May 2014 Walk Challenge

Options

Replies

• Lilymay2
    Lilymay2 Posts: 2,524 Member
    Options
    Walked 9.6 km today (6 miles), while I listened to "The Slight Edge". Today is May8 and I have totally walked 79 km (49 miles).

Title: The slight edge, by Jeff Olson.

Excerpt: The things that take you out of failure and up toward survival and success are simple. So simple, in fact, that it’s easy to overlook them. Extremely easy to overlook them. It’s easy to overlook them because when you look at them, they seem insignificant. They’re not big, sweeping things that take huge effort. They’re not heroic or dramatic. Mostly they’re just little things you do every day and that nobody else even notices. They are things that are so simple to do— yet successful people actually do them, while unsuccessful people only look at them and don’t take action.

Review: The things that make you succeed are easy to do, (Like taking i 10 min stroll). But why don't all people do these things. Because the things that make you fail are also easy to do, (Like watching a soap opera for 50 min). If we do the small things that make us succeed, the accumulative effect will make us successful. That is what slight edge is all about. Jeff's wonderful book is one of my favorites.

Do you purchase talking books and have them on an ipod or smartphone?
    I would really like to listen to something other than my ...sometimes not so nice thoughts.
  • lidenalex
    lidenalex Posts: 283
    Options
    Lilymay2, I listen on them on my iPhone (I think you can use other smartphones as well) while I walk. Yes, I buy them from www.audible.com. Regarding the book "The Slight Edge" audible.com did sell it while ago, but they do not stock it any longer. So if you want to access that book in particular, I'm afraid you have to buy it as a Kindle book. The other books I have mentioned previously, I think are available at Audible.com.
  • texasgardnr
    texasgardnr Posts: 2,660 Member
    Options
    Thursday:

0 miles: No DVD today.

20 minutes: walking moderately outdoors, hot and humid today.

Goal for May: 40 miles, Continuing an emphasis on strength will change my usual mileage from previous months.

So far: 11.5 Leslie/ or other walking DVD miles

So far: 110 outdoor minutes walking

We are on page 5 already!! Way to go Walkers :drinker: !!

:flowerforyou:
  • texasgardnr
    Options
    HOWDY Y'ALL HOPE it's been a WONDERFUL morning 4 all of ya.... 4 MILE SUPER CHALLENGE done the past 2 days... ANY 1 know where and if LESLIE SANSONE has any other DVDs I can pick up I'm getting use to doing the 4mile SUPER CHALLENGE and I'm looking to BUMP it UP... THANX n ADVANCE 4 ANY & ALL HELP :happy:

Hi SCOTTJACKIANG, I love that 4 mile Super challenge.
    I would suggest looking at Walmart or Target or Best buy or fitness stores, either in the store or on line. Also Amazon dot com has many of LS DVDs with reviews. Your local library might have some. that is where I got many of mine in the beginning till I found that I loved having a variety of them and would actually use them. Also I have found some at resale DVD/ CD stores.

Some people find some on YouTube or on Lelsie's web site: walkathome dot com. I have a desk-top in an area that I can't exercise in, so I don't use that option.

I like a variety on hand b/c sometimes I want to use the firm band and sometimes not. Sometimes a lot of miles and sometimes less, or in combination with another exercise.

I hope that you find some that you enjoy!!

:flowerforyou:
  • texasgardnr
    Options
    Lilymay2, I listen on them on my iPhone (I think you can use other smartphones as well) while I walk. Yes, I buy them from www.audible.com. Regarding the book "The Slight Edge" audible.com did sell it while ago, but they do not stock it any longer. So if you want to access that book in particular, I'm afraid you have to buy it as a Kindle book. The other books I have mentioned previously, I think are available at Audible.com.

Also, if your local library is offering e-books or audio books that is another option. I download audio library books on my iPod all the time and listen whenever I am able to :smile: . Also e-books on my older e-reader. Still works beautifully after all these years!

If you don't have an actual Kindle you can download the FREE Kindle app from Amazon for the PC or MAC or many devices and tablets to read Kindle books on.
    I have it on my PC and works great!!

My local library now supports many more e-readers as well as Kindle now.

Anyway, those are some more options to look into :flowerforyou:
  • ChaiyaChaiya21
    ChaiyaChaiya21 Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    OKAY I finally got my butt out for a walk outdoors.

