May 2014 Walk Challenge

Options

Replies

• Reddirtblacktopqueen
    Reddirtblacktopqueen Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    5/15 Walked 4.20 miles outside. Only 49.36 more miles to go to meet my May goal. :love:

Happy walking everyone! :flowerforyou:
  • bandit5125
    bandit5125 Posts: 491 Member
    Options
    5 miles advanced walk with Leslie today

72 miles with Leslie to date

22.5 miles outside to date

96.5 miles total to date

goal 100
  • startergal53
    startergal53 Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    Fab Friday Folks!

Did a Leslie mix this morning: 1 m Burn Body Fat/ 3 m BBF and finished with the Ultimate 5 day dvd for the final mile.
    Got cardio and weights in.

I am so excited to be here. Great motivation folks.

Total 47 miles
    (and the day is young)

:bigsmile:
  • lidenalex
    lidenalex Posts: 283
    Options
    9.5 km (6 miles) today.
  • ChaiyaChaiya21
    ChaiyaChaiya21 Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    Leslie:16
    Outside:10

Total:26
    Remaining:24

My knee is flaring up so I have gotten sidetracked a little. Any tips?? Maybe cut out the "boosted" part of the walk???
  • AnnofB
    AnnofB Posts: 3,588 Member
    Options
    Goal 65 Miles
    May 3 -- 2 Miles
    May 4 -- 2 miles of 5 Day Slim Down.
    May5 -- 2 Miles Belly Blasting Walk
    May 6 -- 4 Mile Super Challenge
    May 7- rest day
    May 8-- Mile 2 and 3 of 5 Day Slim Down. Also did some 30 Minutes to Fitness Strength with 8 and 10 lb weights. I almost have biceps now, haha.
    May 12- 3 Mile Power Walk
    May 16--2 miles Debbie Rocker Am Walking

17 MIles done as of May 16th Have some catching up to to do. Did lot's of walking aroud the house cleaning yesterday but got in the bed and realized I hadn't looked at my Fitbit for the mileage... was just too tired to get up and look at it. Feels like about 10, but I sort of doubt it. :D Last night two of DH"s friends came for dinner and spent the night. And now my BFF is on the way to spend the weekend with us and I'll get in some miles tomorrow for certain.

Great work everyone!!!

Ann
  • texasgardnr
    texasgardnr Posts: 2,660 Member
    Options
    Friday:

4 miles: Walk Slim 4 Fast Miles

0 minutes: Walked outdoors today.

Goal for May: 40 miles, Continuing an emphasis on strength and outdoor minutes will change my usual mileage from previous months.

So far: 18.5 Leslie/ or other walking DVD miles

So far: 320 outdoor walking minutes

Enjoy your weekend!
  • heavenlyb14
    heavenlyb14 Posts: 303 Member
    Options
    Another three the day before yesterday. 31 down, 69 to go.
  • startergal53
    Options

Fantastic heavenlyb14!

After an appt this morning I am heading to the mall-these are the days I wish I had a pedometer lol.

Looking into getting one of those fitbits or some such- any advice from anyone here who may be using a particular brand?

Well I am off this morning hoping everyone has a great "walking and moving" kind of Saturday:happy:
  • lidenalex
    Options
    Walked 10.6 km (6.5 miles) today. In the morning I didn't feel like walking at all. Started with 1 km walk, but returned as soon as that km was done. In the afternoon, the weather got nice and I had two great walks. But without that 1 km in the morning I would not have walked at all in the afternoon.

This is day 17 of May. To date I have walked 111 miles, which is 6.5 miles per day on average.

What will I gain by establishing healthy exercise and food habits? Looking 2-3 years in the future. I will have lost 15 kg (33 lbs) and have a BMI of 25. I will not think about food at all. I will walk 5 km (3 miles) and eat about 2200 cal per day. I will weigh myself once a week just to make sure that I'm not loosing it. I will have enough energy to pursue my other goals in life, and the food will not longer be a problem. At least that is what I'm hoping for:smile: .
  • heavenlyb14
    Options

Fantastic heavenlyb14!

After an appt this morning I am heading to the mall-these are the days I wish I had a pedometer lol.

Looking into getting one of those fitbits or some such- any advice from anyone here who may be using a particular brand?

Well I am off this morning hoping everyone has a great "walking and moving" kind of Saturday:happy:

I have had a Fitbit Flex for a week now and I love it! It was easy to set up and it is motivating me to move more. It monitors all of your activity so is quite accurate. Let me know what you decide to get.

And thank you.
  • heavenlyb14
    Options
    Walked 10.6 km (6.5 miles) today. In the morning I didn't feel like walking at all. Started with 1 km walk, but returned as soon as that km was done. In the afternoon, the weather got nice and I had two great walks. But without that 1 km in the morning I would not have walked at all in the afternoon.

This is day 17 of May. To date I have walked 111 miles, which is 6.5 miles per day on average.

