Running Goals for 2014

Options

Replies

• mlogantra76
    mlogantra76 Posts: 334 Member
    Options
    My running goals are probably directly linked to my goal of going to the mid range weight for my height. I believe it will make a difference. Giving myself about 3 months to do so as its about 10-15lbs. Going to be challenging as I'm doing a half in Jan, Feb, March, and April and possibly two in March. I get so hungry after those.

I won't run an official 5k till May.
    5k goal: Under 27 minutes.

I am not too worried about time on my half right now. I did two in December and my time was 2:17 on both. Still into just "completing them" :)
  • denny_menter
    denny_menter Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    My main goal is to run a marathon in under 4:00. My best so far is 4:13 and I was very happy with it, but it's time to step it up and do some speedwork.

I'm going to follow a more aggressive plan this year with my goal time in mind. I'm thinking of giving up trying to find a free one and buying the Runners World 4 hour plan. Until now I've used the free Hal Higdon novice plans. If anyone has any better advice, feel free to let me know.
  • ZenInTexas
    ZenInTexas Posts: 781 Member
    Options
    My main goal is to run a marathon in under 4:00. My best so far is 4:13 and I was very happy with it, but it's time to step it up and do some speedwork.

I'm going to follow a more aggressive plan this year with my goal time in mind. I'm thinking of giving up trying to find a free one and buying the Runners World 4 hour plan. Until now I've used the free Hal Higdon novice plans. If anyone has any better advice, feel free to let me know.

Why not step up to the next level Higdon plan? His intermediate plans have a pretty good amount of mileage and his advanced plans include speed work.
  • davert123
    davert123 Posts: 1,568 Member
    Options
    My goal is dead simple - to make sure that I run relatively constantly all year :-)
  • SillyC2
    SillyC2 Posts: 275 Member
    Options
    Hi! I'm new here!

Taking up distance running has been wonderful, but there have been a few negatives. My goals are to try to correct some of the things that distance running has done to my body. So... to that end....

1. Lose about 10 of the 15 lbs I've put on since taking up ultrarunning, and figure out how to keep it off.

2. Work on my upper body strength, which has drastically decreased. I USED to have small children, and I got a lot of strength from lifting them. Now they are too old to carry and I'm practically a skeleton up top.
  • beaky1980
    beaky1980 Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    I'm new to posting, but love to run :)

I'm somewhat newer to running...really got back into it last year. My goals are modest to say the least...

*Run 5k in under 30 minutes.
    *Run my first half (training for that now)...don't really care about the time yet.
    *Actually sign up for a race and run it. I've never done that, so I'm thinking this year I'll get at least one, hopefully more!
  • ladyferal
    ladyferal Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Hi. I'm new to the site and new to the group. I ran my first marathon last year: The Asheville City Marathon. I took it on short notice and only trained for 2 months. I finished but it wasn't great. At the halfway mark I was on pace to finish under four hours but at mile 18 my thighs cramped and I spent the last 8 miles alternating between running and walking. I finished in 4:46:02.

My goals for this year are to run both of the marathons in my city: The Asheville Marathon at the Biltmore Estate and the Asheville City Marathon again and to finish both in under four hours. The first is in March and the second is in September. Looking more long term this is part of my goal to run the Mt. Mitchell Challenge 40-miler up to the peak of Mt. Mitchell in February of 2015.

Non-running goal: lose 40 pounds.
  • jessicasloan91
    jessicasloan91 Posts: 184 Member
    Options
    1. Sub 20 min 5K, this is VERY ambitious as my current PR is 21:37, however, with a parkrun every Saturday I've got 52 shots at it ;)

2. Sub 1:40 HM.. which I hope to achieve in March, then I will set a new goal

3. Sub 45 10K.. which I hope to achieve in Feb then set a new goal

4. STRETCH and stay injury free happy runner :)
  • runningcat76
    Options
    sub 20 5k is my only goal. I have 29 seconds to shave off. I have a fast and flat 5k in 3 weeks so fingers crossed!
  • BrigFowler
    Options
    PR my half marathon time in March race.
    Run my first marathon in July.
    Run Ragnar in July...one week after my first full marathon (please don't judge me).
    Keep running!
  • kdub2051
    kdub2051 Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    1. 1000 Miles
    2. Run 2 Half-Marathons sub 2:00 in the fall.
  • i_am_asparagus
    i_am_asparagus Posts: 336 Member
    Options
    I'm determined to train more consistently this year. I'm shooting for 1000 miles and I'd love to smash a few PBs!
  • dettiot
    dettiot Posts: 180 Member
    Options
    Hi, everyone! I only became a runner in 2013, so setting running goals is a very odd feeling. :-)

1) Complete my first half marathon in April. If I can do it in under 3 hours, that would be a bonus, but I'm really just focused on finishing and enjoying the first-time experience.

