Did you swim today?

Options

Replies

• fishgutzy
    fishgutzy Posts: 2,807 Member
    Options
    Such consistent times, gutzy. I'm impressed at how your pacing is so steady. My daughter runs like that. I love running with her because up or down, she maintains pace. She said it came after good coaching, and years of just staying in touch with what works.

The last 660, a guy kept tryingto "race" me. He didn't know that I was more than 5 hours ahead of him already. :D
    But it was nice to I still had a little extra push in me at that point.
    I lucked out that for most of that nearly 6 hours I had away least the half lane to myself.
    I'm less consistent on week nights when there is more sharing with slow people.
    Since note, my swimming partner in Shanghai is a woman who swims circles around most of the guys doing breast stroke. And she pushes hard to not let me pass her. I'm coaching her a little on front crawl.
  • beerfoamy
    beerfoamy Posts: 1,521 Member
    Options
    1km
    did not try long swim Sunday - only just feeling bit better and 1km took it outta me this morn! bleh to being ill!
  • skinnyrev2b
    skinnyrev2b Posts: 400 Member
    Options
    fishgutzy wrote: »
    The last 660, a guy kept trying to "race" me. He didn't know that I was more than 5 hours ahead of him already. :D
    :D:D:D:D>:)<3

• juliet3455
    juliet3455 Posts: 3,015 Member
    Options
    20 days until the pool re-opens after Maintenance cycle. I know that I will struggle to get a simple 1000m in.
  • skinnyrev2b
    Options
    1200 for me today. Felt tough until the last 8 laps... then realised I'd done it all 5 mins faster than last time 😉
  • beerfoamy
    Options
    1km again

lesson: do not do underwater stuff with a head cold. Pressure of ow! Ears still feel weird!
  • skinnyrev2b
    Options
    1200m for me. Mixed it up a little.
    Does anyone else find the first few laps (10 for me) feel awful, but the rest feel amazing...?
  • fishgutzy
    Options
    1200m for me. Mixed it up a little.
    Does anyone else find the first few laps (10 for me) feel awful, but the rest feel amazing...?
    The first few laps the muscles are warming up. I greet the same thing some days.
    Used to get the same thing when i rode a bicycle a lot.
  • emmab0902
    emmab0902 Posts: 2,337 Member
    edited September 2018
    Options
    Just 1800m today. Only had a 30 minute window in the work day. But had to swim for this cause.

1600m swim (24-25 minutes)
    200 warmdown

https://www.facebook.com/events/197436717627158/?ti=cl
  • beerfoamy
    Options
    1km
    was hoping for a bit longer today but a combination of chatting to a mate I haven't seen at the pool in a while and cold made for yet another baby swim!

really hoping to be much better by Sunday
  • fishgutzy
    Options
    beerfoamy wrote: »
    1km
    was hoping for a bit longer today but a combination of chatting to a mate I haven't seen at the pool in a while and cold made for yet another baby swim!

really hoping to be much better by Sunday

Had to laugh. I was working on my usual weekday swim, a swimmer I had talked to on a previous trip showed up. She was done when I was 2/3 finished because she had not had dinner yet. I told her I'd cut my swim short if she'd go to dinner with me. :D She said yes.
    I call her my Shanghai swim partner now. Just friends.
  • fishgutzy
    Options
    8888m last night. A lucky number in China.
    Penance laps for missing Wednesday night.
  • emmab0902
    Options
    2100m

500 warmup

4x 75 back on 1.25

4x 75 free on 1.20

16x 25 IMO on 35

100IM

8x 25 free max on 45 holding 15s

300 warmdown
  • beerfoamy
    Options
    1 mile!

whoop an increase! haha
  • skinnyrev2b
    Options
    Well done @beerfoamy! 1200 still for me. Thanks for the tip @fishgutzy, I treated the first part like a warm-up and felt much better about it. Next week's swims will be increasing to 1400 before the mile in two weeks. What plans would you all recommend after that? More distance? Speed work? Techniques? Cheers!
  • beerfoamy
    Options
    Well done @beerfoamy! 1200 still for me. Thanks for the tip @fishgutzy, I treated the first part like a warm-up and felt much better about it. Next week's swims will be increasing to 1400 before the mile in two weeks. What plans would you all recommend after that? More distance? Speed work? Techniques? Cheers!

after that - whatever you want. :) It may depend on time you have available and sessions available at your pool - longer distances can get tricky time wise.

I have recently started (before cold, bleh) doing some speed work which was very fun. 50m as fast as poss, wait til 1min10, 50m as fast as poss, wait til 2min 20 etc for 5 lots of 50m.

I also play around with the float to work on arm/hand technique. Someone suggested doing the odd length with hands in fists to work on forearm pull - now that feels weird as hell!

But yeah....just keep enjoying it! :D
  • fishgutzy
    Options

Regarding technique, I found that a couple YouTube videos on high elbow helped my a great deal. Helped engage more lats and back for a stronger catch.
    Funny thing is to someone watching it might look like I'm coasting. But I'm passing young swimmers that are kicking like crazy and getting exhausted trying to keep up.
    I'm not that fast either. About 2:10 to 2:14 per 100m.
    Not everyone has access to pools with all day or nearly all day open lap swim times.
    I guess I'm asking the fortunate.
    It is Saturday morning in Shanghai now. Planning an 11km swim.
  • emmab0902
    Options
    3900m this morning

400 warmup

16x 75 pull as every 5th br

30 minute timed swim for distance
    (Did 2100m)

200 warmdown
  • fishgutzy
    Options
    11km in 4 hours.
    My calf muscles are still sore from the hard cramps I fit around the 6600m mark. Feels like I stood too many heavy weight calf raises.
  • fishgutzy
    edited September 2018
    Options
    Side note from above. Missed the edit window.
    The cramps were Thursday during the 8888m swim. Didn't drink enough water during the day.