New to the Group? Introduce yourself here.

Options

Replies

• bdubya55
    bdubya55 Posts: 506 Member
    Options
    Hi all. My name is Kama. I just got diagnosed with type 2, on Friday. I had id before years ago, but was able to stop it with diet and excercise. But I didn't do it healthfully, I dieted extremely, and worked out extremely. So I am learning to do this in the right way, eating enough of healthy foods to fuel my body, and yes, working out. I have other health issues, so I do have to listen to my body. Any one else on Metformin? I just started taking it Friday and it seems to be giving me headaches, which were mild yestersday and relievedby eating, but today, more severe, so i took some Advil and ate breakfast, so I will see if that helps. I was diagnosed by my cardiologist, and my A1C is 10.
    I see my primary care tomorrow. So I am scared and mad at myself for putting on the weight again and letting myself get to this point. I saw my mom die from diabetes and I am determine to not have that happen to me.
    Looking for support and to be a support. Thanks, Kama

Hi Kama, Welcome!

An initial diagnosis of T2 diabetes at first can be an overwhelming experience-bringing along with it a wide range of emotions for many of us.

Metformin is a safe and widely prescribed T2D medication proven to be successful as a first defense in treating T2D to help avoid higher morning blood sugars and to also help with reducing insulin resistance throughout the day.

I've been using regular Metformin 1000mg twice a day since my initial diagnosis in 1982 with no ill effects. As mentioned some people experience intestinal discomfort using regular Metformin and find by using the (XR) extended release version of Metformin helps them to eliminate or reduce this very uncomfortable side effect. As recommended, taking Metformin at mealtimes might be helpful to you too.

Additionally, by reducing and avoiding complex starchy carbohydrates, like pasta, rice, potatoes and most breaded products from your meal plan will also help you achieve healthier blood sugars.

It's important to discuss your headache experiences with your healthcare provider during your appointment tomorrow. An equally important discussion to have-is establishing blood sugar target range goals for self management in between visits by testing at home with a blood sugar meter.

If your medically insured, many insurance plans offer a co-pay if any for this device and its testing strips. If there is no device benefit offered, Walmart stores if they're in your area offers a few very economical choices in their ReliOn brand meters and test strips at a low cost.

As you may have discovered, the myfitnesspal tracking program provides a great and powerful tool to help us accomplish our nutritional goals when applied honestly and correctly.

Please know there is no shame in having this condition and that you're not alone here. They're are many very knowledgeable and genuinely kind supporters in this group eager to share their knowledge, encouragement and experiences in an effort to help themselves and each of us out when managing this very individual conndition.

I welcome the opportunity to offer you any help I can whenever possible towards your success.

Welcome!

~Bob
  • kamaperry
    kamaperry Posts: 885 Member
    Options
    Really thought I had posted here. I need help. I was diagnosed with Diabetes last Friday. I had an A1c of 10. I'm confused and scared, I don't know what to eat and what not to eat. I had this years ago, and I was heavy then too. Now I am heavy again and it is worse. Any tips, reassurances, guidance is appreciated.I'm a bit freaked out.

Disregard, I see my post now
  • kamaperry
    Options
    Thanks all. I just feel I really don't know what to do. My dr is setting me up with a nutritionist, so I will see what she has to say. Just so bewildered. I get my monitor today.
  • kamaperry
    Options
    Hi all. My name is Kama. I just got diagnosed with type 2, on Friday. I had id before years ago, but was able to stop it with diet and excercise. But I didn't do it healthfully, I dieted extremely, and worked out extremely. So I am learning to do this in the right way, eating enough of healthy foods to fuel my body, and yes, working out. I have other health issues, so I do have to listen to my body. Any one else on Metformin? I just started taking it Friday and it seems to be giving me headaches, which were mild yestersday and relievedby eating, but today, more severe, so i took some Advil and ate breakfast, so I will see if that helps. I was diagnosed by my cardiologist, and my A1C is 10.
    I see my primary care tomorrow. So I am scared and mad at myself for putting on the weight again and letting myself get to this point. I saw my mom die from diabetes and I am determine to not have that happen to me.

Hi Kama, Welcome!

An initial diagnosis of T2 diabetes at first can be an overwhelming experience-bringing along with it a wide range of emotions for many of us.

Metformin is a safe and widely prescribed T2D medication proven to be successful as a first defense in treating T2D to help avoid higher morning blood sugars and to also help with reducing insulin resistance throughout the day.