2) Address some of the nagging little discomforts I experience, like strengthening my upper body so I don't get that pain between my shoulder blades after a long run.

3) Run at least 50 miles each month.

4) Slowly improve my 5K time. I don't really care about being a speed demon, but my 5K times were 33:30 and 34:49. I'd like to get down to around 32 minutes this year, but I won't be working on that until the summer I think.
  • MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    Options
    What are everyone's running goals for 2014?

Two parkruns per month - 5Km benchmark runs
    Bring my 5K time down to 25 Mins
    Sub 55 10K
    Three 10K races later in the year - possibly London parks 10K series
    Towards the end of the year making a decision about whether to go for a Half
    Injury free - This is probably the key one, I've had broken ankles on both sides and torn ligaments on the right so need to take it easy in terms of speed and distance increases. Notwithstanding that in nine months I've done nearly 600 miles so not too bad for a recent starter.
  • CarsonRuns
    CarsonRuns Posts: 3,039 Member
    Options
    2) Address some of the nagging little discomforts I experience, like strengthening my upper body so I don't get that pain between my shoulder blades after a long run.

This is probably caused by carrying too much tension in your shoulders and possibly holding your arms too high. Make a concerted effort to relax your shoulders and let them drop during the run and see if it makes a difference.
    4) Slowly improve my 5K time. I don't really care about being a speed demon, but my 5K times were 33:30 and 34:49. I'd like to get down to around 32 minutes this year, but I won't be working on that until the summer I think.

Consistently running more easy miles will improve your 5K times more than anything else right now. Just keep getting out there, running easy, and going a little further each time. Instead of 50 miles per month, try to gradually move that to around a 100 miles a month and you'll see dramatic improvements in your 5K time.
  • rduhlir
    rduhlir Posts: 3,550 Member
    Options
    1. Complete 4 HM (maybe a 5th, depends on if I get signed up in time or not, race got cancelled so last year has priority over this year).
    2. Get base miles up to 30 MPW...steady.
    3. Sub 02:15 HM time (current PR is 02:34)
    4. Sub 30 minute 5K (current PR is 31:51)
    5. Volunteer for at least 1 race each month.
    6. 1000 miles run/walked this year.
  • Cheval13
    Cheval13 Posts: 392 Member
    Options
    Ooh, fun!! Ok my primary goal for this coming year is to be able to train pain free and injury free!! And beyond that I would like to do a 21 minute 5k, a 45 minute 10k, a 1:45 Half and a 3:40 full. Might take more than a year to make those but I'm sure going to try!! I would also like to log 2000 miles in 2014. And I want to do a sprint Triathlon. :smile: It's going to be a busy year!

Twins! I too am looking to mainly get through the year without injuries. :)
    Also, a 21 minute (or sub) is my goal as well as a sub 3:40 full. Awesome year ahead. Good luck!
  • dettiot
    dettiot Posts: 180 Member
    Options

This is probably caused by carrying too much tension in your shoulders and possibly holding your arms too high. Make a concerted effort to relax your shoulders and let them drop during the run and see if it makes a difference.

Consistently running more easy miles will improve your 5K times more than anything else right now. Just keep getting out there, running easy, and going a little further each time. Instead of 50 miles per month, try to gradually move that to around a 100 miles a month and you'll see dramatic improvements in your 5K time.

I think I have my shoulders pretty relaxed, so I'm not sure if that's the issue. I was thinking it was more that I'm not standing up straight enough, and the rounded and arched shoulders & back were causing my pain. I tried running today with better posture and it seems to have helped a bit, so I'll keep experimenting!

And yowza, 100 miles a month! That just sounds like a crazy amount, but then, I can do so much more now than I could before, so I know it's possible--it's just a matter of whether I want to log that many miles with the time I have for exercising.

Thanks for the tips!
  • ohhayitskk
    ohhayitskk Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I'm hoping to run a sub 4 marathon (I know I have one in me. The last marathon I ran in fall 2012 was a 4:01. UGH). I also want to race at least once a month. It would be nice to PR in the 10K and half, but I'm really focused on the sub 4 this year.
  • SonicDeathMonkey80
    SonicDeathMonkey80 Posts: 4,489 Member
    Options
    Nobody said "get a cool race pic" yet?

Get a cool race pic. There.