May 2014 Walk Challenge

Options

Replies

• texasgardnr
    texasgardnr Posts: 2,660 Member
    Options
    Strange thing happened this evening. I had walked 6 miles and ate as I usually do and was looking forward to dinner and a nice evening. My wife had baked potatoes in the oven and had a good sauce (called Skagenrora in Sweden). We ate our potatoes in front of the TV (first mistake) watching a program called Escape to Countryside. I ate 2 big potatoes and 8 oz of the sauce without looking how much calories it contained (second mistake). When I entered the calories for the dinner in MFP I saw that the dinner added up to 1200 calories :explode: . Good gracious. I was over my calorie limit. I got mad at myself :devil: . But it was only 8 pm, so I could still lessen the damage. I went out and walked 4 km (2.5 miles). Still not happy, but at least not totally hopeless :grumble: .
    So many of us have been there and done the exact thing one way or another. Either in front of the TV, or going out to eat w/o checking web site first to plan, or other ways.
    First thing... you had a lovely evening with your wife, and she made a delicious diner! That is priceless :heart: !!
    Second thing... lesson(s) learned. We have so many lessons as we go on don't we :noway: .
    Third thing... You went for an extra walk :drinker: . Awesome!!
    Last thing.... Let it go and start over :smile: ... and try not to be so hard on your self. We often are harder on our self than we ever would be on a friend who did the exact same thing.

Proud of you for your extra walk... don't forget to log it :laugh:

:flowerforyou:
  • texasgardnr
    Options
    GOOD afternoon Y'All hope it's been a WONDERFUL Wednesday for all of ya... It's been a hectic week and 2day is the 1st day I've been able 2 do my 4 mile SUPER CHALLENGE Leslie walk... I've been walking a lot at work and running around trying to help MOMMY packing up her HOME. BITTERSWEET this time is... I grew up in this home and still consider it home... she's down sizing it's just her now since DAD passed away a little over 3 years ago...so most of my walking has been non Leslie ='(... still trying 2 meet my 72 (Leslie) miles I've lost track so I guess I'll start from 2day.... NO MATTER WHAT I'll do my BEST 2 meet my goal if I don't I'll go 4 my goal in JUNE... TAKE CARE & BEST OF LUCK 2 ALL of YA doing this CHALLENGE :smile:

SCOTTJACKIANG, Yes, it is a very bittersweet and stressful thing that you are going through. If you can't actually get in LS miles, come post any way about any walking that you did that day... grocery store, helping your mom and working or so on. That will keep you feeling connected with us and we with you. Walking is awesome, and it looks like you are doing a lot. Just differently. Also feel free to walk just one LS mile (15 minutes of the super challenge). Make up your own cool down and warm up if need be. Super Challenge doesn't lend it self easily to dividing miles but do so with minutes! It all counts.

Keep coming back and posting :heart: .
  • texasgardnr
    Options
    Walked 9.6 km (6 miles) today. I did not feel like walking today, because the rain has been drizzling, but I have a daily goal of 0.6 miles. From where I live there is a church and the city park 0.3 miles away. So I said to myself, just go to the church and then back, that you can do, n'est pas. When I reached the church and the park, I saw several people walk in the park. Well I can walk a little bit I said to myself. I continued in this manner and before I knew it I have walked 3 miles. That gave me energy to take two small walks in the evening.

Totally awesome!!!!
  • texasgardnr
    Options
    I'm back.

Still in a little discomfort following last weeks surgery but ready to get out for a proper walk today. I've been going on short, gentle strolls but not logged the miles so I'm just going to take it from there I was.

I'm going to try and complete five miles today and will report back later.

Happy walking everyone.

heavenlyb14, What an encouraging post you wrote. Short gentle strolls post-op was such a good plan to help you recover your strength!! Only you know if your body is ready for the whole five miles. Please take care of yourself and know that any number of miles is a WIN!!

I hope that you will be feeling up to par quickly :flowerforyou:
  • texasgardnr
    Options
    Tuesday:

0 miles: No DVD today.

70 minutes: walking briskly outdoors with my neighbor. It rained on us so we headed in earlier :noway: . We have been in drought for several years, so this was a surprise blessing. We were hoping for rain later in the day, but it ended up being a fast moving system and came much earlier than expected, and ended soon after we got home :laugh: . We were cold as it was only in the 60s and windy, lol. But every drop counts around here!!

