Did you swim today?

Options

Replies

• MonkeyMel21
    MonkeyMel21 Posts: 2,394 Member
    Options
    I swam yesterday. Didn't have time to post, we had a crazy person randomly walk in to our office and then at one point claimed he was from Isis and threw some cheese on the ground.... Took to police over 15 minutes to get here! Then the rest of the day was suuuuuper busy. Anyway. 200 warm up, 4x50 freestyle, 4x50 breast, another 200ish (maybe more, who's counting, lol). In the pool for just under 30 minutes. Shared a lane with a guy, it's always really fun for me when I fly by men doing freestyle while I'm doing breast (and/or freestyle), just makes me feel good about myself, lol. He was a very nice lane partner though! Oh, and I paid attention to if I was "rolling" properly while side breathing. I think I was?
  • Robertus
    Robertus Posts: 558 Member
    Options
    2 miles, 64 minutes, with a cool down.

My body is still feeling just a little bit of the muscle/joint strain of the 6.3-mile swim 11-days ago. Don't know how you can do 4 miles every day, fishgutzy. That would destroy my shoulders/elbows. You must have sinews made of leather.
  • fishgutzy
    fishgutzy Posts: 2,807 Member
    Options
    Robertus wrote: »
    2 miles, 64 minutes, with a cool down.

My body is still feeling just a little bit of the muscle/joint strain of the 6.3-mile swim 11-days ago. Don't know how you can do 4 miles every day, fishgutzy. That would destroy my shoulders/elbows. You must have sinews made of leather.

Just persistence.
    I actually have degenerative osteoarthritis in my right shoulder that prevents me from doing the back stroke. Fortunately it does not interfere with free style.
  • fishgutzy
    Options
    4 miles today. All free style.
    Did oval in the lane for a bit with as many as 3 others. The slowest that tried to join the lane quickly moved out. Getting lapped to many times is bad for the ego I guess
  • Montepulciano
    Montepulciano Posts: 845 Member
    edited May 2016
    Options
    3000 yards 1 hour and 15 minutes. Lots of short sets because I am so out of shape.
  • MightyLolo
    MightyLolo Posts: 504 Member
    edited May 2016
    Options
    I swam and swam. Hooray! so much progress. Except crawl. I was taught bilateral breathing from the get-go, and it was pretty much natural, until today. Today, every time I rolled left, my face was too low...but I swam through it*, and after about 35 minutes, it gradually corrected itself. I also did dolphin kick laps--still my best kick, really, but I don't have butterfly arms yet--and my back and abs are satisfyingly tired.

*worst-case: roll on back, back stroke while coughing, cough cough, roll, continue...

I don't think I've mentioned, as of last year, I'm going to limp for the rest of my life, on dry land, but as my swimming proficiency has improved, it's successfully filling the hole left by my lost love of walking. So, Yay!
  • fishgutzy
    Options
    3000 yards 1 hour and 15 minutes. Lots of short sets because I am so out of shape.

And that is how you increase your endurance. Gradually the sets get longer and the rest stops shorter.
  • juliet3455
    juliet3455 Posts: 3,015 Member
    edited May 2016
    Options
    There's an old saying " There's no bad Running Weather, just bad clothing choices".
    Today was very Bad George Carlin Type Running weather - We are in summer? Right?

My Local Weather Forecast
    Issued: 4:00 PM MDT Thursday 19 May 2016

Snowfall warning in effect.

Tonight Snow at times heavy. Snow mixed with rain early this evening. Local snowfall amount 10 cm. Wind north 30 km/h gusting to 50. Low minus 2. 10cm = 3.9 inchs.

Fri, 20 May Snow at times heavy changing to rain near noon. Local snowfall amount 2 to 4 cm. Rainfall amount 10 to 15 mm. Wind northeast 30 km/h gusting to 50. High plus 4.
    Night Rain. Amount 5 mm. Wind north 20 km/h. Temperature steady near plus 4.

I think its going to be a good day for swimming.
    Double dip today because of the great weather - ##!!SNOW##!!.
    Hit the pool at noon for 650m crawl & breast and 200m of kick drills. The pool was very HOT.

Hit the pool again at 8:00pm for another 1100m of drills.
    50 kick, 25 crawl
    50 whip kick, 25 breast
    100 , 200, 100 Catch up and Body Roll.
    50 kick, 25 crawl
    50 whip kick, 25 breast
    100 , 200, 100 Catch up and Body Roll.
    All breathing was done on my Left shoulder which is my weak side.
    It was crowded and the pool was still very hot.
  • SwimmyD
    SwimmyD Posts: 96 Member
    edited May 2016
    Options
    @juliet3455 I feel for you - snow is not fun. Especially in May. We had a light snowfall in Sunday and I couldn't believe it!!

