How to Do One-Meal-a-Day (The Basics)

1234568»

Replies

• tlblanks1
    tlblanks1 Posts: 201 Member
    Bumping this up for our newest members. Basic OMAD is awesome and really works!
  • EstrangedTiger
    EstrangedTiger Posts: 543 Member
    tlblanks1 wrote: »
    Bumping this up for our newest members. Basic OMAD is awesome and really works!

Needed to read this again myself, I’m experimenting way too much.

• tlblanks1
    Bumping
  • tlblanks1
    I need this about now
  • volgirl1322
    volgirl1322 Posts: 2,086 Member
    Totally needed this.....
  • murrell007
    murrell007 Posts: 65 Member
    I did this a year ago and I was able to lose . I really need to do this again.
  • Brendalea69
    Brendalea69 Posts: 3,863 Member
    Bumpity Bump :)
  • newmeadow
    newmeadow Posts: 1,295 Member
    Thanks I just reviewed the basics in the beginning of this thread. Eliminating food groups, carbs, sugar, etc. not a good idea (for me).
  • Brendalea69
    edited January 2019
    newmeadow wrote: »
    Thanks I just reviewed the basics in the beginning of this thread. Eliminating food groups, carbs, sugar, etc. not a good idea (for me).

There's no need to eliminate any food group unless it's harming your health.
  • volgirl1322
    volgirl1322 Posts: 2,086 Member
    IMO not good for anyone....but I am from the south and can't divorce those beloved carbs...... :D
  • Brendalea69
    IMO not good for anyone....but I am from the south and can't divorce those beloved carbs...... :D

I know, I divorced them for awhile but we got back together ;)
  • mistymeadows2005
    mistymeadows2005 Posts: 3,737 Member
    Yeah I love all the foods equally sooooooooo I'm a food polygamist apparently :D:D:D
  • Brendalea69
    It violates all modern dietary advice, but this is how our hunter-gatherer ancestors ate since the time before humans could even be called humans. And this is the ONLY way I know of that basically guarantees that you will lose the weight and keep it off forever. Not only that, but you will feel better and be sick less. I am living proof. Here are the basics...

#1) Pick a goal weight range--not a weight, but a weight range of about 15 pounds since we humans are always in a state of flux. This will change as you get more confidence and approach where you first set out to be at.

#2) Weigh yourself to begin with. Weigh yourself when you wake up and use the same scale.

#3) Continue to weigh yourself ONLY ONCE every seven days. Don’t break this rule! Pick a day of the week and weigh yourself on that day without fail. Body weight fluctuates, so don’t weigh everyday. You will psych yourself out. For every 3,500 calories reduced over 7 days, that is generally 1 pound of body fat lost. You lose weekly, NOT daily. So weigh weekly.

#4) Set aside a 4-hour window to eat in. It should be the same time everyday. It can be morning, noon, or evening. It won’t change the results, but keep the same window everyday.

#5) Eat your one meal within your window always. Do not vary the times.

#6) Eat with "the 4 ones" in mind…

A. Only ONE meal per day - no snacking or anything with calories afterwards. Any medications or supplements can be taken with the meal. Eat whatever you want. You'll find you crave healthier foods as time passes and your stomach shrinks. Don't worry about that now. Just no "junk food" (i.e. foods like chips or candy that you'd never want to make a meal of anyway).

B. Eat ONE average-sized dinner plate completely filled up - including any desserts, sauces, etc. No eating from containers or bags, but fill up your plate. Don’t starve (there is a difference between being hungry and starving, btw). The idea is not to starve, but to shrink your stomach back to a reasonable size. This is especially important if you are a binge-eater and can consume six plate-fulls of food and thousands of calories per day. Don't try to overdo your efforts. Fill up. It is mightily difficult to get more than 1,700 calories on one plate. This is a form of de facto calorie-counting, but also invokes the fasting portion to reset and regulate blood-sugar levels and metabolism. This is why this plan works when others do not. There is a reason why every culture the world over has historically had fasting as an integral part of their regimens. It helps the mind and body.

