Starting Nov 1

Options

Replies

• Blueberry09
    Blueberry09 Posts: 821 Member
    Options
    So today was supposed to be my cardio day but I woke up at 2 am and couldn't get back to sleep! ARGGGHH!! :explode: Hate that! So I slept in this morning. I will do a bit longer cardio tomorrow before starting B3.
  • clambert1273
    clambert1273 Posts: 840 Member
    Options
    Today was S1 B3 .... found out my damn barbell only weighs 35# even though its a 7ft olympic... grrrrrrrrrrr so I had to adjust all my entries :( but I still think today was a good day.. I pushed the weights hard..

Deadlift 12/85# & 12/95#
    Dumbbell Should Press 12/17.5#
    Pullover 12/10# (I wasn't bring my arms all the way back with heavier so I made them less and went all the way)
    Lunges 12/10# (did all of them!)
    Swiss Ball Crunches 10/25lb

Good progress I think :)
  • bepeejaye
    bepeejaye Posts: 775 Member
    Options
    Bwahaha, Clam! Sorry...they kill me too! :flowerforyou:
    And aye, you are making such progress! Go, girl!!!
    beepee - I knew you were going to crush my hopes in the lunge department and tell me 15 each leg... dammit... :sad:
  • bepeejaye
    Options
    Have you tried squatting without any weight, for the correct form? Or watched videos?
    Or have you done the sit-down-on-the-chair-test, where you have a chair behind you, you sit on it, then remove it gently? Hold the position then stand up (while pushing through your feet soles?
    Or face a wall, with your knees almost touching it...then lower yourself, while keeping your spine and head in natural position, and try to squat...see how low you can go, and then push through your heels..

I sometimes have problems with squats because of my short lower trunk (lol)...and studies do show body types certainly will dictate the squat...but the basic principle is that, if the squat form is right, then the glutes will be engaged no matter the body type..

I guess there are many ways of testing the glutes, and my ideas are certainly not the best/only way to go....good luck!! :flowerforyou:

I wish I could get my stupid glutes to engage during squats, just doesn't happen.
  • bepeejaye
    Options
    This. Sorry, I posted mine afore seeing this
    I wish I could get my stupid glutes to engage during squats, just doesn't happen.

Try putting a bench or chair or even a coffee table behind you and try to bump it with your butt as you go down, but do not rest on it. This helps to make sure you are going deep enough into the squat. I actually use my step because it is high enough.
  • clambert1273
    Options
    Have you tried squatting without any weight, for the correct form? Or watched videos?
    Or have you done the sit-down-on-the-chair-test, where you have a chair behind you, you sit on it, then remove it gently? Hold the position then stand up (while pushing through your feet soles?
    Or face a wall, with your knees almost touching it...then lower yourself, while keeping your spine and head in natural position, and try to squat...see how low you can go, and then push through your heels..

I sometimes have problems with squats because of my short lower trunk (lol)...and studies do show body types certainly will dictate the squat...but the basic principle is that, if the squat form is right, then the glutes will be engaged no matter the body type..

I guess there are many ways of testing the glutes, and my ideas are certainly not the best/only way to go....good luck!! :flowerforyou:

You just reminded me of an idea for her (old Army routine)...

stand straight against the wall (shoulders pushed back touching the wall), now lower yourself down right until parallel.... HOLD - do not move... let the legs shake until you fall over..

welcome to the Army ... lol (then made us hold rifles out in front while doing that) it WILL engage your glutes because you will tense up while holding trying to stop the shakes :)
  • bepeejaye
    Options
    Clam, yay!!! That is familiar!!! I do wall squats sometimes!!
    When I was doing P90X, and also at our TRX Class, we do those, and hold for 2 minutes...then we are asked to go lower...and hold....sometimes he asks us to lift one leg up.....yipes!! And yes, you guessed it, he is a former Frogman!!!
  • clambert1273
    Options
    so the story behind that is....

In basic training there was a room in our barracks that was empty and they used it for mail call. A girl (before the co-ed days) got caught passing notes to a guy under the firewall....

Drill sergeants got pissed and pulled us ALL into that room.. shut the door and said make the walls sweat. We had to stand there in those squats on the walls for over 45min.. they waited until the body heat in the room from us sweating literally made the walls/windows start sweating lol

Can't really complain - I was in the best shape of my life in the Army :bigsmile:
  • Blueberry09
    Options
    Today was S1 B3 .... found out my damn barbell only weighs 35# even though its a 7ft olympic... grrrrrrrrrrr so I had to adjust all my entries :( but I still think today was a good day.. I pushed the weights hard..

