July workout check-in thread - Don't July about your PR

Options

Replies

• Gen2703
    Gen2703 Posts: 197 Member
    Options
    One question for you all, see what you think! I have a volunteering event this weekend and by the time I'm finished, the gym is already closed so I'm thinking about my third workout of the week. The two options I have left are:

-Option 1: double workout on Thursday if I can handle it, full workout A first + full workout B after
    -Option 2: no rest day, workout A on Thursday, workout B on Friday.

Does any of these options sound better than the other? Thanks everyone! :)

I would NOT do option 1 at all. I don't think it's a good idea but I'm not a pro.. I would either workout 2 days this week instead of 3 (hey, life happens!!) OR if you really really want to get your 3 workouts in I would go with option 2.. :happy:
  • krokador
    krokador Posts: 1,794 Member
    Options
    One question for you all, see what you think! I have a volunteering event this weekend and by the time I'm finished, the gym is already closed so I'm thinking about my third workout of the week. The two options I have left are:

-Option 1: double workout on Thursday if I can handle it, full workout A first + full workout B after
    -Option 2: no rest day, workout A on Thursday, workout B on Friday.

Does any of these options sound better than the other? Thanks everyone! :)

If you MUST, just catch up on the missed day by taking one less rest day when you have 2 lined up. But even then I wouldn't advise so (I would personally do it because I'm stubborn and a lil cray/stupid, but I would never recommend doing that to anyone lol) Just do what you can during the weekend and get back to it next week. Missing a workout won't kill your gains. If you can get some bodyweight stuff in over the weekend just to get the blood flowing though, by all means!

So, Krash, reporting for duty, ma'ams! (Or Klutzadore - I think that was Iwoodroff that gave me that nickname?)

Today wasn't a good day. It wasn't even remotely fun. I was in tears for a good part of the workout. I was out of breath and fatigued just doing my warm-up. I've become even worse at jumprope than I was before, somehow. I don't know what's going on. I just kept bumping into everything (huge bruise on my right eyebrow from running into a bar in the rack in between sets of pull-ups and pike presses to prove it. Among other things)

I did manage to work up to a very ugly clean & jerk rep @ 105

Did 9 chin-ups with about 50-60 lbs assist, 10 unbroken pike presses, 3 more sets of those (one of them , as I've stated, crying...)

Then came the chaos session. Called for 6 rounds of 1 min work, 30s rest
    - Barbell Thrusters @65 x 5
    - Sit Outs R.A.T. (remaining amount of time)

I was, again, crying after the second set. Kept pushing through though. It must be the hormones or something, ha. I guess the caffeine was masking these? I'm such a girl.
  • JuliRamone
    JuliRamone Posts: 365 Member
    Options
    First: thanks for the warm up advice! I will try some stuff, hopefully it'll help.

Today was Workout A:

squats: warm up, 5x5 @ 62,5kg
    bench press: warm up, 5x5 @ 36,5kg
    rows: 5/5/5/5/4 @ 41kg (I hate rows...)
  • lavendy17
    lavendy17 Posts: 309 Member
    Options
    So I know I'm following something different but of the stuff our group did last night, here are my stats rellevant to the topic:
    DL:
    2x5 @ 95#
    2x5 @115#
    I never went over 105#. The trainer really helped my form, and helped me trust my armpits and glutes. I still have a bit of achiness in my back but this was my first time in a long time and it was higher weight.

I also bench pressed but because we jsut started they gave us dumbells and we did one hand at a time. I did 1x5 @15# and 2x5 @20#.
    The 20 was doable, I think I will try the 45# bar next time.
    We also did assisted pull ups and something else - but I don't know the name.
  • Calliope610
    Calliope610 Posts: 3,771 Member
    Options
    Slowly shifting gears from cardio to SL and core strengthening...

3.0 miles @ 4mph w/ .25mile cooldown
    foam rolling & stretching
    planks - 1x30sec, 1x40sec, 1x50sec

Does anyone have a link to a good plank progression? i.e. is 2x60sec better than 4x30sec? How does one progress with planks and other core exercises?
  • katro111
    katro111 Posts: 632 Member
    Options
    Slowly shifting gears from cardio to SL and core strengthening...

3.0 miles @ 4mph w/ .25mile cooldown
    foam rolling & stretching
    planks - 1x30sec, 1x40sec, 1x50sec

Does anyone have a link to a good plank progression? i.e. is 2x60sec better than 4x30sec? How does one progress with planks and other core exercises?
    Not sure if it's the right way to progress, but I started with just body weight and worked up from 15sec to 30, 45, 60. Once I could do 60 sec, then I started adding weight plates to my back and going through the time progressions. Once I could do 60 sec with a certain amount of weight added, then increase the weight and go through the time progressions again. Hope that helps!
  • rps67
    rps67 Posts: 163 Member
    Options

Have you seen the 30 day plank challenge? I'd probably try that for plank progression.

