts: 562 Member
    Options
    Its only 5PM where I am, but I have been having cravings like nobodys business since late last night! Around 11PM I was thisclose to binging!! I wanted EVERYTHING! Thank goodness we have like.. nothing in the house to tempt me!! I didn't eat anything but some radishes to fill me up so YAAAAAYYY about that!

So yeah.. I don't know why I'm wanting to just eat everything.. it might be hormone related tho.. sigh. Stinkin time of month!! :grumble:
    I've made room in my daily calorie goal to have an Arbys Turkey & Swiss wrap with extra lettuce and onion, ( according to the site its 490 cals) so I still have something to look forward to tonight without going over my cal goal!

I will stay strong and not binge!! Promise! :happy:

Time of the month is killer for me as well. I feel like I just want to eat everything in sight.. Id probably eat dirt if it had a little chocolate on it! :wink:
    The second hint, a personal trainer told me once, and it works, that if you feel 'hungry' in the afternoons, it isn't eating time and you have nothing else to do then go have a sleep. 20/30 mins to refuel, your body seeks high calorie foods for a quick energy fix, a sleep does the same thing but makes you feel better for longer. I do this on the weekends as my secret weapon.

I need to remember this! THanks!
  • VanillaBeanSeed
    Options
    So, ate nice and light for breakfast and lunch yesterday so that me and my boyfriend could enjoy a night out at a new place in town.
    Got a kick *kitten* workout in and burned some cals to also cover for our treat.

I used MFP database to estimate on all the calories and came up JUST under my goal. 5 cals remaining =)

We went to a new Pub in town. I had fish and chips! Counted all my ketchup and tartar sauce (just remembered I forgot to count the coleslaw! AHH oh well, it was like 2 table spoons! haha)

Came home and managed to not carry on from a treat to a full blown binge.

I feel so in control. =)
  • MsMischief
    MsMischief Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    I'm doing rather well this week. I haven't logged most days (I need to be better at that!) but between a yoghurt, oatmeal or tuna patties for breakfast, a small homemade sarnie for lunch and single serving dinners (and two biccies with my tea) I definitively haven't been bingeing.

Yesterday I even did something I normally don't - I left food on my plate. There were about 4-5 chips left, and I left them. Even if my boyfriend spent another 10 minutes eating (and offered me the last of his burger, which I declined), even if I am really, really against wasting food - I left them. All the leftovers were recycled in the food bin and we shared a guinness.

Now, what food the weekend will bring will be curious, but I've lost half an inch on all measurements except my waistline - where I've lost a full inch! Happy times.
  • JustMeee333
    Options
    TOM binges are a killer for me too, they'll usually start a few days, to a week before and then I want to eat everything in sight, tend not to feel hungry at all when it actually is TOM though. :huh:
  • MickeyBoo
    MickeyBoo Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    So after doing well to avoid binging out on kettle corn the last two days my 'lovely' husband went to work yesterday and came home with 3 x 1/2kg bags of the stuff as well as my favourite potato chips. So of course willpower fled the building and I ate wayyyy too much popcorn,, around 300gm of the 500gm bag :embarassed: I logged it all and ended up going well and truly over my calories for the day. Who knew that 300gm of popcorn would be over 1000 calories!!!! :noway:

The only saving grace is that I didn't eat the damn chips as well! So annoyed at myself and also at him right now, he is feeling very insecure about his weight and hasn't been overly supportive so far about my weight loss, I don't know whether he's testing me or trying to sabotage me so that he can feel better about himself :grumble:
  • Nix_Way
    Options
    I did good again today. I had to fight an urge to just go buck wild today tho! I just keep telling myself that " I only have to do this for today. If I want to eat whatever I want tomorrow, I can."
    Of course by the next day the craving usually has gone away and I'm prepared to fight it. This strategy has worked for me since I have started this journey most of the time. There have always been days where I tell the voice saying "just for today Nix" to jump off a bridge! But it usually works to play this mind game with myself.
  • puckit61
    puckit61 Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    Hello, Group newbie!
    I'll begin with a little backround-

bad day here. I was doing awesome on counting calories until I transferred colleges. Now I have a required food plan which doesn't allow me to have 100% control of what I eat and how much during the week and every other weekend. After taking a break for a bit trying to adjust to my new life, I quit MFP. It's caught up with me.

I'm back to using MFP, and today went AWESOME until I had a three and a half hour break between work shifts. I started off healthy with almonds and an apple. But then I ate the rest of the cream cheese frosting. (which was still okay calorie wise.) But then I decided to snack on peanut butter & wasa bread. I ate two. Then starbursts candy corn. A lot. My thought process with junk food is the sooner I eat it, the faster it's gone and I won't have it to be tempted. I know that's failed logic and it's bad that I think this way. And that it's fine to have in small quantities. I've been using MFP since January, but it's harder this time. Much harder,

To make matters worse I then ate dinner at work. Mac & cheese, tuna sandwich, tofu stir fry, cream cheese on low cal bread and two oatmeal cookies. Thinking about the progress I've made and how much I enjoy being the size that I am now, isn't enough to fight the cravings. At the moment I just want to food. I always immediately regret it afterwards though.