C. Have ONE calorie beverage with the meal - this will help get your calories (beer, milk, or juices, but should generally be no more than 12 to 16 oz in size). Save the calorie-free beverages for later as meal replacements. You want your body to associate them with no insulin production.

D. Finish within ONE hour. Eat and be done with it.

#7) After the meal, only calorie-free liquid consumption can be had, like water, coffee, and teas. Diet sodas and water enhancers are also an option, but teas and coffees are preferred since they aid in weight loss tremendously and have next to no calories at all. It is best, however, to vary your beverages since you build up resistance to the weight loss effects if done every single day. Mix them up.

*** If you are diabetic and have unsafe blood-sugar drops, you can use juices to raise it back up, but only if medically necessary to do so. You don’t want your pancreas active during fasting. ***

#8) At least twice a week at meals, consume 1 cup of the juice of your choice with two tablespoons of raw, un-distilled apple cider vinegar. This is an old folk remedy, but will help enormously in losing weight. It makes the body more alkaline and has a plentitude of health benefits.

#9) Allow one splurge day per week. For this splurge, you will eat one meal or multiple throughout the day, but ignore the one-plate/one-beverage rules. Try not to gorge, but it’s ok if you do (generally, when you are more thirsty than hungry, you can stop eating). The splurge will push your metabolism into high gear and help to make up for any deficiencies. Vary your splurge days, but never have more than two splurge days back to back unless you are close to your goal weight.

#10) Try not to deviate from too many of the above rules. You can have what you want, but you only have 23 hours at the longest until your next meal. Don’t get talked out of it. OMAD doesn’t “teach your body to store fat,” does not “mess up your metabolism,” and is not “unhealthy.” Don’t listen to the parrots. They only know what they hear from the nonsense dietary wisdom of their time, which happens to be false.

This will work if you do it. “The shakes” will go away and you’ll feel better as the weeks progress, although the first week will be difficult. It is no different from a drug addict having to detox. You must learn to break your dependence on food. Your following your cravings and psychological eating is what made you need to lose weight in the first place, not pigging out at Thanksgiving. By eating at the same time everyday, you will never again struggle with weight for as long as you do this. But your body will always go for what it is IN your stomach instead of ON your stomach if you keep up the multiple feedings. This is why those who carry on about eating multiple times a day either don’t lose weight, or don’t lose beyond a certain point. Serious weight loss requires being a little hungry, even though this is against modern dietary advice.

This demands some sacrifice, yes, but the difficulty passes, and it calls for less sacrifice than merely “moderating” portions three times a day. It is precisely because this is difficult that you know it will work--because anything worth anything costs something. Don’t give up. It doesn’t matter what anyone else says or does. For you, you eat once a day. Stick to that resolution and the pounds will fall right off!

Thought this needed a bump up 🙂
  • Brendalea69
    @ryansmama04 read this ☝️
  • MARILYNENA
    MARILYNENA Posts: 51 Member
    As part of my OMAD I include a huge salad seasoned with acv.lemon juice mayonnaise and olive oil.....such a delicious creamy dressing! The rest is steak, fish, seafood, tuna, liver or other protein rich natural food.
  • arguablysamson
    arguablysamson Posts: 1,706 Member
    MARILYNENA wrote: »
    As part of my OMAD I include a huge salad seasoned with acv.lemon juice mayonnaise and olive oil.....such a delicious creamy dressing! The rest is steak, fish, seafood, tuna, liver or other protein rich natural food.

That's great.
  • itladyee
    itladyee Posts: 3,608 Member
    This is a perfect outline for me to get from 18:6 to OMAD, Thank you.

#1) Pick a goal weight range--not a weight, but a weight range of about 15 pounds since we humans are always in a state of flux. This will change as you get more confidence and approach where you first set out to be at.
    My goal weight range is 145 to 155. This may change as I get closer but for now, it looks about right.

#2) Weigh yourself to begin with.Weigh yourself when you wake up and use the same scale.
    Done

#3) Continue to weigh yourself ONLY ONCE every seven days.Don’t break this rule! Pick a day of the week and weigh yourself on that day without fail. Body weight fluctuates, so don’t weigh everyday. You will psych yourself out. For every 3,500 calories reduced over 7 days, that is generally 1 pound of body fat lost. You lose weekly, NOT daily. So weigh weekly.

