2014 MFP LeTour Signup/Discussion Thread

Options

Replies

• kerrylikesbikes
    kerrylikesbikes Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    I caught my report up today.

I am very sad but we decided that we were not cut out for the End to End ride. It wasn't the rain or the hills that got me, it was riding through the urban areas. We just had no idea how busy the roads would be! We had done a self supported ride here many years ago and I guess we were better about staying out of the city traffic (although I do remember being stressed in Dublin). Cycling through Plymouth nearly put me over the edge. And then the next day outside of Taunton, 3 cars passed me on a dual carriageway and cut in really close and fast. I ride on urban streets at home but this was just a little too close compared to what I am used to. In general it seemed about 1/3 of each day was spent negotiating some hairy traffic situation.

As we consulted our book we saw the traffic issues were only going to increase as we got further north. So we packed it in and headed to London. Will be leaving tomorrow.

On the bright side, I loved the riding we did in Cornwall and the ride up the Dartmoor was one of the most spectacular things I have ever seen. Everyone was so nice, and we were not chased by one dog (common at home). I am really disappointed that we are not finishing. And I am sorry for my team that I am missing so many days. I will have to reconfigure my training schedule when I get home and try to make up starting Sunday.
  • cloggsy71
    cloggsy71 Posts: 2,208 Member
    Options
    Epic combined distance for Team 4 yesterday (10th Jun); 468.8km's! Chapeau ladies and gentlemen!
  • TheBigYin
    TheBigYin Posts: 5,686 Member
    Options
    Last big push stage before the distances drop for a few days folks. 233km today :-(

Not kind for a work-day.
  • rides4sanity
    rides4sanity Posts: 1,269 Member
    Options
    Sorry Team 2, my ride for 7/10 got bumped by family obligations... I did get a nice steak out of it though...
  • veloman21
    veloman21 Posts: 418 Member
    Options

I am very sad but we decided that we were not cut out for the End to End ride. It wasn't the rain or the hills that got me, it was riding through the urban areas. We just had no idea how busy the roads would be! We had done a self supported ride here many years ago and I guess we were better about staying out of the city traffic (although I do remember being stressed in Dublin). Cycling through Plymouth nearly put me over the edge. And then the next day outside of Taunton, 3 cars passed me on a dual carriageway and cut in really close and fast. I ride on urban streets at home but this was just a little too close compared to what I am used to. In general it seemed about 1/3 of each day was spent negotiating some hairy traffic situation.

As we consulted our book we saw the traffic issues were only going to increase as we got further north. So we packed it in and headed to London. Will be leaving tomorrow

Kerry,

That's a bummer about LEJOG :-( After your initial post I looked at the website as I thought this would be a great cycling holiday for one of my trips back home. When I saw the itinerary I was surprised by the route they had chosen. If you were worried about Taunton, then I think you made the right decision because they have you riding through Manchester which would be a bit of a mare!! Also English roads are narrower than US roads which adds to the sense of insecurity. I must say that is one of the big benefits to living here in NC, somedays I can ride 100 KM and never see another car!!

There's a reason why so many bike commuters in London have video cameras mounted to there helmets!!
  • veloman21
    Options
    Way to go Team 4!! Great day yesterday. Not sure I'll be much help today as I've ridden 8 days straight but I'll be putting in a gift tomorrow.
  • sufferlandrian
    sufferlandrian Posts: 8,244 Member
    Options
    27y0q5z.jpg

This is what I feel like sometimes when I'm riding. :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
  • TheBigYin
    Options
    27y0q5z.jpg

Can we get one of those for Chris Froome ?
  • sufferlandrian
    sufferlandrian Posts: 8,244 Member
    Options
    27y0q5z.jpg

Can we get one of those for Chris Froome ?

ROFL!!!!! :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: I'll see what I can do. :laugh: :laugh:
  • kerrylikesbikes
    Options
    Veloman:

Thanks for your note. Taunton itself was really quite nice once we got it. It was way outside that people were speeding like maniacs! and the passing on the dual carriageway....ay-yi-yi! (granted it was 17:30). I think Plymouth and Exeter were what put me over the edge, though. And then just as you said, we discussed that next up on the list was heading up toward Manchester/Liverpool. Having dread in the pit of my stomach is not the way I want to spend my vacation!

Interesting enough we stopped in a very nice bike shop in Taunton (Kings Cycles). The guy that worked there told us (and showed us the scars) of his total facial reconstruction that had to be done after his cycle accident in Plymouth traffic. I told him if he was trying to make me feel better about quitting he was doing a good job.

Many people do End to End and are not intimidated. The other thing in my history is that I was hit from behind very badly and spent a 10 days in the hospital in Austria 15 years ago. I really have gotten past that and am confident about riding in traffic at home, but perhaps being abroad brought back some nervousness.
  • TheBigYin
    Options
    Kerry - just get the sleeper train to somewhere north of glasgow/edinburgh and enjoy the best bit of the LeJog... I've done it myself, and the cornish bit is good, some of the stuff in the lake district was beautiful, but frankly, the only bit I really enjoyed was scotland and the train home to Yorkshire (god's own county!)
  • kerrylikesbikes
    Options
    Kerry - just get the sleeper train to somewhere north of glasgow/edinburgh and enjoy the best bit of the LeJog... I've done it myself, and the cornish bit is good, some of the stuff in the lake district was beautiful, but frankly, the only bit I really enjoyed was scotland and the train home to Yorkshire (god's own county!)

Just got home last night. After a good sleep we are planning the return to do Scotland!
  • KitTheRoadie
    KitTheRoadie Posts: 641 Member
    Options

As we consulted our book we saw the traffic issues were only going to increase as we got further north. So we packed it in and headed to London. Will be leaving tomorrow.

On the bright side, I loved the riding we did in Cornwall and the ride up the Dartmoor was one of the most spectacular things I have ever seen. Everyone was so nice, and we were not chased by one dog (common at home). I am really disappointed that we are not finishing. And I am sorry for my team that I am missing so many days. I will have to reconfigure my training schedule when I get home and try to make up starting Sunday.

I commute on that Dual Carriageway and it's not nice! :embarassed: I've started sticking to lanes now too, pretty much traffic free and way more picturesque!

Sorry you couldn't finish the ride and more sorry that your ride through Somerset was let down by stoopid car drivers! :sad:
  • banshee1013
    banshee1013 Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    I had a great ride yesterday - my first training ride for Pedal the Cause, a cancer fundraising ride I'm doing in September (http://sandiego.pedalthecause.org/). My first time riding with a group - although I was off the back quite early on with another rider :) Since it was a no-drop ride, one of the ride leaders stayed behind with us, and I got a lot of nice pointers from watching and talking with her. Also, I've discovered that I *can* climb hills, even the "low and long" ones - as long as I have someone to chase :D A record-breaking (for me) 301m climb total, but that seems deceptively small for what it FELT like :D
  • TheBigYin
    Options
    well - I'm going to say it... TFI it's a rest day tomorrow. My arms ache, my shoulders and back are sore, and my saddle contact points feel like someones attacked them with a cheese grater.

It's been a wonderful tour so far - i'm so, so amazed at the way things have stepped up a gear this year, that I'm already worrying that the stupid distances some of us are doing is going to put off the more, how shall we say, leisure cyclist - the very people that I started this challenge to encourage. Maybe we can run a "sportif team" next year with 15 members, and I'll pre-vet them for "ringers"...

Anyhoo... massive thanks to Fran for keeping the spreadsheet up to date earlier today, and for Clive lending a hand - i'll have a tidy-up tomorrow when I surface after my Post Bastille Day / 51st Birthday celebration, where beaucoup de Vin Rouge is being imbibed...

Suppose I'll also have to trawl through the photo's I took and stick some of 'em in the Graham Watson Thread as well - hmmm... rest day my *kitten*...
  • Spatialized
    Spatialized Posts: 623 Member
    Options
    <snip>
    It's been a wonderful tour so far - i'm so, so amazed at the way things have stepped up a gear this year, that I'm already worrying that the stupid distances some of us are doing is going to put off the more, how shall we say, leisure cyclist - the very people that I started this challenge to encourage.
    <snip>

As a "leisure" rider (meaning I'm not pounding out the same as some of the more, ah, dedicated folks) it makes me want to ride, the very thing you meant to accomplish. I would've been on my 9th day in a row today if the GI monster hadn't taken me out over the weekend and it's because of a) goal I set for myself to ride everyday the pros do and b) contribute the best I can to my team. So the challenge is working!

And TBY, happy birthday!
  • cloggsy71
    Options
    hmmm... rest day my *kitten*...
    A change is as good as a rest mate :wink:
  • veloman21
    Options
    Happy Birthday TBY!!

I'm so happy it's a rest day tomorrow, I've managed to ride over 350km in the last 3 days and I'm absolutely knackered!! I am so in awe of how the pros ride virtually every day at stupid speeds and distances. This is a great challenge!!
  • Jakess1971
    Jakess1971 Posts: 1,208 Member
    Options
    Happy it's a rest day too, had a crappy couple of days with work and other stuff that's derailed me a tad, it's nice just to chill and not do anything apart from some gentle walking.

Happy to see a fellow nutter keeping me company sticking in some crazy miles Allan, love it :), in fact it's been impressive riding across the board, I have a particular target in mind with beating the Giro miles however weather and work always play a part, hitting it consecutive days really does give you an appreciation for what the pros do which is what I was going for this time, it's a nice focus and I think we're all having a lot of fun with this one :).

A big thank you to Mark for hosting this, still the best online challenge going by a country mile!
  • cloggsy71
    Options
    A big thank you to Mark for hosting this, still the best online challenge going by a country mile!
    Seconded!
This discussion has been closed.