@fishgutsy - I wish three in a circle swim was all I had to contend with. If you swam at my pool you'd think you were in the other pool you used to swim at while working in China. Absolute mayhem. Big wide kick breaststrokers everywhere, not looking where they are going and colliding into everyone.

Today I got back in the pool and finally felt a little more normal. I've been in a bit of a funk for the last week. Getting to hate my pool actually. I bought a new swimsuit to cheer myself up and GOD I LOVE NEW SWIMSUITS! Ha! Nothing like the nice squeeze of a new speedo! I also bought a new pull-buoy. My old one fell apart so I bought the two-sponge roll tied with a strap kind - this time. It has a plastic type covering like the figure 8 kind so it's not porous. It was awesome! It didn't shift as I flip turned on the wall and stayed put at my knees! (I find I don't have the same coordination as I did in my thirties to hold that figure 8 type still as I flip). So I'm happy today.

200 warm
    200 pull free
    400 kick IM order
    200 Whip kick
    10x100 FR on 2 min. (keep btwn 1:30 and 1:40)
    4x100 alt Kick/pull breast
    4x50 descending breast on 1 min
    400 kick fins (200 back and free)
    200 BR
    200 kick free and chat with your new friend
    Total 3.4km - 80 min
  • MightyLolo
    Options
    I only learned breast stroke as a child because I was terrified of putting my face in the water. A few months ago I finally booked some adult lessons. I've improved my breast stroke, learned back stroke (still a bit of trouble with timing my breathing) and today I did my first ever length of front crawl! I'm in awe of the number of lengths you guys do in one session but today I'm feeling a little bit pleased with myself :smiley:

That is awesome; congratulations! :star::sunglasses:
  • emmab0902
    emmab0902 Posts: 2,337 Member
    Options
    No swimming for me. Have injured my lower back - possibly ruptured disc. So am pretty much immobile for a while. Had just started at gym and back to regular swimming so feel gutted. (And no it wasn't a gym related injury, did it at home.) :cry:
  • juliet3455
    juliet3455 Posts: 3,015 Member
    Options
    @emmab0902 Feeling your Pain Miss Emma. Hope it's just some muscle strains and you are able to recover and get back in the grove.

We have received over 20cm of snow in the last 24 hrs so we have had major power outages in a 200 km radius. So off to work I went - driving on roads that were nasty - repairing Emergency Generators at various Telecom sites. Had to walk into some of the sites since the snow was even deeper in places. One Farm House I drove past you could just see the top of the bicycle tires sticking out of the snow which means closer to 40 - 50 cm ( 20-24 in ) of snow. Not a fun day. No swimming
  • emmab0902
    emmab0902 Posts: 2,337 Member
    Options
    Doc thinks either prolapsed disc or torn sacroiliac ligament. Can't move!
  • MonkeyMel21
    MonkeyMel21 Posts: 2,394 Member
    Options
    emmab0902 wrote: »

Oh man, that's terrible! Back injuries are the worst!! I hope you heal fast,
  • aliciamariaq
    aliciamariaq Posts: 272 Member
    Options

Whatever that is, it does not sound good. What rotten luck! Hope you heal fast.
  • MightyLolo
    Options

OMG that's awfull! :heartbreak: I wish you speedy healing and minimum pain.
  • Montepulciano
    Montepulciano Posts: 845 Member
    Options

Do take care of yourself. Hopefully once you can move again, the Doctor will include swimming in your rehab. Keeping good thoughts.
  • mpeters1965
    mpeters1965 Posts: 370 Member
    Options
    No swimming for me. Have injured my lower back - possibly ruptured disc. So am pretty much immobile for a while. Had just started at gym and back to regular swimming so feel gutted. (And no it wasn't a gym related injury, did it at home.) :cry:

I'm not surprised it was at home. I swear I am way more likely to hurt myself doing normal stuff than exercise. I hope you heal soon. Take care of yourself.

I swam Monday, Thursday and this morning. Mostly my normal routine of mixed sets for about 45-55 minutes. They finally got the back stroke flags up between Thursday and this morning so I added backstroke back in today. I did reasonably well staying straight without rafters to guide me so I guess the winter practice helped. The Florida sky was beautiful this morning and I appreciated looking up into the clouds. Sorry to hear about those of you having snow this late in May! That's the pits.

It's great seeing how the newer members are making progress. Keep it up you guys!!