Deadlift 12/85# & 12/95#
    Dumbbell Should Press 12/17.5#
    Pullover 12/10# (I wasn't bring my arms all the way back with heavier so I made them less and went all the way)
    Lunges 12/10# (did all of them!)
    Swiss Ball Crunches 10/25lb

Good progress I think :)

Good job! I'm such a weakling compared to all of you LOL

This is my B3
    Deadlift 15kg on whatever weight my bar is
    Dumbbell Should Press 12/8lbs can't quite bring myself to up this one
    Lat pull downs 12/90lbs
    Lunges 12/10# did static lunges instead of step
    Swiss Ball Crunches 2/15

Week 2 done!
  • sleepyjen
    sleepyjen Posts: 679 Member
    Options
    So I'm sure this is a silly question that's probably answered in the book, but I assume that the lower reps for workouts further in the stage are because we're supposed to increase weight more dramatically? I did stage 1 workout a2 today, and upped all of my numbers, even at the same reps as a1. Did you all increase substantially to a3?

A1 squats, just the 10L ez curl bar. Today I added 15L weight to it. I can add more pretty easily, but figured I'd step it up carefully.
    A1 rows, 40L, today, 50. That's about the limit I can do, I think, with 15 reps, but can likely do 60 for fewer.
    A1 step ups--I also did these in B1, as lunges would hurt my stupid calf--I've gone from 10L dumbbells to 12 and today, 15.

B1 kicked my tail, btw. :) Looking forward to B2 on Sunday.

thanks!
    Jen
  • Blueberry09
    Options
    I've decided to up my weights at every odd numbered workout. Not sure if that's right but I also don't want to go too heavy too fast. I don't want to risk injury - at my age it takes longer to recover :wink:
  • sleepyjen
    Options
    I'm swapping the Olympic bar for my deadlift for the ez curl and adding weights tomorrow so that it's at least a few inches off the ground; I might actually drop the total to about 40, since 45 was pretty uncomfortable. Or I'll do 40 the first round and 45 set 2, and otherwise keep stuff the same. I'll go up for B3.
  • bepeejaye
    Options
    And thank for your service, Clam!!
    so the story behind that is....

In basic training there was a room in our barracks that was empty and they used it for mail call. A girl (before the co-ed days) got caught passing notes to a guy under the firewall....

Drill sergeants got pissed and pulled us ALL into that room.. shut the door and said make the walls sweat. We had to stand there in those squats on the walls for over 45min.. they waited until the body heat in the room from us sweating literally made the walls/windows start sweating lol

Can't really complain - I was in the best shape of my life in the Army :bigsmile:
  • clambert1273
    Options
    No need to Thank me (but thank you ) - I would still be in if I could - miss it terribly. It's a way of life and very hard to adjust to life outside of it lol

Monday morning ladies!!! S1 A4 complete!

Step Ups 2/12/30

Prone Jackknife 2/10

Barbell Squat 1/12/65
    Barbell Squat 1/12/55

Barbell Bentover Row 1/12/55
    Barbell Bentover Row 1/12/65

Push Up - Regular 2/12
  • sleepyjen
    Options
    No need to Thank me (but thank you ) - I would still be in if I could - miss it terribly. It's a way of life and very hard to adjust to life outside of it lol

Step Ups 2/12/30

Prone Jackknife 2/10

Barbell Squat 1/12/65
    Barbell Squat 1/12/55

Push Up - Regular 2/12

When you list 30 for your weight on the step ups, is that total? Or just one? I think I'm recording wrong.
  • clambert1273
    Options

Step Ups 2/12/30

Prone Jackknife 2/10

Barbell Squat 1/12/65
    Barbell Squat 1/12/55

Push Up - Regular 2/12

When you list 30 for your weight on the step ups, is that total? Or just one? I think I'm recording wrong.

For me, 30 each dumbbell so a total of 60 :)
  • sleepyjen
    Options
    Strong lady! I do 15lb each!
  • Blueberry09
    Options
    I think I've been recording them as one as well.

I guess it doesn't really matter as long as the weight is being increased regularly. You know when it's heavier :laugh:

I did A4 this morning too. Once B4 is done we're halfway thru!
  • clambert1273
    Options
    I think I've been recording them as one as well.

I guess it doesn't really matter as long as the weight is being increased regularly. You know when it's heavier :laugh:

I did A4 this morning too. Once B4 is done we're halfway thru!

I figured in my head I knew there were 2 dumbbells :laugh: the only problem I have with the 30lbs is that my arms get tired before my legs do lol so I could probably go heavier but my arms just won't hang on :)

hubby and I are looking at Power cages (yes, I am weird I asked for one for Christmas :ohwell: )

Here is to halfway! :drinker:
  • Blueberry09
    Options

I figured in my head I knew there were 2 dumbbells :laugh:

Here is to halfway! :drinker:

:drinker:

A lot of this is all in our heads :wink: Such a mental challenge some days LOL