May 2014 Walk Challenge

Options

Replies

• SCOTTJACKIANGI
    Options
    GOOD AFTERNOON Y'ALL HOPE UR DAY HAS BEEN WONDERFUL... ANOTHER 4 MILE SUPER CHALLENGE DOWN THAT BRINGS ME 2 54 LESLIE MILES WALKED AND LEAVES ANOTHER 18 2 GO... ALSO 1.5 MILES WALKED AT WORK =D
  • startergal53
    startergal53 Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    2 miles making it 60 miles!! Yeah! Happy dance time.

We can all say "watch my dust!"

:happy:
  • AnnofB
    AnnofB Posts: 3,588 Member
    Options
    Goal 65 Miles
    May 3 -- 2 Miles
    May 4 -- 2 miles of 5 Day Slim Down.
    May5 -- 2 Miles Belly Blasting Walk
    May 6 -- 4 Mile Super Challenge
    May 7- rest day
    May 8-- Mile 2 and 3 of 5 Day Slim Down. Also did some 30 Minutes to Fitness Strength with 8 and 10 lb weights. I almost have biceps now, haha.
    May 12- 3 Mile Power Walk
    May 16--2 miles Debbie Rocker Am Walking
    May 17--2 Miles, slow-shopping kind of walking
    May 18--1 mile slow shopping
    May 19-- 5 5 Day Slim Down. I did the 12 minute mile first cause I was afraid I wouldn't have the energy when I did finally get to it!
    May 20--4 4 Mile Super Challenge.
    May 21--4 4 miles of the 5 day slim down.

33 Miles as of May 20th.
  • texasgardnr
    texasgardnr Posts: 2,660 Member
    Options
    Hello,

I am starting the May 2014 Walk challenge tomorrow. My goal is to walk 35 miles by the end of the month. My start date is 5/21/2014. Good luck to everyone! :smile:

lateatra, welcome to the May challenge :flowerforyou: . So glad that you are joining in!!!
  • texasgardnr
    Options
    9 km (5.5 miles) today.

Happened to see what I weighted one year ago, It was 4 kg (9 lb) less than today. So by being negligent I put on 9 pounds during a year. I put on little each month. But to loose those 9 pound I do not want to wait one year, I'm inpatient. Well I must learn be patient and the weight will get off slowly and steady just like it was added. It will happen in a natural organic way.

lidenalex, slow and steady weight loss is the way to do it. And indeed, you will lose the 9 pounds with the same determination that you complete your daily walks with :flowerforyou: .

Here's to a much healthier year when you look back a year from now :drinker: .
  • bandit5125
    bandit5125 Posts: 491 Member
    Options
    apparently my magnesium was extremely low, so took 2 days off from walking and did my sweating to the oldies instead, bought some magnesium pills and took 2 yesterday and 2 today and already my legs have stopped feeling crampy and throbbing. amazing what happens when you get a chemical imbalance. I should have knows cause I have had to have magnesium pushes before at the hospital and they burn.

today I jumped back on and did my 5 mile advance walk with Leslie. felt wonderful!

mowing the lawn today 4.5 miles total

82 miles with Leslie to date

48 miles outside to date

130 miles total to date

goal 100 ...yeah met my goal!
  • Reddirtblacktopqueen
    Reddirtblacktopqueen Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    5/21 I got in 4.15 miles. Makes for a total of 79.07 miles this month. I am already ahead of myself in miles walked at this time last month. Yay! :happy:

Happy walking everyone! :flowerforyou:
  • lidenalex
    lidenalex Posts: 283
    Options
    11.9 km (7.5 miles) today. Today was sunny and warm. A hot summer day :happy: .
  • AnnofB
    Options
    Goal 65 Miles
    May 3 -- 2 Miles
    May 7- rest day
    May 8-- Mile 2 and 3 of 5 Day Slim Down. Also did some 30 Minutes to Fitness Strength with 8 and 10 lb weights. I almost have biceps now, haha.
    May 19-- 5 5 Day Slim Down. I did the 12 minute mile first cause I was afraid I wouldn't have the energy when I did finally get to it!
    May 22--2 miles Intervals with Debbie Rocker

35 Miles as of May 20th.
  • texasgardnr
    Options
    Tuesday: Yard work
    Wednesday: Rest day and time with family

Thursday:

3 DVD miles: 5 K With a Twist.

0 minutes: Walked outdoors today.

