Introduce Yourself

Replies

• ftrMrsC
    ftrMrsC Posts: 11 Member
    Hi I'm Kenna. I had my daughter in November and used to be an avid runner. I am trying to get back into running and ran my first 5k yesterday since having my baby. I live in Arizona so I'm limited to running early morning and evening because of the heat. I love running as an exercise because I can take the baby with me. I'm a looking forward to this running challenge so I can keep accountable !
  • Aarjono
    Aarjono Posts: 228 Member
    Hi, I'm Karen. I'm 51 and have about 90 pounds to lose. I've always been interested in running, but always found excuses not to. In March I was inspired by the story of the 500+ pound man who is committing to do a 5k a month. Blew my excuses right out the window. So, I have started hiking with my dog 2-3 miles every day using the lolo Easy 5k workout at the beginning of each hike. We both feel great so far. I've signed up for a 5k in early May. My long term goal is to complete the Krispy Kreme Challenge next year.
  • carmellagoodman
    carmellagoodman Posts: 1 Member
    edited April 2015
    Hi, I'm Carmella. 47 - Wife, Mother of 4 all still at home, ages 7-18. I ran in Jr High and HS, track and cross country. Loved it all. I gained some weight when I was 16 going on 17 and went from 105 lbs to 179 lbs and have yo-yo'd along for 30 years. Lowest I've been in that time is 147. Currently I've been on a losing streak for the past 5 weeks and I'm down 9 lbs. Doesn't sound like much, but I'm determined to keep going. From the time I was a teen I continued running off an on until the last 6 years. Dropped way down to just walking because I think I was depressed, but at least I continued walking. Now I have not done "walking" for exercise since September, had a piece of hardware in my foot from surgery 12 years ago that was broken and the pain was too much, so I had it removed in December 2014. I'm ready to get back to walking, got so new shoes and I'm ready to get moving again. I'll do a mile a day for exercise and anything more is just a bonus. My goal is to work my way into running, but for now it will just be walking at a brisk pace. I'll try to run though. Thanks for starting this group Stan and I hope to continue with getting healthy and finding my zone again. I've created my ticker and I'm ready to go. Here's my ticker link: http://tickers.tickerfactory.com/ezt/t/wUEE8UV/exercise.png[/img
  • runningagainstmyself
    runningagainstmyself Posts: 616 Member
    Hi, I'm Carrie. I run 2-3x/wk currently but am working on changing it to 3-4x/wk. Average run is 5km/3.1mi, with a long run of 10km/6mi and currently training for a 21.1km/13.1mi., so definitely need to have some accountability! I'm primarily a PM runner but throw the odd bright day run in. Haven't run any races this year ($$$ is awful) but am planning on running a HM in October with the goal of running the full marathon the next year (bucket list goal - complete a full marathon before I turn 30!). Right now my primary goal is getting the mileage in, so distance is a thing. Nice meeting you all!

exercise.png
  • mwilke
    mwilke Posts: 378 Member
    Hello all,

My name is Melissa. I am a beginning runner. I completed C25K a couple of years ago and then quit running/ working out all together. I am back to both now, and looking for ways to keep myself accountable. Ultimately, I would love to get in good enough shape to run at least a half. But for now, just running for 10 minutes without stopping will be great. Look forward to sharing progress with you all and seeing your progress!
  • Diana_GettingFit
    Diana_GettingFit Posts: 458 Member
    I'm brand new to running. I never thought I'd take it up. I used to be out of breath running for a bus! But I've started walking and running in a local park and I would like to push my running to build my stamina. So something like this seems ideal for me. As this is my first time I'm going to set a low target of 40 miles and see how I go.
  • Ohhim
    Ohhim Posts: 1,142 Member
    Hey - I'm bad at reading fine print and just discovered the group page (despite being referenced at the top of each challenge).

Ended up losing about 90lb via MPF over the past 3 years and as I'm very goal oriented, so I figure I'd shift my focus away from weight loss goals and switch to fitness goals.

Took up running about 2.5 years back (running my first 5k in Feburary 2013, first 10 miler in May 2013, first half in February 2014, and first full marathon in May 2014). Took up triathlons last year (sprint & olympic). Given the improvement so far, suspect I'll have a shot at Boston (and Kona) in another 5 years, but know that things will likely plateau, or qualifying standards will become even more absurd. At this point, I'm just looking to continuously make incremental gains in running & cycling (and to some extent swimming), via 2 marathons/year, another 2-3 halfs, and 2-3 triathlons.