I will be a rule breaker. Weighing daily is a habit and I think I would be more psyched out if my weekly weight went up without having the knowledge that it was lower during the week. So while weighing daily, I'm am using a 7 day average for comparison. I also logged what I'm eating daily, so when the scale goes up, I can review what I consumed and decide if it's justifiable or maybe I just didn't have enough water, etc etc.

#4) Set aside a 4-hour window to eat in.It should be the same time everyday. It can be morning, noon, or evening. It won’t change the results, but keep the same window everyday.

Right now I'm 18:6 with a window of 3:00pm to 9:00pm. I'd like to decrease this on the backend so...
    19:5 window 3:00pm to 8:00pm
    20:4 window 3:00pm to 7:00pm or 3:30pm to 7:30pm might work better.

#5) Eat your one meal within your window always.Do not vary the times.

Ok. My plan is to follow Gin Stephen's guideline with a light snack to open my window, dinner at 6ish and maybe a glass of wine prior to closing my window.

This is a new concept that I haven't heard before ]

A. Only ONE meal per day - no snacking or anything with calories afterwards. Any medications or supplements can be taken with the meal. Eat whatever you want. You'll find you crave healthier foods as time passes and your stomach shrinks. Don't worry about that now. Just no "junk food" (i.e. foods like chips or candy that you'd never want to make a meal of anyway).

B. Eat ONE average-sized dinner plate completely filled up - including any desserts, sauces, etc. No eating from containers or bags, but fill up your plate. Don’t starve (there is a difference between being hungry and starving, btw). The idea is not to starve, but to shrink your stomach back to a reasonable size. This is especially important if you are a binge-eater and can consume six plate-fulls of food and thousands of calories per day. Don't try to overdo your efforts. Fill up. It is mightily difficult to get more than 1,700 calories on one plate. This is a form of de facto calorie-counting, but also invokes the fasting portion to reset and regulate blood-sugar levels and metabolism. This is why this plan works when others do not. There is a reason why every culture the world over has historically had fasting as an integral part of their regimens. It helps the mind and body.

C. Have ONE calorie beverage with the meal - this will help get your calories (beer, milk, or juices, but should generally be no more than 12 to 16 oz in size). Save the calorie-free beverages for later as meal replacements. You want your body to associate them with no insulin production.

#7) After the meal, only calorie-free liquid consumption can be had, like water, coffee, and teas.Diet sodas and water enhancers are also an option, but teas and coffees are preferred since they aid in weight loss tremendously and have next to no calories at all. It is best, however, to vary your beverages since you build up resistance to the weight loss effects if done every single day. Mix them up.

*** If you are diabetic and have unsafe blood-sugar drops, you can use juices to raise it back up, but only if medically necessary to do so. You don’t want your pancreas active during fasting. ***

#8) At least twice a week at meals, consume 1 cup of the juice of your choice with two tablespoons of raw, un-distilled apple cider vinegar.This is an old folk remedy, but will help enormously in losing weight. It makes the body more alkaline and has a plentitude of health benefits.
    More new tips ~ hence, the reason I am here ]

#9) Allow one splurge day per week.For this splurge, you will eat one meal or multiple throughout the day, but ignore the one-plate/one-beverage rules. Try not to gorge, but it’s ok if you do (generally, when you are more thirsty than hungry, you can stop eating). The splurge will push your metabolism into high gear and help to make up for any deficiencies. Vary your splurge days, but never have more than two splurge days back to back unless you are close to your goal weight.

#10) Try not to deviate from too many of the above rules.You can have what you want, but you only have 23 hours at the longest until your next meal. Don’t get talked out of it. OMAD doesn’t “teach your body to store fat,” does not “mess up your metabolism,” and is not “unhealthy.” Don’t listen to the parrots. They only know what they hear from the nonsense dietary wisdom of their time, which happens to be false.