Gunna get rid of the junk food and don't plan on buying anymore. Hopefully that helps some. Here's to No binge november!
  • ploppersdf1
    ploppersdf1 Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    Had a really bad day.. My TOM is on its way and I'm craving... Given in twice.. Today I was really over...
  • karriechambers
    karriechambers Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    went out for dinner last night, only a little binge, proud it didn't get out of control, todays a new day, practice makes perfect!
  • JustMeee333
    Options
    So annoyed at myself and also at him right now, he is feeling very insecure about his weight and hasn't been overly supportive so far about my weight loss, I don't know whether he's testing me or trying to sabotage me so that he can feel better about himself :grumble:

Why not gently suggest exercise you can both do together, like taking a walk etc... When he starts losing weight/feeling healthier hopefully he'll appreciate how hard it is for you, and be more supportive. :flowerforyou:
  • dandysandy7
    dandysandy7 Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    Hello, i've been on my fitness pal a while but never really got serious. I'm obese and according to my doctor need to lose 70 lbs. But i'd love to lose 40-50 lbs. i'm a food addict and a binge eater.I initially lost weight by drinking some diet pills (was so uneducated about weight loss then) and lost 25 pounds and have gained some of that back (hence 17 lbs lost in my page) Every time i control my eating and lose some weight i end up going off the wagon and re gaining what i lost, this has been my life for the past 8-9 months.

I'm trying to get back on and stay on this healthy journey. I just got convinced to put my diary on public so hopefully that will help me but i NEED FRIENDS for support and accountability, FEEL FREE TO ADD ME :)

What i don't understand is how do binge eaters lose weight? That doesn't add up in my head if you binge, how can you even loose weight? i see people who have lost a large amount of weight say they are food addicts or binge eaters? How can you loose weight while binging?
  • MsMischief
    MsMischief Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    What i don't understand is how do binge eaters lose weight? That doesn't add up in my head if you binge, how can you even loose weight? i see people who have lost a large amount of weight say they are food addicts or binge eaters? How can you loose weight while binging?

Simple maths. Your binge is less than your overall work, if it's diet or exercise.

If you normally eat at a 500 kcal deficit, you also work out at another 200 kcal/day, and one day you eat a whole tub of ben and jerry's? You're set back 1200 kcal. That's two days. If you only have a 200 kcal deficit and no working out, it's almost a week. If you don't have a deficit, it's the same kcal you need to gain roughly half a pound.

I'm a food addict, and I have to very very carefully eat my way through the day so I can have my calories under control. I can easily have burger and chips for breakfast, a giant tuna melt panini for lunch and a medium domino's pizza to myself, washing it down with fizzy drinks and alcohol.

But I don't! I have a 3-400 kcal meal in the mornings, a 4-500 kcal lunch and a 5-700 kcal dinner, and half a guinness in the evenings. Do I break and binge? Definitively. That's a problem I'm likely to always have, so I always have to be mindful of it and cave just a little, so I don't break entirely. A small packet of crisps is only 140 kcal, a glass of coke less than 200 kcal, while a whole medium domino's pizza is easily 1200 kcal. (And delicious.)

You need to find your trigger points. Do you eat because you're hungry, or bored, or really just thirsty? Or do you crave the happy hormones your body sends when you eat fatty, salty, sweet foods? This is very individual and you need to figure that out for yourself. We'll be here to listen and offer advice. Everyone's different, everyone binges differently, triggers differently and have their own life. There is no *one* cure.

Hope I could help and I wish you a binge-free november :)
  • Nix_Way
    Options
    Just getting ready for bed. Happy to say it was another good day. I'm loving this challenge of going all month with out binging. I have not had a slip up for 4 days, and it isn't even November yet!!!!

So glad I saw this group! Is there any ideas of what we can challenge ourselves with come December?
  • VanillaBeanSeed
    Options
    Just getting ready for bed. Happy to say it was another good day. I'm loving this challenge of going all month with out binging. I have not had a slip up for 4 days, and it isn't even November yet!!!!

So glad I saw this group! Is there any ideas of what we can challenge ourselves with come December?

I think December definitely needs a challenge as well! Let me work on that ;)
  • Nix_Way
    Options
    How about a Do More December?? Since its the 12th month, maybe it could be something like.. whatever you do for exercise, do 12 minutes more everyday in December.
    So since I walk, I would add in 12 minutes more of walking, or do 12 minutes of Zumba or 12 minutes of stationary bike.. no matter what you choose to do each day, just add 12 minutes of something else, (walk for 20 minutes and do 12 of Zumba)
    Does that make sense??? Its almost 3AM here and I'm a lil loopy from lack of sleep. :tongue:

Just a thought. Let me know what ideas you come up with. :smile:

Nix
  • VanillaBeanSeed
    Options
    How about a Do More December?? Since its the 12th month, maybe it could be something like.. whatever you do for exercise, do 12 minutes more everyday in December.
    So since I walk, I would add in 12 minutes more of walking, or do 12 minutes of Zumba or 12 minutes of stationary bike.. no matter what you choose to do each day, just add 12 minutes of something else, (walk for 20 minutes and do 12 of Zumba)
    Does that make sense??? Its almost 3AM here and I'm a lil loopy from lack of sleep. :tongue:

Just a thought. Let me know what ideas you come up with. :smile:

Nix

Nice Idea!

Heres some more I have as well:

Alcohol Free December - Cut out the partying!

Core December - With all the holiday meals coming - spend december working on those abs!