May Challenges

Options
jeanmrob
jeanmrob Posts: 634 Member
Hi everyone! :smile:

Hope we are all relatively happy with our April Challenge....... I lost the 5 pounds but have put one back on, so four in total....but happy with that...I think having the Challenge did make me focus.......

As a few of us are almost where we want to be weightwise I am not sure what to suggest for May. I think maybe it would be appropriate for us all to set ourselves a personal challenge to suit our needs.........what do you all think?

I have a couple of trips in May ,,,starting tomorrow.....so I think a realistic goal for me would be in terms of exercise rather than concentrating on weight loss...hopefully one may lead to the other...lol So I will pledge to clock up over 10,000 steps EVERY day this month. Plus any other exercise I can fit in. This will not be that easy...some days I do really well and others it's a struggle but I will make more effort on those days....even if it is marching on the spot in front of the TV all evening! :tongue:

Looking forward to reading about your personal challenges for May....... or join me in mine..... :bigsmile:

Jean

Replies

• Rebamae
    Rebamae Posts: 741 Member
    Options
    Hey, Jean!

Thanks for starting this. I want to go for two goals: 1. l want to loose 5 lbs. 2. I am going to do 6000 steps per day until the 15th then hopefully, I will be able to do 10,000 each day. I know I need to work up gradually so that is why I am splitting the month in half.

Let's make May a very good month for each of us.
    Reba
  • sandiebro
    sandiebro Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    Great idea.

I am just going to aim for the goal of losing 5lbs and fit exercise around as and when. I try to use my exercise bike for a bit each day but yesterday had gallbladder pain in the morning which made me feel exhausted for the rest of the day so I don't feel, at the moment, that I can be too rigid about exercise goals. The upside of the gb scenario is that I avoid anything with fat in it! Show me a piece of cake and my reaction is yuk.

Back to the topic - my goal will be to lose 5lbs in May.
  • grandmothercharlie
    grandmothercharlie Posts: 1,361 Member
    Options
    My goal for May will be to get to 185! That's 7.5 pounds. That will put me below 35 BMI and no longer eligible for bariatric surgery.

That may be hard because I am going to be on vacation starting tomorrow. I won't be back until the 12th. I'm going to just plan on relaxing, enjoying my new vision, cope with the shingles, and get in some exercise.

I will have the opportunity to hike some. But probably won't get in too many other steps. I might try to do some Leslie Sansone from my computer in my room, to make sure I get some cardio in. I have never done a video so I don't know if I will like it. I'm not going to strictly stick to 1200 calories a day, but won't go crazy either.

Guess my goal until I get back is to have fun. I will have wi-fi I think so I should be able to log in every day.

When I get back, I'll see where I am and get some other goals for myself.
  • Rebamae
    Options
    Charlie, where are you going?? It sounds like a wonderful time! Please relax and enjoy!
  • hayleyandpaigesgrandma
    hayleyandpaigesgrandma Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    My goal for May will be at least 5 lbs. My poor daughter moved on Tuesday and managed to fall off the new porch. She has one badly bruised and two broken ribs along with a severely swollen ankle. She hit the wooden frame around a garden when she fell. Her brother is going over to help her husband get the heavy stuff done. So we will go on the weekwnd to help. She is about an hour or more away. At least I'll get some extra exercise in.
  • californiagirl1950
    californiagirl1950 Posts: 897 Member
    Options
    Ok I think for May, I will get back into exercising at least 5 days a week and hope to lose at least 3 pounds. I have to start my mind set back to being good and watching what junk I put into my mouth!!

Today I walked for 20 minutes at a fairly good pace for the first time since getting the new hip in March! Felt so good to be outside in the fresh cool air. I actually have missed my walks. Crazy sounding for me to say, but so true.

Happy May Day to all. May you each accomplish what you set out to do.
  • Rebamae
    Options
    My goal for May will be at least 5 lbs. My poor daughter moved on Tuesday and managed to fall off the new porch. She has one badly bruised and two broken ribs along with a severely swollen ankle. She hit the wooden frame around a garden when she fell. Her brother is going over to help her husband get the heavy stuff done. So we will go on the weekwnd to help. She is about an hour or more away. At least I'll get some extra exercise in.

I am so very sorry about your daughter. OUCH!! Has she had her ankle checked?
  • Mariang165
    Mariang165 Posts: 2,147 Member
    Options
    Ok, I'm in even though I am the sloth of the group :blushing: , who whines even when she walks for 15 minutes! I checked my April logs and I walked 10 times in the month of April (hey for me that is a miracle!). So my goal for May is. (Drum roll pls):

Walk at least 15 times (a 50% increase I believe)
    I have to walk a minimum of 20 minutes for it to count as a walk, 15 minutes does't cut it in May.

