Did you swim today?

Options

Replies

• AquaticQuests
    AquaticQuests Posts: 945 Member
    Options
    ashenriver wrote: »
    Finally Home! It was a full full day. I swam in 5 events. Two relays where I swam 50 m free in both. I only have my split time for the first medley (39.01).
    My other three races were 50 m free (40.95 sec), 100 m free (1:33.68) and 1500 m (31:04.35 with splits averaging 2:05)

Apparently I have also caught the coaches attention, not sure if that is a good thing or not.

I also need to find a way to keep my goggles on when I dive into the water.

Great job Ashen!

I also have problems with goggles coming off with dives and it tends to destabilize me for the rest of the race!
  • NoelFigart1
    NoelFigart1 Posts: 1,276 Member
    Options
    ashenriver wrote: »
    Finally Home! It was a full full day. I swam in 5 events. Two relays where I swam 50 m free in both. I only have my split time for the first medley (39.01).
    My other three races were 50 m free (40.95 sec), 100 m free (1:33.68) and 1500 m (31:04.35 with splits averaging 2:05)

Apparently I have also caught the coaches attention, not sure if that is a good thing or not.

I also need to find a way to keep my goggles on when I dive into the water.

Nice!
  • NoelFigart1
    edited February 2015
    Options
    1500 42:07
  • girlwithcurls2
    girlwithcurls2 Posts: 2,264 Member
    Options
    Congratulations, ashen!! What an accomplishment! I love the suggestion to use glue for the goggles, lol...

I made it to the pool yesterday and got about 50 min in of really easy swimming. LOTS of stopping, just working on form. I had done a 7.5K run with my sister in the morning that was brutal (all gravel, and hills, hills, and more hills...) so I knew I was there for a bean in the jar. And what a bean it was. Whatever "clicked" 10 days ago is solidly clicked in my muscle memory. I still have very little endurance, but I wasn't working on that yesterday. Just working on looking down, finding the pocket of air for breathing, and staying long. It felt great. Weekend swims are so much less hectic because it seems it's mostly newbies there, people who have been at the gym and decide to add a swim that day, or parents who pull away from the kids' pool for 10 min to get a few laps in.
  • Robertus
    Robertus Posts: 558 Member
    Options
    2 miles today. First time I've done that since high school.
  • juliet3455
    juliet3455 Posts: 3,015 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    1200 m ~ 40min plus 20 minutes of kick and stroke drills.
    LG/Swim Instructor said my stroke was looking better - not wind milling - getting a good high elbow, breathing looked better and taking advantage of the glide.

@ Ashen : great job and good times. goggles and glue B)

@ Curls2 : Swimming after a run - Impressive. My legs are usually dragging on the pool bottom like anchors after a run.
  • fishgutzy
    fishgutzy Posts: 2,807 Member
    Options
    5 miles. Pre Super Bowl workout.
  • newoutlook2014
    newoutlook2014 Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    had my 2nd swim lesson today. did lots of drills. still got a way to go to meet my Easter goal of 12 lengths non-stop
  • bama6977
    bama6977 Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    20x50 yds@30 min
  • AquaticQuests
    edited February 2015
    Options
    2.5 km 57ish
    And today there was all sorts. People swimming width wise, diagonally, S- shape...you name it, we had it in the pool today! Frustrating!
  • AquaticQuests
    edited February 2015
    Options
    No drills today? :smile:
    Robertus wrote: »
    2 miles today. First time I've done that since high school.
    It is an amazing feeling when you start hitting high school distances, isn't it?
    WTG
    juliet3455 wrote: »
    1200 m ~ 40min plus 20 minutes of kick and stroke drills.
    LG/Swim Instructor said my stroke was looking better - not wind milling - getting a good high elbow, breathing looked better and taking advantage of the glide.
    - Good job Juliet!
    fishgutzy wrote: »
    5 miles. Pre Super Bowl workout.
    Ah! I see someone is almost back in 10 km territory eh? Wow!
    had my 2nd swim lesson today. did lots of drills. still got a way to go to meet my Easter goal of 12 lengths non-stop
    Keep it up new outlook! You may be very surprised to find yourself meeting the Easter goal, before Easter!
    bama6977 wrote: »
    20x50 yds@30 min
    Good job Bama!
  • Macstraw
    Macstraw Posts: 896 Member
    Options
    Lotta good swimming going on, I'm really looking forward to when I'm back in it....