After school I took my daughter to the library, then the park, then we walked to get supper at our favorite Italian spot. ( Should food be part of our exercise I am not sure but it was today) then I retraced all our steps so I walked 4 miles. It's funny when you do a DVD it takes 45 minutes but with a kid and looking at nature etc. We somehow ate up 3 hours ++. Oh well making memories it's a good thing.
  • bandit5125
    bandit5125 Posts: 491 Member
    Options
    3.5 miles in the park tonight

43 miles to date with Leslie

7 Mile in the park

50 miles total to day

goal 100
  • AnnofB
    AnnofB Posts: 3,588 Member
    Options
    Goal 65 Miles
    May 3 -- 2 Miles
    May 4 -- 2 miles of 5 Day Slim Down.
    May5 -- 2 Miles Belly Blasting Walk
    May 6 -- 4 Mile Super Challenge
    May 7- rest day
    May 8-- Mile 2 and 3 of 5 Day Slim Down. Also did some 30 Minutes to Fitness Strength with 8 and 10 lb weights. I almost have biceps now, haha.

12 MIles done as of 5-8-14
  • startergal53
    startergal53 Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    Hey everybody!

Kudos to all the walkers- here is to reaching our goals!

Goal 100 miles

Thus far 24.5
    Woot!
  • rainbow198
    rainbow198 Posts: 2,245 Member
    Options
    May 6: 4 miles
    May 7: 5 miles
    May 8: 5 miles

Total Miles: 40
  • Lilymay2
    Options
    May 1 - 7th = 27.6 miles

Beautiful today - walked outside and did yard work on my triple E yard

May 8 - 6.9 miles
  • bandit5125
    Options
    5 advanced miles with Leslie

48 miles with Leslie to date

7 miles in the park with the dogs

55 miles to date

goal 100 miles
  • bandit5125
    Options
    on my pinterest I have the 5 mile advance walk saved. if you have pinterest check it out, my name is bandit5125 there as well I also have a few of her other walks there
  • startergal53
    startergal53 Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    My head was pounding again this morning- we are day 7 no 8 on that but I digress.
    Decided after breakfast to hit the trail and I feel the better for it.
    Got 4 miles in this morning and I must admit if not for the challenge here I would have lollygagged and not done it at all.
    (I am a procrastinator at heart-pretty sure that's how I got to where I am):happy:
    Each of you have been an inspiration- thanks for posting folks!

28.5 and on my way!
  • zichab
    zichab Posts: 1,454 Member
    Options
    May Goal: 50 miles
    5/3 Exercise TV-Walking at Home-3miles=47 to go
    5/4 Walk it Off & Tone it Up-5 miles=42 to go
    5/5 WAP-Walk Slim-4 Fast Miles=38 to go
    5/6 WAP-3 Fast Miles=35 to go
    5/7 WAH-3 miles with weights=32 to go
    5/9 WAH-Walk Slim-5 Really Big Miles-5 miles=27 to go
  • Reddirtblacktopqueen
    Reddirtblacktopqueen Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    Hello everyone! Hope you all are having a blessed Friday.

Yesterday I walked 3.66 miles outside. That makes my total for the month to be 37.58 miles. Only 72.42 more miles until I reach my goal set this month. :happy:

Happy walking everyone! :flowerforyou:
  • lidenalex
    lidenalex Posts: 283
    Options
    Today walked 8.1 km (5 miles) while listening to Mini Habits. Only 13 km (8 miles) left to reach my goal of 100 km (62 miles).
  • SCOTTJACKIANGI
    Options
    Thank You Texasgardner for your help with the LS dvds... I took your suggestions and found tons of them on Amazon and ordered 4 of them =D.... HAVE A WONDERFUL WEEKEND =D
  • christchick7
    christchick7 Posts: 533 Member
    Options
    Goal: 75-100 miles

Yesterday: Zumba Gold toning with toning sticks 45 min(3 miles)

Today: 35 min weight training; 50 reps each at 3 lb modified flies, triceps kickbacks, biceps curls
    overhead press, chest press; LS Party Songs 3 miles

Total: 31 miles
  • Lilymay2
    Options
    May 1 - 7th = 27.6 miles

May 8 - 6.9 miles
    May 9 - 5 miles

I think we finally have Spring :flowerforyou: Yeah :happy: