Exercise and Weight Loss Challenges

Options

Replies

• grandmothercharlie
    grandmothercharlie Posts: 1,361 Member
    Options
    You don't need to find me. I'm here. I just have been busy and sick. But, I still have peeked to my newsfeed every day. I have not been a good girl and haven't been logging. Was too sick to exercise. We have a virus going around here that lasts 3 weeks. I went to work and would go home and sleep. If I had days off over the holidays, all I did was sleep. 17-18 hours a day and then the rest would be in bed. Everyone has had it.

I just finished my two-year MFP mark yesterday. I still have to get to my goal, but first I have to lose the 10 pounds I have gained over sickness, laziness, and the holidays. I am finally feeling better. The big, end of the year moves are now done. And one of two new hires have started so I'm hoping to get back on track.

Mary, I'm as embarassed as you, but let's face it, we are in a "safe" place here. No judgements.

Pam, I miss Oh My Venus! Best engagement/proposal scene in the history of movies! How are you likeing That's Okay, It's Love. It is definitely different -- has some depth. I like Gong Hyo Jin as she was in Pasta, my intro to K-drama. So, with my ongoing love of So Ji-Sub and liking Gong Hyo Jin, I'm watching The Master's Sun. (Definitely a Sixth Sense vibe). Very different, but had gotten 5 stars consistently. It's okay, but Ji-Sub plays sort of a jerk. I will watch the Splish, Splash Love episodes this weekend. I'm crocheting for a friend so I need something to do while I crochet.

Marney, if you were okay with the short Splish, Splash Love, I really think that Oh, My Venus on Dramafever or Viki would be to your liking. I think the quality is better on Dramafever. You can also search it on Hulu and it will take you to it. Netflix may have it too on their instant videos. I agree with Pam that the fitness message is great. However, be aware that like most foreign countries obesity is not well accepted in Korea and mean and rude remarks and bullying are par for the course. Part of enjoying Korean or any foreign films and tv is being able to understand the cultural differences.

I don't live in a ranch, but I am in a 4-level split. So I have a few steps between floors. I live mostly on just two of the 4 levels. I only go to the basement for laundry and only to top floor to occasionally dust. My office is in the basement where I am now. Last year my New Year's resolution was to always use the stairs to the main level or anytime I only had one floor. I only didn't 3 times the whole year! In our buildings, 1 story is equivalent to about two home stories.

My goal right now this challenge will be to get back to my low! :#
  • gmabethof3
    gmabethof3 Posts: 267 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    Mary, they seemed to have made a lot of changes. Half of us can not even view a diary, I can on my phone, but not my computer, others are having trouble with their post showing up twice when they only put it in once, and there are other problems. I am not sure how we can let them know.. I am just hoping that they straighten things out soon. MFP is becoming frustrating to a lot of people. :s
  • grandmothercharlie
    Options
    They are working on the problems, Mary. I agree, it is aggregating. You can see diaries on phone and tablet apps. On the computer, if you want to see a friend's diary, click on their name. A pop-up will ask if you want to send them a message. Click on their name in the pop-up and it will take you to their profile. You can open their diary from there.
  • grandmothercharlie
    Options
    Pam, I had insomnia tonight so watch both episodes of Splish Splash love. I really enjoyed it!
  • gaylebodine
    gaylebodine Posts: 1,681 Member
    Options
    Hmmm, maybe uninstall mfp and reinstall? Charlie said she had to do that to try to get her functionality working.
  • dasher602014
    dasher602014 Posts: 1,992 Member
    Options
    Hi Gang,

Welcome back, Mary! We missed you!

Sorry to hear about all the illness. Hard to think about anything but getting well when the bugs hit. Glad to hear you are all on the mend.

My back is better but I don't understand how I can gain 2 lbs over 2 days of a visit with my sister in law. I splurged with porridge, a sweet potato, and a grilled cheese sandwich, over 2 days. A lb a day??? Really!!!! Hopefully, it will settle down again soon.

So:

Jan 1: 168.5
    Jan 8: 167.5 -1
    Jan17: 169 +1.5 (I guess not 2 lbs)

Off to see Star Wars this afternoon and off toToronto tomorrow to see the Turner exhibition at the Art Gallery. A varied activity program here. But hard to stay the course in eating while we are away in Toronto. Just have to get into the mindset that I may not have diabetes, but like Peter, there is really no time off for good behaviour, or at least not until I reach a weight that is more comfortable.

I will look up the drama you suggested, Charlie. I think it will be a good one to bicycle to.

Keep going gang. We are all losers here!

Cheers!
  • Cclill
    Cclill Posts: 191 Member
    Options
    Welcome back Mary! Gayle and Charlie have created a safe place here. I have detected no judgement even when i report consumption of entire box of chocolate covered cherries -twice!

Gayle, Hope you feel better soon!
  • Cclill
    Options
    Quick weekly report (still in post holiday recovery)
    Still plateaued at 11 lb loss.
    Last week 183.4 (i think)
    This week 183.4

• MapDancer
    MapDancer Posts: 246 Member
    Options
    After hovering at 132.2-ish (yellow flag) this past week I got back to 130.8 this morning. I increased my treadmill to 90 minutes for a few days and realized that I had gradually fallen into grazing in the afternoon and late night. I always have a bedtime snack at 11pm since it is 5-6 hrs since dinner and I'm hungry, but I was getting a bit carried away with it. I realize that a 5lb. range is perfectly normal and 130-135 would be fine, but I don't want to become complacent and slide back? or is it up?

I agree Charlie, that was the best proposal ever! I told DH good thing we've been married 21 years, long before we started watching kdramas (almost 2 years) or I'd expect something romantically dramatic. They set the bar high! I'm liking That's Okay, It's Love. I read that Kong Hyo Jin really broke her arm and they had to write it into the storyline. I'm just going to start the episode when they take the vacation (and her arm is in the cast). There are so many interesting dramas coming up and I'm trying to resist because it's hard waiting a week for the next two episodes...

Finally we're getting some winter weather - we're expecting 13"-20" of snow this Fri-Sat.
  • Cclill
    Options
    Confession time
    For some reason i broke one of my main rules last night
    and took a box of crackers to bed.
    My rule is i can take some crackers, never whole box.
    Sure enough i binged
    And this morning i had gained four pounds over night!
    I know its water weight that will go as soon as i get back on the program
    but the number help shock me back on the program
  • dasher602014
    Options
    Cclill wrote: »
    Confession time
    For some reason i broke one of my main rules last night
    and took a box of crackers to bed.
    My rule is i can take some crackers, never whole box.
    Sure enough i binged
    And this morning i had gained four pounds over night!
    I know its water weight that will go as soon as i get back on the program
    but the number help shock me back on the program

I know, I know. Sometimes we need the shock to get back to plan.
  • gmabethof3
    gmabethof3 Posts: 267 Member
    Options
    January 1, 2016 Challenge

January 1 - 178.0
    January 8 - 177.6 = -.4
    January 15 - 177.2 = -.8
    January 22 - 176.6 = 1.4

YEA! I'm getting there, baby steps are good!!!
  • dasher602014
    Options
    gmabethof3 wrote: »
    January 1, 2016 Challenge

January 1 - 178.0
    January 8 - 177.6 = -.4
    January 15 - 177.2 = -.8
    January 22 - 176.6 = 1.4

YEA! I'm getting there, baby steps are good!!!

Hey, good week of weight loss. And I gather a tough week for both of you. I hope all is more stable and will get better over time.
  • dasher602014
    Options
    Jan 1: 168.5
    Jan 8: 167.5 -1
    Jan17: 169 +1.5
    Jan 22: 166 -3

Bouncing around as usual but the right direction this week!

Keep warm and safe all you snowbound weekenders!

• grandmothercharlie
    edited January 2016
    Options
    January 16: 151.5
    January 22: 151
    Goal: 141.5

Lill: I got a box of Special K Pastry Crisps for end of day (some days) if I have calories extra, but I can eat a whole box easily. This time I decided to leave the box in the car and only take a pack in if I know I have the deficit to eat the 100 calories. If they are in the car trunk, I'm not tempted to go outside in the winter weather in my sleepshirt for more! For some reason they don't tempt me during the day. Isn't it funny how we have to trick ourselves! :D

I do seem to be back on track. It is tough. Logging meals and going to gym everyday was second nature. Now I have to make myself again. But I've been good all week and starting to feel like I NEED to get to the gym to feel good.

Pam, when you were losing, did you ever come upon a time when you just gave it a break? Seems like many people do and no one with good outcomes. Glad I only gained 10 pounds before I slapped myself. Any hints to avoid it?

I will say that I still am not back on the newsfeed as much. Commenting, etc. I try to support my friends, but, to be honest, how many ways can you say, "Good job?" Of my friends, probably 8 log their diaries and exercise consistently everyday. That is 16 posts a day. Plus any who do it occasionally. Times that by 365 a year and I've been doing this over two years, I have said, "good job" or "don't worry" one way or another well over 11,000 times! And when I post on diaries, I look at them. I don't just say, "good job" without actually looking. Then my Groups take some time. I am now only posting here really. I belong to another two. One is for cardiac problems and not active at all and the other is an 60+ that I just can't keep up with and have decided to just pop-in occasionally.

I have had some lower back pain. Hadn't been doing my stretch machine. Yet, when I would stretch the lower back, it didn't hurt. When I stretch my hamstrings, my back hurts. I then remembered my massage therapist a while back mentioning when I was complaining about my sore back that it was actually tight hamstrings. I asked my dil who is a PT and she said that is one of the most common causes of lower back pain. So, I'm really working on my hamstring and hip flexors stretches. Something to keep in mind when your lower back starts to ache.

Pam and Marney: I'm finishing up The Master's Sun. Wasn't great, but kept me interested.
    Actually probably was great, but I'm just not a sci-fi type. She sees ghosts. I have bookmarked a couple other So Ji-Sub series. I'll try one this weekend and see what I think.

Break time over. Have a good week everyone! We are on the edge of Winter Storm Jonas. Hope you are, too!
  • maryschwartzroby
    maryschwartzroby Posts: 161 Member
    Options
    Jan.16-192.5
    Jan. 22- 191.5
    I really need to log in to MFP but still having issues.
    Great job on the losses.Everyone stay safe and warm.We have snow and wind so i'm staying in today.Expecting 6+inches today.
  • dasher602014
    Options
    Jan.16-192.5
    Jan. 22- 191.5
    I really need to log in to MFP but still having issues.
    Great job on the losses.Everyone stay safe and warm.We have snow and wind so i'm staying in today.Expecting 6+inches today.

Great going Mary! stay warm.
  • dasher602014
    Options

Pam, when you were losing, did you ever come upon a time when you just gave it a break? Seems like many people do and no one with good outcomes. Glad I only gained 10 pounds before I slapped myself. Any hints to avoid it?

Good question, Charlie. I went away more than once and it was never good. And Mary is back after a break too. For me, it always comes when life throws a curve. Sickness, or someone else being sick, or getting out of routine. Doesn't promise good maintenance. Pam, or anyone else, thoughts or comments?

I will say that I still am not back on the newsfeed as much. Commenting, etc. I try to support my friends, but, to be honest, how many ways can you say, "Good job?" Of my friends, probably 8 log their diaries and exercise consistently everyday. That is 16 posts a day. Plus any who do it occasionally. Times that by 365 a year and I've been doing this over two years, I have said, "good job" or "don't worry" one way or another well over 11,000 times! And when I post on diaries, I look at them. I don't just say, "good job" without actually looking. Then my Groups take some time. I am now only posting here really. I belong to another two. One is for cardiac problems and not active at all and the other is an 60+ that I just can't keep up with and have decided to just pop-in occasionally.

Since I don't have a large "number of days" (see aforementioned break), I have given up hitting the "done" button. I still log, but do not put it on the newsfeed. I get my encouragement from this group. I also have realized that when I don't log because I am away from the internet, I am not straying from my diet the way I used to. I guess that is a NSV.

I have had some lower back pain. Hadn't been doing my stretch machine. Yet, when I would stretch the lower back, it didn't hurt. When I stretch my hamstrings, my back hurts. I then remembered my massage therapist a while back mentioning when I was complaining about my sore back that it was actually tight hamstrings. I asked my dil who is a PT and she said that is one of the most common causes of lower back pain. So, I'm really working on my hamstring and hip flexors stretches. Something to keep in mind when your lower back starts to ache.

I NEEDED this reminder. Thanks!

Pam and Marney: I'm finishing up The Master's Sun. Wasn't great, but kept me interested.
    Actually probably was great, but I'm just not a sci-fi type. She sees ghosts. I have bookmarked a couple other So Ji-Sub series. I'll try one this weekend and see what I think.

Break time over. Have a good week everyone! We are on the edge of Winter Storm Jonas. Hope you are, too!

• gaylebodine
    gaylebodine Posts: 1,681 Member
    Options
    1/01/16: 180.4
    1/09/16: 178.6
    1/15/16: 174.3
    1/23/16: 176.4
    A bounce back now that I'm eating "normally" again but still down from the holiday high. Just the tail end of my virus lingers. Think it is Charlie's 3 week virus. Went to high tea with friends last Thursday and think the tiny but continuous courses took their toll. Fun though, and saw the Andrew and Jamie Wyeth exhibition at the Denver Art Museum. Fantastic! Great to see you all here! Charlie--hugs. Lill, yep, know about strategies and rules and working it or failing to work it.
    Thanks to the grocery gods for 100 calorie packs.
  • maryschwartzroby
    maryschwartzroby Posts: 161 Member
    Options
    What got me on the road to weight loss destruction was sweets.Last Easter until now that was my downfall.Then it's a spiral downfall to other unhealthy choices.The only thing I didn't start back on was sodas.
    I think my issues with MFP are over so no more excuses.Today i'm eating healthy,drinking my water and exercising.This is truly day 1 for me.
    Let's all get excited about our journey together.Yes,we'll have days we'll struggle but there is always a new day.Thanks for your support. I'm glad i found this group.
    Keep safe and warm today.