Went to the gym tonight with the 7 year old and 14 year old so they could swim. I decided to make it a fairly quick session in the weight room.

Squat, 5x5 @ 80 lb.
    Bench, 4x5 and 1x3 @ 70 lb. -- I don't know why but this blows me away. I couldn't get the last 2, but I'm shocked I could do the rest before that at 70 lb.! That sounds so heavy. I love this program because I constantly have little victories with being able to lift more.

I skipped rows again. I still hate them and blamed my skipping on the kids wanting to swim. I suck.

I swam for 30 minutes, but with the 7 year old there, it was just casual, no laps. Tomorrow is running day and the last time I swam laps the night before running, it kicked my butt.

I have a question about goblet squats! I thought about adding some of these in on days I don't lift to help with flexibility and being able to get below parallel. Does the weight matter? I have a 5 lb. dumbbell here that I can use but if I'm better off using a heavier one, I'll need to get pick one up.
  • canadianlbs
    canadianlbs Posts: 5,199 Member
    Options
    Bench, 4x5 and 1x3 @ 70 lb. -- I don't know why but this blows me away.

*i'm* impressed. and when i get up as high as that i'm going to be blown away too.

i'd really like to know what it is that you hate about rows, just because i'm curious to know if it's the same stuff i hate. don't know if that takes the thread ot and we should start a new one, but i feel like there's a chance for some bonding in this.

i rode my 15 miles today and tried out some air squats, but other than that i'm still resting. i just don't have the pep for the bike ride that i ought to have, and i realised yesterday or sunday that my quads are numb to being poked. they don't want a foam roller anywhere near them. even lying flat on the floor and flexing my legs to make them the main area of contact and pressure is ow. i've been beating the hell out of them with a doohickey i have that's supposed to be for massaging your feet, and i don't think i'm going to go and try lift until my knees have calmed down. it's just prepatellar bursitis, but i think there's a relationship here.
  • canadianlbs
    canadianlbs Posts: 5,199 Member
    Options
    Bench, 4x5 and 1x3 @ 70 lb. -- I don't know why but this blows me away.

*i'm* impressed. and when i get up as high as that i'm going to be blown away too.

i'd really like to know what it is that you hate about rows, just because i'm curious to know if it's the same stuff i hate. don't know if that takes the thread ot and we should start a new one, but i feel like there's a chance for some bonding in this.

i rode my 15 miles today and tried out some air squats, but other than that i'm still resting. i just don't have the pep for the bike ride that i ought to have, and i realised yesterday or sunday that my quads are numb to being poked. they don't want a foam roller anywhere near them. even lying flat on the floor and flexing my legs to make them the main area of contact and pressure is ow. i've been beating the hell out of them with a doohickey i have that's supposed to be for massaging your feet, but if they get to the point where they feel like doms, that'll be progress for them.

i don't think i'm going to go and try lift until my knees have calmed down. it's just prepatellar bursitis, but i think there's a relationship here. i thought about stopping off and doing the ohp and maybe deadlifts at least, but tbh i'm just not feeling like it.
  • katro111
    Options
    Did my first Wendler's 5/3/1 workout yesterday! Wow, it's intense. I love it!

Bench - warm-up plus: 5x55lbs, 5x65lbs, 12x72.5lbs
    Squats - warm-up plus: 5x100lbs, 5x117.5lbs, 8x132.5lbs
    Acessories - 3x10 lunges @ 45lbs, 3x10 hip thrusts @ 45lbs, 3x10 bent-over rows @ 45lbs, 3x10 Pendlay rows @ 45lbs
    I was going to load up the barbell for the accessories and do 5x10 (as suggested by Wendler) but I decided to go easy and just use the empty bar. It wasn't really that easy, lol. I'm feeling all of it today!
  • LadyDeadlift
    LadyDeadlift Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    I am looking forward to getting back into the routine of regular work outs.... for now - I go when i'm able.

Last night's was a 'do what you can' type of workout - I had a short amount of time and a bored teenager with me. This ended up feeling like a nice warm up work out -- I was ready to WORK after this but only had ~45 mins total...

Did 5 sets alternating squats 135x7 and OHP 45x10

Then 5 sets alternating bench at 65x10 with narrow stance squats 95x10

Holy cow what a different experience for squats depending on wide vs. narrow foot placement. Wider = move a LOT more weight; narrow = feel it big BIG time in my hams and abs

I like the difference and I think I'm going to add narrow squats as an accessory exercise .... or something like that
  • Calliope610
    Calliope610 Posts: 3,771 Member
    Options
    After a 15 min warmup on the treadmill...

leg curls - 30# 5x12
    leg ext - 20# 5x8

I do the curls and extensions to help strengthen and stabilize my patella - I have been dx'd with Patellar Tracking Disorder.

