Exercise and Weight Loss Challenges

Options

Replies

• merrygrannie
    merrygrannie Posts: 220 Member
    Options
    Sept 5th weigh-in.Started at 171.5 now weigh 168.Happy,Happy,Happy!!
    Gayle-so glad you and your son are exercising together.It's always better to have a exercise partner.And the memories you're making,priceless.Good luck with the workshop,i hope you enjoy it.
    Dasher-thanks for the exercise tips.Definitely going to try them.
    Patty-Happy birthday! I'm not sure of the exact date but I hope it was or will be enjoyable.We all have so much to be thankful for and if we take each day and recognize it we would all realize how blessed we are.
    if you see your quotes showing up twice that's my fault.I'm trying to learn how to reply to them and sometimes I just plain mess it up.Sorry.I would say it won't happen again but I would be lying. lol
    I hope to see some good results on this weigh- in day.If there's not then we need to help each other more.We're in this together!!
    Mary
  • dasher602014
    dasher602014 Posts: 1,992 Member
    Options
    Totally! I am literally right behind you. I am a down a lb this week at 171 Race you! :flowerforyou:
  • pattyebricker
    pattyebricker Posts: 149 Member
    Options
    It is reporting day and though I went in the opposite direction from weight lose, (because of my recent binge) I am reporting in the hope that it will make me accountable for my actions. It is what it is.
    Aug 29-212 lbs
    Sept 5-214lbs, small walks, chair squats (thanks Dasher) , logged for 7 days, drank water every day. Water drinking is a real accomplishment for me (thanks Mary). I am beginning to like it lol.

Today is my day, 66 years of life. I can't believe it, but am grateful for each day of it. This morning I have been having thoughts about rewards for goals that I meet in weight loss. Do any of you think rewarding yourself for weight loss is a good idea. I'm at a stage in my life where if I want something I can get it, but I still want to reward myself (it is my birthday after all and I'm wanting gifts).. When I lose 10lbs I am going to get a new pair of PJ's, 20 lbs a new exercise shirt, 30lbs a new hair style, haven't thought beyond that. Would love to hear your rewards if you have thoughts on it. Do you have small weight loss goals or just the ultimate goal?

Gayle-thanks for the birthday wishes. I am interested to know about your yoga class. Have you been ? I think they have one for seniors at the community center here and I want to check it out, but if you have to get on the floor, that would be out for me, right now. Walking with your son sounds so special. I'm happy he goes with you, it makes it not just exercise but bonding time. Those walks are great for staying in touch with each other's lives. Have fun at your workshop.

Mary-thanks for the birthday wishes. So very happy about your weight loss. You are really on it. 3.5 lbs in 1 week is something' to be proud of. I am encouraged and know that it is possible for me to reach my ultimate goal. Are you close to you goal weight? I am 5'5 and I was happy the last time I was 168 but would love to be 140/145.

Dasher-Congradulaions on you loss. Are you teaching your exercise class now? Encouraging to hear about the 81 year old woman. Is it possible to go from completely out of shape to being able to exercise like she does and build muscle. I think I am ready, but need to build muscle strength.

I don't want you to think that I am not trying to lose weight. I really started my dieting change and desire to lose weight at the beginning of this year at 230lbs, so I have lost some weight along the way. I had gotten side tracked recently and that is why I am grateful for this challenge. I am hoping to read success reports from all of you today, but if not, like Mary said, we are in this together .

Health and happiness to all
  • gaylebodine
    gaylebodine Posts: 1,678 Member
    Options
    Hey everyone, be sure that you have friended everyone and set your profile to viewable by friends so we can look at each other's food diary and exercise reports. If this is not comfortable to you we will support you in other ways. Looking at food each other's food and exercise logs will help us all stay accountable to each other. Let's also have a rule to encourage, not criticize, and keep the focus in the group on where we are with our goals including both challenges and successes.
    Here is what I have so far:

Mary is at 171.5 pounds and is committed to losing 20 pounds by Jan.1, exercising 4 X a week
    Marney is committed to losing 20 pounds by January 1, is going to complete her food log every day and exercise 4 X a week.
    Pattye is at 212.8 pounds and is committed to losing 20 pounds by Jan. 1; upping fiber and protein, reducing carbs and fat
    Gayle is at 207 pounds and is committed to losing 20 pounds by Jan. 1, and starting senior yoga next week 2 X a week.

