Exercise and Weight Loss Challenges

Options
gaylebodine
gaylebodine Posts: 1,678 Member
Hi Guys, now I'm thinking I should have just started a new topic rather than a whole group but here we are. I was going crazy trying to find my senior friends (you) in the senior group we met each other in. Maybe there is a trick but hate the page scrolling to find the most current post. Anyway, wanted to talk to all of you about my goals and your goals for each month and for longer challenges. Examples would be: exercise three times a week in september, lose 20 pounds by January 1. I'm thinking that we can each choose a personal challenge. I know that SMART goals work best: Specific, Measurable, Attainable, Realistic, Time-limited. So state your goals with that in mind. Anyone in the group can invite other friends. Anyone in the group can change anything about the group (let's talk). :drinker: Let's GO!

Replies

• pattyebricker
    pattyebricker Posts: 149 Member
    Options
    Hello, I'm Pattye, turning 66 in a few days and want to lose a total of 68lbs. I weigh 212.8 as of this morning. I set my first goal for 199 lbs. I just got back from vacation and am ready to seriously get started (again, lol). I am going to start back to Curves beginning Monday and go 3 times per week. I am changing up my diet to be a little more protein heavy and a little less carbs, more fiber and a little more fat. I don't get much exercise, so I am going to keep my calories between 1200 and 1400 daily. Losing 20 lbs by January 1st sounds good to me. Hope we can all encourage each other, because I think seniors have different challenges than our younger friends. Thanks Gayle for starting this group.
  • gaylebodine
    Options
    Hi Pattye, So glad you are here! I absolutely agree, senior weight loss (postmenopausal, slower metabolism, sore joints, medication effects, etc.) is different. But we are lucky because it's easier to be motivated by the reality of improved health and longer life correlated with a healthier weight. We have about the same to lose. I want to end up between 165 and 155 and started at 218.8. I am so grateful to have lost 11.8 pounds so far. I have been avoiding exercise, saying I would wait until I'd hit "Onederland" (in the 100's) but I'm going to start with structured movement next week. I've discovered that the local senior center at the rec center offers senior yoga and that's a good start for me. I want to add senior weights and water walking soon. Looking forward to this big breakthrough. Hmmm, are we doing 20 pounds from current weigh or 20 pounds from weight today? I think I want to go from today's weight. 207.00 today, lose 20 pounds by January 1: goal weight by 1/1/15 is 187.8. More would be OK too. We will both be in Onederland by the new year!! So yes, 20 pounds from today's weight by January 1; senior yoga 2 X next week.
  • dasher602014
    dasher602014 Posts: 1,992 Member
    Options
    Hi, I am Marney and 20 lbs by January sounds good to me. I need to break it down further though. I am going to state that I will log my food choices every day until then and do 20 minutes of exercise 4 days a week. I am hopeful that those two steps will get me there. I am 60 years old, and new to this site but not new to trying to take off the pounds. My last job was a senior fitness instructor at a senior centre and it is embarrassing to not walk the talk! It is more difficult to get weight under control the older I get but the benefits are huge. The cost of keeping the weight are climbing too so I am determined to achieve this challenge. Thanks for setting it up.
  • merrygrannie
    merrygrannie Posts: 220 Member
    Options
    Hello everyone.I'm so glad we have this challenge.I now weigh 171.5 and 20 lbs. would get me close to my goal of 140.I started out on my weight loss journey at 239 so I was really excited when I hit "onederland".So far i've lost over 65 lbs.I weighed 217when I started using MFP.I'm using todays weight ,171.5,as my starting point.Also going to exercise at least 4 times a week.At the age of 67 i'm the healthiest i've been for a long time.The challenge is on!!!
    Mary
  • gaylebodine
    Options
    Hi, I am Marney and 20 lbs by January sounds good to me. I need to break it down further though. I am going to state that I will log my food choices every day until then and do 20 minutes of exercise 4 days a week. I am hopeful that those two steps will get me there. I am 60 years old, and new to this site but not new to trying to take off the pounds. My last job was a senior fitness instructor at a senior centre and it is embarrassing to not walk the talk! It is more difficult to get weight under control the older I get but the benefits are huge. The cost of keeping the weight are climbing too so I am determined to achieve this challenge. Thanks for setting it up.

