Options

Replies

• skittlesnhoney
    skittlesnhoney Posts: 651 Member
    Options
    Got Day B done today.

Warm-up sets for squats were with the bar
    5x5's were with 50 lbs.

Overhead Press (I haven't started using the bar yet, walked away after squats and someone else came up to the squat rack)
    Warm-up 40 lbs.
    5x5's at 50 lbs.

Deadlift (my deadlifts sucked I'm sure, have to watch and re-watch proper form videos again)
    Warm-up 50 lbs.
    5x5's at 50 lbs.
  • sbarella
    sbarella Posts: 713 Member
    Options
    I'd like to introduce you my own super-scientific extra-pr0 exercise rating system:
    Hard = OMG I'm going to die. I'm so keeping this weight next time.
    OK = Phew. Not easy, but I'll try to add some weight next time. May the Force be with me.
    Easy = LOL, enough with Barbie weights, give me some real iron bro
    (stupid, but it's useful because I can add quick note after finishing the exercise so I can figure out what to do next time, lol)

Squat 67.5kg 5x5 rating: hard/OK (doable but I'll be keeping it)
    Overhead press 32.5kg 5+5+5+4+4 rating: hard, of course. Slow progress is progress
    Deadlift 70kg 1x5: HARD. I'll be doing 67.5kg next time. Since I'm a pro at lower back injuries I'd rather stay on the safe side.

Upright barbell row 25kg 3x8 OK
    Dumbbell side lateral raise: I couldn't find 5kg dumbbells (they're always taken) so I used 6kg and I could barely do 3x6. Hard, but I'll be sticking to 6kg until I can do 3x8.
    Single-arm dumbbell bent-over row 10kg 2x8 then 12 kg 1x8 OK
    Plank 3x45 OK
  • KaterinaTerese
    KaterinaTerese Posts: 345 Member
    Options
    I'd like to introduce you my own super-scientific extra-pr0 exercise rating system:
    Hard = OMG I'm going to die. I'm so keeping this weight next time.
    OK = Phew. Not easy, but I'll try to add some weight next time. May the Force be with me.
    Easy = LOL, enough with Barbie weights, give me some real iron bro
    These are fantastic! The Force will be with you. Always.
  • krokador
    krokador Posts: 1,794 Member
    Options
    Woot! Today was power clean and push press day! Don't remember my exact progression this time around, but I managed

Power Clean 1RM: 105lbs (2 misses at 110 but the second one I just tried to rush in my time cap so meh. Maybe I shoulda gone for 107.5)

Push Press 3RM: 90lbs. I managed 2 reps at 92.5 but they were crappy as hell and I almost jumped, so they were basically push jerks. Impressive how my 3RM push press is higher than my 1RM Strict Press O.o

then did 15 push-ups trying to go unbroken - all that pushing makes my push-ups lame. Along with 3x30s of hollow hangs. I haz blisters naw.

Finished up with 4x600m of rowing, trying to go as fast as possible. Kept within 5 seconds of 2:30 for all 4 rounds. My butt is sore though. Wish I coulda done a run instead xD

I don't feel too trashed today though. Obviously I worked hard, but I feel like I coulda kept going, lol. Looking forward to my next workout in which I think I'm testing deadlifts! Woop!
  • katro111
    katro111 Posts: 632 Member
    Options
    Just weighing in some more on the bra thing... Even for weight lifting, I need something much more supportive than a plain ol' hanes sports bra (redheadmommy and I are just about the same size) and let me tell ya, GG/H cup boobies are HEAVY. They don't need super max bounce control for lifting, but they need to be held down other wise they fall out (out of bra, out of shirt, etc) any time you bend... or move... or breathe. I've taken to doubling and sometimes tripling up on sports bras that don't fit, but if you put enough layers of compression on, it'll help tame the girls to an extent. Then comes the price tag for the properly fitting sports bras. Ouch. That part hurts more than DOMS after deadlifts! There's a UK company - Lessbounce.com - that even after the price conversion has decent prices. Only issue is that you have to wait forever for your order to arrive and if it doesn't fit, it takes even more time to send it back and get a replacement.
  • dapunks
    dapunks Posts: 245 Member
    Options
    Okay back again after not having a very productive April.:smile:

Last nights workout

Deadlifts
    1x5x55lbs
    1x5x65lbs
    3x5x75lbs

Arnold Presses (dumbells)
    1x5x10lbs (or 20lbs if you count both dumbells)
    1x5x12lbs (or 24 lbs for both)
    5x5x15lbs (or 30lbs)

Squats (working on form over weight)
    1x5xbar (35lbs)
    1x8x55lbs
    3x8x75lbs

Just some ab work after.

I am going to rant for a moment.

I am not sure how I should have handled this. At my gym we have two squat racks. Last night one guy was using both. He was using one for deadlifts and the other for squats so he could alternate from one to the other. He did offer to let me work in but still both racks a the same time? I can see it when there is nobody at the gym but at 5:00pm on a week day I just hink you should not be that selfish. I did my deadlifts and by the time I was done he was finished. Again maybe I am wrong but it was a little annoying.:grumble:
  • randomtai
    randomtai Posts: 9,003 Member
    Options

I am not sure how I should have handled this. At my gym we have two squat racks. Last night one guy was using both. He was using one for deadlifts and the other for squats so he could alternate from one to the other. He did offer to let me work in but still both racks a the same time? I can see it when there is nobody at the gym but at 5:00pm on a week day I just hink you should not be that selfish. I did my deadlifts and by the time I was done he was finished. Again maybe I am wrong but it was a little annoying.:grumble:

He was dead wrong... I am lucky to get one squat rack at my gym.
  • katro111
    Options

Ummm, yeah, NO. He gets one rack at a time, not both. Especially at peak hours.
  • Fittreelol
    Fittreelol Posts: 2,535 Member
    Options
    Krok I think 3RM push press is always>1rm strict, but I could be wrong.
  • katro111
    Options
    So on the topic of push press and SL, which is better? I know Mehdi is alllllll about the strict/traditional OHP, but isn't the push press just as good?

Side note: I think it's kind of funny the things Mehdi is very adamant about; he's all over Pendlay rows instead of bent over rows, but Pendlay himself is in favor of push press while Mehdi favors the strict press.
  • Llamapants86
    Llamapants86 Posts: 1,221 Member
    Options
    Re: bras, I wear different bras for weights vs running, that being said I tried doing a weight day in a normal bra and I was just all over the place. So glad I was at home, it was worse than when I would wear nursing tanks that would just randomly let a boob go free.

Last night I told my husband that I was going to wake up early to do my workout. If I tell him, I always do it otherwise the snooze button is my frienemy. So I get up, start getting ready, and my son (7) decided that he would get the baby up. UGGGGG. But I managed to get her back to sleep, and get my workout done, and she's still sleeping so I am enjoying some mommy time.

Workout felt really good too:
    Squat 3x5 150lbs I still don't think I go low enough on the last set, it just seems so easy compared to the first 2 sets, so I assume I just am not going low enough because I am getting tired. I am going to stay here for another day and if it doesn't feel right still I am going to do a deload.
    OHP 3x5 26 lbs this was great. I got a set of adjustable dumbbells that came with 3 lbs plates. So I can start upping the weight really slowly.
    Deadlift 1x5 150 lbs I am back to where I got stuck last time. I put some stick tape on my barbell and it helps soooo much.

Accessories:
    Straight Leg DL 3x8 105 lbs these were hard after the traditional DL's I'm gonna stay here for a little
    BB hipthrusts 3x8 50 lbs. I want to up the weight but I need to find away to deal with the barbell on my hipbones first, I think I might take some velcro and my old yoga mat and make a removable padding thing. *puts on MacGyver hat*

My other current issue is that my house is old, with a very not level house, when I set up for DL's or rows, the barbell likes to try to escape. Any ideas on how to block them, I tried using plates but I am at the point where most of my plates are on the barbell.
  • caseys29
    caseys29 Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    We did a ridiculous amount of deadlifts and some ab work last night. I'd like to do more the SL workout, but we're doing the five lifts at 5x5, just split up on four different days and an extra set of 5x10 at a lower weight (and deadlifts at 5x5 instead of 1x5.) This routine was suggested to my husband and his boss by a trainer and they love it and I kind of have to go with it since I work out with them at his boss's house. I'm very close to either getting my own weights at home or joining the secret, by-invitation-only gym that's the only gym in town with a squat or power rack so I can do my own thing. I'm just glad they're not telling me to use lighter weights and more reps anymore!

Deadlifts
    1x5@145
    1x5@150
    3x5@155
    5x10@115

I'd really like to see what I can do on deadlifts doing only 1x5, because they're by far my best lift.

It's mostly my hands that hurt today. My calluses are burning and I smashed one finger while rolling my barbell out and getting it caught between the bar and a plate on the stupid EZ curl bar that was underneath it.

Bench press and barbell rows tonight!
  • LadyDeadlift
    LadyDeadlift Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    Changing things up a bit to rest my posterior chain (heh). I feel like squatting and/or deadlifting every workout is not awesome for me. For the next couple of weeks I'll do one or the other but only on every other workout.

Last night:
    Warmed up dynamic stretching and a quick round of accessory lifts at very low weight

Bench press
    Warmup 45x10, 65x5, 75x5, 80x5, 85x3
    Work: 90x2x5 then 3 - deloaded to 85 for another 2x5 goal for next workout will be to get in all of set 3 and try for set 4

Accessory work - all 3x10
    Shrug @ 70#
    Row @ 45#
    Lying tricep ext. @40#
    DB Bicep curl @ 17.5#

Looking forward to killing the squats and OHP tomorrow!

QOTD: anyone else get deep soreness in hips from squats and DL? I don't get the DOMS so much, but struggle with this soreness.... ... it gets bad enough that I start guarding my movements / getting hesitant towards the end of my workout. I stretch and roll quite a bit - do I need to do more? Work through it? I'm considering changing to Madcow or something other than SL... but even Madcow has squats every workout...
  • rosetat74
    rosetat74 Posts: 32 Member
    Options

Ummm, yeah, NO. He gets one rack at a time, not both. Especially at peak hours.

Reminds me of a guy last week using one of the only 2 racks in the gym for a stretching program for 20 minutes during peak time. I understand the need to stretch, but it could have been done anywhere in the gym.
  • rlw911
    rlw911 Posts: 475 Member
    Options
    . I want to up the weight but I need to find away to deal with the barbell on my hipbones first, I think I might take some velcro and my old yoga mat and make a removable padding thing. *puts on MacGyver hat*

My other current issue is that my house is old, with a very not level house, when I set up for DL's or rows, the barbell likes to try to escape. Any ideas on how to block them, I tried using plates but I am at the point where most of my plates are on the barbell.

Since you've got your MacGyver hat on, maybe you could use the old yoga mat to put the bar on for DLs/rows. I'm thinking it might keep the bar from rolling?
  • spirit095
    spirit095 Posts: 1,017 Member
    Options
    Worked out to Spice Girls today. It was fun :laugh:

Squat: warm up set, 5x5 @ 85
    OHP: 4x5 @ 45, 1x5 @50
    DL: warm up set, 1x5 @90

I'm so excited to be getting closer to 100lbs on my squats and DL hehe
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    Happy Wednesday Ladies...

RE using both squat racks...asshat....
    RE Sports bra I can't chime in sorry I lift braless..the girls are back to their normal small B status...
    RE OHP vs Push Press...after overthinking OHP form, Rippetoe vs Medhi and asking questions to others I don't like Medhi stictness..I like Rippetoe...never mind his form suggestions allow for bigger lifts.

Went for a walk yesterday ...only a mile and half..but better than nothing....

So workout A for me today

Squats warmups 2@65, 2@85 working weight @ 145 (decided to go up today as leg is feeling good) 5x5 on those....not gonna say they were easy either...getting ATG makes this harder...I think my form was off a bit..lean forward etc. Will stay here on Friday as well.

BP warmups 2@15, 2@35, 2@65 working weight @ 123.5 (no spotter so set something up hope it works if i need it to)
    3x5, 2x3 (wow form failure...form broke down on 4th set, breathing screwy bam...bar is at my neck...setup worked at least)not complaining new PR...

Bit of a rough start to these my setup was off so had to rearrange it...and wow my shoulder blades are so sore again...anyone else get this after benching?

Rows @ 123.5 as well tonight (nice having these two the same)
    3x5 ,1x3,1x4...not bad considering it's another new PR

Now off to get cleaned up for dinner...having dinner with some family and my mom
  • jerilynconn
    jerilynconn Posts: 524 Member
    Options
    Great job everyone!!

I deloaded some thanks to your advice! And good thing because the gym was so hot today. :/

Squats: 3x5 135 lbs
    Bench: 3x5 65 lbs
    Rows: 3x5 65 lbs

Skipped my run too.
  • DianeinCA
    DianeinCA Posts: 307 Member
    Options
    There is no planet on which it is appropriate to use BOTH squat racks. (I camped on one rack today to do my first three sets and felt guilty enough, even though the only downtime was my resting between sets.)

Workout A:

Squats: 2x5x45, 1x5x85, 1x5x115, 5x5x145
    Bench: 2x5x45, 1x5x65, 1x5x85, 1x5x75, 1x5x80 (Today was not my bestest ever bench press day)
    Bent over rows: 2x5x45, 5x5x65
    Chin up: 3x10x-66
    Glute bridges: 3x10
    Leg raise: 3x15
  • tinkystyle
    tinkystyle Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    Had my first fail today--OHP.

Today was workout B:
    Squat: 120x5x5
    OHP: 70x5x2 (Could not get 70 up for even 1 rep of 3rd set), 65x5x3 (really pushed on these)
    DL: 135x5x5

I've read so much about deloading and talked to my hubby who is a powerlifter. I'm not going to follow Medhi's advice on deloading, but am going to try again with 70 for next OHP day. Hubs argued that I should keep trying to eek out at least one additional rep each time, and once I'm "done," drop back to 65 to complete the reps/sets (what I did today). Has anyone tried this? How did it go? I realize that OHP is probably the toughest lift for women to increase weight on, but now I'm really fired up to get 70x5x5...