Congratulations to everyone for staying on the path and making your first weekly report! There will be ups and downs but that is all part of the weight loss journey. The real challenge is to stay with it and let time do it's magic.

Here's my report:
    August 29th 207
    September 5th 205.6
    I never made it to senior yoga but walk twice with my son this week! I'm excited for him and myself!
    Next week I will continue to walk most mornings and buy a step counter.

So excited that everyone is here and reporting! That is the BIG success for us all!
  • pattyebricker
    Options
    I have been hearing a lot lately about seniors using supplement in their diet. The reports say that body builders and seniors
    ( image us being group with body builders) need more protein than the average person. I have noticed lately that my protein micros are not nearly met on my diary. I know that it is not completely correct, but I am considerbly short every day. I take fish oil and occasionally fiber supplements as recommended by my Doctor every day. I will talk to her about protein when I see her next. I have heard that the majority of seniors fall (and it is high) due to bones breaking BEFORE the fall. I had a bone density test done recently and they said that it was in range for my age (whatever that means). I am a big advocate of getting your nutrients through you diet, but I am not opposed to supplements if it aids in opitmun health. I don't want to take a bunch of stuff I don't need, but will take something if it really is beneficial. My husband was a Doctor and he believed in supplementation, but there are a lot of Doctors that don't, saying it is a waste of money. Would love to hear you thoughts on this.

Gayle- hope you are enjoying your workshop.

So happy for all of you in your weigth loss this past week. Way to go!!!!!! I feel so encouraged by all of you. Thanks for the support.

My birthday was a lot of fun and I wasn't toooooooooo bad.

Like Dasher said "the race is on"

Health and happiness to all.
  • dasher602014
    Options
    Glad you had a good birthday, patty. It was good to see we all had a good week. Guest this weekend so a challenge for me.

Supplements this is just my opinion.

The Canada food guide now includes vitamin D especially for seniors. Vitamin D supports the absorption of calcium really important for seniors. It also has been linked to better immune function and low levels of it have been linked to Alzheimer's disease. Enough to convince me especially when I am inside a lot of the year and slathered in sunscreen when out.

Calcium does not seem to absorb much in supplements. I am lactose intolerant so calcium is hard for me. But yoghurt is a staple and I am eating a lot of greens even kale. This is one I have to watch because I don't get enough in my diet but I am not convinced supplements help..

Fish oil is another one with year's of study. Anyone remember cod liver oil as kids? So I add this one. They say eat fish 3 times a week and I don't so another reason to add this one.

My husband's doctor remarked that a general vitamin is cheap insurance. Got a point but I have to admit I don't take 'rm.

Falls in seniors are so serious and yes, brittle bones can cause them. But I don't have that problem so I work on strong muscles and balance so the fall for reasons that are more easily controlled don't happen.

I hadn't heard that one about protein and seniors although senior's who live alone are often iron deficient but I thought it was because they stop cooking and eating properly. Maybe not enough iron rich protein. I also heard that the effort for an 85 year old to stand is the same as a weight lifter. This was explained because of muscle loss.

Good topic. Anybody else take supplements and why?
  • merrygrannie
    Options
    Patty,right now I have my goal set at 140.I'm only 5'2" so I may need to change that.This is a new week ,let's make it count!
    Mary
  • gaylebodine
    Options
    Hi Guys,
    My workshop is fabulous! Great group of 14 participants and I really like this teacher. It is going by so fast! Feel good about ending up at a healthy place to eat last night (whole foods) and tonight a whole foods restaurant called Cafe Sol. Did not have a lunch served today as expected, was a nosh as you go set up so ate 1/2 a bran muffin (not so bad) but had had one in the hotel that morning as well. Just not the same without having my own kitchen and better choices (that sounds like a good excuse). Tomorrow getting a slim fast shake or some high protein shake and will bring a light lunch. Know I am eating too much salt but it will all even out next week. It is so beautiful in Grand Junction! Thinking of you and glad you are doing so well!

