July workout check-in thread - Don't July about your PR

Options

Replies

• suremeansyes
    suremeansyes Posts: 962 Member
    Options
    Boo. On Tuesday I killed it a little too much. I got a twinge in my back on my very last DL rep. I was hoping the day off yesterday would be enough, but it isn't. Taking the day off today from lifting, since I still have 8 hours of lessons to teach...not like I'm not working out. :/ Hopefully tomorrow I wake up fine.
  • beautifullyblessed16
    beautifullyblessed16 Posts: 180 Member
    Options
    I am on my 5th week of Stronglifts!!! Oh how time flew and oh how these exercises have gotten challenging QUICKLY.

Completed my second July workout this morning (workout A).

Squats: 110x5 (I didn't fail per se but my knees were wobbly on the last two sets and it felt like my hips were starting to rise first before the rest of my body. Wouldn't it be safe to say that I should repeat this weight on the next session for better form?)
    Bench: 60x5 (I am progressing at 2.5lbs each time and these are still fairly doable without too much stress and strain. I am still resting 90s between each set instead of the 3 minutes I have been doing for the squats. I am looking forward to the 2.5 increase next time)
    Rows: 65x5 (I am going to stay at this weight next time. I need to stop being lazy and do a form video for this exercise because I feel like I am shrugging my shoulders toward my neck instead of back as I pull the row/bar close to my chest. It might being just a matter of the weight being a little too heavy for me to handle. I can do the bar alone (45lbs) with no issues)

For my workout on this Saturday, I will be attempting my BW on the deadlifts. I did 145lb last time and boy, did it wipe me out good. My HRM went from 98 bpm to 151 bpm after just 35 secs of 5 reps. It was crazy and I loved it! It is, however, getting really hard on my hands. I have small calluses forming already on my hands. I am not using anything so far. What are you ladies using for the bar? I have a pair of gloves so I might use them after I attempt 155lb on my deadlifts.

I will save my comments about the OHP for later. We are rocky now at 57.5lbs. I will repeat that weight on Saturday.
  • suremeansyes
    Options
    Squats: 110x5 (I didn't fail per se but my knees were wobbly on the last two sets and it felt like my hips were starting to rise first before the rest of my body. Wouldn't it be safe to say that I should repeat this weight on the next session for better form?)

If you feel there was a form breakdown then technically you didn't complete the rep, know what I mean? So my rule of thumb is that if I feel that my form was off to a point of possible detriment, I'll count it as not completed which means I repeat the weight. If it was just very difficult, or my form was slightly off (but not possibly injury inducing) then I move on up. :)
    For my workout on this Saturday, I will be attempting my BW on the deadlifts. I did 145lb last time and boy, did it wipe me out good. My HRM went from 98 bpm to 151 bpm after just 35 secs of 5 reps. It was crazy and I loved it! It is, however, getting really hard on my hands. I have small calluses forming already on my hands. I am not using anything so far. What are you ladies using for the bar? I have a pair of gloves so I might use them after I attempt 155lb on my deadlifts.

I've heard not to use gloves as it messes with your grip. What I do is just file or use a pumice stone on my calluses. I also put Biosilk in my hair daily and rub some of it into my palms as well. The calluses were pretty bad there for a bit (one of my calluses ripped off and that hand became "Zombie Hand") but now they are super manageable even DL at 185 pounds. Just gotta tough it out through the building up stage. Are you using a mixed grip on DL? That helps me a lot.
  • hnsaunde
    hnsaunde Posts: 757 Member
    Options
    I've heard not to use gloves as it messes with your grip. What I do is just file or use a pumice stone on my calluses. I also put Biosilk in my hair daily and rub some of it into my palms as well. The calluses were pretty bad there for a bit (one of my calluses ripped off and that hand became "Zombie Hand") but now they are super manageable even DL at 185 pounds. Just gotta tough it out through the building up stage. Are you using a mixed grip on DL? That helps me a lot.