Goal for May: 40 miles, Continuing an emphasis on strength and outdoor minutes will change my usual mileage from previous months.

So far: 24.5 Leslie/ or other walking DVD miles

So far: 380 outdoor walking minutes

:flowerforyou:
  • bandit5125
    bandit5125 Posts: 491 Member
    Options
    5 mile advanced walk with Leslie today.

87 miles with Leslie to date

48 miles outside to date

135 miles total to date

goal 100 ...yeah met my goal!
  • zichab
    zichab Posts: 1,456 Member
    Options
    May Goal: 50 miles
    5/3 Exercise TV-Walking at Home-3miles=47 to go
    5/4 Walk it Off & Tone it Up-5 miles=42 to go
    5/5 WAP-Walk Slim-4 Fast Miles=38 to go
    5/6 WAP-3 Fast Miles=35 to go
    5/7 WAH-3 miles with weights=32 to go
    5/9 WAH-Walk Slim-5 Really Big Miles-5 miles=27 to go
    5/10 Just Walk-4 Mile Power Walk-4 miles=23 to go
    5/11 Endomondo recorded -neighborhood walk=3.14 miles=20 to go
    5/13 WAP-3 Fast Miles=17 to go
    5/14 Just Walk-Ultimate 5 Day Walk Plan-Tuesday-4 miles-13 to go
    5/20 Just Walk-Ultimate 5 Day walk Plan-Monday-3 miles=10 to go
    5/23 Just Walk-5 Mega Miles--5miles-5 to go
  • Reddirtblacktopqueen
    Reddirtblacktopqueen Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    5/22 Walked 1.94 miles. Only 28.99 more to make my goal of 110 miles. :noway:

Happy walking everyone! :flowerforyou:
  • lidenalex
    Options
    As usual I decided to walk 1 km in the morning but ended up walking 8 km (5 miles). To start is hard, to continue is easier. Here is a nice book for you.

Title: One Small Step Can Change Your Life: The Kaizen Way, by Robert Maurer

Review: As you've probably guessed by now, I consider starting and taking the first steps as THE WAY to success, no matter what your goals are. There are a number of good books on the subject and Maurer's book is one of them.

Excerpt: Julie sat in the examining room, her eyes cast downward. She had come to UCLA's medical center for help with high blood pressure and fatigue, but the family-practice resident and I could see that much more was going on. Julie was a divorced mother of two, by her own admission a little depressed and more than a little overwhelmed. Her support system was shaky at best, and she was just barely holding on to her job.

The young doctor and I were concerned about Julie's long-term health. Her weight (she was carrying more than thirty extra pounds) and soaring stress level put her at increased risk for diabetes, hypertension, heart disease, and deeper depression. It was clear that if Julie did not make some changes, she was headed down a spiral of disease and despair.

We knew a cheap, proven way to help Julie, and it wasn't a bottle of pills or years in psychotherapy. If you read the papers or watch the news, you can probably guess what I'm talking about: exercise. Regular physical activity could improve nearly all of Julie's health problems, give her more stamina to sustain her through her grueling days, and boost her spirits.