Welcome Marney! Logging every day makes a big difference. May call on you for advice...I'm just going to go and do some "senior" exercise at the local rec center next week for the first time. Found a senior yoga class which is definitely where I need to start. Ditto to your statement about harder but more benefits of weight loss as a senior. I used to walk an hour a day but that was many years and 70 pounds ago. Hope to make a large step towards a healthier body by January 1.
  • gaylebodine
    Options
    Hello everyone.I'm so glad we have this challenge.I now weigh 171.5 and 20 lbs. would get me close to my goal of 140.I started out on my weight loss journey at 239 so I was really excited when I hit "onederland".So far i've lost over 65 lbs.I weighed 217when I started using MFP.I'm using todays weight ,171.5,as my starting point.Also going to exercise at least 4 times a week.At the age of 67 i'm the healthiest i've been for a long time.The challenge is on!!!
    Mary

Welcome Mary! Wow, you have traveled a long way on this weight loss path! I started in July, this year, at 218.8 and have lost 11.8 pounds so far. Oh, do tell me so tales of the dreamed of onederland. I'm 63 and so glad to hear about your healthiness at 67. Inspiring!
  • gaylebodine
    Options
    Hey everyone, be sure that you have friended everyone and set your profile to viewable by friends so we can look at each other's food diary and exercise reports. If this is not comfortable to you we will support you in other ways. Looking at food each other's food and exercise logs will help us all stay accountable to each other. Let's also have a rule to encourage, not criticize, and keep the focus in the group on where we are with our goals including both challenges and successes.
    Here is what I have so far:

Mary is at 171.5 pounds and is committed to losing 20 pounds by Jan.1, exercising 4 X a week and going to Curves 3 X a week.
    Marney is committed to losing 20 pounds by January 1, is going to complete her food log every day and exercise 4 X a week.
    Pattye is at 212.8 pounds and is committed to losing 20 pounds by Jan. 1; upping fiber and protein, reducing carbs and fat
    Gayle is at 207 pounds and is committed to losing 20 pounds by Jan. 1, and starting senior yoga next week 2 X a week.
  • pattyebricker
    Options
    Good morning everyone. I opened my diary to my friends only so I will be sending friend request to each of you. I feel excited about our group and yesterday it did make me more conscious of my eating, knowing that I need to lose 20lbs by January 1st(thanks again Gayle). I hope that one day I will get to a place where I don't have to be constantly obsessing about food, but I have been dieting for so long I don't know if that is possible. Logging food on MFP may just become a way of life, to make me constantly aware of my food intake. Any way I do think it works, it's just finding that "sweet spot" for your calorie intake. My birthday is coming up next week and I am a little afraid of losing control of myself, but I am already making plans on how to avoid a fall into the pit of endless food. I have got to get control over myself for my health, and there always seems to be a birthday or holiday to allow me to eat unhealthy foods with no moderation. I want to get off as many medications as I can and feel healthy. I want to wear nice fitting clothes. I love to shop, but don't go anymore because it's to hard to find clothes at my size (nothing looks good anyway). I just keep thinking how good I am going to feel. To tie my shoes without a struggle. To walk my little dog without getting out of breath. To not be ashamed to see old friends. I could go on and on. I hope each of you has a wonderful day and stay positive, stay in control.
  • merrygrannie
    Options
    Gayle- I didn't commit myself to going to curves.lol .I wish there was one around here but there isn't.I did go walking for 70 mins this morning..
    In onederland I can cross my legs and bend over and tie my shoes.I have so much more confidence and energy.People are complimenting me.I pass by racks of clothes that use to be my size and now go to smaller sizes.I love onederland and you will too.
    Patty -remember this isn't dieting,it's eating healthier.It's taking control of what we put in our bodies.We are stronger than our worse habit.Your birthday is a day of celebration but you need to feel good about yourself afterwards.If we want all the thigs losing weight will give us we need to find the way to make it happen.Make the right choices.You'll think yourself later.

Everyone have a good day.Remember,drink half your body weight in water,track your food and exercise.
    Mary
  • gaylebodine
    Options
    Hey everyone, be sure that you have friended everyone and set your profile to viewable by friends so we can look at each other's food diary and exercise reports. If this is not comfortable to you we will support you in other ways. Looking at food each other's food and exercise logs will help us all stay accountable to each other. Let's also have a rule to encourage, not criticize, and keep the focus in the group on where we are with our goals including both challenges and successes.
    Here is what I have so far:

Mary is at 171.5 pounds and is committed to losing 20 pounds by Jan.1, exercising 4 X a week and going to Curves 3 X a week.
    Marney is committed to losing 20 pounds by January 1, is going to complete her food log every day and exercise 4 X a week.
    Pattye is at 212.8 pounds and is committed to losing 20 pounds by Jan. 1; upping fiber and protein, reducing carbs and fat
    Gayle is at 207 pounds and is committed to losing 20 pounds by Jan. 1, and starting senior yoga next week 2 X a week.

Correction: Mary does not have a local Curves so should have stated: exercise 4 X week.
  • gaylebodine
    Options
    Gayle- I didn't commit myself to going to curves.lol .I wish there was one around here but there isn't.I did go walking for 70 mins this morning..
    In onederland I can cross my legs and bend over and tie my shoes.I have so much more confidence and energy.People are complimenting me.I pass by racks of clothes that use to be my size and now go to smaller sizes.I love onederland and you will too.
    Patty -remember this isn't dieting,it's eating healthier.It's taking control of what we put in our bodies.We are stronger than our worse habit.Your birthday is a day of celebration but you need to feel good about yourself afterwards.If we want all the thigs losing weight will give us we need to find the way to make it happen.Make the right choices.You'll think yourself later.

Everyone have a good day.Remember,drink half your body weight in water,track your food and exercise.
    Mary

"We are stronger than our worst habit" Yes! Love That!
  • gaylebodine
    Options
    "The Rules"
    OK guys, I think we have it set. 20 pounds by January for everyone, weekly exercise as well and logging calories each day. I'm calling Friday the first day of our week, since everyone has reported their starting weight (except Marney, that's OK, your choice) and your goals. Let's weigh in (despite ups and in celebration of downs) each Friday, starting September 5th, and report how you did in regard to your goals. You can add in additional goals and personal challenges as well. Think it would be great if you started by quoting your statement from the previous week so each of us can see the difference.

"As if" Example:
    Gayle, August 29th: 207: logged calories 7 days, drank water, committed to yoga 2 X week starting next week.

Gayle, September 5th: 206.6, logged calories 7 days, drank water, did yoga 2 X this week. Will add two more days of activity next week.
  • dasher602014
    Options
    Hi all,

Happy to help with any exercise advice I can. You have probably heard it all before but as seniors we have to pay attention to the advice of 'start slowly, increase only by 10% when you feel you can and only increase after a week or two, if it hurts stop doing it, if it feels wrong, don't try it and ask your doctor'. I have lots of experience with people who can only exercise sitting down too.

For me, I am starting this challenge at 172 lbs after losing 25 on my own. At 5' 2", I just couldn't go over 200 so that was the tipping point. I need help getting going again since it has been stalled for some months.

You all sound so positive and inspiring. We are going to have a great time together. Your weigh loss journeys so far are awesome.

Since I am new to this site I may need some help getting friends set up. I am going to explore that now and then go for my walk.

Happy exercising!
  • gaylebodine
    Options
    Hi all,

Happy to help with any exercise advice I can. You have probably heard it all before but as seniors we have to pay attention to the advice of 'start slowly, increase only by 10% when you feel you can and only increase after a week or two, if it hurts stop doing it, if it feels wrong, don't try it and ask your doctor'. I have lots of experience with people who can only exercise sitting down too.

For me, I am starting this challenge at 172 lbs after losing 25 on my own. At 5' 2", I just couldn't go over 200 so that was the tipping point. I need help getting going again since it has been stalled for some months.

You all sound so positive and inspiring. We are going to have a great time together. Your weigh loss journeys so far are awesome.

Since I am new to this site I may need some help getting friends set up. I am going to explore that now and then go for my walk.

Happy exercising!

I really appreciate the advice, this is my first time being a senior and starting exercise. I the past I hiked the Grand Canyon three times, walked daily (in fact walked everywhere), did a little swimming, a few exercise machines. But now it is a whole new thing. My knees hurt (I have two sets of stairs in my condo and take each one step at a time, you know, one foot up, two feet up, next step). I'm stiff and of course out of shape. I'm psyched that there is such a thing as senior yoga, and senior weights, and water walking. I will start slow. I feel like as the weight comes off it will be less problematic to do exercise. Anyway, glad that we are encouraging each other.
  • gaylebodine
    Options
    Good morning everyone. I opened my diary to my friends only so I will be sending friend request to each of you. I feel excited about our group and yesterday it did make me more conscious of my eating, knowing that I need to lose 20lbs by January 1st(thanks again Gayle). I hope that one day I will get to a place where I don't have to be constantly obsessing about food, but I have been dieting for so long I don't know if that is possible. Logging food on MFP may just become a way of life, to make me constantly aware of my food intake. Any way I do think it works, it's just finding that "sweet spot" for your calorie intake. My birthday is coming up next week and I am a little afraid of losing control of myself, but I am already making plans on how to avoid a fall into the pit of endless food. I have got to get control over myself for my health, and there always seems to be a birthday or holiday to allow me to eat unhealthy foods with no moderation. I want to get off as many medications as I can and feel healthy. I want to wear nice fitting clothes. I love to shop, but don't go anymore because it's to hard to find clothes at my size (nothing looks good anyway). I just keep thinking how good I am going to feel. To tie my shoes without a struggle. To walk my little dog without getting out of breath. To not be ashamed to see old friends. I could go on and on. I hope each of you has a wonderful day and stay positive, stay in control.

There is a good discussion out there called "What will you gain when you lose". It helped me to really list what it is that I want to "gain" when I get the extra pounds off. Let's all share our list of those gains for each of us. Also, I have a friend on mfp who has lost some 47 pounds. I was just telling her that I am looking forward to having my obsession with food and dieting lighten up a bit as it becomes a way of life make good choices and chose health first, like she demonstrates most days. One more thing. I adore carrot cake. It was just my birthday (July 7th, the day I decided to get healthy again). I let myself have one piece of carrot cake and recorded the calories. It's not about never eating the foods you love (for me). It's about planning ahead and working around the "cheat" in terms of calories and/or eating what you love in a lighter version. I love pasta. Now I'm eating tons of spaghetti squash with my favorite pasta sauce. Anyway, have dieted lots but am not expert. Anyone with other/better advice please chime in. BTW: had 1/2 a mounds bar for a snack today and ate a Panera oatmeal raisin cookie for lunch one day this week. Again it is about eating mostly healthy, mostly higher protein, higher fiber, lower fat, lower carb. It balances out, I think.
  • gaylebodine
    Options
    My "what will I gain when I lose" list is: feeling healthier/younger. Being able to travel to the places on by bucket list. For example, painting in Monet's Garden in France. Feeling more confident in myself, looking more professional at work, having more energy and not always needing a nap. Living longer. I have a 17 year old son and would like to see his children!
  • dasher602014
    Options
    Thanks for the status boasts from everyone. The walk today was hard going. And I had a blow out pork roast dinner. My Hubble is a great cook. But one meal doesn't define my diet. Tomorrow is another day.

Exercise is difficult when everything hurts. Stairs are hard because they involve strength, aerobic training, balance and endurance all at once. The idea of water training is great aerobic training and easy on the joints. Squats are the easiest to build leg strength but we have to do them the senior's way. Sit on a hard chair, slide forward and stand up. Sit down and do it again building up the reps. It makes a big difference. If you need it easier, I have more but I will stop. Can't you tell, I have been missing teaching my classes!

Working towards the Friday reporting! Again, thanks for this challenge, all of you!
  • pattyebricker
    Options
    Good Sunday morning everyone. What will I gain when I lose is a great thing to keep in mind, thanks Gayle for reminding me of this. I am going to feel like getting out of my chair and making new friends. I will feel good about seeing old friends. I will want to go places and not get tired in the middle of a trip. I will look nice in my clothes. I will not be taking a hand full of medicine 2x a day. I will want to get involved in groups and quit hiding in my house.
    Dasher--thanks for the exercise ideas-my legs are weak.
    I'm having a little trouble with my diet and upping my proteins and lowering my carbs. I realize now that carbs are my favorite thing to eat., but I think having carbs high in nutrients is the key. I also agree with you Gayle about not cutting the things I love (candy, cookies, cake) from my diet , but making them fit into my calorie/nutrient goals. I am also going to cut out most processed food and start drinking only water, except when I go out to eat. I think this is a good diet plan for me, I am open to changing and adjusting it as I go along. I am going to start Curves Wednesday, but right now I am more concerned with diet, then when I lose a few lbs, hopefully I will feel more like exercising. I love the idea of water exercise, but I am really concerned about public pools. Does this bother any of you? I know chlorine and all, but still humans are humans and older people have bladder control problems, lol. Have a great day and keep in mind "what you will gain, when you lose".

ETA: I could never give up my morning coffee!
  • pattyebricker
    Options
    Happy Labor Day to all of you. Well, I decided when I joined this group that I was going to be perfectly honest with you and more importantly myself. I went off the deep end last night, but today is a new day. I am going to concentrate on this day. Today I WILL plan my diet menu early, because no plan is a plan to fail. It's a holiday, so the challenge will be somewhat big, but not bigger than my plan. Hope you all have a great holiday and I wish health to each of you.
  • merrygrannie
    Options
    Happy Labor Day to all of you. Well, I decided when I joined this group that I was going to be perfectly honest with you and more importantly myself. I went off the deep end last night, but today is a new day. I am going to concentrate on this day. Today I WILL plan my diet menu early, because no plan is a plan to fail. It's a holiday, so the challenge will be somewhat big, but not bigger than my plan. Hope you all have a great holiday and I wish health to each of you.

Happy Labor Day Patty.I've jumped off the deep end plenty of times and the main thing is getting back on track.Being honest about it shows you are really trying and dedicated to this.All we can do is take one day at a time.Wishing you the best today.
    Mary