Supplements: I take a senior multi and sometimes kelp and extra D. I usually eat a banana a day for potassium. I know it is really important for me to keep my protein high, sugar low, especially for breakfast. Scale on Monday.
  • pattyebricker
    Options
    Good Sunday morning to all of you.
    Gayle---so glad you are enjoying your workshop. Is it an art workshop? From your diary it looks like you are doing really good for being away from home and you are getting in exercise too. Job well done.
    Dasher---I had forgot about the vitamin D. I take a prescription strength, prescribed by my Doctor. I take it once a week. My blood test revealed low D. Like you I am in the house most of the time.
    At one time Doctors thought vitamin C was the cats meow, but now know it's not, although some Doctors believe vitamin C in very high doses can starve off some types of cancer.
    My husband was a real advocate of chelation therapy although he did not prescribe it for his patients. He used the therapy himself, but I never was a believer so did not.
    I don't take a multiple. Took one for 1000000 years, stopped taking it about 2 years ago and haven't noticed any difference. I may rethink it and add one.
    In my opinion you can do harm by over taking some vitamins and believe me I have a pretty good appetite (don't think I'm missing much, lol). It can be a real waste of money as it is an unregulated business.
    I do think I am going start eating an apple every day (to keep the a Doctor away) and like Gayle a banana.
    Mary---you are right, new week, let all of us make the best of it. 20lbs by Jan 1. Let's do it. The race is on!
    Health and happiness to all.
  • dasher602014
    Options
    Hi all

Eating away from home is so difficult. Well done. That is one of my biggest challenges. Well done.

I am off to go golfing with my guests so exercise is taken care of today. Going to have lunch before we go which is so much easier.

To protect knees when doing squats make sure that your knees do no bend in front of your toes (if you dropped a plumb bob down from your knees, your toes should be behind the string). We do this naturally when we do a sit to stand but something you should know if you start doing squats in a gym. Tummies? Grab a small hard beach ball. The marbled looking ones in the dollar stores. Sit in your hard chair put the ball on your knee, pull in your tum, press down with your hand and press up to resist with your leg. The leg shouldn't move, just resist. And don't hold your breath. Use the opposite hand for your obliques.

Have a great day!
  • gaylebodine
    Options
    Dasher thanks for the squat details (I was leaning way forward to get up) and the tum exercise. Dollar Store here I come. Really tired today and feel like I have allergies. Probably all the driving and change in altitude or something such. Or back to cat fur. Yes, it was an art workshop called Paper Painting Collage. The artist is Elizabeth St. Hilarie Nelson http://www.nelsoncreative.com/gallery/ I'm a painter but love collage. Elizabeth paints paper then rips it into shapes to make whimsical collages.

I am up about 1/2 a pound after the trip and lost my 61 day streak because logged in too late last night. A mfp member said she used it, when this happened to her, as an opportunity to recommit with a day one mentality. That's what I'm doing! My goal is to back to the weight I was at before the trip (or better) by Friday.

Vitamins: know that both C and the B's are water soluble (need to be replaced with either supplements or nutrition) and when under stress (seems like that is my MO) need to supplement. I find I think more clearly and have fewer memory blips when I supplement with a B-complex. I've really noticed a difference for myself. I take the kelp because I want to make sure that I have enough iodine in my diet. I think it is important to take a good quality supplement. One a day, for example is better than nothing but a health food store brand is better because of potency and less manufactured sources. Except I found my health food store brand several dollars cheaper at Walmart, lol.
  • dasher602014
    Options
    Hi all

Eating away from home is so difficult. Well done. That is one of my biggest challenges. Well done.