Goal for May: 40 miles, Continuing an emphasis on strength and outdoor minutes will change my usual mileage from previous months.

So far: 11.5 Leslie/ or other walking DVD miles

So far: 260 walking outdoor minutes
  • texasgardnr
    Options
    Wednesday:

0 miles: No DVD today.

60 minutes: Walked in the afternoon by myself. Windy and chilly... but so lovely out after the rain yesterday!!

Goal for May: 40 miles, Continuing an emphasis on strength and outdoor minutes will change my usual mileage from previous months.

So far: 11.5 Leslie/ or other walking DVD miles

So far: 320 outdoor walking minutes

I so enjoy reading all the posts. Every one is walking strong :flowerforyou:
  • startergal53
    startergal53 Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    :happy: Thank you all for writing in today. Seriously. My husband was off work today and I almost didn't do my walking because of it. (imagine that lol)
    Thankfully reading all of your posts pushed me forth.
    I could go through and "quote" each of you but suffice it to say your stories got me out and doing my miles today.

Rain- no rain- potatoes- surgery- life changes and emotions that go with it all -well we are getting stronger each step of the journey.
    I love it!
    I'm in at 40 woot!

Whatever your goals take the step cause one will follow the other.
  • Lilymay2
    Lilymay2 Posts: 2,524 Member
    Options
    :happy: Thank you all for writing in today. Seriously. My husband was off work today and I almost didn't do my walking because of it. (imagine that lol)
    Thankfully reading all of your posts pushed me forth.
    I could go through and "quote" each of you but suffice it to say your stories got me out and doing my miles today.

Rain- no rain- potatoes- surgery- life changes and emotions that go with it all -well we are getting stronger each step of the journey.
    I love it!
    I'm in at 40 woot!

Whatever your goals take the step cause one will follow the other.

I agree. As long as you move and move on as best as you can.
  • Lilymay2
    Lilymay2 Posts: 2,524 Member
    Options
    May 1 - 7th = 27.6 miles

May 8 - 6.9 miles
    May 9 - 5 miles
    May 10 - 3 miles
    May 11 - 4.5 miles
    May 12 - 3.85 miles - 1/2 of them going to the printer to get paper :laugh: :bigsmile:
    May 13 - 2 miles
    May 14 - 3 miles

Total so far 55.85 miles. Only 45 more to go....!!

I am off to help my Great Aunt celebrate her 100th birthday - so may have a little trouble getting my walking in.
  • heavenlyb14
    heavenlyb14 Posts: 303 Member
    Options
    Strange thing happened this evening. I had walked 6 miles and ate as I usually do and was looking forward to dinner and a nice evening. My wife had baked potatoes in the oven and had a good sauce (called Skagenrora in Sweden). We ate our potatoes in front of the TV (first mistake) watching a program called Escape to Countryside. I ate 2 big potatoes and 8 oz of the sauce without looking how much calories it contained (second mistake). When I entered the calories for the dinner in MFP I saw that the dinner added up to 1200 calories :explode: . Good gracious. I was over my calorie limit. I got mad at myself :devil: . But it was only 8 pm, so I could still lessen the damage. I went out and walked 4 km (2.5 miles). Still not happy, but at least not totally hopeless :grumble: .

What impresses me is that you have identified all of the places where you could improve. Relax a little, one meal is not going to ruin your progress.
  • heavenlyb14
    Options
    So many of us have been there and done the exact thing one way or another. Either in front of the TV, or going out to eat w/o checking web site first to plan, or other ways.
    First thing... you had a lovely evening with your wife, and she made a delicious diner! That is priceless :heart: !!
    Second thing... lesson(s) learned. We have so many lessons as we go on don't we :noway: .
    Third thing... You went for an extra walk :drinker: . Awesome!!
    Last thing.... Let it go and start over :smile: ... and try not to be so hard on your self. We often are harder on our self than we ever would be on a friend who did the exact same thing.

Proud of you for your extra walk... don't forget to log it :laugh:

:flowerforyou:

I couldn't agree more.
  • heavenlyb14
    Options
    Well I didn't manage five but I did do three so 28 miles down and 72 to go. Thank you for your kind words.

