Exercise and Weight Loss Challenges

Options

Replies

• gaylebodine
    gaylebodine Posts: 1,678 Member
    Options
    Yes, it is that feeling of trying to find what I want to eat. Interesting. Pam, please tell me what behaviors that successful maintenance people, such as you, have in common. I think you said an hour of exercise a day and adjusting intake if the scale says you are up.
  • MapDancer
    MapDancer Posts: 246 Member
    Options
    When I have that munching feeling it is more likely due to trying to avoid one thing that I feel wouldn't be a good snack... and then end up eating it eventually anyway! So sometimes I just go ahead and eat 1/2 of whatever it is and get over it.

A good resource for successful behaviors is The National Weight Control Registry website. nwcr.ws/

I do differ on my TV watching though - averaging 7 hours/week just on the treadmill plus some in the evening.

On the left column you see Research Findings. There is a quick list of Facts. At the bottom of that page is Research Findings. There you see a list of published research articles - mostly from technical journals. Sometimes the abstract is interesting enough to click through to the entire article. Though written in their technical jargon and stats it does have bits and pieces that make sense!
  • MapDancer
    Options
    I've read many of James Clear's articles - this one seemed very appropriate.
    Success can be between saying "I can't.." and "I don't..."
    jamesclear.com/how-to-say-no
  • gaylebodine
    Options
    1/05/18: 207
    1/12/18: 207.2
    1/19/18: 205
    1/27/18: 205.2
    2/02/18: 205.6
    2/09/18: 205.4
    I'm thinking I'm just stuck--and trying the Metabolism Revolution Diet when it comes out on Feb. 27th. A friend of mine lost all her weight in a little over a month and has kept it off. Healthy food but is supposed to reset a healthier metabolism. Also buying a treadmill in March. When I did the mfp diet 3 years ago I was consistently losing 2 pounds a week or more. Think I have "broken" my metabolism. In the meantime will stick to my 1200 and trying to move more. I shredded my achilles tendon and it is not getting better but am going to start walking with my brace on (it is an ankle support from Walgreens that my podiatrist approved). I also have heel lifts in my shoes. But, as I said. Seems to be getting no better. Might just be old age. But am going to stop using it as an excuse.
  • gaylebodine
    Options
    2/16/18: 204.0
    Gave up out of control night eating for lent. Already seeing a positive result. Pam suggestions helped, plus a friend of mine, also on maintenance, says she eats her breakfast again if she's eaten her dinner too early or is hungry after dinner. Come to think of it if I am eating every 3 to 4 hours all day then about 8:00 is when my body expects another feeding. Anyway, one day at a time I'm going to ride herd on it.
  • gaylebodine
    Options
    2/16/18: 204.0
    2/23/18: 204.8
    Had a couple days (my son's birthday for one) where I went off track again later in the day. Back on track. So slow but not giving up.
  • MapDancer
    Options
    Don't give up! You're so close to a new centa-weight. That's what my sister and I call it when we hit a new number range, ie 170s to 160s is a new deca-weight.

How is your tendon? Are you able to walk every day?

When I started MFP I went with the calories suggested for losing 1lb/week, and most times ate some of my exercise calories too. In actuality I averaged 3lb/month loss steadily with some plateaus towards the end. So what I'm asking is, are the 1200 calories something you choose? I didn't see that low of a total till I was a lower weight. Are you able to eat enough so that you are feeling satisfied each day and not putting yourself in a conservation mode?

Maybe my ignorance was bliss :) I hadn't explored any diet books or programs before MFP so I just followed the path.

On another point. My DH joined MFP at my 6-month mark in March 2014. Since I do the food stuff you think it would be easier for him with me weighing out portions and stocking the kitchen - and when I do make sweets they are healthier than store bought. He gets on the treadmill on days he doesn't play hockey. He won't talk about his weight at all! He has lost some, but I don't think he has lost 50 lbs.
  • gaylebodine
    Options
    That's interesting about your husband, usually men, especially active men, lose so easily. But guess he's at a happy weight and I think he does some secret eating. He's got a stash somewhere. But it's all good, if true. So great that he is along for the ride with your food choices.
    I am doing better with eating in the evenings. Not perfect. I realized that during the day I eat every 3 hours or so and then run into hunger 3 hours after dinner. Makes sense. So having an egg beaters omelet or something. I do eat my extra calories for leisurely walking. My tendon is not getting better but I guess it just takes a long time. My foot doctor thought the heel lifts would do it in the long term. I wear a light ankle brace (Walgreens) daily except days when I don't get dressed and just working on my computer.
    I am cashing out a savings plan from a school I used to teach at (now defunct). I'm going to buy a treadmill. That is one exercise machine that I will be faithful to. So then will walk daily, I know it will help. Otherwise it is just walking around walmarts or grocery stores to get my steps. So, once I get the treadmill I'm not waiting to walk daily. Think my tendon will be happy about less weight.
    I'm also doing Haley Pomeroy's Metabolism Revolution https://hayliepomroy.com/products/metabolism-revolution
    in March as well. A friend of mine in Colorado who is on maintenance lost all her weight with Haylie. She is actually a little too thin. But happy.
  • MapDancer
    Options
    LOL decades ago I remember finding TastyKake wrappers in the trash.. DH would pick up something in a convenience store while he was on the road. Probably why he gained weight after we married, that and my regular meals being better than what he grew up with. I don't think he has a stash now - though I have chocolate in several rooms myself ;)
    He's a gentle soul that doesn't like to draw attention to himself. His dad had a fatal heart attack just before turning 50. He's 51 now and other than being overweight he's doing well - but it would be easier/better to lose it now. I didn't start MFP till I was 59, now I'm 63.

Speaking of treadmills - let me give you something to consider. My sister got one a few years ago and then started having trouble with her knee/hip and then she got a elliptical thinking that would be better. But she found walking outside was the least painful, but in Florida outside walking is only nice for about 2 weeks in Feb and Nov! When she would visit me she could easily use my treadmill without pain. We finally figured out that my Precor treadmill was 20" wide. Her treadmill was 16" or 17" wide. Length isn't as important if you are walking. The narrow width was making her compensate in some way.

She got some money from a long ago project recently and got the same model Precor as mine and they gave her some credit for taking away her other two pieces. They are pricey though - about $2000.
  • gaylebodine
    Options
    Thanks for the tip Pam! I will look for wider. I found an Achilles tendon support that looks good on Amazon. I think I will probably buy used but will see what I can find. Just briefly looked and the remanufactured Precor is 2000 including shipping. Hope to have one by mid-month.
  • gaylebodine
    Options
    Spring 3 month challenge. I've decided to shift to a seasonal challenge. I think in terms of seasons in my life: Winter: Dec/Jan/February, Spring:March/April/May, Summer June/July/August, and Fall Sept/Oct/Nov. Let's give ourselves a little more time to complete our seasonal goals and honor the seasons. We will still have Friday weigh-ins.
    The next challenge will be Spring 2018 from March 2nd through May 31st with the Summer 2018 Challenge starting on June 1st. Think it will be easier to remember and feels like a more natural rhythm.
  • MapDancer
    Options
    My sister found a discount on the floor model Precor that had been put in the store in January - definitely didn't get used that much yet. She was told that otherwise they are backordered currently. She's in Florida. Worth calling around locally too.

Our first treadmill, Bowflex, we got from amazon in 2006. We were very pleased with it - it went 9 years without a single problem. Until one winter day my DH was using it and the static went from his hand to the bar and shorted out a circuit board. The tech wasn't sure if they would be able to fix and we'd have to wait 3+weeks. I knew I couldn't be without for that long! There were dramas to watch! and calories to burn!

Supposedly the static isn't a problem anymore. Fingers crossed!
  • gaylebodine
    Options
    After I saw your post I found a hardly used Precor for 650.00. I talked to the guy but then realized it was more treadmill than I needed since I'll just be walking and my son said he wouldn't use it. A local friend and her husband run on their treadmill they bought used for around 200.00. More my league. When I am ready to buy this month she is going with me to the play it again sports store where they bought theirs. The deciding factor was whether my son would use it too. Also the Precor is 6' long. I will look for one that is at least 20" wide though.
  • gaylebodine
    Options
    3/02/18: 203.6
    This is my first weigh in for the Spring Challenge. Yesterday it said 202.6. You are right that I am getting closer to that new decade. I'm gearing up for doing a 2 week metabolism reset (Metabolism Revolution) starting on March 12th. Healthy food and eliminates a lot of inflammatory foods like tomatoes. My friend, Sandra, is my support person locally. She lost all her weight and has kept it off. She is younger and walks her dog a lot. I'll report back. In the meantime I'll stay true to my 1200 calories and trying to move more.
  • MapDancer
    Options
    3/9/18: 135.2
    Every year we like to give our house a birthday gift. This year it decided for itself what it wanted!
    Problem with our ductwork has meant that we haven't turned our heat on since Monday morning. With a heat-dish and my computers running my small office can get up to 70 degrees and the propane fire place gets the downstairs to 68 degrees when we are there in the evening. But the bedroom was 58 this morning - actually not bad for not having any heat running overnight. We even had the edges of the big snow Wednesday. Today is the second day of duct repair and we should be able to turn on the heat tonight.

• gaylebodine
    Options
    I like the idea of a yearly gift for your house! Guess it is fair for the house to pick. You guys sound like people who know how to save for a rainy day. Good for you!
  • gaylebodine
    Options
    3/02/18: 202.6 First day of Spring Challenge
    3/12/18: 204.6 This is the first day of my Metabolism Revolution diet, wasn't hungry and right around 1200 calories
  • gaylebodine
    Options
    3/02/18: 202.6 First day of Spring Challenge
    3/12/18: 204.6 This is the first day of my Metabolism Revolution diet, wasn't hungry and right around 1200 calories
    3/17/18: 201.3
    Came down seriously with Influenza B on Wednesday so the weight loss is not the MR but rather the BRAT flu diet. I have been sicker than a dog. First day I even feel like being vertical. Doc tells me the first week is the worst but coughing and tired could last 3 weeks. Plenty sick but my son was sicker cause he didn't get the flu shot and I did.
  • MapDancer
    Options
    Sorry to hear you're so sick. Impressed that you still managed to weigh yourself! Give yourself plenty of time to recover. Some people push themselves to get back out to work and then it takes even longer to get back their strength.

Coincidentally on Wednesday I came down with the upper resp infection from my DH who said he wasn't contagious - ha! Congestion, coughing etc but temp never over 99.8 so I know it's not the flu. I'm skipping the treadmill and wallowing on the couch with the dogs binge watching kdramas and napping.
  • gaylebodine
    Options
    Take good care of yourself Pam. Yes, this is the sickest I've been in a long while. Oh, in self defense, my son missed his flu shot because he never made it to the student health center. I got mine because of Medicare/Kaiser. They take good care of me.