Introduce Yourself

Options

Replies

• mmabry72
    mmabry72 Posts: 100 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    Hi gang,
    I was an off and on jogger for many years. I typically jogged 3 or 4 times a month, 2 miles each time and only when the weather and stars aligned. I would try to do a 5k or 2 a year as well. I started jogging to help my kids get up to speed in cross country. They are now both way faster than me so I am back to running by myself. But starting on November 9 2014 to be exact I started taking running more serious for myself. I made a plan and have been running at least 5 times a week since. I started with 2 mile runs and am now doing 3 and 4 mile runs. And notice I use the word run now :) I don't have much desire to be great long distance runner, no marathons in my future, but I do want to get blazing fast in a 5k and I also hope to do my first 10k this year.
    Looking forward to some running tips, advice and support.
  • acarmon55
    acarmon55 Posts: 135 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    I am Amy. I am 37 from Kentucky. I completed the c25k program fall/winter 2013 and ended up with an injured right knee so I stopped running all together until this week. I restarted c25k and have only completed week 1 day 2. I don't have the desire to run in a race, but feel better when I am more physically active. I will be mainly be running on a treadmill for now. Look forward to the challenge to keep me motivated.
  • cooter_mom
    cooter_mom Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    Hello group!
    My name is Sonja. I'm 38, married, and mom to a 9 year old daughter. I used to run in high school, and since then, I've tried numerous times to get back to it. I've ran a few 5k's over the last couple years in a futile attempt to get the spark back. I had a hysterectomy in December of last year, and I've been walking on the treadmill to help with healing, as per the doc's ok. All of a sudden one day, a couple weeks ago, I got the urge to jog. So I did. I run SUPER slow. Like R E A L L Y slow, but speed will come, I'm not worried. But it felt great. I have since worked my way from a couple of minutes to about 20-25 minutes spread out over my 60 minute walk. I crave it now. I live in southern Alberta, Canada, so right now is not a good time to run outside for me. So I put Netflix on the iPad and get in the treadmill. I'm hoping this group and the February challenge keep me motivated to keep it up. I have a very obese family and I struggle with weight. I want to lose about 25 pounds, and I'd like to be a good role model for my daughter. I'm also in the midst of take a natural nutrition diploma. That's my story. Looking forward to February!! Thanks for this group and the challenge, Stan!
  • nicca_jb
    nicca_jb Posts: 1,278 Member
    Options
    HI! I'm Layla, or nicca. I started really running last year, finished C25K and ran a few fun 5Ks (Color Run, Beer Run, Halloween Run Like Hell...), and am starting to sign up again. I also became a member of Moon Joggers last year. Didn't quite get the mark I wanted to, but I tried.

I fell out of running last fall during some pretty chaotic times and I'm back into it now.

Re: the avatar, I'm one of the staff members of the Hogwarts Fitness Challenge. One of our current challenges for this term is logging miles, and what better way than to get back into running?

I'll be starting off treadmilling or running indoor tracks for now as we're in the middle of very icy and blizzardy weather up here in the Northeast. :) Goal is to move outdoors within 1-2 months.

Nice to meet you all!
  • kjev40
    Options
    Hi, I am Kristy. I live in snowy cold Michigan. I am running on the treadmill right now, hoping to get outside sometime in March. I have run most of my life but I have a tendancy to over train and injure myself. I am training for my first marathon in June so I have to try very hard to not go overboard. I usually like 5ks and 10ks but I thought I should at least try and run at least one marathon. I am looking forward to chatting with everyone.
  • mandster
    mandster Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    Hi everyone. I'm Mandy. I used to be very active before having children but for the last 9 years have did almost no exercise. Did try on a few occassions and would run for a few months but couldnt stick to it so drastic action was required! Signed up for a triathlon to get me motivated and it has definately worked.

I started exercising in November and usually do 3 swims/3-4 runs/2-3 bike rides per week. Only running about 25-30 miles per month at the moment but aiming for 40 miles in Feb. I have 2 sprint tri's booked - June and September - and the training has definately became a habit. I'm a born-again exerciser :-)
  • jessupbrady
    jessupbrady Posts: 508 Member
    Options
    Howdy y'all, I'm 40 yrs old and have spent a large part of my youth running through the mountains of southern AZ; It was when I was in the best shape of my life. Now, I am living in Northern Virginia and I am facing several challenges.