Ashen - great job in the meet. As a coach, I'll tell you that it's a great thing that you caught the coach's attention, it means you swam really well. The downside is that you will not get more attention at practice & will probably have your workload ramped up a bit now that they know you're in it for real.....

Curly - I knew it would click for you, it's fantastic to hear. One thing I want you to keep tucked in the back of your mind for future reference - if you have a spell where you're not in the water for a period of time you might not feel that stuff naturally when you get back in. Should that happen, keep swimming - it's just a matter of shaking the rust of & it will all still be there. You will feel your body naturally make those changes & within a few sessions back in it will all be right there - do NOT allow yourself to feel discouraged or that you've lost it. I've been swimming my entire life & it happens to me if I miss more than a few days, but I always get back into my groove pretty quickly. You've done such an awesome job & I just want you to know that now that you've had these things click, they will always be there....
  • girlwithcurls2
    girlwithcurls2 Posts: 2,264 Member
    Options
    Thanks, Mac. You guys have been incredibly encouraging. Now that I have made some progress that has made swimming feel good, I know that with more practice, I'll make another jump up again. A new swimming friend at the pool taped me yesterday, so I got to compare that with the one my daughter took over the Christmas holiday. I could already see improvement. Lots of things to keep working on, but I kind of see it like any other project-it will take time, but I'm enjoying the challenge (very uncharacteristic of me! I usually give up on things that are this hard...) :)
  • NoelFigart1
    Options
    No drills today? :smile:

Don't tell on me.

To be frank, I almost didn't swim at all (ver' tired and grumpy), but I'm going to be out of the water for a week starting Thursday, and I knew there was going to be a snowstorm today that would make it unlikely I'd be able to get in a swim AND go to work, so...

Yes, excuses.
  • cw106
    cw106 Posts: 952 Member
    Options
    first 1km of the year in 49 mins,motivated by monthly weigh in!
    cw 77.
  • ashenriver
    ashenriver Posts: 498 Member
    Options
    I am looking forward to improving my swimming. New goal is to take 2 seconds off my 50 metre time and be functional at flip turns. Maybe not for the next meet, but for Provincials in April.
    I think my problem (losing googles) with the dive start is not tucking my head down enough. I was lucky enough to get a photo of my dive and by comparing it to elite swimmers photos I see my head is in line with my arms whereas the elite swimmers their head is below their arms. I will try tucking my chin more on Tuesday and see.
  • juliet3455
    juliet3455 Posts: 3,015 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    1000m No drills - to crowded and the water slide was on - it dumps into a catch basin which then dumps into the pool causing a wicked current that push's you into the ropes.
    Tuesday and Thursday are the Final days of this session of Swim Lessons.

newoutlook : Once you get so you can complete one length you will find that the second length comes a lot faster. When I started I would complete the one length - Hang in the corner of the lane out of the way while taking a breather. It didn't take long where I was linking 2 lengths before the breather break. Then 4, 6 etc. I still take a water bottle to the pool so I can re-hydrate and take a break if its just not working on a particular day.
  • newoutlook2014
    newoutlook2014 Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    1000m No drills - to crowded and the water slide was on - it dumps into a catch basin which then dumps into the pool causing a wicked current that push's you into the ropes.

newoutlook : Once you get so you can complete one length you will find that the second length comes a lot faster. When I started I would complete the one length - Hang in the corner of the lane out of the way while taking a breather. It didn't take long where I was linking 2 lengths before the breather break. Then 4, 6 etc. I still take a water bottle to the pool so I can re-hydrate and take a break if its just not working on a particular day.

thanks for this. I'm about to go but I'm nervous about holding people up in my lane.

• Tamois
    Tamois Posts: 64 Member
    Options

thanks for this. I'm about to go but I'm nervous about holding people up in my lane.
    Never worry about other people behind you in the pool. They will slip out and overtake you. Swim in the direction everyone else is and you'll be fine. I was nervous as well when I started a couple of weeks back that I'd be getting in everyone's way. But you want to get fit for you and sometimes a little selfishness is needed! Good luck in your next swim - we can both do this!
  • AquaticQuests
    edited February 2015
    Options
    2.5 km 57 min
    The higher stroke rate is still brutal, but starting to thing maybe just maybe I may just be able to stick with this thing...maybe!