Otherwise, just a retired snowbird (Tampa metro/Pittsburgh), who attends a few too many sporting events in his free time.
  • nic632
    nic632 Posts: 295 Member
    I'm new to running and just completed week 3 of C25K. I don't have the confidence to run in public so I go on my treadmill at home, unfortunately it's set at a 5% incline and can't be adjusted. I do a lot of walking as I don't drive and I've been told that I'd probably be able to do a 5k quite easily considering the speed I go when it's on the incline. However I'm still going to stick to the plan as I would like to be able to run 5k in 30mins and after the C25K is done I will be following with the C210K programme, maybe then I will have the confidence to run outside.
  • JimCrackinDandy
    JimCrackinDandy Posts: 146 Member
    Hi all! My name is Katie and I started running much too late in life. Just over 3 years ago. I'm 42. I started with C25k and have continued since. I ran my first marathon in 2013. I love to run, and I hate injuries. I'm again training with a Hal Hidgon's guide for a Sept. Marathon. Setting my goal at 80 miles for this month. Thanks for starting this group Mr. Stan! Many blessings to all you wonderful runners!!!
  • chazdiezal
    chazdiezal Posts: 87 Member
    Hello everyone!! My name is Charles and I just started back running a few months ago. I completed C25K a couple years ago then stopped running due to injuries. I thought if I could get some weight off I would stop injuring myself. That never happened so I just started focusing on better running form and running came naturally. I've completed a couple of 10 milers and 1 half. I'm currently training for another half come Aug and then the Marine corps marathon in Oct. I only try to run early am so my struggle is turning off the gadgets and getting to bed at a decent time the night before. My goal is 65 mi this month and gradually increasing until race week, nice meeting you all and thanks for sharing your stories!
  • ThatLadyFromMN
    ThatLadyFromMN Posts: 301 Member
    Hello, my name is Lisa and I am from Bloomington, MN... I started running about a month ago. A co-worker goes with me once a week, on our very first run (my first run since high school gym class) was 3.5 miles (40 minutes)... it was the longest and furthest run I'd ever had... I'd never even ran a quarter of a mile non-stop... EVER! Needless to say I thought I was going to die. Haha. But now I'm able to run 2.5-3.5 miles on my own (still super slow at about 12-13 minute miles).. and when I run with him I can run 40-50 minutes... needless to say he doesn't let me stop and he pushes me further.
  • Losingthelbs34
    Losingthelbs34 Posts: 10 Member
    edited May 2015
    Hi my name is Dayna! I am 25 years old and I am married and have 2 children. I started running last year but previously I ran in high school. I am coming into this challenge late... Hope that's ok. I usually like to run after work but mainly early morning or late night runs are my favorite.
  • LCC42
    LCC42 Posts: 3 Member
    Hey everybody just checking-in to say hello. My name is Chris I'm 44 and I live in Frederecksburg, VA. Just 4 years ago I began running for the enjoyment of it all not because I had too (military). So for turning 40, as a present to myself I ran my first marathon. I've ran a second since then with several 1/2 marathons in between. I ran a half last weekend in Richmond, and plan to run another half this weekend here in Fredericksburg. All of this leading up to running my 3rd Marathon in October. Feeling exicited! Who knew turning 40 would open up new doors of excitement.
  • LCC42
    LCC42 Posts: 3 Member
    Oh, and I try to log in 20-30 miles a week. It will increase over the next few months.
  • rlaymon2127
    rlaymon2127 Posts: 39 Member
    Hey guys, I'm Becky! 27, married and 2 kids :D I've been mindlessly walking for the last month but this past week something clicked somewhere in my head and I could swear i could hear my body screaming RUN!!! So i did and have been doing it every day. I'm overweight so I'm embarrassed to have people see me exercise but after a day or so I was able to block everything out including sneers from others and just go for it. At the moment i realized i no longer cared about what others thought of me i also realized that that was what i thought made a runner and so I must be a runner! So here i am to see what I can really do!
  • 7lenny7
    7lenny7 Posts: 3,481 Member
    Hey All!,

I just posted my intro in the May challenge but see that I should have posted it here. Oops! Here's what I wrote:

Hey, just saw this thread. As it happens, I just started running this month. May 9th I went with a group to a 5k brewery run/walk (instead of a t-shirt you get a mug and a pint of beer), with every intention of walking it. One of the guys in our group said he was going to run the whole thing, and I took the bait and said I would too.

I had been fitness walking for two months, getting my pace down to 15 minute miles, but I haven't run with fitness in mind since high school football, 30 years ago. Thankfully the guy made me go a lot slower than I wanted to go and I shocked myself by running the entire route. My leg muscles were very sore for several days after that!

I went from zero interest in running to getting really excited about it in about 37 minutes. I was quite proud of my time! Instantly I knew I was going to start running regularly. Since then I've run at least 5k every other day, stopping only to pick up dog crap when I take my lab with me. I have a second 5k race schedule for Memorial Day and look to improve my time by a few minutes (I'm already down to 32 minutes for 5k on my own).

I went to a running store and had my gait analyzes (bought some Brooks Glycerin 12's), bought some running clothes, and I find myself having a hard time waiting for my next run. Tonight I'll be running the same course as my Monday race, trying to get to a 10 minute pace. I have tentatively planned a 10k for mid July.
  • sscott79
    sscott79 Posts: 13 Member
    Hi! I'm glad I found this little group :). I typically run 50-60mi/ month. This month I'm shooting for 75. I've been running about 11 years now and have run up to a marathon. I PR'd my 10k last week and I'm thinking about working on my 1/2 time. I sold running shoes for a while and am a bit of a running shoe junkie. Well. Running gear in general. I also do TRX and a few Tabbata style classes during the week as well. If you want to follow, my Garmin Connect name is StephJoy. Happy Running.
  • rajnigandha21
    rajnigandha21 Posts: 121 Member
    edited May 2015
    Hi! I am Rajni from Bangalore, India. Running has been my long time dream. Now I have started c25k. Day two was today and I am already feeling excited for coming days! I did run on treadmills but road experience was different. Would be needing your tips and advise being a total novice on roads.
  • Virkati
    Virkati Posts: 679 Member
    Hello everyone! I've been walking for quite awhile now and my body said to push a little harder so I started "jogging" (I can walk MUCH faster than I jog!). After doing that a few times, just on a whim, I ran from point A to point B...was like 10 seconds maybe, and I've been determined to actually be able to run since then. Joining a running group seems like a no-brainer!
  • cdpm
    cdpm Posts: 297 Member
    Hey everyone!
    New to the group, but I have been running for the last few years. Completed several 10ks and 1 half marathon (don't think I'll be doing another!) My goals have always been to run the whole race without walking, but this year I've decided I want to do a sub 1 hour 10k. Any advice on how to this would be great!

I'm from London England, and I run mostly just to de-stress and have some me time whilst singing along to my music. I run on the roads early in the morning to avoid the taste of smog and people staring!

Just signed up for the June challenge & looking forward to it :)
    exercise.png