I second the mixed grip suggestion, and I use chalk instead of gloves. Technically speaking my gym doesn't allow chalk, but I loop-holed that rule by buying a "non-marking chalk substitute" off of Amazon :bigsmile:

For me, gloves still get slippery and it feels like I'm not gripping the bar as much, it definitely affects my grip. The first few times I used the chalk, it was downright painful when I let go of the bar, I was gripping so hard that I got the little bumps indented into my fingers, but now I'm used to it and my callouses aren't that bad because I lotion up right after every DL session.
  • ketoandbarbell
    ketoandbarbell Posts: 189 Member
    Options

I have been using thin cotton stretchy gloves that saves my hands from getting cut up and bad callouses and i don't think it has been to bad for my grip. I only use for DL and rows.
  • muroo
    muroo Posts: 68
    Options

Can you not adjust the pegs on the power rack to at least load the bar around mid-thigh high? Otherwise, quick tip: To remove plates, get one side out, then lift the bar upright to get the other one out. As for re-racking the plates themselves... well I guess I'm used to it now but usually I go for the 45's that are about groud level since they're easier. Still, after a while you'll get the hang of deadlifting/clean-uplling the plate up to your chest and you're working your grip to get it on the rack! Profit!

Yup, the bar I can set somewhere else which will help. It really is just re-racking the plates. I guess I will get used to it, but it is just a sad affair right now. I guess I have 5 or so days to decide next time it's Workout B day. :-) I'll work on my aim.

Re: chalk: There's stuff called Mighty Grip and similar other products that should also help with grip without leaving whatever bad news chalky residue that gyms don't like.
  • DeadsAndDoritos
    DeadsAndDoritos Posts: 267 Member
    Options
    Workout A for me last night.

Squats 10kg 4/5/5/4/5 My form is still poor but I will just keep at it.
    Bench Press 22.5kg 5/5/5/4/5 Man I struggle with this but I did better than last time.
    Rows 22.5kg 5x5 Think I have the form down now

Regarding the bench press, do any of you do them in a rack? Even though I am only on a low weight, I feel very unsure and in an ideal world I would like a spotter but I don't have one. Thinking I should do them in a rack to feel safer, although it still wouldn't stop the fear of dropping the bar on my face. For some reason, the difference between 20kg and 22.5kg for me in the bench press seems huge! I hope I don't sound stupid. I am such a noob so go easy on me! :smile:
  • krokador
    krokador Posts: 1,794 Member
    Options
    Whew! It,s that time of the month again! Bodyweight gauntlet! 3 mins AMRAP
    - ~50lbs assist pull-ups: 20
    - Squats: 104
    - Push-ups: 48
    - Burpees: 25 and a lot of technical difficulties due to my floor being DRENCHED.It's still way too humid over here!

Plank: 1:18... I used to be able to hold 2 mins rather easily. Maybe I should do these more often? Ha.

Then went out and did the first workout of the 6 min mile 6 week program. 200m x 8 (Which I think my track is actually 350m so make that 175m but I'll always run there so I can compare ha.) Kept around 49-50 seconds for the most part, but my last lap was 44.55! After a hundred squats? I'll take it =D
    Regarding the bench press, do any of you do them in a rack? Even though I am only on a low weight, I feel very unsure and in an ideal world I would like a spotter but I don't have one. Thinking I should do them in a rack to feel safer, although it still wouldn't stop the fear of dropping the bar on my face. For some reason, the difference between 20kg and 22.5kg for me in the bench press seems huge! I hope I don't sound stupid. I am such a noob so go easy on me! :smile:

You definitely could do them in the power rack, I've had some issues doing that myself though because I couldn't get the bar to be at the right distance and the lowest position for the safeties was too high compared to the bench. Now that I think of it though that was the crossfit rig and not the power rack, but if you can get comfy go right ahead. Although I wouldn't worry about dropping the bar on your face too much

1- unless you're unracking/reracking the bar, it should be over your chest. Just sayin ;P
    2- Most bench press "fails" will happen before the first half of the press. You can lower the bar safely and do the roll of shame if you get stuck. Worst case scenario would be getting a few bruises on your hips from rolling it there and catching your hip bones. Practice with an empty bar first and you should be golden.