I've been using regular Metformin 1000mg twice a day since my initial diagnosis in 1982 with no ill effects. As mentioned some people experience intestinal discomfort using regular Metformin and find by using the (XR) extended release version of Metformin helps them to eliminate or reduce this very uncomfortable side effect. As recommended, taking Metformin at mealtimes might be helpful to you too.

Additionally, by reducing and avoiding complex starchy carbohydrates, like pasta, rice, potatoes and most breaded products from your meal plan will also help you achieve healthier blood sugars.

It's important to discuss your headache experiences with your healthcare provider during your appointment tomorrow. An equally important discussion to have-is establishing blood sugar target range goals for self management in between visits by testing at home with a blood sugar meter.

If your medically insured, many insurance plans offer a co-pay if any for this device and its testing strips. If there is no device benefit offered, Walmart stores if they're in your area offers a few very economical choices in their ReliOn brand meters and test strips at a low cost.

As you may have discovered, the myfitnesspal tracking program provides a great and powerful tool to help us accomplish our nutritional goals when applied honestly and correctly.

Please know there is no shame in having this condition and that you're not alone here. They're are many very knowledgeable and genuinely kind supporters in this group eager to share their knowledge, encouragement and experiences in an effort to help themselves and each of us out when managing this very individual conndition.

I welcome the opportunity to offer you any help I can whenever possible towards your success.

Welcome!

~Bob

Hi Bob, so I did talk to my dr and he is having me cut my metformin in half and take twice a day to help with headaches, He wants me to stay on it, I am on a very low dose and he wants to work my up to 1000 a day, on 500 now. My question and fear is that the nutritionist will set my calories too low. I have been doing ETF and EMTLW, and per my TDEE (Total daily energy expenditure calculator) I need to eat at the very least 2000 calories a day for the workouts I do. So I am really confused and scared. My A1c was a 10, so something is very wrong.
  • donitabower
    donitabower Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Hi my name is Donita. I have type 2. Trying to lose weight and lower my a1c. Live in Southern Indiana. Glad found this group.
  • bdubya55
    Options

Hi Kama, Welcome!

Welcome!

~Bob

Hi Bob, so I did talk to my dr and he is having me cut my metformin in half and take twice a day to help with headaches, He wants me to stay on it, I am on a very low dose and he wants to work my up to 1000 a day, on 500 now. My question and fear is that the nutritionist will set my calories too low. I have been doing ETF and EMTLW, and per my TDEE (Total daily energy expenditure calculator) I need to eat at the very least 2000 calories a day for the workouts I do. So I am really confused and scared. My A1c was a 10, so something is very wrong.

Hi Karma, Glad you got in to see your doctor-to help him/her understand the possible headache affects the Metformin might be having. By decreasing your dosage and gradually increasing your doses over time hopefully this will help you to eliminate your headaches.

It's important to communicate with your doctor with any additional or continued negative side effects with taking this medication moving forward-and hope this change works for you.

It's great your seeing a nutritionist to help you adopt new meal plans that will help you to make improvements towards your blood sugar goals. One of the most frustrating issues of having this condition-is each and everyone of us is unique in how how bodies react to the foods we eat-the medications we take-the amount and type of exercise we chose, just to name a short list of factors.

At the end of the day, whatever your nutritionist recommends, it's your glucose meter that's going to be your friend and best defense in helping you to improve your blood sugar control-by testing immediately before eating-and by testing again 2hrs after meals to learn if the food choices made are acceptable towards reaching your goals.Your nutritionist can offer recommendations and suggestions, but this is your T2 condition and what's been recommended by your nutritionist may, or may not be a good choice for you.

I'm not sure what ETF nor EMTLW means?

bloodsugar101.com is a great online resource to help you gain a better understanding-living with a T2D condition designed to answer your questions, helping to ease your fears and frustrations.

Take it one day-and one step at a time Kama, and before you know it, you'll be on the right track.

Keep us posted on your progress and how we might be of further help and assistance to you anytime.

Best wishes Kama!
  • bdubya55
    Options
    Hi my name is Donita. I have type 2. Trying to lose weight and lower my a1c. Live in Southern Indiana. Glad found this group.

Hi Donita, Welcome!

I'm in SW Ohio. This is a great group. Have a look around the various thread topics and ask any questions or offer any contributions you might have with your experiences.

Best wishes!

Bob
  • sfsoccermom2
    sfsoccermom2 Posts: 233 Member
    Options
    Hi. My name is Sheryl and I was just diagnosed a week ago with T2 diabetes. I started seeing a nutritionist five weeks ago for weight loss, and now have an appointment tomorrow to add in the diabetes diagnosis. I finally got my testing kit yesterday and was so upset to see a fasting bg of 156. I know I have alot to learn. I'm just scared and right now feel overwhelmed. Was doing great with weight loss and exercise, but now afraid nothing will work either way.

Looking for some insight and guidance in this journey.
  • kamaperry
    Options

Hi Kama, Welcome!

Welcome!

~Bob

Hi Karma, Glad you got in to see your doctor-to help him/her understand the possible headache affects the Metformin might be having. By decreasing your dosage and gradually increasing your doses over time hopefully this will help you to eliminate your headaches.

It's important to communicate with your doctor with any additional or continued negative side effects with taking this medication moving forward-and hope this change works for you.

It's great your seeing a nutritionist to help you adopt new meal plans that will help you to make improvements towards your blood sugar goals. One of the most frustrating issues of having this condition-is each and everyone of us is unique in how how bodies react to the foods we eat-the medications we take-the amount and type of exercise we chose, just to name a short list of factors.

At the end of the day, whatever your nutritionist recommends, it's your glucose meter that's going to be your friend and best defense in helping you to improve your blood sugar control-by testing immediately before eating-and by testing again 2hrs after meals to learn if the food choices made are acceptable towards reaching your goals.Your nutritionist can offer recommendations and suggestions, but this is your T2 condition and what's been recommended by your nutritionist may, or may not be a good choice for you.

I'm not sure what ETF nor EMTLW means?

bloodsugar101.com is a great online resource to help you gain a better understanding-living with a T2D condition designed to answer your questions, helping to ease your fears and frustrations.

Take it one day-and one step at a time Kama, and before you know it, you'll be on the right track.

Keep us posted on your progress and how we might be of further help and assistance to you anytime.

Best wishes Kama!

Thanks Bob, I appreciate it. I will def look up that site!!! I just got my monitor yesterday, my dr only wants me to use it once a day, in the morning, I presume, I got up to late to do it this morning, so I will aim for tomorrow. ETF is "Eat The Food" by Amber Evangeline Rogers, of GoKaleo. It is a group to help people with disorded eating habits, ie. restrictive dieting. I have a history of really restricting myself to lose weight. This time I am trying to do it the right way, while eating enough to fuel my body. EMTLW is "Eat More to Lose Weight" It is along the same guidelines. I have learned that the daily calorei amounts that are approved are way to low for most people, especially those who work out. Anyways, that is why I fear going to a nutritionist. But I will go, as she may be off help, and hpoing she will understand where I am coming from. I didn't feel well, when I restricted that much.
  • kamaperry
    Options
    Hi. I do have a question, I'm on a very low dose of Metformin. I was weighed at the dr's office on Monday, and I weighed myself this morning, and was 12 pounds less! Is this something to be concerned about?
  • bdubya55
    Options
    Are you certain your scale is accurate? That's a big weight difference in just 3 days. Is it a digital scale? try using fresh batteries and/or moving it to another flat surface in your home.
  • earlnabby
    earlnabby Posts: 8,171 Member
    Options
    Hi. I do have a question, I'm on a very low dose of Metformin. I was weighed at the dr's office on Monday, and I weighed myself this morning, and was 12 pounds less! Is this something to be concerned about?

It depends. A) did you weigh yourself at the same time of day as when you were at the doctors? B) What were you wearing on the scale at the doctor's and at home? C) Did you eat within a couple of hours before going to the doctor and not eat before getting on your home scale? Are you sure your scale is accurate?

I ask these because even a pair of blue jeans can weigh a couple of pounds. Fully clothed vs nude can be a 4-5 pound difference right there. Time of day makes a difference too, both because of food you eat during the day and people often retain more water the later it gets during the day.

Weigh yourself on your home scale at the same time of day and wearing the same stuff as before in another couple of days. If you see a big drop again, speak to your doctor.
  • earlnabby
    earlnabby Posts: 8,171 Member
    Options
    Hi. My name is Sheryl and I was just diagnosed a week ago with T2 diabetes. I started seeing a nutritionist five weeks ago for weight loss, and now have an appointment tomorrow to add in the diabetes diagnosis. I finally got my testing kit yesterday and was so upset to see a fasting bg of 156. I know I have alot to learn. I'm just scared and right now feel overwhelmed. Was doing great with weight loss and exercise, but now afraid nothing will work either way.

Hi Sheryl, I was just diagnosed in January. The diabetes showed up in all of the assorted tests done when it was discovered I was severely anemic so it was a bit of a surprise . . . and not a pleasant one. I too am trying to figure all of this out. Add in the fact that the first medication I was put on made my kidney numbers go a bit haywire and so I had to switch and I am a bit overwhelmed right now too.

Keep up with the diet and exercise and take advantage of any and all nutrition counseling available to you as well as following the doctor's instructions regarding testing and medication and you will get through it. 3 months in, it is not as overwhelming as it was when I was first diagnosed but I still have so much more to learn.
  • bdubya55
    Options
    Some good points I overlooked earlnabby!
  • GreenTurtle55
    Options
    Hello all! New to the group- my 3rd day. If it shows, i am not 18 yrs old! I wish though. Im in my early 50s.
    Diagoned 6 mths ago. Had been on low carb diet before and lost, but it does not seem to be working for me again. Tried for two weeks but not a pound.
    Having some struggles making my 1200 calorie count work, especially with lower card foods.
    Taking 2 metformins, morning n night. Today morning 7.1. Usually drops thru mid morning.
    Could some of of you big losers share your typical meal plans with me?
  • katekross
    katekross Posts: 463 Member
    Options
    Hi I'm Kate. I recently was diagnosed Type 2 a few weeks ago. I am 25 years old. I was recently put on Janumet. Anyone else on it?
  • bdubya55
    Options

Hi Sheryl, Welcome!

Diabetes can be a tough condition to for many of us to accept when first diagnosed-but the good news is-that it is a condition which, with a bit of dedication and patience can be well controlled.

It's great you've started testing. By using your meter to test just before meals and testing again 1.5-2 hours after meals you'll quickly learn where any adjustments might be necessary to help you reach your blood sugar target goals. Try not to focus on a specific number-but rather meeting an improved target range as your first goal. This too takes time and patience.

As type 2 diabetics it's the carbohydrates we eat that have the biggest impact on controlling our blood sugars. White starches like bread, rice and pasta just to name a few are for many of us-the biggest offenders leading us to higher blood sugar spikes. Additionally adding in exercise to your weekly routine will help with insulin resistance often associated with T2D.

One of the most frustrating issues living with a condition like T2D is, each of us is unique in how our bodies react to the food choices we make, and the different medications we take, in addition to any exercise regimen.

bloodsugar101.com is a great online resource designed to ease any confusion or frustration, in addition to answering any questions you might have.

Best wishes

Bob
  • bdubya55
    Options
    Hello all! New to the group- my 3rd day. If it shows, i am not 18 yrs old! I wish though. Im in my early 50s.
    Diagoned 6 mths ago. Had been on low carb diet before and lost, but it does not seem to be working for me again. Tried for two weeks but not a pound.
    Having some struggles making my 1200 calorie count work, especially with lower card foods.
    Taking 2 metformins, morning n night. Today morning 7.1. Usually drops thru mid morning.
    Could some of of you big losers share your typical meal plans with me?

Hi Green Turtle, welcome to the type 2 diabetes support group and our corner of myfitnesspal. Living with this condition requires time, persistence and patience. Not an easy task to be sure for many of us when diagnosed.

The good news is, by using this powerful tracking program and weighing your choices against your meter to assess your carb choices and how they affect your blood sugar management goals-will you quickly learn if any adjustment might be necessary-by either reducing a portion size or eliminating that choice altogether.

Each of us is unique in our approach to managing this condition. Equally good news is that-you aren't alone here. There are many kind, knowledgeable and supportive members in this group-eager to share their experiences with you on what's worked and what hasn't worked for them.

Best of luck and good health!

Bob
  • bdubya55
    Options
    Hi I'm Kate. I recently was diagnosed Type 2 a few weeks ago. I am 25 years old. I was recently put on Janumet. Anyone else on it?

Hi Kate!, Welcome!

I have a fondness for the Jainesville area having relatives strongly rooted in family tradition in this area-in addition to having relatives in Ft Atkinson and the Lake Geneva area of Wisconsin too.

Although not using Janumet myself I'm fairly confident there are others here using the help of Janumet to treat this condition.

Have a look around at the various thread topics and ask questions when you feel comfortable.

Bob
  • kwbryan123
    kwbryan123 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Hello all, I'm Kathleen and just joined MFP a few days ago and have now found a corner of new friends to hang with.... I've had DM since 2002 and been on Metforman since 2005. I changed jobs about three years ago and have gained a considerable amount of weight, the job is a major stressor. Now I have to get passed everything and get back to work on exercise and proper eating habits. I will be checking in daily looking for advice and support to give and get.