What will I gain by establishing healthy exercise and food habits? Looking 2-3 years in the future. I will have lost 15 kg (33 lbs) and have a BMI of 25. I will not think about food at all. I will walk 5 km (3 miles) and eat about 2200 cal per day. I will weigh myself once a week just to make sure that I'm not loosing it. I will have enough energy to pursue my other goals in life, and the food will not longer be a problem. At least that is what I'm hoping for:smile: .

You inspire me to get outside every day Alex and are strengthening your new habits every day.
  • heavenlyb14
    Options
    Four miles today so 35 in total with 65 to go, I'd better try for more next week!

Happy walking everyone.
  • christchick7
    christchick7 Posts: 533 Member
    Options
    Goal: 75-100 miles

5/10/2014 0 miles(scheduled rest day)
    5/11/2014 3 miles Party Songs
    5/12-15/2014 0 miles (extreme personal stress including a room change)

5/16/2014 3 miles Party Songs

Today: 3 miles Party Songs(time to switch DVDs); 3 pounds, 50 reps each
    triceps kickbacks, modified flies, biceps curls, chest press, overhead press

Total: 40 miles
  • ChaiyaChaiya21
    ChaiyaChaiya21 Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    Leslie:20
    Outside:10

Total:30
    Remaining:20

So I gave my knee a break and I feel much better. I haven't done 10 consecutive days due to this but I have done as many as I can without hurting myself further. Amazing how fast it adds up.
  • bandit5125
    bandit5125 Posts: 491 Member
    Options
    climbed another small mountain today with hubby, kids and the dogs. it was great!

6 miles climbing blue job mountain

72 miles with Leslie to date

28.5 miles outside to date

102.5 miles total to date

goal 100 ...yeah met my goal!
  • texasgardnr
    texasgardnr Posts: 2,660 Member
    Options
    Saturday:

0 DVD miles: .

60 minutes: Walked outdoors today.

Goal for May: 40 miles, Continuing an emphasis on strength and outdoor minutes will change my usual mileage from previous months.

So far: 18.5 Leslie/ or other walking DVD miles

So far: 380 outdoor walking minutes

Wishing you all a blessed Sunday tomorrow :flowerforyou:
  • lidenalex
    Options
    102.5 miles total to date

goal 100 ...yeah met my goal!

bandit5125 High Five. It time to celebrate :drinker:
  • lidenalex
    Options
    Agatha Christie said: “The secret of getting ahead is getting started.”

When I have a difficult task ahead of me I often repeat what I once heard: "Start and half is done. Start again and you are done". It's amazing how much I've accomplished with this little quote.

Meister Eckhart said: “Be willing to be a beginner every single morning.”

In the Tao Te Ching, chapter 64, Lao Tse said: "a journey of a thousand miles begins with a single step".

In his book "The Now Habit" the author Neil Fiore urged us to focus on starting. Here's a quote from Fiore:
    - Avoid "I have so many things I have to Get Done."

- Remember: “done,” “finish,” “accomplish,” “deliver” are all in the imaginary future. Your body can’t get there so these images create anxiety -— stuck energy trying to get into a nonexistent future place.

- Keep Starting. Don’t worry about finishing.

- Deadlines in the distant future will keep you anxious and don’t tell your mind and body when to start.
    I have often made the mistake of setting unrealistic goals. It always back fired. In his book Mini Habits, Guise tells us that it is better to set "embarrassing expectations" and achieve "roaring results" then to set "roaring expectations" and achieve "embarrassing results".

Following Guise's advice I've set the goal of walking 1 km (0.6 miles) each day, but to my surprise I've accomplished on average 10 km (6.5 miles). Each morning I start afresh following Meister Eckhart advice to: “Be willing to be a beginner every single morning.” My goal for the day is to walk that 1 km. I know I can walk that distance even if the weather is bad, I received bad news, I didn't sleep enough, or any other excuse. So this goal will get me started! If I make more good, but if I only walk that single km, I'm satisfied. I've got started! the finishing will take care of itself.

Now compare this with a person who sets his goal to walk 200 miles for May 2014. Today on 18 of May he has done 62 miles (a terrific result for the rest of us, but not for him) and has 138 miles to go. He feels pressure, anxiety and is dissatisfied. What will the other people say? What happens if the weather is bad today, and he got to bed late and has a headache. To make up for the lost distance he has to walk at least 11 miles each day for the rest of the month. Well under these circumstances the chances are that this person will not do any walking today and that he soon will abandon his goal, feeling like a failure.
  • startergal53
    Options
    :smile: Thank you Lidenalex! Wonderfully motivating post- thank you for sharing what you have culled from others and your own experience.

All of us who have gone through the ups and downs of life know full well the truth when we see it.

Sometimes I look at what needs to be done and can shut down a bit until I remember to do "one thing" and it makes me feel better freeing me up to do the next.
    Here's to setting "embarrassing expectations!"

It looks like sun shine today- happy walking everyone.