Options
    Robertus wrote: »
    Kickboards are evil.

The evilest :)
  • fishgutzy
    fishgutzy Posts: 2,807 Member
    Options
    MightyLolo wrote: »
    My instructor wants me to practice with the dreaded kickboard, learning to keep my head out of the water *and* my feet high. I figure I probably have weakness in hip and low back extension, from the surgeries, so I did it. I didn't, y'know, like it, :wink: but I think I actually made progress.

That is kind of funny. When I use a kick board, I use it with my arms out stretched in front and my head down in line as I do with free. Breath it both sides alternating.
  • emmab0902
    emmab0902 Posts: 2,337 Member
    Options
    Kickboards are evil.

Seriously they are. They potentially damage your shoulders. Do kick on your side or back. Kickboards mostly do more harm than good.
  • MightyLolo
    MightyLolo Posts: 504 Member
    Options
    fishgutzy wrote: »
    That is kind of funny. When I use a kick board, I use it with my arms out stretched in front and my head down in line as I do with free. Breath it both sides alternating.

The thing is, with my head in line, I have no problem with my feet being too low in the water (um, finally...I did work on that for a while)... It's only when my head is up out of the water, that I cannot for the life of me get my feet near the surface. So that's why she's having me do this. *sigh
  • girlwithcurls2
    girlwithcurls2 Posts: 2,259 Member
    Options
    I snuck in 30 min in an increasingly crowded lane yesterday. Great pace of swimmers for me though! I was whacked a few times by swim club kids. I finally decided I'd rather be whacked by my own lanemates, so I gravitated toward the center on my return. Seemed to work out well.

I gave up the kickboard per the advice here. Now I do a sort of Superman kick (with fins, let's be real) and put one arm extended, one back at my leg, kick like hell, arm over/take a breath, and repeat. Switch sides on the return. I like it much better than the board. Emma, I used to feel some discomfort in my shoulders with a board. I intuitively thought it couldn't be good, but there are so many boards, and so many people using them (swim team) that I assumed it was me in the end... Glad I have you guys!
  • fishgutzy
    fishgutzy Posts: 2,807 Member
    Options

The thing is, with my head in line, I have no problem with my feet being too low in the water (um, finally...I did work on that for a while)... It's only when my head is up out of the water, that I cannot for the life of me get my feet near the surface. So that's why she's having me do this. *sigh

That is because when you lift your head your butt and legs naturally sink.
    I suspect, as others have mentioned, trying to keep your legs and butt up with your head up would be quite a stress on your neck and shoulders.
  • juliet3455
    juliet3455 Posts: 3,015 Member
    Options
    emmab0902 wrote: »
    Kickboards are evil.

Seriously they are. They potentially damage your shoulders. Do kick on your side or back. Kickboards mostly do more harm than good.

Our Swim Coach has us do a 6 kick switch.
    Think Superman position with 1 arm out front - 1 arm at your side, face down.
    6 kicks, stroke-breath, other arm is now lead - support, 6 kicks, stroke-breath and repeat.
    *********************************************************************************************

Triathlon Swim Club tonight. Drills - Arm positions exit and entry, pull length, arm position in pull. My pull is unbalanced, my left arm is a little weaker-mobility restricted so working on balancing the stroke. Left arm not pulling all the way back to the Hip. Left arm entry is not Flat palm, I have a tendency to drop my wrist - like putting a parking break on my left side.

1500m of Drills and 500m warm-up/cool-down.
  • nuffer
    nuffer Posts: 402 Member
    Options
    No swimming in the past week due to travel (and eating, let's be honest, it was a trip to New Orleans). While I was gone the evening lap swim time changed to an hour earlier which I failed to plan for today. My back would really like some laps...

Love the evil kickboard comments. I see many of the "seasoned" swimmers and most of the youth swim team kids doing board drills hanging on to the front of the board which ends up under their chest. I assume this gives some relief to the shoulders. I tried it a time or two but it seemed to put more stress on my neck.
  • Robertus
    Robertus Posts: 558 Member
    Options
    New Orleans is one of my favorite cities, after Munich and Paris. Great food, great music, nice architecture even. It is as good as kickboards are evil.
  • Bruceapple
    Bruceapple Posts: 2,026 Member
    Options
    Today: 1 mile @ 58 minutes
  • Montepulciano
    Montepulciano Posts: 845 Member
    Options
    3000 yards 1hour 10 minutes....I think I was just trying to finish before a big class let out and the locker room was going to be crowded. Such a motivator!
  • MightyLolo
    Options

That is because when you lift your head your butt and legs naturally sink.
    I suspect, as others have mentioned, trying to keep your legs and butt up with your head up would be quite a stress on your neck and shoulders.

It is, very stressful! My low neck and upper back spasm a bit, and as a rower, I'm really strong there! I hate to question my instructor; she's been a delight, and very helpful overall, but maybe I should stop taking this bit of instruction. Hmmm.

• Montepulciano
    Montepulciano Posts: 845 Member
    Options
    So after all the comments on here about kicking and kickboards, I realized that while I do kick for about 1000 yards now, I make sure that somewhere in the middle I do about 200 yards of back stroke kick, just to give my shoulders a break from the board.

It is, very stressful! My low neck and upper back spasm a bit, and as a rower, I'm really strong there! I hate to question my instructor; she's been a delight, and very helpful overall, but maybe I should stop taking this bit of instruction. Hmmm.

How much time are you spending on the kick board? Honestly if it bothers you I would simply go boardless and do the superman drill as others have described. Hope that helps.
  • MightyLolo
    edited May 2016
    Options
    So after all the comments on here about kicking and kickboards, I realized that while I do kick for about 1000 yards now, I make sure that somewhere in the middle I do about 200 yards of back stroke kick, just to give my shoulders a break from the board.

How much time are you spending on the kick board? Honestly if it bothers you I would simply go boardless and do the superman drill as others have described. Hope that helps.

Maybe 20 minutes, cumulative? I do a couple lengths and then set it aside until my neck loosens up, and repeat. I do really enjoy the superman drill, and it was helping me a lot. I guess I'll go back to it. :smile:
    juliet3455 wrote: »
    Our Swim Coach has us do a 6 kick switch.
    Think Superman position with 1 arm out front - 1 arm at your side, face down.
    6 kicks, stroke-breath, other arm is now lead - support, 6 kicks, stroke-breath and repeat.

Yah, this! I love doing this...and I think it was working. I don't know why she made me switch to a kickboard.
  • oneespanola
    oneespanola Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    my lesson yesterday was an hour instead of half so plenty of time to practise kicks, side breathing and arms all separately in the first half then put them all together in the second half. Altogether managed 750m of backstroke and front crawl - neither of which I could do 7 weeks ago! My brain still feels that FC is a bit like trying to "rub my tummy and pat my head" when I was a child but at least I can get from one of the pool to another :-)
  • rahmat_hidayat
    rahmat_hidayat Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    Hi, i like swimming so much. Sometimes i do 3 times a day in the morning, noon, and night.Actually I just started swimming since 2 months a go. Now I can perform all 4 styles including flip turn, underwater dolphin kick, and diving. Currently my favourite style is baby butterfly for my silence and recreational swimming. At the beginning I learn the basic from my children, and I continue learn from youtube. Please help and advise me to improve my swimming skill. Thanks.
  • rahmat_hidayat
    rahmat_hidayat Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    Swim sweet swim...
    rahmat805 wrote: »
    Hi, i like swimming so much. Sometimes i do 3 times a day in the morning, noon, and night.Actually I just started swimming since 2 months a go. Now I can perform all 4 styles including flip turn, underwater dolphin kick, and diving. Currently my favourite style is baby butterfly for my silence and recreational swimming. At the beginning I learn the basic from my children, and I continue learn from youtube. Please help and advise me to improve my swimming skill. Thanks.

• girlwithcurls2
    girlwithcurls2 Posts: 2,259 Member
    Options
    @aliciamariaq, that is an awesome feeling!! Good luck in London :heart:

No laps for me before class. I was waiting for the shop to call and tell me my car is ready. No go. It needs more work... $1400 more work than I was planning on.
  • juliet3455
    juliet3455 Posts: 3,015 Member
    Options
    Triathlon Swim Club tonight. 1600m of drills.
    Picture 1 double lane and 6 Swimmers all going in the same direction - same drill - same speed to get that Shoulder to Shoulder crowded feeling.
    200m of warm-up, Front Crawl and 6 Kick Switch.
    800m of front crawl paced drills - lots of minor technique corrections from the coach's.
    100m of simulated Big Wave/Swimmer Induced Turbulence - trying to maintain breathing, site line to target and pace. Amazing how big the Hole in the water is when you rotate your Body/Head for a breath, important to only breath from the " Top Side of the Mouth "
    400m of pack swim around the perimeter of the pool - rotating from back of pack to the front, simulating fighting through the crowds at the start of a swim.
    100m of cool down swimmers choice.

A good group as some of them are from the lessons I took earlier this year, Biking Club or the Running Club ( Beer Club ) so we pretty much all know each other.