First, running in cold weather (It'll be more of a walk/jog thing for me for a while).

Second, running on pavement. Dirt mountain trails were always so exhilarating. Not so much running past homes. I've plans to explore areas around me for good hiking trails that are not so overcrowded I cannot run on them. Although, the snow has not hit us yet; it has mostly been rain. That makes the trails pretty useless here right now and I am going to have to wait on my endeavor to find places away from the street.

Also, we got a new husky in November. I am teaching the husky to run with my lab at a heal. That definitely impacts my speed. If not careful, the husky would use me as a human sled.

In addition, we just moved our horse to a barn close by so I will be at the barn more frequently. They have riding trails there so I might see how they would do for a run when the ground hardens up some more.

Lastly, my commute to work is 1.5 hours one way. Time is precious. I think I will be pushing myself to try and get 20 miles this month, but I need to push my limits and see what I can get myself to do.

exercise.png
  • farmerandvelvet
    farmerandvelvet Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    Hi! :) My name is Danielle and I live in Germany. I love to run, so I was happy to find this group. I set my goal last month for 50 miles and I did 70. This month I am going to really challenge myself and try to reach 150.

I'm excited to run with you all! :smile:
  • quirshi
    quirshi Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Hello everyone! I ran across this group today and would love to join. My name is Tara and I live in Florida. I am not new to running but I am getting back into the sport. I used to run all the time when I was in my 20's then quit after I did my first marathon. I have been trying to get back into it since and can use all of the motivation I can get! I have a fitbit that helps me make sure to get in at least 5 miles a day but of those miles I typically average only about 2 to 3 of them running. That being said, I have a goal of doing a 5K at the end of March and I got my new Hoka One One's (which I LOVE) so I am ready to go! So my goal for the remainder of this month is to do 27 miles. Let's do this!!
  • bellesb2015
    Options
    Hello everyone,

I guess I'm considered a fairly new runner. I started running late summer 2014. So far I've done 3 -10K's, 1-8K, and 2-5K's. I'm currently training to run my first half marathon on March 14th in Washington, D.C. #runrocknrollDC I have set a safe time goal of 2:45:00 but of course I really want to have a time closer to 2:35:00!!

I'm really pushing my training this month with more short maintenance runs of 4-5 miles Mon-Fri with my long runs of 9+ miles on the weekend! I'm super motivated!

exercise.png

• Nottafattie
    Nottafattie Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    Hi. My name is Anita. I've been running off and on for a few years for pleasure but didn't follow any regimen or specific training until now. Wanting to run my first half marathon with my sister in June. Way nervous about it but really excited too.
  • 9voice9
    9voice9 Posts: 693 Member
    Options
    Hi, I'm Dana, a 51 y/o guy trying to lose (and keep off!) the excess poundage. Several years ago, I got disgusted by seeing pictures of myself at #260, and started to do something about it. Started using a dreadmill at work, and eating a little better. Got challenged to run the 5K sponsored by my workplace, and finished it! Kept going, and finally got down to #204 before I started losing the good habits, and crept back up to #228 (as of mid-October 2014). That's when I got my FitBit, and restarted on MFP. Now I'm down to #186, on my way to ~#174, and we'll see from there.

Can't really say that I "love" running, but I certainly miss it when I skip a day (and get antsy about keeping up my 14.5K step/day average!). Right now, I'm running about 20 miles/week. My next challenge is going to be figuring out how to maintain my weight, balancing my running/stepping with a good eating plan.
  • Elise4270
    Elise4270 Posts: 8,375 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    I'm Elise. 44yo. I love the challenge of running. And would like to be "good" at it someday.

I've had a few doctors tell me not to run, which makes me want to do it all the more. What do they know? They're doctors, not runners. ;)

I have some back issues. I have relatively no support group (my husband doesn't seem to understand how debilitating it can be), I'm an introvert, self reliant, and stubborn. And I'm goofy (i.e. socially awkward, bit of an brainiac too).

I love the running community (not just on mfp). They are accepting and helpful people. I admire their dedication and hard work. I couldnt think of a better group of people to emulate.
  • pjstivan
    pjstivan Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Hi, I'm Pennie. Two years ago I had the running bug and lost it once my daughter moved back home and the treadmill got covered with boxes. I ran my 1st 5K three years ago and realized the huge difference between treadmill running and actually running outdoors. My goal is to pick up the bug again slowly and once the snow clears up a bit try to alternate outdoors. I'm going to start this challenge with 50 miles for the month. I do need to dig out the treadmill. :)
  • Chyll88
    Chyll88 Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    Hello Everyone!

My name is Tara and I'm new to this group. After constant health battles, I'm going all in. Must get the weight off and work to keep it off. I'm walking and doing 10,000 steps a day and loving it. Waiting for the weather to change so I can get back on my bike! I have so much work to do on my body:-)
  • atayh95
    atayh95 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Hi! I'm Aryn, pretty new to running. When I found the challenge group, I was very excited! Running is something I enjoy, it always pushes me.
  • nickylee76
    nickylee76 Posts: 629 Member
    Options
    Hi I am Nicky. I started running a couple years ago. Mostly 5Ks and mud runs. This last year I started challenging myself more and did a 10K, and 8 milelocal hot cocoa run and then the 15 K hot chocolate run in Chicago. I was so happy I did that so I signed up for my first half not long after under the pretense of it is just 3.5 more miles..... since November it has been freezing out and I can barely manage 5 miles on the treadmill.... now I am worried. LOL I start outside running again this week!!! Wish me luck!! My half is in May.
  • Timby1
    Timby1 Posts: 294 Member
    Options
    Hi I'm Kim. I'm 53 years old and my goal in general is to do a Tough Mudder in 2016. Part of being able to do a TM is being able to go 12 -14 miles plus the obstacles. So, now I'm becoming a runner (albeit a slooowww runner). I have done a 5k and a Ridiculous Obstacle Course Run but it's been over a year. I have a 5k in April, a 10k in May and thinking of signing up for a 1/2 in October of this year. Never thought of myself as a runner, but find I am enjoying the longer runs. Looking forward to April as I've joined a couple (one on MFP) challenges to run 100 miles in April. That's gonna be hard, but I'm willing to give it my best shot!
  • kiwiOT
    kiwiOT Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    Hi Im Melody. Im 26 and definitely a newbie at running just for the sake of running. I ran a lot in high school but never noticed how much because I did it for sports and just general activity. My high school PE teacher used to make us do 5km runs in under 30 mins and I remember I used to always finish at the 29min mark. That was when I was young, toned and fit. Im now overweight by 17kg and want to lose weight. Im an avid cycler and swimmer. I avg about 1.3km per week in the pool. I also work in healthcare so I walk a ton in the hospital I work at and I just recently got back into hiking and I love it. I have a goal to do a 5km run and complete the Grouse Grind (a local mountain hike).

When I swim, usually by lap 7 I get what you call an energy high where I'm in the zone and I just can't stop because it feels so good to swim. I would like to experience that with running. So far Ive mainly just been doing a bit of treadmill stuff due to bad weather (I refuse to join those crazies who run in the pouring rain here in Vancouver). I usually speed walk 5 mins, run 3-4 mins, speed walk 2 mins, run 3-4 mins and so on. That seems to be all I can do for now. My challenge is figuring out how to push myself esp in outside context where Im easily distracted and I trip over stuff easily either hurting myself or just looking like a dork, either way I struggle with outdoor running compared to treadmill where I can set and change the level and I just do it much better..
  • bringon30
    bringon30 Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    I'm Tara. 30 years old. I'm married and have 4 kiddos, 2 of which I homeschool. I was NEVER interested in running in school. I did it only when we were forced to in PE. Now, I absolutely love it, even though it's still difficult most times. I guess it's a stress reliever. :wink: I ran my 2nd 5K race a couple of weeks ago and will do my 3rd in 3 more weeks. I'm just super stoked that I found this group!