I find this group so inspiring, motivating and encouraging and am so pleased that I joined. Have a wonderful day everyone and happy walking.
  • bandit5125
    bandit5125 Posts: 491 Member
    Options
    5 miles advanced walk with Leslie today

4.5 miles mowing the lawn (yesterday)

67 miles with Leslie to date

18 miles outside to date

87 miles total to date

goal 100
  • Reddirtblacktopqueen
    Reddirtblacktopqueen Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    5/14 I walked 5.68 miles outside. Making my total for the month.....56.44. :happy:

Happy walking everyone! :flowerforyou:
  • lidenalex
    lidenalex Posts: 283
    Options
    As usual I went for 1 km walk and when I reached the park I just continued on. Sun was shining and the lilac had such a strong and pleasant scent. I didn't bring my iPhone with me so I just kept on walking and got into a comfortable rhythm. A song kept on humming in my brain.

"I took a little trip down the mighty Missisip
    I took a little bacon and I took a little beans
    and I met the bloody British in the town of New Orleans

We fired our guns and the British kept a comin'
    There wasn't nigh as many as there was a while ago
    We fired once more and they began a running
    Down the Mississippi to the Gulf of Mexico"

In my mind the English represented the miles that were in front of me, and the covered miles represented "There wasn't nigh as many as there was a while ago". Well to keep it short I walked 8 km (5 miles). In the evening I went for a second walk and this time I walked 4 km (2.5 miles).
  • SCOTTJACKIANGI
    Options
    GOOD afternoon Y'ALL... SO XCITED just got 3 more LESLIE SANSONE dvds and CAN'T wait to try them out...Just WALK 2 the Hits Radio Remixes, Total Body Slimming System BURN BODY FAT & Sculpt Ur Arms, JUST WALK BELLY BLASTING WALK... I NEED ALL of them but I think because it was a STRESSFUL day at work I'm go n for the Walk 2 the Hits....it's 3 mile HIGH INTENSITY... still waiting on 2 more dvds 2 come in.... ANY 1 else have any of these... if so HOW do U LIKE them....
  • texasgardnr
    Options
    Thursday:

3 miles: 5K With a Twist.

0 minutes: Walked outdoors today.

So far: 14.5 Leslie/ or other walking DVD miles

Walk strong :flowerforyou:
  • texasgardnr
    Options
    As usual I went for 1 km walk and when I reached the park I just continued on. Sun was shining and the lilac had such a strong and pleasant scent. I didn't bring my iPhone with me so I just kept on walking and got into a comfortable rhythm. A song kept on humming in my brain.

"I took a little trip down the mighty Missisip
    I took a little bacon and I took a little beans
    and I met the bloody British in the town of New Orleans

We fired our guns and the British kept a comin'
    There wasn't nigh as many as there was a while ago
    We fired once more and they began a running
    Down the Mississippi to the Gulf of Mexico"

In my mind the English represented the miles that were in front of me, and the covered miles represented "There wasn't nigh as many as there was a while ago". Well to keep it short I walked 8 km (5 miles). In the evening I went for a second walk and this time I walked 4 km (2.5 miles).

That was one of my favorite songs when I was very young child. I would sing it to my youngest brother when he cried LOL. Didn't understand the history back then but loved the tune, and apparently so did he :happy:
  • bandit5125
    bandit5125 Posts: 491 Member
    Options
    5 miles advanced walk with Leslie today

4.5 miles mowing the lawn (yesterday)

67 miles with Leslie to date

4.5 miles in the park today

22.5 miles outside to date

91.5 miles total to date

goal 100
  • startergal53
    startergal53 Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    Thursday:

3 miles: 5K With a Twist.

0 minutes: Walked outdoors today.

So far: 14.5 Leslie/ or other walking DVD miles

Walk strong :flowerforyou:

I love the 5k with a twist- great fun isn't it? I used it to practice for the 5k a few weeks ago and found it to be motivating.

Did 2 miles today-
    42 for May woot!!

Glad to see everyone is recording and enjoying oh and ScottJackiang I love the belly fat one, I still have yet to try the hits radio remix so many choices eh?