May 2014 Walk Challenge

Options

Replies

• heavenlyb14
    heavenlyb14 Posts: 303 Member
    Options
    climbed another small mountain today with hubby, kids and the dogs. it was great!

6 miles climbing blue job mountain

72 miles with Leslie to date

28.5 miles outside to date

102.5 miles total to date

goal 100 ...yeah met my goal!

:flowerforyou: Fantastic result, well done, very inspirational.
  • heavenlyb14
    Options
    Agatha Christie said: “The secret of getting ahead is getting started.”

When I have a difficult task ahead of me I often repeat what I once heard: "Start and half is done. Start again and you are done". It's amazing how much I've accomplished with this little quote.

Meister Eckhart said: “Be willing to be a beginner every single morning.”

In the Tao Te Ching, chapter 64, Lao Tse said: "a journey of a thousand miles begins with a single step".

In his book "The Now Habit" the author Neil Fiore urged us to focus on starting. Here's a quote from Fiore:
    - Avoid "I have so many things I have to Get Done."

- Remember: “done,” “finish,” “accomplish,” “deliver” are all in the imaginary future. Your body can’t get there so these images create anxiety -— stuck energy trying to get into a nonexistent future place.

- Keep Starting. Don’t worry about finishing.

- Deadlines in the distant future will keep you anxious and don’t tell your mind and body when to start.
    I have often made the mistake of setting unrealistic goals. It always back fired. In his book Mini Habits, Guise tells us that it is better to set "embarrassing expectations" and achieve "roaring results" then to set "roaring expectations" and achieve "embarrassing results".

Following Guise's advice I've set the goal of walking 1 km (0.6 miles) each day, but to my surprise I've accomplished on average 10 km (6.5 miles). Each morning I start afresh following Meister Eckhart advice to: “Be willing to be a beginner every single morning.” My goal for the day is to walk that 1 km. I know I can walk that distance even if the weather is bad, I received bad news, I didn't sleep enough, or any other excuse. So this goal will get me started! If I make more good, but if I only walk that single km, I'm satisfied. I've got started! the finishing will take care of itself.

Now compare this with a person who sets his goal to walk 200 miles for May 2014. Today on 18 of May he has done 62 miles (a terrific result for the rest of us, but not for him) and has 138 miles to go. He feels pressure, anxiety and is dissatisfied. What will the other people say? What happens if the weather is bad today, and he got to bed late and has a headache. To make up for the lost distance he has to walk at least 11 miles each day for the rest of the month. Well under these circumstances the chances are that this person will not do any walking today and that he soon will abandon his goal, feeling like a failure.

Wise advice and something that I know I need to keep working on. Thank you Alex.
  • heavenlyb14
    Options
    Four miles again today. 39 down 61 to go.

Now that I'm less wobbly I'm going to dust off my ipod and get some books on there, Alex has really inspired me. I always used to walk whilst listening to the Fat to Fit podcast which I found motivational.

Happy walking everyone.
  • lidenalex
    lidenalex Posts: 283
    Options
    I always used to walk whilst listening to the Fat to Fit podcast which I found motivational.

heavenlyb14, thanks for the radio show. I didn't know of this. It's terrific! They even have the same philosophy as me
    "Slow and Steady"! I learned a new thing too from the show. I should not base my calories on BMR which I thought was 1800 for me, but higher. Hey that gives me more maneuver space!

Walked today 11.5 km (7.2 miles).
  • bandit5125
    bandit5125 Posts: 491 Member
    Options
    new hiking trail today. 7.5 miles

72 miles with Leslie to date

36 miles outside to date

108 miles total to date

• SCOTTJACKIANGI
    Options
    GOOD AFTERNOON Y'ALL... I'm 42 miles in on the Leslie challenge... I'm 30 miles away from my 72 mile goal... I'm also 24 miles outside.... I HOPE IT'S BEEN A WONDERFUL WEEKEND 4 ALL OF YA.... I SOOO NEED 2 KICK UP MY LESLIE WALKING....
  • christchick7
    christchick7 Posts: 533 Member
    Options
    Goal: 75-100 miles

Today: 30 min up and down BH Halls(2 miles); 45 min Zumba Gold toning with sticks(3 miles) in wheelchair

Total: 45 miles
  • startergal53
    startergal53 Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    Wow everyone is having a great weekend I see.

Just popped in to record 4 miles for today.

51 miles woohoo! I'm doing the happy dance along with all ya!
  • bandit5125
    Options
    5 advance miles with Leslie this morning

77 miles with Leslie to date

36 miles outside to date

115 miles total to date

• lidenalex
    Options
    Goal: 75-100 miles

christchick7 I like you having a flexible goal :happy:
  • AnnofB
    AnnofB Posts: 3,588 Member
    Options
    Goal 65 Miles
    May 3 -- 2 Miles
    May 4 -- 2 miles of 5 Day Slim Down.
    May5 -- 2 Miles Belly Blasting Walk
    May 6 -- 4 Mile Super Challenge
    May 7- rest day
    May 8-- Mile 2 and 3 of 5 Day Slim Down. Also did some 30 Minutes to Fitness Strength with 8 and 10 lb weights. I almost have biceps now, haha.
    May 12- 3 Mile Power Walk
    May 16--2 miles Debbie Rocker Am Walking
    May 17--2 Miles, slow-shopping kind of walking
    May 18--1 mile slow shopping

17 MIles done as of May 16th Have some catching up to to do. Did lot's of walking aroud the house cleaning yesterday but got in the bed and realized I hadn't looked at my Fitbit for the mileage... was just too tired to get up and look at it. Feels like about 10, but I sort of doubt it. :D Last night two of DH"s friends came for dinner and spent the night. And now my BFF is on the way to spend the weekend with us and I'll get in some miles tomorrow for certain.

