2014 MFP LeTour Signup/Discussion Thread

Options
TheBigYin
TheBigYin Posts: 5,683 Member
...thread continued from the Original here - http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1274938-2014-mfp-grand-tour-challenge-signup-discussion-thread

MFPGrandTourChallengeLogo2014.jpg

Yes folks its that time of the year again - time to start signing up and pinning on the Dossards.

LeTour starts on the 5th of July in God's Own County - Yorkshire, barely 10 miles as the crow flies from my home. Excited doesn't even begin to cover what I'm feeling at the moment.

Anyway - time for a few details for the newcomers to these challenges...

Background

For the duration of the Three Grand Tours - the Giro, LeTour and LaVuelta, I'll be running a team based challenge which is themed upon the race.

The Teams, as per the pro-peleton, are squads of 9 people - we have places for up to 4 teams, so 36 places overall.

Each team of 9 riders will try and ride between them a distance each day equal to or greater than the distance of that day’s stage in the Grand Tours

The person in the team who rides the largest total km’s gets the Leaders Jersey,

The person achieving the fastest average speed overall gets the Sprinters jersey

and the person who posts the highest total ascent figure in metres gets King of the Mountains jersey.

Distances and dates for the second instalment, the Tour de France

14303234648_1b620e68de_o.jpg

So, the overall distance is 3656km between the 9 riders, or just over 406km each, or 19.34km a day. (12 miles for the metrically challenged). Obviously, some riders will ride more than this, some will ride less, none of you are expected to ride every stage of the race duration (though a couple of loonies did in the Giro!), and there are 2 planned rest days in there anyway, so it's actually eminently do-able overall , whilst still being fairly tough to achieve the distance every day.

To verify the distances/speeds/ascents rides will need to be logged via some form of GPS and posted to Strava. As I’d be looking at average speeds and climbs, I think that it’s only appropriate to restrict this challenge to outdoor mileage only.

So – anyone up for a challenge ??

Hopefully I've given enough time for people to see this, and sign up - who knows - we might even have enough people to fill all four teams :smile:

Replies

• TheBigYin
    TheBigYin Posts: 5,683 Member
    Options
    This challenges signup is a little different... I'm experimenting with opening up all 4 teams straight away, with certain people pre-allocated (subject to confirmation in here) where they have expressed interest in the Giro thread - HOWEVER - this time, I'm handing out the numbers - if you wish to express a preference as to which of the 4 teams you wish to join, I'll TRY and allocate you there - but I'm trying to avoid re-doing all the race numbers - so if you don't express a preference, I'll probably give you the same number as you had in a prior race just to make the photoshop-work a bit easier.

So... Here's the list we've got so far...
    301 - Harksy *
    302 - KitTheRoadie *
    303 - Cloggsy71 *
    304 - Coltsman4ever *
    305 - Spatialized *
    306 - sufferlandrian *
    307 - TDSeest *
    308 - Frannybobs *
    309 - TheBigYin *

311 - Jakes1971 *
    312 - BigG59 *
    313 - kupe *
    314 - composite *
    315 - Hawkeyegal1995 *
    316 - phytogurl *
    317 - rides4sanity *
    318 - mdstamand *
    319 - katozdad *

321 - kerrylikesbikes *
    322 - cyclenut64 *
    323 - cyclistphil *
    324 - CentralCaliCycling *
    325 - CDGolden *
    326 - sinker59 *
    327 - pmr545 *
    328 - MrsCentralCaliCycling *
    329 - Check_Mate *

331 - cowbellsandcoffee *
    332 - henryda04 *
    333 - veloman21 *
    334 - DeliriumCanBeFun *
    335 - JediCounsil *
    336 - verdemujer *
    337 - Snowoutspokin *
    338 - banshee1013 *
    339 - butters1 *

TBC-To Be Confirmed. * denotes confirmation rcvd. from prior thread or signup in this thread.

BigG59/Snowoutspokin/Banshee1013 confirmed via PM
    cowbellsandcoffee Tsfd from #332 to #331, again after PM conversation

I reserve the right to move people around from team to team before the rollout in Leeds, if I think that things are getting a little unbalanced - it's really not good if one team ends up with all the heavy-hitters.
  • Cycle_pathic
    Cycle_pathic Posts: 172 Member
    Options
    TBY - I'm in and 329 is fine for me. Thanks!!

