Introduce Yourself

Replies

• Chrissy_1516
    Chrissy_1516 Posts: 639 Member
    Hi everyone,

I'm Christina and I live in Nova Scotia. I used to run all the time, I did cross-country, track, soccer, anything that involved running. Since I started working as an RN and doing shift work, I really slacked off and I am looking to get back to what I enjoy. My goal this month is 100 km. Might be a little ambitious but I like a challenge!
  • christianegaw
    christianegaw Posts: 3 Member
    dchillin65 wrote: »
    Thanks for the invite! It's nice to see so many active runners! My name is Debi (49 years young) and I'm married to another runner. It's nice because I have someone close to help push me when needed. I started running a couple of years ago as a THIS IS IT moment on my birthday. I was so proud finishing a 5k at 48:41. After years of losing and gaining weight, I finally found something that I could add to my other forms of exercise. Now, it's become a "makes me happy" habit. I love Focus T25, Insanity and running 3-5 days a week. Completed 5 5K races (PR 28:43) so far this year with one coming up on mother's day that I will run with my adult daughter.

I'm fast becoming an AM and PM runner but find after work runs more challenging due to my stress level/tiredness. I'm working on improving my 5K time and adding more miles to my runs. So far my 2014 mileage is 148.

I'm really looking forward to this challenge group.
    Stoshew71 wrote: »
    Please post a little something here if you are new to the group and/or challange.

My name is Stan. I will be creating each thread to log your runs at the end of each previous month.
    I am also the creater and administrator of this group.
    I was an on and off runner. When I was growing up, I ran because of the sports I was playing at the time. By highschool, I stuck with football and wrestling. never did do track or cross country. I tried out for the wrestling team in college but too many studs. After college, sports was still a part of me. Mostly pickup basketball games or spring softball leagues. When I reached the end of my 30's I became a slouch. I then started running as a way to loose weight. Since October of 2013, I began running consistently. I now have a 10K and half marathon under my belt. I have another 10K at the end of May and hope to do my first full marathon in December. I guess you may say, I caught the runners bug. I hope (for whatever reason you got here) you will learn to enjoy running too.

• krdews
    krdews Posts: 124 Member
    Hi I'm Karen, I've been running for 20+ years and although I've been known to take break - I love to run. Recently lost several pounds and have increased my endurance, speed and general enjoyment of running. In an effort to stay motivated through the dog, hot, humid days of summer (not to mention vacation and all the fun that summer entails) I'm doing the July challenge... thanks for organizing Stan and good luck to ALL!
  • tiffyree23
    tiffyree23 Posts: 52 Member
    Hi! My name is Tiffany and I am striving to be a runner. Last year I worked my way up to running 5k's a few times a week before circumstance derailed my efforts. I am back in the game and looking forward to getting back to where I left off, and beyond. I have worked my way up to running a mile, and am working on making that mile 3 to 4 times a week. Last week I was able to do it twice and a 3/4 mile on another day. Surprisingly, I haven't gotten shin splints this time around (THANK GOODNESS) but am battling foot pain (UGH!). Consistency is key!
  • 77irises
    77irises Posts: 11 Member
    edited July 2015
    Hello, my name is Laura (38 years old). I disliked most sports as a kid, loved tennis, though. Running was anathema to me, mainly because of poor experiences in P.E. However, as an adult trying weight loss, I began running a little bit a few years ago, but then fell off the health wagon. I have recently begun an active health and fitness regimen, and I think joining a group like this will help me not only meet my goals, but enable me to continue a healthy lifestyle.

I am currently training for a 5K with a 16-17 minute mile. I'm a total beginner, and I've got to start somewhere. :)
  • MindyG150
    MindyG150 Posts: 1,295 Member
    Hi all, I'm Mindy, I have walked for years and trying to get up to the running speed. Right now I'm at a 12 minute mile that some people can beat just walking but hey...I'm off the couch and trying. I don't really have much of a long term goal except to be healthy and have an outlet. I have set my goal at 80 miles for the month of August and plan to beat that goal! Now if we can just get the temperature in Portland to fall below 90!
  • Nettiejb
    Nettiejb Posts: 18 Member
    Hi. My name is Annette. I started running at the start of the year and I am training for my first half marathon in September this year. I have had a few set backs in my training in recent months, but the time to step it up and let nothing get in my way has come. I have 5 & half weeks left. Xx
  • becbo22
    becbo22 Posts: 283 Member
    Hello!
    I'm Becca. I've been running off and on for a few years and have recently gotten back into it. I have a bad leg that sometimes gives me trouble, but I'm trying. I did one 5k last year and I'd love to build up to doing more. I am now doing anywhere between 1.5-3 miles 5 or 6 days a week.
  • deanna0127
    deanna0127 Posts: 7 Member
    Hi, I'm Deanna. So glad I found this challenge. I run 3-4 days during the week, usually early morning for about 3-3.5 miles then a long run on the weekend. I just finished my first marathon and possibly my last, I think I prefer the half-marathon distance. I'm not fast at all, but I would like to be.
  • AngieMc6
    AngieMc6 Posts: 5 Member
    ~~~waving to all. I'm Angie Mc, a newish runner with a 5K & 8K under my belt, preparing for my first 10K on Thanksgiving 2015. I ran my first race Thanksgiving 2014, a 2 mile fun run. The previous Thanksgiving, 2013, I walked the "fun run" as in years past and decided that it wasn't fun when I didn't run; there my story begins. Prior to that I never ran or did formal athletics so my only answer to "Why now, grandma?" is "Why not?!" I'm rooting for you all & thanks for making this group available, Stan.
  • lindsayraync
    lindsayraync Posts: 3 Member
    I'm Lindsay and I'm a runner who has taken a couple of years off from running who has gotten back into it the past couple of months. I completed the C25K program and now I am on the 10K training program. I have completed 5 half marathons and I would like to get my half marathon endurance back within a year. I have no races coming up and am just focusing on running for exercise right now. I am running three days a week and hope to increase to four days a week. I would like to be able to increase my 12 minute mile pace to 10 minute miles one day.
  • snha
    snha Posts: 388 Member
    Hi, I am Samer. I got into running three years ago for the first time in my life. I did C25K training and ran a race in my town. I did so well and loved running as an idea. But soon thereafter, life happened and I did not run since then. A month ago I got back into training and running--need to lose some weight, but needing to be in shape. So, I am doing the C25K again and registered for a 5 k race in late September. It's been going well. I am in my fifth week of training, but am doing more than what's called for in the program, just because I am using running as a way to spend calories as well. Love challenges and just found this one out.