20 Miles as of May 19th.

Ann
  • AnnofB
    AnnofB Posts: 3,588 Member
    Options
    Agatha Christie said: “The secret of getting ahead is getting started.”

When I have a difficult task ahead of me I often repeat what I once heard: "Start and half is done. Start again and you are done". It's amazing how much I've accomplished with this little quote.

Meister Eckhart said: “Be willing to be a beginner every single morning.”

In the Tao Te Ching, chapter 64, Lao Tse said: "a journey of a thousand miles begins with a single step".

In his book "The Now Habit" the author Neil Fiore urged us to focus on starting. Here's a quote from Fiore:
    - Avoid "I have so many things I have to Get Done."

- Remember: “done,” “finish,” “accomplish,” “deliver” are all in the imaginary future. Your body can’t get there so these images create anxiety -— stuck energy trying to get into a nonexistent future place.

- Keep Starting. Don’t worry about finishing.

- Deadlines in the distant future will keep you anxious and don’t tell your mind and body when to start.
    I have often made the mistake of setting unrealistic goals. It always back fired. In his book Mini Habits, Guise tells us that it is better to set "embarrassing expectations" and achieve "roaring results" then to set "roaring expectations" and achieve "embarrassing results".

Following Guise's advice I've set the goal of walking 1 km (0.6 miles) each day, but to my surprise I've accomplished on average 10 km (6.5 miles). Each morning I start afresh following Meister Eckhart advice to: “Be willing to be a beginner every single morning.” My goal for the day is to walk that 1 km. I know I can walk that distance even if the weather is bad, I received bad news, I didn't sleep enough, or any other excuse. So this goal will get me started! If I make more good, but if I only walk that single km, I'm satisfied. I've got started! the finishing will take care of itself.

Now compare this with a person who sets his goal to walk 200 miles for May 2014. Today on 18 of May he has done 62 miles (a terrific result for the rest of us, but not for him) and has 138 miles to go. He feels pressure, anxiety and is dissatisfied. What will the other people say? What happens if the weather is bad today, and he got to bed late and has a headache. To make up for the lost distance he has to walk at least 11 miles each day for the rest of the month. Well under these circumstances the chances are that this person will not do any walking today and that he soon will abandon his goal, feeling like a failure.

"Embarrassing Expectations"--love it!

Must read The Now Habit... great info Alex. Thanks.
  • Reddirtblacktopqueen
    Reddirtblacktopqueen Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    5/16 5.34 miles
    5/17 0 miles due to daughters Prom
    5/18 3.91 miles

Total for May so far is 69.89 miles. :happy:

Happy walking everyone! :flowerforyou:
  • heavenlyb14
    Options
    Total for today is 6.8 miles, 54.2 to go.

Happy walking everyone.
  • lidenalex
    Options
    Total for today is 6.8 miles

heavenlyb14, 6.8 miles Wohoo High Five :bigsmile:
  • lidenalex
    Options
    Had to drive long distance today so I knew it wouldn't be much walking. But I managed to squeeze in 2.5 miles in the morning.
  • SCOTTJACKIANGI
    Options
    GOOD AFTERNOON Y'ALL... HOPE IT'S BEEN A MAGNIFICENT MONDAY 4 ALL OF YA :smile: 4 MILE SUPER CHALLENGE DONE... brings my total 2 46 miles of LESLIE and another 1 mile work walking completed... VACATION is coming up quickly and I'm AFRAID I WONT reach my goal... I fly out the 28th... I WILL JUST HAVE 2 WORK XTRA HARD 2 put n more walking time per day 2 reach it... HOPE Y'ALL R HAVING FUN with this CHALLENGE and I HOPE Y'ALL R REACHING UR GOALS... BEST WISHES 2 ALL OF YA :smile:
  • wendy0210
    wendy0210 Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    Hello all!

I'm plugging away...So far this month, I've walked 13 of the 15 Leslie miles I'm aiming for. I've continued doing little things to get more walking into my life (i.e. taking stairs, going for a quick walk here and there during the day, etc.) and although I'm not tracking those toward this month, it feels great.

Also, I got another good bike ride in on Friday and plan to go again tonight. I plan to start walking those hilly trails in time too...
  • startergal53
    startergal53 Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    All is good! A beautiful Monday- I see everyone is having a "motivated" Monday as well.

Did 3 for total of 54!

It's been a great day and I am planning to put my legs up and chill this evening.

Coffee time! :happy:
  • bandit5125
    Options
    5 advance miles with Leslie this morning

77 miles with Leslie to date

36 miles outside to date

115 miles total to date

added wrong on this, outside is 43.5 so I am at 120.5