BW box squats - 5x12 - Surprisingly, I loved this!! I was able to concentrate on straight vertical movement, engaging my hips. I didn't even feel that I looked like an idiot while doing them. I could also feel the "push from the heels", so very successful endeavor! I will continue w/ these for a couple more sessions, then progress to the goblet squats. '

Any suggestions on appropriate sets/reps?

Bench -45# 1x5, 55# 1x5, 60# 5x5 - I lost some strength here - I was benching 75# before.
    Rows - 45# 5x5 - concentrating on feeling the squeeze in my shoulder blades

All in all, Day 1 of "Put up or Shut up" was awesome.
  • krokador
    krokador Posts: 1,794 Member
    Options

Acessories - 3x10 lunges @ 45lbs, 3x10 hip thrusts @ 45lbs, 3x10 bent-over rows @ 45lbs, 3x10 Pendlay rows @ 45lbs
    I was going to load up the barbell for the accessories and do 5x10 (as suggested by Wendler) but I decided to go easy and just use the empty bar. It wasn't really that easy, lol. I'm feeling all of it today!

A fun thing you could do for accessory/conditioning is set it all up in a complex ;) You like those don,t you? :P
  • mymodernbabylon
    mymodernbabylon Posts: 1,038 Member
    Options
    I did my 3rd day of 5x5:

Squat 5x5 - 25 kg
    Bench 5x5 - 15 kg
    Row 5x5 - 17.5 kg

I started low so right now it's feeling okay, but I know I'm going to be working hard soon. I have a 2 week holiday in 3 weeks so I'll probably have to start all over but that's fine.
  • katro111
    Options

A fun thing you could do for accessory/conditioning is set it all up in a complex ;) You like those don,t you? :P

Oooooh, yes I do! Makin' it more challenging = I love it!
  • Gen2703
    Gen2703 Posts: 197 Member
    Options
    Good day ladies!

Today was major deload. I share all the hate most have for rows!!! It's just.. omg.. it gives me a headache when it's really tough.

Squats - goblet, 40lbs dumbell 5x5
    Bench - deload from 70lbs to 65lbs but at least i got a GOOD 5x5. it felt good!!
    Rows - deload from 75 to 65, and got a really good 5x5 as well. Finally it felt good and not discouraging. I'll keep those weights for a few workouts then try to go up again.

Yesterday I did a wicked plyo/tabata style workout with a friend.. 34 mins, I had sweat coming down my arms. Loved it!!!!
  • spirit095
    spirit095 Posts: 1,017 Member
    Options
    Hi! I've been kind of lazy about checking in lol

Today was workout B

Squats: 3x5@95, 5@100, 5@105 (form was crap at 5x5@105, so I'm working up to it again)
    OHP: 3x5@50.5
    DL: 5@110 (felt good)
    Assisted chin up: 3 (not quite with full ROM)

Hope you all have a good rest of the week :smile:
  • coltsgirl311
    coltsgirl311 Posts: 226 Member
    Options
    Workout A for me today; I went out of order since someone was in the squat rack (at 4:40 am, I have to fight for the squat rack? really?). Mini rant over. :)

Bench 65 lbs 5x5
    Row 65 lbs 5x5 I was 4/5 of the way through these when I realized I was supposed to be lifting 55 lbs... lol
    Squat 105 lbs 5x5

Then did 45 minutes on the elliptical.
  • marylynndrake
    marylynndrake Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    Hi everyone, I am new and well might as well start checking in on where I am. Everyone is doing so well, it's great to see. I am on Week 2 of SL5x5 using guidance from Mehdi's website. It has been really useful. Here is where I am currently:
    Squat 100lb
    OP 40
    Deadlift 80
    BP 40
    BR 40 (but it feels like i am doing it wrong/ bad form). Has anyone on here worked through this issue?
    Thanks!
  • Llamapants86
    Llamapants86 Posts: 1,221 Member
    Options
    I have been really bad about writing out my workouts here, but I'm still working out well. I think I might start looking into a new program as I am getting a little bored.

Squat 3/4/3 175 lbs I got all of them but missed parallel on quite a few reps (afraid of having to bail) I think a deload will be in my near future.
    ohp 3/4/2 65 lbs and then 1x5 @60
    DL 1x3 185 lbs grip failed on that one

SLDL 3x6 135lbs didn't feel like taking off the 45's so I pushed it a bit
    Glute bridges 3x8 135 lbs

I have pretty much given up on running, it just bores me now. I might start up again if I register for a race but I am not ready to do that yet. (I r lazy lol)