I had such a good time (for me) last time around: 24:29. I would like to beat that this time (although that's doubtful for now!)

I completed 19.7 miles already in August and my plan as of today is to run a total of 50 miles. We'll see how that pans out!
  • allyk9380
    allyk9380 Posts: 1 Member
    Hi, I am Allison and I live outside of Boston. I am on week 4 of the C25K program and, so far, I am loving it. I completed the Providence 1/2 marathon on 2012. I jogged some of it but did a lot of walking. It was not a realistic goal for myself. I am proud of the accomplishment for sure but if I were to do it again, I'd focus more and train better. I don't have that "runners high" yet...maybe that will come?? But I don't hate it either so I guess that is good. If I miss a day at the gym, I don't like how I feel. I prefer early morning runs (5 a.m.) to set the tone for my day but anytime will do. I feel so accomplished after.
    I haven't really paid attention to how many miles I've gone but, based on many of the posts on here, it looks like people like to hit 50 miles per month. That sounds like an attainable goal that I look forward to challenging myself with. Are people liking the C25K programs? So far I am finding it very useful and plan to move to the 10K after. My goal is to run the Falmouth Road Race next summer.
  • Jennifer8348683
    Jennifer8348683 Posts: 50 Member
    Hi, I'm Jennifer. I joined this group to get some extra motivation, increase my speed and distance and to help me prepare for a half marathon I am doing in September. I currently run about 80 km/month and my average pace is 6:00 min/km. I would love to have some runner friends with me on MFP. Feel free to add me. Good luck with your goals. :)
  • kmarc33
    kmarc33 Posts: 25 Member
    Hi All, I'm KC, from Bridgewater, NJ. I've been running off and on for about 4 years, although I've been pretty steady the last 6 months. I just tracked distance my first month (Aug 2015) and was at exactly 100 miles. I do more Heart Rate running rather than distance/pace based, but my Dr. is happy with what I'm doing. He diagnosed me with OFG years ago (I get along great with my Dr, he's very straight with me since OFG = Old Fat Guy ;-) and he told me to eat better, loose weight and exercise. I've done several 5K's, hoping to do a 10K and maybe a half in the next few months.
  • aprilcanrun
    aprilcanrun Posts: 62 Member
    Hi, my name's April, currently living in Hampshire, UK. I have been running off and on since high school, but have recently got back into it after 2-3 years off. I moved to a new area and after completing the c25k (for like the 5th time in my life :grimace: ) I joined a running club, which has been one of the best things I've done for my health and myself! Everyone is lovely and encouraging, and they never get sick of talking about running! I am working up to a half marathon in Feb, but the longest I have run so far is 70 minutes/6 miles (last sunday) so I am looking forward to increasing miles and fitness!
  • Alice_Luther
    Alice_Luther Posts: 93 Member
    Hi,
    Im Alice from Sheffield UK. I started running over a year ago to loose some weight and a year ago i joined a club to run in events. Since then ive lost 4 stone and completed several events with my proudest being a marathon last may. Joined this group to motivate me to up my miles and stick with it after a life event set me back a little. Looking forward to the miles! Feel free to follow me on strava
  • MamaMollyT
    MamaMollyT Posts: 197 Member
    Hi I'm Molly and recently lost my BRF (best running friend). She moved back to New Zealand and I'm finding I'm struggling to complete miles that used to fly by with great company. So hoping this gives me a kick in the pants to complete my 100 miles/month.
  • tiffanyfoundit
    tiffanyfoundit Posts: 130 Member
    edited October 2015
    Hi! I'm tiffany. I've been running everyday and getting bored with my goals, so I'm excited to look for a new challenge so I can change it all up when I want.
    I'm shooting for 150 miles. Should push me and I'm pretty excited for the challenge.
  • Kimberly810
    Kimberly810 Posts: 8 Member
    I started running a couple years ago after being a complete non runner my whole life. I started bc I received personal training sessions and didn't stay with it once on my own. Now it's a couple years, another baby, and an extra 15 ish lb later, and I would like to get back into it again. So here I am!