Thanks Jean for organizing this month's challenge.
  • missyfit13
    missyfit13 Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    Hi,

I'm new to the group and to MFP. My goal for May will be to lose 2 lbs. That isn't much, but I have been stuck at my current weight so long that seeing it go down 2 lbs will be good. I will try to walk dogs every day, get in 10,000 steps 6 days out of 7, and quit sitting down in the morning. When I first retired, I decided I would clean, work outside, do projects, or go somewhere every day until about 1:00pm, then I could sit down and rest. Nine years later I am finding myself sitting every morning for 2 hours before I get going, then I'm too tired. I've done well for the past 2 days!
  • gramanana
    gramanana Posts: 762 Member
    Options
    Hi Jean! I like this idea of challenging ourselves, so I'm in.

My goal with be to exercise for 60 min 4 days a week minimum and to cut back on the chocolate that I so love.

Thanks.
  • ukaryote
    ukaryote Posts: 874 Member
    Options
    goal: go to the gym at 6 am, 3 times per week before work.

this does several things:
    1. I'm out of the house so the family can't make even MORE last-minute requests. Then I'm late for work.

2. Saves time because, well, I clean up after getting sweaty. No one notices they are PJs. At least, no one has commented on my Hello Kitty sweat pants.

3. I am tired and more relaxed at work when some yutz makes yet another design change.
  • Claud1313
    Claud1313 Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    Hi,
    I'm new to MFP and would like to join your group. You seem well motivated, focused and spread hope through your posts.

I am 65, I eat (mostly) healthfully, try to exercise 2-3 times a week but I am overweight by about 20-25 pounds. I tend to eat a lot.
    My exercise will be limited for about 8 weeks since I broke my ankle two weeks ago. While I sit up, I've been doing some upper body weights with light dumb bells.

I need encouragement and can be supportive as well.

I would be happy to lose 1 pound a week, however, I can't step on the scale yet. But I will be able to tell by my clothes.

Thank you and good luck to everyone during the May challenge.

Happy Trails,
    Claudine
  • hayleyandpaigesgrandma
    hayleyandpaigesgrandma Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    Welcome I haven't been here very long but I found a lot of support here. Feel free to add me as a friend if you want.
  • ker95texas
    ker95texas Posts: 304 Member
    Options
    I'm going to be the latecomer - will figure out what my personal challenge(s) are over the weekend (when I find out just how bad the pollen is?).

I DO know I would like to lose at least 6 pounds by the end of the month in time for the big picnic, so will throw that one in the pot.

BTW - LOL on the Hello Kitty pants!!! :bigsmile:
    Claud- so sorry about your ankle. Puts a bit of a crimp in any walking exercise, huh? :flowerforyou:
    and WTG on everyone's goal settings! No slugs in this group!!

(except for maybe me......... :huh: )
  • marca_june
    marca_june Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    I'd be happy to join in the May challenge. I would like to lose 5 lb. again! I lost 4.5 lb. last month and was happy with that! A very good motivator! If anyone would like to be friends, that would be wonderful! Thanks and good luck everyone!
  • Claud1313
    Claud1313 Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    Thank you. I can do some upper body stuff. Hope the pollen isn't brutal for you this week-end. Good Luck.
  • Wooken3
    Wooken3 Posts: 634 Member
    Options
    0054.gif

May challenge will be:

biking 250 miles -- must be by May 20th as we're leaving town :happy:

lose 2-3 pounds by month end -- seems like these last 10 pounds are the hardest :sad:

Start to do upper-body-workouts -- I have legs like steel and arms like jell-o :laugh:

“Nothing of great value in life comes easily. The things of highest value sometimes come hard. The gold that has the greatest value lies deepest in the earth, as do the diamonds.” ~Norman Vincent Peale
  • jackjb2
    jackjb2 Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    My goal is to lose 10 lbs for the month of May. I will go to the gym five days a week and also ride my bicycle (hopefully 4 times a week) Feel free to add me and lets all work hard to achieve our May challenge goals
  • ukaryote
    ukaryote Posts: 874 Member
    Options
    Hi,
    I'm new to MFP and would like to join your group. You seem well motivated, focused and spread hope through your posts....
    Happy Trails,
    Claudine

Claudine, you are so kind.

Motivated? Well, the shirt buttons were threatening to become missiles.
    Any focus is due to the drugs (Oh look, a bunny!)
    And spreading hope ... the other members have been so encouraging, it is catching.
  • Rebamae
    Options
    Hi,
    I'm new to MFP and would like to join your group. You seem well motivated, focused and spread hope through your posts.

Welcome Claudine! This is a great group for motivation and information.