Did you swim today?

Options

Replies

• NoelFigart1
    NoelFigart1 Posts: 1,276 Member
    Options
    I agree with @Macstraw If you're doing it several times a week, changing it up, some hard, some easy, some long distance, some shorter, is a good thing.

FWIW, I actually do have workout distance schedule.

MWF -1500 yards
    T,TH - 1300 yards
    Sat or Sun - 2000 yards

• newoutlook2014
    newoutlook2014 Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    went back to the pool last week for a couple aqua jogs after injuring my knee the other week. felt good. next week I start lessons to improve my swimming technique so I can reach my swimming goal of swimming 12 lengths non-stop by Easter. hanging in there and still loving the water
  • 60sPanda
    60sPanda Posts: 303 Member
    Options
    Yeah - 5 km swum in 1 hour and 41 minutes. Just got to shave off one minute to reach my goal!!
  • NoelFigart1
    Options
    Woo! Hoo! Getting close, @60sPanda! That's wonderful.
  • girlwithcurls2
    girlwithcurls2 Posts: 2,267 Member
    Options
    45 min last night. Empty lanes! The difference between Thursday night and Friday is really striking. Usually I do an aqua fitness class on Friday nights, but those empty lanes were calling me.
  • bama6977
    bama6977 Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    36x50 yard@45 min
  • ashenriver
    ashenriver Posts: 498 Member
    Options
    Update from Thursday. I was tired and feel like going but I went to my Masters Swim anyways.

I have discovered a problem with my front crawl form. I think I got too used to open water swimming and also having to watch for others in my lane. When I swim I do not keep my head in the neutral line. I am always looking ahead slightly. I noticed quite a difference when I had my head in the neutral line with my body. So much more streamlined. It is going to take awhile to get used to looking straight down.
  • NoelFigart1
    Options
    Did the US Masters Postal Swim (Basically a national contest where everyone swims as far as they can in an hour, then they mail in the results and get ranked). While it won't be anything to write home about nationally, I feel pretty good about my progress.

Splits

500 13:01.17
    1000 26:50.68
    1500 40:43.15
    2000 54:26.98
    2200 60:00.00
  • AquaticQuests
    AquaticQuests Posts: 945 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    Did the US Masters Postal Swim (Basically a national contest where everyone swims as far as they can in an hour, then they mail in the results and get ranked). While it won't be anything to write home about nationally, I feel pretty good about my progress.

Splits

500 13:01.17
    1000 26:50.68
    1500 40:43.15
    2000 54:26.98
    2200 60:00.00

Great job Noel and your pace was pretty consistent throughout. Your progress has been GREAT!!!!
  • Bruceapple
    Bruceapple Posts: 2,026 Member
    Options
    Yes, 2 miles @‌ 66 minutes
  • Macstraw
    Macstraw Posts: 896 Member
    Options
    Great work, Everybody!!!!

Ashen - it's a BIG step when you can diagnose what's wrong with your own stroke!!!!!

Noel - Great swim, nice splits!!!!
  • newoutlook2014
    Options
    started my swim classes today and managed to swim 4 lengths non-stop! yay! I know that sounds like nothing to many but my Easter goal is to swim 12 lengths non-stop, and considering I couldn't swim one length non-stop at the start of the year, I'm happy. definitely feel fitter from all the aqua jogging I've been doing...
  • NoelFigart1
    Options
    started my swim classes today and managed to swim 4 lengths non-stop! yay! I know that sounds like nothing to many

No, it's not nothing. That's a fourfold improvement in less than a month. That's awesome.
  • NoelFigart1
    Options
    1500 42:43
  • Macstraw
    Options
    Noel - nice swim :smile:

newoutlook - it's definitely not nothing, we've all been there & it's taken time to build the stamina. What you're going to find (the really cool part of this whole thing) is that if you keep putting the work in the stamina will come faster than you're expecting it too. The increases aren't linear, they're exponential. I think you'll hit your 12 lengths long before Easter....
  • girlwithcurls2
    Options
    Wow, great swims, folks! Noel, your progress is awesome. I love how consistently you and some of these other people get in the water. It is really encouraging to me when I don't feel the love of the pool, lol.

Ashen, I totally get ya! Finding the bottom of the pool is one of the many things I talk to myself about when I swim. And like you, I feel so much more fluid when I do.

newoutlook, how do you push yourself to keep going when you don't think you can? I know I have the cardio capacity because I do lots of other things, but there is something psychological about increased heartrate and breathing while swimming that I can't seem to push past. I know I need to do it in order to be able to increase lengths, but every time I go, I just wimp out. I saw a woman in the lane next to me last week who was swimming nonstop the entire time I was there. She swam slower than I kicked on the board. I try to remind myself not to push too fast, so I'm not winded, but I also know that I can't swim that slowly.

bama and panda, keep it up! You guys are inspiration! :)
  • Macstraw
    Options
    Curly - you don't need to swim THAT slowly, just don't go full tilt. You already know that you can physically go further, my psychological key when I was adding yardage was to stop thinking long term (about how far I was going to go), I took the short term view of "Just a few more strokes", which I was able to do without feeling stressed. I would just keep saying that, knowing I always had a couple of more strokes in me. You'd be surprised how much further you can go if you stop thinking about the total distance.....
  • newoutlook2014
    Options
    thanks for the support, guys. I'm so glad I found this group!

Curly, I really think in my case it was partly getting my fitness up doing heaps of aqua jogging over the last couple weeks, and also in the swim lesson we focused on drills. So it was a combination of drills, improving my technique and improved fitness. and I finally get it when people say you use a lot of your upper body pulling yourself through the water.. it really is like a 'front crawl' motion. and I didn't swim that fast.
  • Bruceapple
    Bruceapple Posts: 2,026 Member
    Options
    Yes, 2 miles @‌ 70 minutes
  • girlwithcurls2
    Options
    Macstraw wrote: »
    Curly - you don't need to swim THAT slowly, just don't go full tilt. You already know that you can physically go further, my psychological key when I was adding yardage was to stop thinking long term (about how far I was going to go), I took the short term view of "Just a few more strokes", which I was able to do without feeling stressed. I would just keep saying that, knowing I always had a couple of more strokes in me. You'd be surprised how much further you can go if you stop thinking about the total distance.....

I doubt I could swim that slow! ;) Had a good swim last night. I decided to give another lap a go. Just try it. I could always roll onto my back or switch strokes if I needed to. I did tell myself that I could do "one more length" to keep going. It worked. I made it through 4 sets of 3 full laps. My legs were tired from a run the day before, but I focused on looking down, and pulling with my arms. I know that when I have a focus, even for just one length, it takes my mind off the part that struggles with how far. I'm going to try the same thing tonight. I feel like any improvements that I made with my awesome swim a week ago are sticking. I haven't left the pool feeling like nothing clicked. Something clicks and it's still working, so I must have made it over a hump. It's all good... :)

Thanks for the support, people! It's nice to have a community of people who completely understand the struggles and victories.