This will work if you do it. “The shakes” will go away and you’ll feel better as the weeks progress, although the first week will be difficult. It is no different from a drug addict having to detox. You must learn to break your dependence on food. Your following your cravings and psychological eating is what made you need to lose weight in the first place, not pigging out at Thanksgiving. By eating at the same time everyday, you will never again struggle with weight for as long as you do this. But your body will always go for what it is IN your stomach instead of ON your stomach if you keep up the multiple feedings. This is why those who carry on about eating multiple times a day either don’t lose weight, or don’t lose beyond a certain point. Serious weight loss requires being a little hungry, even though this is against modern dietary advice.

This demands some sacrifice, yes, but the difficulty passes, and it calls for less sacrifice than merely “moderating” portions three times a day. It is precisely because this is difficult that you know it will work--because anything worth anything costs something. Don’t give up. It doesn’t matter what anyone else says or does. For you, you eat once a day. Stick to that resolution and the pounds will fall right off!
  • arguablysamson
    arguablysamson Posts: 1,706 Member
    itladyee wrote: »
    This is a perfect outline for me to get from 18:6 to OMAD, Thank you.

My goal weight range is 145 to 155. This may change as I get closer but for now, it looks about right.

#2) Weigh yourself to begin with.Weigh yourself when you wake up and use the same scale.
    Done

#3) Continue to weigh yourself ONLY ONCE every seven days.Don’t break this rule! Pick a day of the week and weigh yourself on that day without fail. Body weight fluctuates, so don’t weigh everyday. You will psych yourself out. For every 3,500 calories reduced over 7 days, that is generally 1 pound of body fat lost. You lose weekly, NOT daily. So weigh weekly.

I will be a rule breaker. Weighing daily is a habit and I think I would be more psyched out if my weekly weight went up without having the knowledge that it was lower during the week. So while weighing daily, I'm am using a 7 day average for comparison. I also logged what I'm eating daily, so when the scale goes up, I can review what I consumed and decide if it's justifiable or maybe I just didn't have enough water, etc etc.

#4) Set aside a 4-hour window to eat in.It should be the same time everyday. It can be morning, noon, or evening. It won’t change the results, but keep the same window everyday.

Right now I'm 18:6 with a window of 3:00pm to 9:00pm. I'd like to decrease this on the backend so...
    19:5 window 3:00pm to 8:00pm
    20:4 window 3:00pm to 7:00pm or 3:30pm to 7:30pm might work better.

#5) Eat your one meal within your window always.Do not vary the times.

Ok. My plan is to follow Gin Stephen's guideline with a light snack to open my window, dinner at 6ish and maybe a glass of wine prior to closing my window.

This is a new concept that I haven't heard before ]

#7) After the meal, only calorie-free liquid consumption can be had, like water, coffee, and teas.Diet sodas and water enhancers are also an option, but teas and coffees are preferred since they aid in weight loss tremendously and have next to no calories at all. It is best, however, to vary your beverages since you build up resistance to the weight loss effects if done every single day. Mix them up.

#8) At least twice a week at meals, consume 1 cup of the juice of your choice with two tablespoons of raw, un-distilled apple cider vinegar.This is an old folk remedy, but will help enormously in losing weight. It makes the body more alkaline and has a plentitude of health benefits.
    More new tips ~ hence, the reason I am here ]

#9) Allow one splurge day per week.For this splurge, you will eat one meal or multiple throughout the day, but ignore the one-plate/one-beverage rules. Try not to gorge, but it’s ok if you do (generally, when you are more thirsty than hungry, you can stop eating). The splurge will push your metabolism into high gear and help to make up for any deficiencies. Vary your splurge days, but never have more than two splurge days back to back unless you are close to your goal weight.

#10) Try not to deviate from too many of the above rules.You can have what you want, but you only have 23 hours at the longest until your next meal. Don’t get talked out of it. OMAD doesn’t “teach your body to store fat,” does not “mess up your metabolism,” and is not “unhealthy.” Don’t listen to the parrots. They only know what they hear from the nonsense dietary wisdom of their time, which happens to be false.

I can feel your enthusiasm and thoroughness in the new journey! Get ready to totally TRANSFORM!