As for chalk, liquid grip is pretty good but ever since my gym allowed chalk in the crossfit area i've been using that instead. You could probably get away with it if you use it smart. They only ban it because people are stupid, dip their hands in the stuff and put it every frickin where. All you need is to rub a small block on the callouses and a bit of the fingers!
  • DeadsAndDoritos
    DeadsAndDoritos Posts: 267 Member
    Options

You definitely could do them in the power rack, I've had some issues doing that myself though because I couldn't get the bar to be at the right distance and the lowest position for the safeties was too high compared to the bench. Now that I think of it though that was the crossfit rig and not the power rack, but if you can get comfy go right ahead. Although I wouldn't worry about dropping the bar on your face too much

1- unless you're unracking/reracking the bar, it should be over your chest. Just sayin ;P
    2- Most bench press "fails" will happen before the first half of the press. You can lower the bar safely and do the roll of shame if you get stuck. Worst case scenario would be getting a few bruises on your hips from rolling it there and catching your hip bones. Practice with an empty bar first and you should be golden.

Thanks for the comments. Yeah it is when I am reracking that I am worried about dropping it. Just need to be careful. One day last week I only managed to get one end in the rack and couldn't lift the other end up and some kind soul ran over to help me. Still, I didn't let it hit my face so I am sure I am just being silly. I was going to ask about the position when bench pressing though. At first I was doing it at the nipple line, but then my boyfriend told me I should be doing it a bit higher, at the top of my chest. What do you ladies say?
  • krokador
    krokador Posts: 1,794 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the comments. Yeah it is when I am reracking that I am worried about dropping it. Just need to be careful. One day last week I only managed to get one end in the rack and couldn't lift the other end up and some kind soul ran over to help me. Still, I didn't let it hit my face so I am sure I am just being silly. I was going to ask about the position when bench pressing though. At first I was doing it at the nipple line, but then my boyfriend told me I should be doing it a bit higher, at the top of my chest. What do you ladies say?

Bar position will be highly dependant on your own anatomy and the arch you keep in your back while benching. (The higher the arch, the lower it will be on your chest, but your forearm length could play a role there too). Too high will put a lot of stress on your shoulders. Too low won't give you your best leverage. I tend to be just about nipple line and I have a practically non-existant arch on my back. I usually have a fairly narrow grip though and my elbows are tucked in a good bit (I'm very triceps dominant).

That's my take on it, anyway. And OMG I can't wait to try my bench on Monday! lol
  • Gen2703
    Gen2703 Posts: 197 Member
    Options
    Good day ladies!!

Today was workout B. God I love deadlifts! No FAILS today either. haha!

Goblet Squats 5x5 with 30lbs dumbell..
    overhead press 5x5 45lbs empty bar. These were better than last time! I think i'll up by 5pounds next time.
    Deadlift 5x5 120lbs. Man this makes me feel like a badass!!! Although I feel grip issues coming up. Will definitively keep switch grip in mind from all the comments made on grip today!

Now I'm starving. :mad:
  • suremeansyes
    Options
    I was going to ask about the position when bench pressing though. At first I was doing it at the nipple line, but then my boyfriend told me I should be doing it a bit higher, at the top of my chest. What do you ladies say?

Lol, I'm so immature. I was like "Ha...nipples..."

But anyway, I go just above, I guess under my clavicle? Between nipples and clavicle. Also, everyone's nipple line is going to be different depending on size of boobs and nipple placement, right? lol

I have a slight arch in my back, I prefer it.

ETA: I lied, definitely closer to nipples than clavicle. I just benched right now. Lol.
  • dapunks
    dapunks Posts: 245 Member
    Options
    Happy Friday!! Happy Independance to to all you Americans.

Last nights workout
    Workout A
    Squats
    Warm-up: 1x8xBodyweight, 1x8xBar (35lbs), 1x8x55, 1x8x65
    Working set: 3x8x85

Bench Press
    Warm-up: 1x5xbar, 1x5x55
    Working: 5x5x60

Row
    Warm-up: 1x5xbar, 1x5x60, 1x5x70
    Working: 5x5x85

20 km (almost 13 miles) bike ride home after the workout.
  • katro111
    katro111 Posts: 632 Member
    Options
    Whew! Got in my LAST SL workout at the gym - next one will be at home! :smile: Had some trouble getting my butt up and moving this morning, but I managed to do it (after taking a nap on the couch for an hour lol).