TBY Edit - no worries - always good to get the first confirmation in
  • DeliriumCanBeFun
    DeliriumCanBeFun Posts: 313 Member
    Options
    I'm in and cool with 334.

TBY - Done
  • Frannybobs
    Frannybobs Posts: 741 Member
    Options
    308 confirmed confirmed confirmed!! Can't wait, especially as I'll be starting the challenge whilst watching the first 2 stages live :-)

Thanks TBY!

TBY - Done
  • rides4sanity
    rides4sanity Posts: 1,269 Member
    Options
    Do you want to put me in somewhere or would you like for me to choose, 317?

Nikki

TBY - 317 it is
  • Jakess1971
    Jakess1971 Posts: 1,208 Member
    Options
    311 looks good to me, has a nice ring to it :)

* those first 10 days look an absolute killer!

TBY - Done
  • hawkeyegal1995
    hawkeyegal1995 Posts: 2,009 Member
    Options
    I'm for 315 again so I can recycle last year's dossard.

Thanks!!

TBY - Done
  • cloggsy71
    cloggsy71 Posts: 2,208 Member
    Options
    Oui; 303 s'il vous plaît :wink:

WOW! Only 2 rest days in 21 days :noway: :tongue:

I'll give it my best shot :wink:

TBY - Done
  • veloman21
    veloman21 Posts: 418 Member
    Options
    Sounds great!! I'm in for sure, don't mind which team I'm on.

Looking forward to the challenge!! :)

TBY - #333 Done
  • sinker59
    sinker59 Posts: 130
    Options
    I'm in, and happy to be any number on any team! As I said in another thread, I ride trail more than road, so while I ride 5+ hours every week, it's fewer mile than if I were on the road (8mph vs 15mph).

TBY - #326 Done
  • mdstamand
    mdstamand Posts: 169 Member
    Options
    TBY,

I'm confirming and I love my number and team. Thanks for giving me the chance to contribute.

Mike (mdstamand)

TBY - Done
  • pmr545
    pmr545 Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    I'd like to join... if you use me, put me where needed.

-Pete

TBY - #327 Done
  • cyclistphil
    cyclistphil Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    I'M IN!! any number will be fine for me. Thanks

TBY - #323 Done
  • verdemujer
    verdemujer Posts: 1,397 Member
    Options
    Ok - I'm in and 336 sounds great for me! Now, I need to check and be sure of what date this race starts. :laugh:

TBY - Done - and it starts on the 5th June :wink:
  • hawkeyegal1995
    hawkeyegal1995 Posts: 2,009 Member
    Options
    I'm for 315 again so I can recycle last year's dossard.

Thanks!!

TBY - Done

I am used to the tour wrapping up right as RAGBRAI gets rolling but this year they are overlapping which I just noticed. I'm unfortunately on vacation starting on 7/22 so I won't be getting any miles for the final 5 days. Will totally understand if I need to step out!
  • harksy
    harksy Posts: 239 Member
    Options
    304 & Team 1 sounds good to me
    Ride on and keep 'er lit!

TBY - Done
  • vb4evr
    vb4evr Posts: 615 Member
    Options
    I'd love to join, but not sure if I should.
    I'll be on vacation from July 9-16 (and while I'll have my bike(s) not sure how much I'll get to put on and probably wont have access to internet) and second typically during the week I'll put on 20-30k.. weekends more. Would I be hindering a team?
  • Spatialized
    Spatialized Posts: 623 Member
    Options
    Like I said in the other thread, I'll recycle :happy: 305 looks good for me.

And a HUGE thanks for tackling and running this challenge once again!

TBY - Done
  • KitTheRoadie
    KitTheRoadie Posts: 641 Member
    Options
    Looking at this on my phone browser so not sure if my name is in the list but please do put me down, and I'm happy to have the same number as the Giro if it's available?! If not just stick me somewhere that fits! :wink:

Thanks TBY! :drinker:

TBY - Done - #302 mate, same as last years LeTour
  • Kupe
    Kupe Posts: 758 Member
    Options
    I am in, happy with my number. ????????

TBY - Done
This discussion has been closed.