I am off to go golfing with my guests so exercise is taken care of today. Going to have lunch before we go which is so much easier.

To protect knees when doing squats make sure that your knees do no bend in front of your toes (if you dropped a plumb bob down from your knees, your toes should be behind the string). We do this naturally when we do a sit to stand but something you should know if you start doing squats in a gym. Tummies? Grab a small hard beach ball. The marbled looking ones in the dollar stores. Sit in your hard chair put the ball on your knee, pull in your tum, press down with your hand and press up to resist with your leg. The leg shouldn't move, just resist. And don't hold your breath. Use the opposite hand for your obliques.

Have a great day!oo

Correction!!!! When you drop your imaginary plumb line from your knees, your toes should be IN FRONT of your knees. I said it right the first tome but not the second. Slide forward on the chair and repositioning your feet usually stops the overly forward lean.

My guests have left and maybe I can get to sleep tonight.
  • gaylebodine
    Options
    Glad you will be getting some sleep Dasher! Great when friends visit, great to have life get back to "normal" as well.

Today I'm feeling back on track, eating at home sure does help the diet. Still a little tired from all that fun and driving but getting back into the groove. Have not walked this week but plan to tomorrow. My goal this week is walking twice and getting to 205 or better.

How is everyone doing with weekly personal goals?
  • merrygrannie
    Options
    Glad you will be getting some sleep Dasher! Great when friends visit, great to have life get back to "normal" as well.

Today I'm feeling back on track, eating at home sure does help the diet. Still a little tired from all that fun and driving but getting back into the groove. Have not walked this week but plan to tomorrow. My goal this week is walking twice and getting to 205 or better.

Gayle,yesterday was not a good day but todays a new one and I plan to make it a good one.I have been working on getting our yard sale ready at our parish hall,and believe me,we have a lot of stuff to go through.We had a lot of things donated.It's going to be a 3 day event and i've already worked at it 3 days getting it organized.We hope to get finished today.The sale isn't until next week but we'll be ready.By the time we get through I'm too tired to exercise.I'm determined i'm going to work it in today though.I hope you have a good,successful day.
    Mary
  • gaylebodine
    Options

Gayle,yesterday was not a good day but todays a new one and I plan to make it a good one.I have been working on getting our yard sale ready at our parish hall,and believe me,we have a lot of stuff to go through.We had a lot of things donated.It's going to be a 3 day event and i've already worked at it 3 days getting it organized.We hope to get finished today.The sale isn't until next week but we'll be ready.By the time we get through I'm too tired to exercise.I'm determined i'm going to work it in today though.I hope you have a good,successful day.
    Mary

Hi Mary and All! I have been forgetting to count routine (and not so routine) activity like organizing as exercise. I'm sure you can record this as "cleaning" since you are standing, bending, lifting, etc. I have not figured out how to record "teaching" yet (standing in the classroom, walking in the halls). I really need to get a step counter but need to wait for payday.

I really like the one day at a time approach.
  • gaylebodine
    Options
    Morning all! Check in with weight (if you choose to) and goals report. This group has been so good for me! Many thanks!
  • merrygrannie
    Options
    Morning all! Check in with weight (if you choose to) and goals report. This group has been so good for me! Many thanks!
    good morning,getting ready to post my weight.i hope everyone had a good week.
  • merrygrannie
    Options
    Started this challenge at 171.5
    Sept 5th-168. 3.5lb loss
    Sept 12th-167. 1 lb loss
  • dasher602014
    Options
    I lost this week. Down 1.5 to 169.5! But best of all my bp is well down to 130/78 and I am feeling so much better. You guys have been so encouraging and just logging on each day has helped so much. Thanks! Oh, and 'the bloat' is gone too. Two people have commented that I am looking good. They thought it was hair. Tee, hee.
  • dasher602014
    Options
    Started this challenge at 171.5
    Sept 5th-168. 3.5lb loss
    Sept 12th-167. 1 lb loss

Good work! A nice steady loss. Be proud. I am of all of us.