Squats - 5x5 @ 147.5lbs
    Bench Press - 5x5 @ 82.5lbs
    Single-arm dumbbell rows - 5x5 @ 45lbs

Had to pee after bench press and when I came back the bro vultures had taken all the barbells so did single-arm rows instead. Adequate rest between sets is no joke; I took 3 minutes between the first three sets of squats, 5 minutes between the last two sets and did 3 minutes between all sets for bench and rows and I certainly KILLED IT. Yeah, it took me an hour and 15 minutes, but for realz, I didn't feel like I was going to burn out at any point. Feels great!:happy: I'm also trying out increasing all of my lifts at smaller intervals doing 2.5lbs each time instead of 5lbs.
  • katro111
    katro111 Posts: 632 Member
    Options
    I was going to ask about the position when bench pressing though. At first I was doing it at the nipple line, but then my boyfriend told me I should be doing it a bit higher, at the top of my chest. What do you ladies say?

Lol, I'm so immature. I was like "Ha...nipples..."

But anyway, I go just above, I guess under my clavicle? Between nipples and clavicle. Also, everyone's nipple line is going to be different depending on size of boobs and nipple placement, right? lol

I have a slight arch in my back, I prefer it.

ETA: I lied, definitely closer to nipples than clavicle. I just benched right now. Lol.

Hahaha, I heart you suremeansyes - you crack me up! I was thinking the same thing... :laugh:

I did bench just a couple hours ago and don't care if this is TMI or not, but my nips are not exactly right in the center (thanks to yo-yo dieting for over a decade, they aint perky that's for sure) when I'm laying down but I bring the bar down to the center of what I can see of my lady lumps. That might mean it's a little bit higher/close to my clavicle than my rib cage, but I always feel bench press in my pecs and triceps so I think it's ok!
  • alg121710
    alg121710 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    I'm new to this group so this is my first time posting but I've been doing SL for a while.

Just got done with my workout -

Squats -- 5x5 @ 130

OHP -- 3x5 @ 45, 1X5 @ 50 1X3 @ 45 -- I struggle with OHP....not making much progress on upper body for some reason.

Deadlift -- 2X5 @ 135. Did one set and then did a second to show my husby good form : )

10395367.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Nutrition Facts For Foods
  • perseverance14
    perseverance14 Posts: 1,364 Member
    Options
    Hi alg, nice to "meet" you.

Once palm is healed completely I will progress more with the barbell, right now happy to be doing what I am, but healing has progressed a lot, should be completely healed soon.

Workout B (Fri)

hot potato squat - 5 x 10 - 15

dumbbell skier swings - 5 x 10 - 40

lateral hot potato squat - 5 x 10 - 15

Dumbbell side bend - 5 x 10 - 40

squats 5 X 5 - 135

overhead press 5 x 5 - 55

barbell rows 5 X 5 - 75

reverse curls 5 x 5 - 60

underhand bicep curls 5 x 5 - 80

flys 5 x 5 - 40

ab crunches - 1 x 100
  • Llamapants86
    Llamapants86 Posts: 1,221 Member
    Options
    Workout a today
    Squat 160 3x5
    Bench 70lbs 5/4/4
    Row 80lbs 4/4/3 my lower back was being weird and sore so I didn't push these

Accessories
    I changed this up because well I wanted to lol
    Assisted pull ups 8/7/7
    Flies 3x10 16lbs
  • spirit095
    spirit095 Posts: 1,017 Member
    Options
    I'm too lazy to write up all of my workouts for this week lol, but it was A, B, A for me. I tried front squats today (5x5@45) and at first it felt really awkward, but with more practice, I think I'll be ok with it. I also did some glute bridges because I want my booty to grow! haha

Have a great Friday and weekend!
  • KaterinaTerese
    KaterinaTerese Posts: 345 Member
    Options
    Workout A today! Still working my way up a little since I deloaded again.

Squats: 145lbs 3x5
    Bench: 70lbs 3, 3, 4 (failure, staying at this weight)
    Row: 70lbs 3x5

Had a sugar hangover from all the July 4th goodies yesterday, so instead of being energized, I felt hella exhausted. :sick: