SilentDrapeRunners Log

Options
1235»

Replies

• sardelsa
    sardelsa Posts: 9,812 Member
    edited December 2014
    Options
    Awesome job so far ! I'm still waiting for this bulking strength everyone talks about. So you are only gaining 1lb per month, but you are going to bulk longer? That sounds nice and steady. Do you feel more control this way compared to last bulk?
  • 3laine75
    3laine75 Posts: 3,070 Member
    Options
    Dem Guns!!

Just popped in to say your arms and shoulders look amazing in that pic - nice work!
  • SilentDrapeRunners
    SilentDrapeRunners Posts: 199 Member
    Options
    sardelsa wrote: »
    Awesome job so far ! I'm still waiting for this bulking strength everyone talks about. So you are only gaining 1lb per month, but you are going to bulk longer? That sounds nice and steady. Do you feel more control this way compared to last bulk?

I guess the strength is in comparison to strength (or lack thereof) during cutting or even maintenance. Yes, I'm hoping to bulk for quite some time (6-12 months). Just going to see how it goes and hoping to bulk for as long as possible. 1 lb per month is the best way for me to go at this point. I think 2 lbs per month was the best thing for me to do during bulk #1, because I was getting a feel for things and really needed to see what it felt like to put on some weight. This bulk feels much better because I feel like I know what I'm doing...it's a continual learning process though.
  • SilentDrapeRunners
    Options
    3laine75 wrote: »
    Dem Guns!!

Just popped in to say your arms and shoulders look amazing in that pic - nice work!

Thanks! :D
  • SilentDrapeRunners
    Options
    Still bulking...and it's going quite well. I've pretty much decided that this year is going to be all about the bulking- slow bulking. So about a pound per month. I really need to just continue building my strength and muscles and get my weight up, so that's what I'm going to do.
  • SilentDrapeRunners
    Options
    Bulking is continuing to go well...gained about 1.4 lbs this month so pretty much right on track. Cals are still at 1900. Of course I would like to increase and eat more, but 1900 isn't bad for only weighing 108 lbs. For bulk #1, cals were a bit higher but I was also on a medication that had the side effect of raising my metabolism (and suppressing hunger). So I guess not that bad of side effects depending on how you look at it, but there were other side effects too, so all in all I'm glad to be done with it. Was tapering off of it in the fall and was off for good in November.

Not on any prescription meds right now which I'm really happy about. I feel like I'm at a point where my body can rely upon exercising (weightlifting) and nutrition. Or at least I'm at a point where I can figure out exactly what is going on and thus maybe get to the core of the issues instead of using medications to alleviate symptoms. My symptoms were always chalked up to be due to depression, anxiety, other mental health issues. And I may still have (had) those things, but a couple months ago I was diagnosed with what looks to be lupus. Additional testing is still being done to pinpoint exactly what is going on. Lupus or a similar autoimmune disease definitely explains a lot of my symptoms. Luckily my symptoms aren't completely debilitating or anything like that, and I am soooo grateful I started weightlifting when I did, because I feel like I'm on a path that will allow me to take care of my body in the best way possible and hopefully prevent debilitation or at least help me in case it happens. And I'm actually kind of grateful for the diagnosis, because it gives me yet another reason to keep pushing myself. But not push myself too hard- it is a fine line. One day at a time.

Also next month (starting tomorrow) I'm going to do a gluten free trial. My rheumatologist agrees that it would be a good idea, so that at the very least it can be ruled out as a contributing factor to my fatigue & brain fog. I haven't done a gluten free trial until now because I've always thought of it as another 'trend' diet or marketing scheme. But after doing some reading, I do think that gluten can be problematic for some people. Or more likely FODMAPs I guess. But for now, I'm just going to eliminate gluten and see what happens.
  • sardelsa
    sardelsa Posts: 9,812 Member
    Options
    How is the gluten free going? I know you mentioned it was helping alleviate some of your symptoms, so hopefully it only continues to get better. You are definitely inspiring that is for sure.
  • SilentDrapeRunners
    Options
    Gluten free is going ok. So far some of my congestion has been alleviated and I feel less bloated. Still have brain fog and fatigue though. Time will tell more. It will be interesting to see what happens when I eliminate all (or almost all) FODMAPs