Once, I might have offered this free and effective treatment with all the zeal of a new convert. Go jogging! Ride a bike! Rent an aerobics video! I might have said. Give up your lunch break, wake up an hour earlier if you have to, but just get up and make that commitment to your health five times a week! But when I looked at the dark circles under Julie's eyes, my heart sank. We'd probably told hundreds of patients to exercise, but very few of them made it a regular habit. They found it too time-consuming, too sweaty, too much effort. I believe that most of them were also afraid of breaking out of their comfortable ruts, although not all of the patients were aware of this fear. And here sat Julie, who worked almost constantly just to keep her kids housed and clean and fed. Her only solace was relaxing for a half-hour or so on the couch most evenings. I could predict what would happen: The doctor would tell her to exercise, Julie would feel both misunderstood ("How am I going to find time to work out? You don't understand me at all!") and guilty. The resident physician would feel frustrated to see her advice ignored one more time—and possibly start to become cynical, as so many hopeful young doctors eventually do. What could I do to break this sad cycle?

Julie struck me as the perfect candidate for change in its smallest, least threatening form. I looked on as Julie waited to hear what the resident had to say. As I predicted, the resident talked to Julie about the importance of taking time for herself and of getting some exercise. Just as she was about to tell Julie to spend at least thirty minutes of most days on aerobically challenging exercise—a recommendation that would have likely been met with disbelief and anger—I found myself jumping in.

"How about if you just march in place in front of the television, each day, for one minute?"

The resident shot me an incredulous look.

But Julie brightened a little. She said, "I could give that a try."

When Julie returned for a follow-up visit, she reported that she'd indeed marched in front of the TV set for one minute each night. Granted, she wasn't going to get much healthier with just sixty seconds of low-intensity exercise. But during this second visit, I noticed that Julie's attitude had changed. Instead of coming back discouraged, as so many failed exercisers do, Julie was more animated, with less resistance in her speech and demeanor.

"What else can I do in one minute a day?" she wanted to know.

I was thrilled. A small success, yes, but much better than the all-around discouragement I'd seen so many times. We began to guide Julie slowly toward a healthier life, building up the exercise habit minute by minute. Within a few months, Julie found that her resistance to a more complete fitness program had dissolved. She was now eager to take on full aerobics workouts—which she performed regularly and enthusiastically!
  • AnnofB
    Options
    Goal 65 Miles
    May 3 -- 2 Miles
    May 7- rest day
    May 22--2 miles Intervals with Debbie Rocker
    May 23 -- 3 miles with Debbie Rocker Walking for Weight Loss

39 Miles as of May 23rd
  • SCOTTJACKIANGI
    Options
    GOOD EVENING Y'ALL I HOPE EVERY 1 HAS A SAFE & WONDERFUL MEMORIAL DAY WEEKEND... 4 MILE SUPER CHALLENGE AND 2 MILES WALKING 4 WORK... I STILL NEED 14 LESLIE MILES BY THE 28 WHEN I FLY OUT 2 C MY OLDEST NEPHEW GRADUATE HIGH SCHOOL.... BEST WISHES 2 ALL OF YA :happy:
  • texasgardnr
    Options
    Friday:

4 DVD miles: 4 Mile Super Challenge.

0 minutes: Walked outdoors today.

Goal for May: 40 miles, Continuing an emphasis on strength and outdoor minutes will change my usual mileage from previous months.

So far: 28.5 Leslie/ or other walking DVD miles

So far: 380 outdoor walking minutes

:flowerforyou:
  • startergal53
    startergal53 Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    Tis Friday! Hope everyone had a great day.

Just want to get this in before the day is out-
    4 miles today for 64 to date!
    Woot-
    happy dance and more walking scheduled tomorrow.
  • Lilymay2
    Lilymay2 Posts: 2,524 Member
    Options
    Okay I lost myself in here somewhere.....

So ..I have walked with Leslie at all. All my walking has been outside

So far this month I have walked 70.5 miles I have 30 more to go to reach my goal. Yeah!!
  • lidenalex
    Options
    Lilymay2 - 70.5 miles
    startergal53 - 64 miles
    texasgardnr - 28.5 miles + outdoor walking
    AnnofB - 39 miles
    Reddirtblackt - 81 miles
    zichab - 45 miles
    bandit5125 - 130 miles
    heavenlyb14 - 55 miles

You're doiing GREAT. Love you all :love: :flowerforyou: